Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is there a good guide anywhere of how to get started in this game? i feel like im just loving up and my entire base is becoming a rats nest of cables and pipes and vents

Just restart and play and learn or you will just get shown the best ways to do things on youtube and never have that fun. As you get questions just google them and learn over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

As an actual piece of advice on how to keep stuff more organized, try to leave at least a one tile gap between parallel pipes/wires/etc. That allows you to put bridges over them instead of having to reroute. Alternatively put bridges in periodically if you're going to run things directly side by side.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

is there a good guide anywhere of how to get started in this game? i feel like im just loving up and my entire base is becoming a rats nest of cables and pipes and vents

I consulted this set of guides when I was trying to figure out how to push from the early game into the midgame. I remember feeling a bit lost once I figured out how to safely get a base to cycle 30 to 50 or so, and this guy's mid game guide helped me figure out what the next set of goals were and give me some ideas on how to get there. Some of the material is out of date and many of the solutions are not optimal, but at this point I think that's actually a plus since it's not just "here's the best and most efficient solution to your problem." It's also nice that it's not a video but a written guide, which is sadly kind of rare for ONI.

Francis John's videos are very good but he tends towards giving you optimal solutions that he spent a lot of time minmaxing. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe not the best for a beginner, since

Late Fees posted:

loving up your first several bases very badly and feeling like you're constantly putting out fires is part of the intended progression in this game, don't worry too much about it

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

One thing that got me into the game was finding a good seed with tools not included. Find yourself one with a couple good vents and a cool slush geyser in a solid area and it makes the game more fun when you're learning the mechanics.

Hydrogen vents gradually go from "Free hydrogen and power, cool!" to "Well poo poo time to figure out temperature management."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

One hint that might help a new player is that all packets in an automated system (fluids in pipes, gasses in vents, solids in conveyors) are self-moving. The pump is just to get the stuff out of the overworld and into the system. Packets will move themselves from output to input. This means if you have a loop connected to both ends of a valve or bridge the packets in that loop will go around forever and ever on their own (your own personal Loop Hero in ONI :v: ).

Also the pathing for the packets can quickly become messy and confused so it's generally a good idea to put valves and bridges in your system to act as one-way gates and force the system to work how you wish it would work.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I posted some stuff in the before-I-play thread, there's a wiki for it with everything from the thread compiled here: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Oxygen_Not_Included
There's some youtube guides, but the ones I've seen are like 1 hr per topic, so I wouldn't start with that route unless you've played a bit and got curious, there's a ton of stuff. For general base layout, I think the recommendation is to use 3 square wide vertical shafts between rooms for airflow and linking floors.

yook posted:

Oxygen Not Included
  • If you select a configurable object, there's a Copy Settings button on the bottom right you can click then select an area to apply settings to everything in it. It's a huge convenience when setting up rows of storage lockers or farm tiles.
  • The smaller buttons in the bottom right are for giving Duplicates direct orders. The one to know about is the sweep liquids command for cleaning up spills, the rest will show as options when you select anything relevant to them or happen automatically.
  • Learn how ranching works. While the game presents it as a food source, most of its value is in the materials critters can generate. Hatches (the ones that look like headcrabs with teeth) are the easiest to start with, dreckos are good but take some setting up to make full use out of.
  • WASD scrolls the screen. I mostly prefer to navigate using the mouse, but holding mouse click then keyboard scrolling is great for laying down the big multiscreen pipelines.
  • The piping system doesn't always quite work as you'd expect for a pressurized system. Often it behaves a bit more like if the game sees the pipes as one-way roads, uses connected sources/sinks to assign directions to each section, then the gas/liquid squares act as individual cars driving along those roads. This isn't something to worry about too much, especially early on, but as your system gets more sprawling and convoluted you may run into weird things like mid-pipe clogs or junctions where one leg is empty but the others are stuck/full. A good practice to help fix these is to avoid routing pipelines directly through source/sink squares. Instead, route the pipeline alongside it and connect each one with its own single small side branch. That way the tile is only interacting with the larger system as a single pipe source or a sink rather than simultaneously trying to be both and sometimes confusing it.

