Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Biked up to one of my favorite places on the local mountains after a storm cell dumped a bunch of snow all over it for the past few days. I think this is like a 3k jump on my previous max elevation gain? Am dead but happy :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

God that second shot. I'm so jelly.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
How was it up there? I am thinking about heading up there on Tuesday.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

bicievino posted:

God that second shot. I'm so jelly.

A lot of this area burned during our hell season in late summer / fall but it's making a fast come back, and I'm so grateful that Crystal Lake itself was spared. It's a special place.

e.pilot posted:

How was it up there? I am thinking about heading up there on Tuesday.

Gorgeous as usual! The amount snow tourists you'd expect for a weekend but whatever, more business for Adam and the cafe.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How steep are the gradients? Shimano says the official gap between the front chainrings shouldn’t exceed 16t, but people have run 52/34 without issues. That would certainly be the cheapest option.

If you have a short cage Ultegra RD then an 11-30 cassette is the largest you can officially run, so you’d need to budget for that as well.

This is the climb that spanks me:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35403901

I'll have to check the RD when I get home.
Cranks are FSA.
My knees were not good after this but I've only done it twice so far.

Or you know, just toughen up.

Sticky Date fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 15, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

What's the external on your rim?

Also, I would absolutely consider staggering front/rear. On my road race wheels I have a 2mm difference front/rear. The radius difference is irrelevant to the handling, imo.

Edit: also, I think at your weight 25 or 26 could be faster if the road surface is good, but it wouldn't take much for 28s to be better.

If you're really curious, it's not that hard to use the Chung Method assuming you can find a representative stretch of pavement to do it over.

29.4 external front/rear. The 105% "rule" would say that a 28mm tire is exactly the right size but I'm imagining it's going to be bigger on the actual rim.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Trying some more street oriented tires on my Grail today, as I want to save the Schwalbe G-Ones for actual gravel. However, the Continental Contact Speeds do not have tan sidewalls. Expecting I'll need to turn in my beard and flannel shirt like they were gun and badge to an angry gravel lieutenant.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Objurium posted:

Biked up to one of my favorite places on the local mountains after a storm cell dumped a bunch of snow all over it for the past few days. I think this is like a 3k jump on my previous max elevation gain? Am dead but happy :toot:

:swoon:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

29.4 external front/rear. The 105% "rule" would say that a 28mm tire is exactly the right size but I'm imagining it's going to be bigger on the actual rim.

I'm lazy, so I'd put a 28 on the rear first and measure it, then decide if I wanted to put either a 28 or 25 on the front based on actual measured width.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Ola posted:

Trying some more street oriented tires on my Grail today, as I want to save the Schwalbe G-Ones for actual gravel. However, the Continental Contact Speeds do not have tan sidewalls. Expecting I'll need to turn in my beard and flannel shirt like they were gun and badge to an angry gravel lieutenant.

Nah, tan sidewalls is actually a trend invented by people who don't ride their bikes except in perfect weather.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bicievino posted:

I'm lazy, so I'd put a 28 on the rear first and measure it, then decide if I wanted to put either a 28 or 25 on the front based on actual measured width.

:hmmyes:

Is the Venge on Rapides or is it something else

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I'd like you to try just so I know if the 28 is wider or narrower (like my 25) than advertised.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

We’ll never know because I dropped off the bike to get the steerer cut and just told them to mount up the 25s so I don’t have to deal with it!!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I'd like you to try just so I know if the 28 is wider or narrower (like my 25) than advertised.

I've got some callipers coming at the end of the week so I can let you know the measurements on my setup (20mm internal, 30mm external, 25mm/28mm gp5k tl)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FWIW the 26c Turbos measure out at 27.8mm on the CL50 wheels.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bicievino posted:

Nah, tan sidewalls is actually a trend invented by people who don't ride their bikes except in perfect weather.

The fact that they don't have white walls for performance tires is a crime.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

Tan when you just don't wash them down every ride:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Tan when you just don't wash them down every ride:

best tan

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

bicievino posted:

My tan sidewalls are dirty as hell even without poo poo weather riding tyvm :colbert:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

My tan walls look great because I only ride inside

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i have decided that i'm going to start measuring and logging my bike rides by how far my portable speaker makes it through pantera's (canonical) discography. today i rode on a neat rural mup and made it as far as Message In Blood

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BeastPussy posted:

My tan sidewalls are dirty as hell even without poo poo weather riding tyvm :colbert:

he said trend setters, not followers :v:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

My tan walls look great because I only ride inside

Update: I washed my tanwalls today and they look fantastic

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any ways to fall/eat poo poo “properly” on a bicycle? When I was learning to skate as a kid, I found ‘rolling into it’ to be a good technique to distribute the force more evenly.

