Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
first impressions are: don't buy the switch version, the textures are MUDDY and the game has very bad depth of field settings. It looks even worse docked. All this will be forgiven if the performance is good enough for hundreds of bugs (and I can't complain about portable EDF). I'm getting so many new chars I'm not being able to test all of them. Combat feels good, though. The bugs feel a bit dumb and not really aggressive, but it might be starter missions. We'll see.

Yeah, the difficulty will start spiking super early on hard which is good. I'm on mission 5 and I'm already getting big robots and godzillas. Let's see how it goes

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
There's really a lot of different chars, though the char selection is padded with alpha, beta ,etc variations. The characters are not locked to weapons so apparently if you level them enough (by rescuing the same char multiple times) the character unlocks different weapon types. I don't know how far this can go but it might be possible to end up with a wing diver that uses fencer weapons.

So far melee chars feel a bit overpowered since they have great mobility and strong attacks. This spartan char just wrecks everything. The pirate is really good too. Some chars are pretty cool and unique like the astronaut, who has a low G jump and a rocket boost thats super fast but you can't turn.

The team swapping mechanic feels great. You can do several things like getting into melee range or escaping with divers, moving to higher ground for better positioning for artillery chars etc. I feel like one of the challenges of EDF was having a loadout that could handle all the enemy types at once so you'll pretty much have all the tools all the time here, but so far it doesnt feel too easy. The enemy diversity is super high so even with 4 chars I'm stretched thin sometimes.

All the characters never, ever shut up. They have voice lines for shooting, jumping, taking damage, using skills, rolling etc..

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It kinda sound like Edf mixed with a lego game what with the collectable characters with specific abilities.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good news: the game does not give a gently caress that certain setpieces bring the fps down to low single digits. They do not skimp on the bugs. The extra flexibility of having 4 team members who can equip weapons from other classes to a certain extent gives you so much flexibility that they really need to push the challenge so things are not too easy. The funny thing about it is that the absurdly hard setpieces from previous games feel fair and challenging to a reasonable degree here. There's a lot of variation even within the classes themselves. I'm running with the EDF:IA wing diver who is sort of a heavy wing diver, with double the regular diver HP, slower flight but faster recharge, and can use heavy weapons like that one seeking missile that one shots robots. I can just fly around clearing robots with it. Then there's the EDF3 pale wing that has super fast flight but it's slow to recharge, and uses mostly classic diver weapons. All the options are really really cool.

One obvious negative point here: You have to grind HP for each char, which is as absurd as it sounds, with over 100. You have to figure out your core chars and stick to them as much as possible to progress smoothly. You reliably gain around 50 hp per char per mission so at least grinding each char is waaaaay faster than regular edf and it's just a mission reward, you dont need to pick them up or anything. Chars seem to gain HP relative to their base HP too, so lower HP chars gain slower.

I'm currently on mission 40 and still seeing new enemies so it feels like this will keep going for a while, hopefully it doesnt have the curse of EDF spinoffs that end too abruptly.

This is quite certainly the best EDF spinoff they've ever done (maybe competes with the wii one) but it 100% feels like sandlot edfs while feeling really really fresh. I'm sure it'll be a hit and I'll buy it again when it's out for PC.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I just hit the credits on hard. 60 missions with a ton of variety and that unlocked hardest. Probably inferno will unlock after that. The progression felt great and the missions are very good. I unlocked a ton of chars but there's a lot more to unlock. This is probably one of my favorite EDF games. It wouldn't surprise me if online multiplayer is much, much harder since you only get one char and lose the almost cheating flexibility of having 1-2 mobility focused chars who can carry your low mobility/high damage chars around.

Interesting tidbit: The credits are already in english and show english VAs, localization teams etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the game comes out real soon in the US if it's like this.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I am impatient and have spare money so I imported the game. How english friendly is it? Can I basically guess my way through menus?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tensai posted:

I am impatient and have spare money so I imported the game. How english friendly is it? Can I basically guess my way through menus?

