Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Nighthand posted:

The worst part about the swamp are the area with a few big rocks and 3-4 skeleton/draugr spawners. Specifically, because multiple times now I've had an archer spawn inside one of the rocks, which are unbreakable, allowing it to shoot out at me and me unable to damage it. I've died several times to "invisible" archers before I figured out what was going on.

A sledge will knock those suckers right out. Also handy for cheesing your way thru crypts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pill Clinton posted:

Just built The Round Table. What else should I put on the table. Or just leave it the way it is?

What's that crystal thing in the middle of the table?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

quietmonkey posted:

I'm generally not too into modding games and with Valheim have been maybe even more hesitant to touch mods than usual, but I came across this one https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/449?tab=description and it's the only one I use aside from a mod to store/connect to dedicated servers.

It's really satisfying to get perfect rows of crops and it overcomes the mild annoyance I had with wanting to get nice rows and utilize space efficiently.

What is this mod to store dedicated servers? Very annoying to have to type or copy it in every time

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rydiafan posted:

What's that crystal thing in the middle of the table?

Stone golem trophy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nighthand posted:

The worst part about the swamp are the area with a few big rocks and 3-4 skeleton/draugr spawners. Specifically, because multiple times now I've had an archer spawn inside one of the rocks, which are unbreakable, allowing it to shoot out at me and me unable to damage it. I've died several times to "invisible" archers before I figured out what was going on.

I've had that with the invulnerable trees, it sucks

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does anybody know why my kiln would stop working? It was working fine until it suddenly wasn't. Says I have no processable items in my inventory when I've got 70 wood - 20 in my hotbar even. I've tried destroying it and rebuilding it and nothing.

edit: nevermind I fixed it. I have a mod that pulls from chests if they're nearby for crafting, it apparently kept trying to pull from that no matter what. Put some wood in a chest nearby and blammo.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 14, 2021

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Retrowave Joe posted:

Seriously, just lay waste to the swamp. Build highways all over the place. It feels good, especially after getting draugr-blob tag teamed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The gear progression in this game is really good, by the time you've gotten max ugprades from all the swamp tier gear nothing in there will scare you anymore. You'll run around cutting your foes down as fast as they spawn.

It's just a bit of a shock when going from doing fine in troll hide to fighting stuff that cuts through it like it's nothing. It makes the mountains and plains biomes a bit less of a shock because you're used to being really flimsy early on.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

thehoodie posted:

What is this mod to store dedicated servers? Very annoying to have to type or copy it in every time

Quick Connect - https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/193?tab=description

It adds a small menu of buttons to the main menu that's populated by whatever server details you add to the config file it uses.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man that mod is looking drat good

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

xzzy posted:

The gear progression in this game is really good, by the time you've gotten max ugprades from all the swamp tier gear nothing in there will scare you anymore. You'll run around cutting your foes down as fast as they spawn.

It's just a bit of a shock when going from doing fine in troll hide to fighting stuff that cuts through it like it's nothing. It makes the mountains and plains biomes a bit less of a shock because you're used to being really flimsy early on.

I agree. The swamp biome almost acts as a mid-game tutorial. Until then you can skate by with leather, kiting trolls around, maybe you haven't played with resists or a shield or good food. The swamp is where you learn, if you haven't already, to only go out in the day, with full rest buff, the best foods, while being alert and using good gear. These lessons carry over into the mountains and plains which makes them much less of a shock to the system. Once you have the really good gear and habits going the swamp is nearly placid, although you never would have convinced me of that the first time I was trying to crack into that biome.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have some necks that spawn near my base where I park the boat, and I think they destroyed my boat. Is there a way to get them to stop spawning?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deathsquitoes in particular crack me up. So much internet lore about how fast they'll murder you and they're the worst thing ever. Wife is running around the plains spamming arrows in a panic because of it, I tell her to pull out her shield and stand there holding block. Few minutes later she's all "oh, this is easy."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

xzzy posted:

Deathsquitoes in particular crack me up. So much internet lore about how fast they'll murder you and they're the worst thing ever. Wife is running around the plains spamming arrows in a panic because of it, I tell her to pull out her shield and stand there holding block. Few minutes later she's all "oh, this is easy."

I think a lot of that was that if you accidentally wander near the plains when you're smaller, it's pretty much over if they zoom in on you. They hit for roughly 80. If you're good with shields it's somewhat less of a threat, if you're rocking plains armor even if you're caught unaware they hit for 16 or something. They were also toned down in a recent patch, so some of that paranoia might be from before then, I hadn't encountered one before that patch so I can't comment.