On a circulating closed loop cooling system this behavior also means leaving air in the pipe actually helps it flow better. A full pipe starts to seize because no individual water square can move until the one in front of it does so they eventually all get locked up.
  • Dig aggressively, especially early on. The cracked looking blocks hide objects, which can be things like plant seeds or critters that help jump start production. You'll start needing new biomes and geysers by the time your initial water reservoirs start running out and digging's how you find them.
  • The game has a sandbox mode, you enable it in options -> Game then click the Sandbox button to turn it on. There can be a surprising amount of design and engineering in the game, so sometimes making a dummy game to figure out a solution to implement in your real one is the best way to go.
  • 15 is a decent number of duplicants for a colony. While I wouldn't take it as a hard rule, if you're pushing 20 and still experiencing labor shortages, it may be a good idea to stop and evaluate whether there's a way to make your current duplicants work more efficiently or take over some of their duties with automation before getting more of them.
The pipe tip is ok for avoiding clogs when starting, though there's some more advanced stuff you can do that contradicts it : https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/94932-a-guide-to-bridges-and-how-they-help-you-achieve-efficiency-and-flow/

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

thanks for the advice, i took a look at a couple of the steam guides that were linked just to have a look at how they arranged their rooms. it looks like they are basically how i was already doing my rooms to start with. i think i have been digging too conservatively though because i guess i am traumatized from dwarf fortress. maybe there are no hostile monsters in this one.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

thanks for the advice, i took a look at a couple of the steam guides that were linked just to have a look at how they arranged their rooms. it looks like they are basically how i was already doing my rooms to start with. i think i have been digging too conservatively though because i guess i am traumatized from dwarf fortress. maybe there are no hostile monsters in this one.

The only thing you might do is expose a biome or geyser before you're prepared to deal with it, but blocking things off with tiles or insulated tiles (or a double layer of insulated tiles, if it's something like a volcano) is an easy stopgap and can probably be done with nearby materials.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Don't get too many dupes. Stick with initial 3 until you get basics ready, then maybe add a new one every 10 cycles. Having 6 by cycle 60 is usually about how I go, and no more than that until you are off algae/starter oxygen unless you know what you are doing. Do not fear the algae terrarium & mess of the early base. Any >1k oxygen or polluted oxygen is just fine to breath until you are ready to start strip mining swamp biomes & the slimelung can make the PO an issue. When in doubt, strip mine out - expanding usable area, getting resources (geysers), and giving space for water/co2/hydrogen to go away from the main habitable zone is good.
Morale is easy to deal with if you plan a great hall (>40 tiles I think, mess tables, a potted plant, and a switched off water cooler) = +6 morale for everyone, and most early morale problems are gone.
If you have a patch of 4 wild plants close to each other, plan the center of the main staircase between and 2 of food store/mess hall/toilet area, so everyone has to walk through it daily, and declare it a nature reserve. The plants don't even need to be growing, 4 wilted abominations in a tile-lined alcove is enough for another +6 morale and your stress problems will be history til late game.
Once you are happy for spoilers, I really recommend zooming through Francis Johns mini-base game. He shows how little you actually need to go from the start to the very end.

Edit: Ooh, and schedules!
Add lots of schedules, each offset 2 hours from each other. Then assign 1 dupe to each one, and then you only need 2 toilets/sinks (and its only 2 so one can be getting cleaned while the other is in use, which is the most common reason it messes up.) Also make sure the priorities are set so someone is high priority to clean them, but disable the disinfect on them, it just wastes time.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 15, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Stacking two screen doors on each other allows gases to pass but without the decor penalty and cost of perforated tile. This prevents hydrogen and other light gases from getting trapped at the top of the room.