Yeah EDF is super import friendly. If you have experience with EDF games you can guess 100% of the menu stuff. Weapons have damage numbers so you pretty much have all the info you need. You can figure out the characters and what they do just by using them. There's an accessory slot that gives out certain modifiers, those are a bit trickier but google translate works really well on them. Once you figure out which ones are good you can stick to them until you gather a lot more.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
here's an example of an accessory translated by Google translate:

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Awesome. I have been playing these games since the ps2 times, so I'm well versed. Now I'm excited. Thanks for the info

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Okay the credits having localization teams already is valulable intel for sure. Thank you for your service.

I thought Yukes had an interesting first stab at an edf game, lots of changes to the formula that I loved but held back by some I didn't (not to mention some of the same flaws as in IE). What I've read here is pretty encouraging!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty great, really. All the spinoffs had interesting trooper types but always what sucked was the encounter design and lack of scale. Unsurprisingly, the characters for IA and IR are some of the best alongside the original chars. It's pretty fun playing them in a game with regular EDF combat.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A few more comments as I work towards unlocking inferno:
multiplayer works surprisingly well, even playing with japanese players. I hope multiplayer is not region locked so I can play with non jp people without buying the game again. It just makes the game very very trivial since you actually get 4 players each with their 4 man team. It's still fun. Each new difficulty level introduces new weapons for all characters, sometimes they're straight up upgrades but sometimes you get weapon variations.

this game is indeed easier than the average edf but a lot of it is because so much bs is removed. no picking armor upgrades, you get weapons and characters faster than you can test them and armor gets upgraded at quite a decent pace. You get a set number of characters to collect in each mission and they're marked on the map. most characters start with sizable health pools, up to 5k to begin with on heavy characters. I wouldn't mind if the mainline game adopted these mechanics. I'm still finding new characters, there really is a ton of them.

apparently inferno introduces health caps so we'll see how hard it gets. in conclusion, the game is easier but in a good way, the character swapping feels great and you feel quite powerful.

There's a few issues with character balance because each character gets one ability with the left trigger. air raiders get bombing plans that hit for a lot of damage, some characters get turrets or powerful mines, additional melee or ranged attacks etc. rangers only get the dodge roll which is nothing in comparison, considering wing divers can fly and equip the same weapons as rangers after enough unlocks. their ults aren't really that powerful to make up for this. pretty much any character that has a non flying mobility ability feels subpar as any team will have 1 or 2 flying characters who will handle all the mobility. Some characters have ults or abilities that fall off completely on harder difficulties as they don't deal enough damage to kill. there are accessories that boost that type of damage so that's probably how they'll scale.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
But the important question. Are there friendly soldiers besides the four standbys in each mission? Can they sing? This is important to me.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drakenel posted:

But the important question. Are there friendly soldiers besides the four standbys in each mission? Can they sing? This is important to me.

your 4 man team is always around and they'll sing along with you when prompted. There's also extra characters alongside you in some missions, like the Canadian edf representative, who's a honey addict wearing a bear suit. Every country representative is the biggest and most ridiculous stereotype ever and I love it. well, maybe except for the german one

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some closing thoughts here as I got real close to 100%ing the content (they'll release new DLC chars on jan, feb and march, with extra missions by march).

The first time through the missions on hard felt the most balanced. You have a limited char selection and have to make do with whatever chars you get and you haven't rescued enough of them to unlock extra weapon categories yet. Armor gets added at a rather modest pace of 5-20 per mission, so the base health pools of each char (and their variants) matters a lot more. Basically chars have the most individuality at this point.

Once you beat the game and unlock hardest and inferno after that, the dynamic of the game changes a lot. Each difficulty adds more chars to rescue per mission, armor gets added at a much faster pace (100+ per mission on hardest and all the way to 500 on inferno), all chars get a new weapon that's either a straight up upgrade or a stronger weapon variant and any char will level up 2 or 3 times when you rescue a char you already have (each level up means a different weapon category unlock). It becomes a game of figuring out the most broken combos you can make to break the game over your knee. Some chars that were good at the beginning because they had high base armor or good initial weapons fall off completely in favor of characters that have strong abilities/ultimates.