The deathsquitoes are important because of the nice arrows you can make from them, hunting those down whenever I'm near a plains biome is a priority.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

also the poison blobs are INSANE until you learn how to deal with them.

The best way I've found is:

Jump and do a strong sword attack that goes off just as you land. It one shots with Silver Sword, not sure about Iron/Bronze. This also works really well for leeches too.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

genericnick posted:

Also I love deathsquitos now.

We're just edging into the plains as a group now, and I'm wondering how you deal with the deathsquitos spawning. Furlings are easy enough to manage, but the deathsquitos flying, how do you stop them coming into your base?

Big stone fence and a lot of workbenches?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fennesz posted:

The best way I've found is:

Jump and do a strong sword attack that goes off just as you land. It one shots with Silver Sword, not sure about Iron/Bronze. This also works really well for leeches too.

I would hope that a weapon from the next biome that you have to fight through slimes to get to would be effective against said slimes

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

snail posted:

We're just edging into the plains as a group now, and I'm wondering how you deal with the deathsquitos spawning. Furlings are easy enough to manage, but the deathsquitos flying, how do you stop them coming into your base?

I built my base on one of the stone pillars. That helped.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

snail posted:

They just don't come into your base. Building a base will disable them spawning close enough to be aggroed near the base. The only time they've ever entered my base is when I was returning and I dragged them there.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

causticBeet posted:

Thistle always respawn in the same spot!

I took the advice earlier in the thread and started marking locations. I have one Forest area that has its initial objectives marked (dungeons, copper, etc) and a separate biome that’s just thistle and mushrooms marked in a loop. This lets me travel there and just run around guided by minimap dots and walk away with a full stack of each, which is super helpful for my pre-plains cooking menu.

I've been using https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/182 to track things. I was already being quite pedantic about noting locations, but I don't mind this mod because you need to interact with (or literally be looking at or standing on) something for it to record. This can be tweaked, but I figure it's a happy medium.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

For people who host servers, there's a great new mod out: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/477

Short version is that it gives the server control of playerfiles instead of clients, so you can have a more self-contained environment, more like a minecraft server. As opposed to people logging in with high levels in everything and maxed out gear. It also prevents the temptation to game the system by "teleporting" metals etc. by worldhopping. It's also planned to allow it to enforce mod configs, so you could set up a modded server and ensure people don't break it (on purpose or accident) by having mix-matched config files.

Modpack tools a la minecraft are not going to be far behind I think, this'll make the game awesome for modded community servers. :woop:

Woden
May 6, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They just don't come into your base. Building a base will disable them spawning close enough to be aggroed near the base. The only time they've ever entered my base is when I was returning and I dragged them there.

It's this, other mobs will come when you're making noise but they just seem to chill until something gets close to them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

For a lot of people, myself included, their first foray into plains was as an accident where plains was right next to a back forest. I got there in leather gear, wooden shield. So yeah, deathsquitos one shot me and i couldnt sneak past them. Now with fully upgraded padded armor, i dont even have to try to block.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The worst deathsquito encounter is getting just a liiiiittle too close to a plains biome in a karve.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Was playing with another friend and I'm less geared out and we just got murdered by a 2-star Draugur before we could get a portal down. So now we need a new boat! :v:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I ran out of content last night. loving great game, needs some tweaks and balancing. I put 180 hours on it very quickly.

Things to fix:
Lag in heavily built/terraformed areas. I know it's not optimized graphically, but you get some heavy duty lag spikes both there and retrieving data from the server.
Fulings randomly spawning inside a stone walled base. Not fun when you get a 2* and you were feeding coal to smelters and let your food buffs fall off
It's almost impossible to protect a ship, especially in the plains. Maybe fiddle with the behavior of mobs swimming around sea walls to explode your longship while offline.

That longship got demolished overnight by Fulings.

Quality of life:
Adjust drop rates on certain things. Having to toss 747463254849 Greydwarf eyes come to mind. Low drop rates on leather scraps early on are a real grind. Black metal becomes pretty over abundant too. Iron is a pain in the rear end to get at times.
R to stow weapons could use a tweak. Instead of hitting R or a number when attacked have a left click pull your equipped weapons back out instead of how it makes you punch unarmed.