Obviously every crash is different, and not getting caught on the complicated hunk of metal your straddling is hard, but any pro tips?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dodge the bike, don't land on your hands and break/strain your wrists. Ideally you'll tuck and roll but falls happen fast.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Proper falling takes a lot of practice because it relies entirely on muscle memory. So if you don't participate in an activity where that's routinely practiced then you're sorta out of luck when the time comes. But this pretty much nails the basics for what you should be doing...

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Dodge the bike, don't land on your hands and break/strain your wrists. Ideally you'll tuck and roll but falls happen fast.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Helmet, gloves, tune up your bike frequently, don't let mechanical issue go between rides.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Update: I washed my tanwalls today and they look fantastic

I dunno, the lack of pic has me doubtful.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Aeroad saga is hilarious.

Canyon posted:

As you know, our Alpecin-Fenix Cycling Team pro Mathieu van der Poel broke part of the handlebars of his Canyon Aeroad CFR during a bike race at the beginning of March. This did not show up in any of our industry-standard intensive testing procedures according to ISO4210-5, which we always carry out before launching new products. To ensure the safety of our customers, we will replace the drop bars on the cockpit with a reinforced version.
Therefore, we will equip all CFR and CF SLX bikes in the market with the new drop bars, which will be available from July. We have asked our customers not to use their Aeroads until then. To compensate them for the downtime of not being able to ride their Aeroad CFR and CF SLX and to thank them for their loyalty and patience, we will give them a credit. The payment is linked to the repair and will be made after the replacement of the drop bars has been carried out and they have received their Aeroad back from us. We will contact them in due time about the exact repair and payment procedure.
You are probably also wondering about the status of the seat post. The improvement of the seat post will take longer than we originally thought. We currently expect to be able to offer a suitable solution in the autumn that will satisfy our customers and us 100%. We are sorry that we cannot give you an earlier date now. We are also very sorry that we will probably not be able to deliver ordered Aeroads before autumn this year. We ask for your understanding and apologize for a long time off the bike or the waiting time and will also offer compensation for those who won’t be able to use their bikes.
It is important to us that all customers can ride their Aeroads as soon as possible - just like the riders of our pro teams who are currently riding the Aeroad from victory to victory. The handlebars solution used here is safe and complies with UCI regulations, but unfortunately, it is not suitable for series production. Our pro teams will also receive new drop bars and will be equipped with the same configuration as our customers in the future.

- Don’t ride your bike until you get new bars
- Bars won’t be available until at least July
- We’ll give you a credit but only after you ship the bike back to us and we replace the bars
- Oh and the seatpost won’t have a fix until the autumn, but it won’t matter because you shouldn’t ride it because of the bars! Welp, cya

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Specialized are also poo poo having not sent me the replacement Power Saddle for the one that broke over a month ago, but at least the bike can be ridden before the autumn.

[edit]

Not sure pedal bearings are supposed to look like that (and they've eaten into the spindle so the replacement bearings don't turn, welp)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 17, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Canyons being too good to be true is really getting proven out recently

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guinness posted:

Canyons being too good to be true is really getting proven out recently

The old Aeroad was a great bike, they've just tried a bit too hard to be different on the new one.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

steel is real yall

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Aeroad saga is hilarious.

- We’ll give you a credit but only after you ship the bike back to us and we replace the bars

I think mentioning a credit but not describing how to compute how much you get means it might as well be $0.

Is there a 2nd round of shipping planned for the seatpost? Cuz christ almighty it would add to MvdP's legend if he defeated a bike brand.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I think mentioning a credit but not describing how to compute how much you get means it might as well be $0.

Is there a 2nd round of shipping planned for the seatpost? Cuz christ almighty it would add to MvdP's legend if he defeated a bike brand.

Also Canyon US are denying that any credit offer exists

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

- Don’t ride your bike until you get new bars
- Bars won’t be available until at least July
- Oh and the seatpost won’t have a fix until the autumn, but it won’t matter because you shouldn’t ride it because of the bars! Welp, cya
LMBO what a shitshow

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also Canyon US are denying that any credit offer exists

Also whats the credit going to be good for? Canyon don't sell much on their store after all.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Also whats the credit going to be good for? Canyon don't sell much on their store after all.

People are hopeful it means money back off the original purchase, but if it means "a thousand euros as a downpayment on our BRAND NEW ULTIMATE!!!" then I could see a class action lawsuit happening in the US at the very least

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They'd have said refund if they were getting money back. Specifically using the language 'credit' means it will be a voucher of some kind. They'll get £100 to use on the store or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I bet you 50p it will cover handlebar tape “as a goodwill gesture”* but not the postage for it.

*in accepting this gift you agree not to seek further monetary compensation in any form