I beat all the missions on inferno on my first try because at that point you have so, so many options and there's no setpiece you can't handle when you have most of the characters, weapons and accessories and your main team can equip all weapons and therefore cheese any map in 10 different ways. The armor gain greatly outpaces enemy damage if you stick to a main team. Even if inferno has cheap one shots it doesnt matter because you have 4 characters who can revive each other. The maps would be plenty hard in a standard EDF game, it's more about the mechanics here.

Even then, it doesnt make the game any less fun, though it might kill a bit of the longevity (read artificial padding) of mainline games by removing a ton of the grind. This game is more of an EDF power fantasy than a fight against insurmountable odds. Think of it as fun in a chill, Disgaea or Warframe way. It still gets quite challenging at the last missions.

I still havent got all character variants to drop, and missing at least 5.

This is definitely my favorite EDF spin off by far, not even close. It might even beat some of the older EDFs, really. It's quite polished and has a lot of charm and ideas that I hope get implemented in the main series, especially not having to grab armor and random weapons mid mission.

When the game comes out in the US I'd recommend setting yourself some self imposed challenges after beating inferno. You can limit yourself to one char to get a mostly classic EDF experience, and you only get whatever extra random characters you can rescue during the mission, or not even those, just go it alone. I'd love to do MP with goons where we can only use one character each, since regular multiplayer might be pretty much impossible to lose.

Extra point: This game has probably my favorite maps of all EDF games. They really feel different from each other, have a ton of character and the fact they're set up like arenas with edges you can fall off from makes it a lot more arcadey. They do have a ton of different maps and barely use some of them. I could see mission packs making better use of some underused ones. Mission packs could also add a ton of difficulty once they get some player data. I'd 100% buy mission packs with harder missions.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 31, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Any missions where you need super long range weapons or underground maps?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yes to both, but you don't really need long range in most cases besides for safety reasons when you can fly around and generally move quite fast. There's the usual advancing bots on the beach encounter and circle of transport ships that are made easier with long range weapons.

The cave map is used quite sparingly compared to the other maps, maybe it'll see more use in the dlc mission packs but the lack of underground missions is a plus in my opinion.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Just broke 45% completion for online, more than halfway to 70% now. I have a huge appreciation for fencer now, especially spine drivers, mortars, and hand cannons. Once you get about mid-way on hardest and you can grab the 3-3 exoskeleton upgrades and a muzzle stabilizers the hand cannons really start popping off.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Hand Cannons are fun as hell when you can lay down fire in a straight line.
Hard is hard because the drops don't really keep up with the enemies. Hardest won't give you the three clears, but the GOOD stuff starts dropping. Particularly your super fighting robots gaining speed and turn rate.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Something I learned about Hand/Heavy cannons way too late despite maining Fencer is that if you dual wield them they get a hidden ROF boost. You actually get about 3x the fire rate out of a pair of NC290s or whatever rather than the 2x you would expect. It's very, very good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, alternating with them neutralizes a lot of the recoil. they kind of suck otherwise.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jackhammers > Spine Drivers all day

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hwurmp posted:

Agreed.

The jackhammer + shotgun combo is nuts for damage and mobility.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Hwurmp posted:

DeNofa posted:

Agreed.

The jackhammer + shotgun combo is nuts for damage and mobility.

yeah jackhammers are cool but the spinedriver has double the range and can oneshot drones

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

whole series is on sale atm on steam which means a lot of people are playing it right now if you want to get into some online games

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so they really forgot about the US release of world brothers uh? too bad, it's a great game. Hopefully the multiplayer is not region locked so I don't need to buy another copy to play with people here

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

english website still says 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

so they really forgot about the US release of world brothers uh? too bad, it's a great game. Hopefully the multiplayer is not region locked so I don't need to buy another copy to play with people here
It still seems to be on the way.
https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1368396168175247362

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They just released a mission pack DLC with 11 extra levels. What's surprising about it is that unlike EDF5 mission packs, this one features a significant amount of extra enemies, including EDF2017's quadruped fortress and that huge centipede from other EDF games. It might be released alongside the US version with everything included.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It does draw from all the EDF games, so it is easy to add so many enemies. Still glad they remembered centipede.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

It does draw from all the EDF games, so it is easy to add so many enemies. Still glad they remembered centipede.