Balance:
Post-buff Bonemass is a pretty good fight now.
Yagluth is way too easy IMHO. I was expecting much higher damage from him.
Moder seemed pretty easy too.
Bonemass forsaken ability is O.P. as hell

I'm pretty much done with it until there is more content.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the max horizontal distance on black iron? It's about 23 core wood 2m spaces from the edge of the stone walls my friend put up in to the stone pillar. I'm anchored on both sides but don't want to demolish my 4m support pillars yet and see if this span holds, because I might just raise ground halfway in between or something if needed. I would really like to have a catwalk going out there then one back to black forest trees and have a couple cool lookouts that way that mobs wouldn't from the ground

Woden
May 6, 2006
The next update seems to be about crafting and cooking. More uses for things you get shitloads of would be nice and I'd love to build a black metal church or something.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

quietmonkey posted:

Quick Connect - https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/193?tab=description

It adds a small menu of buttons to the main menu that's populated by whatever server details you add to the config file it uses.

Quoting this to use it later :yum:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you see it coming and you gotta get your viking bro's back.

https://i.imgur.com/VGcElYR.mp4

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think I need to upgrade my bow to kill the Elder. My fire arrows are not doing much to it right now. Wasn't there something about building campfires around it too?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Glass of Milk posted:

I think I need to upgrade my bow to kill the Elder. My fire arrows are not doing much to it right now. Wasn't there something about building campfires around it too?

campfires will damage enemies if they stand in it and Elder if you kite him around the pillars well he'll stand in all the fires if you place them right (by the pillars)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

xzzy posted:

When you see it coming and you gotta get your viking bro's back.

https://i.imgur.com/VGcElYR.mp4

true bro moment

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

Yeah, because you don't need a workbench to place campfires and they do fire damage. So you just spam the area with them and hope the boss walks on them. It's pretty easy to avoid all the damage from the elder by dancing around the poles and let your campfires do all the work.

If you're really industrious you can completely tunnel out the elder's spawn platform and have a safe hideout under there. It's cheesy as gently caress because the boss isn't THAT hard, but the option is certainly there. Just dig the whole drat thing out so it's hovering, then a little gap around the edges so you can see the elder wandering around outside.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Glass of Milk posted:

Do you have the Finewood bow? The Elder was pretty easy with fire arrows and that bow. You'll need Fine wood and core wood (From pine trees, not Fir) to get it. If you gather enough, and have enough deer hides on-hand you can almost instantly max out it's upgrade too.

Speaking of, I'm back from my first real foray into the swamp after learning how to fish (heh) and how to make carrot stew. Also helped that I got my bronze armor up another level as well. Like earlier posters just said, poo poo gets much easier when you prepare thoroughly.

I spent way too long than I'd care to admit hauling a cart with over 90 tin and 50 copper ore back to my base, because a hill was in the way. I ended up doing massive amounts of terraforming on a hillside making a switchback trail just to get the 3000+lb cart up the slope. Whoever said to make paths everywhere was a genius, though. That made the trip about 30x easier.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
if you're in the swamp definitely spend some time looking for turnip seeds. they can be a little difficult to pick out with the way the lighting is, but it's also used in one of the few recipes for food that can be made entirely in-house and it's even better than carrot soup.

really looking forward to the next update, cooking with bjorn isn't a game I thought I'd ever enjoy but it's been super fun.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I use a bronze atavir and it makes swamp monsters 90% non threatening, you have m1 to poke, the special attack knocks away everything around you in a circle and staggers everything it hits, and blobs literally can't get close enough to poison you

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone messed around with modding meshes and textures? I have some pretty cool model files I'd like to swap in but they load in at crazy sizes and angles. Not sure how to fix the issue.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Blobs you can just shoot with arrows while backpedaling on the paths you built in the swamp so you don't end up in leech water, you can also use a mace to 1 hit them in melee but it's risky if you miss and can't get away in time.

Even if you get poisoned without poison mead in the swamp you just need to make sure you had a full meal and you can usually tank it, you should only ever get poisoned in the swamp if you are careless or taking swims for no reason.

Also 2 star archer draugr are the stuff of nightmares early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Has anyone messed around with modding meshes and textures? I have some pretty cool model files I'd like to swap in but they load in at crazy sizes and angles. Not sure how to fix the issue.
You'll have to adjust scale and rotation in Blender or something and re-export the model. Or are you saying it looks hosed up even after tweaks?

I'd really like to add more comfort items, like drinking horns, hanging chains and wall rugs.