Oh yeah, my point here was that they usually just shuffle enemies around for DLC packs, and yet this one features extra enemies. Hopefully the extra missions also add much needed difficulty since the game can get quite easy once you have enough tools at your disposal.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

So Iron Rain is 17 bucks for the next couple of days

Worth it at that price or nah?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Psycho Landlord posted:

So Iron Rain is 17 bucks for the next couple of days

Worth it at that price or nah?
Iron Rain is an inferior experience and has a serious case of stunlocking. You won't get to fight armies of enemies and your grind is various currency to buy upgrades. I would say Insect Armageddon is better if you want something closer to EDF. I guess you can try it out after doing the other EDF games.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whenever someone brings up iron rain here i go looking to see if anyone found a way to disable the stunlocking. no one has because no one really cares that much about iron rain.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Iron Rain is an inferior experience and has a serious case of stunlocking. You won't get to fight armies of enemies and your grind is various currency to buy upgrades. I would say Insect Armageddon is better if you want something closer to EDF. I guess you can try it out after doing the other EDF games.

Jesus calling it worse than IA is loving damning, and also not what other folks have been saying in response to this question

The prevailing theme is "only play solo if you get it it's miserable online" which is pretty lol for an EDF

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Unlike most EDF games, you can't join a lobby with a game in progress in Iron Rain. In the rare event you do see a lobby in the list, it undoubtedly will lag like crazy (you can clear all the enemies out and your teammates will still have some left on their screen, so you wait until all players are clear) or, more likely, they have put a password on the room. The game has several other issues like only running at 80% of 1920x1080 resolution with a 60 FPS cap unless you use third-party mods or the Unreal Engine console injector.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

I liked the intent of Iron Rain because the TONE and setieces are way more classic EDF than Insect Armageddon. But yeah a lack of enemy flinch and you flinching over everything was the most :sigh: And while you did get some sweet giant monster and fortress fights, they kind of hosed you on the final battle being a huge slog.

Because even being in the general zip code of an explosion or a big walking robot would cause you to flinch, not just direct hits. A real bastard with so many cool weapons being charge up or spin up.

Also there was some really obvious enemy AI reading your intent. Most notable in that it made melee a lot easier to manage because some big enemies would rush you if you tried to use a charged weapon or lock on missile, but then U turn to run away when I started power up a charged sword. I beat one of the harder by using their absolute dedication to kiting me to reach optimal "Punish the melee attacks" distance to make them stop attacking me on demand :v: So I'd just be gleefully ziplining after aliens trying to reposition to their Optimal Distance when I got tired of them bumrushing to crowd me for using cool railguns or miniguns.

Plus if I remember right, charging up a sword gave you some measure of anti-flinch? I remember discovering how great melee was in some intended to be an easy breather cave mission stunlocking me into submission otherwise.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 26, 2021

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Don't forget that that the currency system is a grind to incentivise you to buy energy gems with Real Cash Money.

God, what a shitshow.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

My group of friends played through Iron Rain and had fun?

Game is definitely flawed though, useless gimmick weapons that sucked up hard to get money, combat entirely focused on having everybody packing the revive items, touch of death combat where you're basically going to die if you get into a bad spot.

The storyline is camp as all hell and it's still pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Glad to hear you have fun.

Just to nitpick game design:
You can game over by being outside the small map for too long. Possible to get knocked outside and stunned with some bad luck. It is an American game.
They have limits on how much health you have, which you have to buy, in tiers. You can P2W to a point, but you get about 10000 health or so. No clowning hordes of enemies by nuking yourself repeatedly. About the only real "improvement" is playing with 5 other people, which seems like overkill against the smaller horde size.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 26, 2021