Build a mess hall / great hall for your dupes to eat in. Dig out a space that's at least 32 tiles and closed off by a door. Build one mess table for each dupe in it. This will give a +3 morale bonus to your dupes. After you've researched it, add a water cooler and anything that gives a decor bonus. The actual decor value of the room doesn't matter, as long as you have a +20 decor item in it. This turns your mess hall into a great hall and gives a huge +6 morale bonus to your dupes.

Don't worry about clutter. It may look bad to you but your dupes don't really care much about it. The minor penalty is easily offset by having a great hall to eat in and for the first 100 cycles or so your dupes have better things to do than clean.

Likewise don't worry too much about your base being full of polluted oxygen. Your dupes will breathe it just fine. You'll eventually want to deal with the Slimelung, but focus on building out your base and getting a food supply set up first.

Put your research station right next to the gate. The gate generates free lighting which gives a bonus to research speed. Once you're building a supercomputer, move the ration box elsewhere and put the supercomputer on the other side of the gate.

Dig out a sump below the bottom of your base and just let all your polluted water drain into it. Dig out an aquifer for clean water at a higher level and be careful so you don't pollute it.

Never spawn dupes with Trypophobia (can't dig), Unconstructive (can't build) or Slow Learner (reduced xp gains). They are useless and should be fired into space no matter what positive traits they may have. Mouth Breather and Bottomless Stomach should be avoided among your early dupes before you've stabilized your food and oxygen production.

Speaking of, don't feel like you have to give your dupes the skills they're interested in if they're not useful to you. They're not better at it just because they're interested in it, the interest only means the skill costs one less morale.

Giving your dupes Improved Carrying greatly reduces the amount of running around they need to do as they can carry far more resources. Even just the first level more than triples a base dupe's carrying capacity from 200kg to 680kg and the second level pushes it all the way to 1560kg. I give it to all my dupes after they've gotten their main jobs.

Like Ozy said, add more schedules. I typically aim for 8 dupes per colony and create 8 schedules each offset by three hours. You still need 1 bed per dupe, they won't share beds, but it means you always have 7 dupes working. It also makes the Loud Sleeper trait completely irrelevant. I give my dupes one extra hour of downtime (3 instead of the default 2) which is a cheap +1 morale bonus and as your colony grows it gives them more time to get food before bed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Collateral Damage posted:

Likewise don't worry too much about your base being full of polluted oxygen. Your dupes will breathe it just fine. You'll eventually want to deal with the Slimelung, but focus on building out your base and getting a food supply set up first.

Never spawn dupes with Trypophobia (can't dig), Unconstructive (can't build) or Slow Learner (reduced xp gains). They are useless and should be fired into space no matter what positive traits they may have. Mouth Breather and Bottomless Stomach should be avoided among your early dupes before you've stabilized your food and oxygen production.

Polluted Oxygen is a bit of a bigger deal in the DLC where it causes the occasional coughing fit and makes them consume more oxygen but, as said, early on you have better things to do. Especially if you start in the Swamp Biome. You do want to take care of it before you deal with any Slime of Pufts though or you'll have severe Slimelung issues.

The "no dig" "no build" and Slow Learners aren't that bad if I'm getting a dupe later on. I'm totally fine with a farmer/rancher/cook who can't build for poo poo, or a dupe with high athletics and interests in supplying/tidying who's thicker than a rock. If he's got 8 Athletics and 1000+ Kg Carrying Capacity but an into of -2 then Mongo is still my new best friend because that's so many less carrying and cleaning jobs for anyone else.

Absolutely agree they're absolutely skills to avoid at the start like Mouthbreather and Bottomless Stomach. Also avoid Flatulent unless you want to just lock Taco Ted in a cell with the fertilizer machines where you've already got equipment to deal with Natural Gas generation. Flatulent dupes literally create Natural Gas wherever they go that builds up.

Collateral Damage posted:

Speaking of, don't feel like you have to give your dupes the skills they're interested in if they're not useful to you. They're not better at it just because they're interested in it, the interest only means the skill costs one less morale.

Giving your dupes Improved Carrying greatly reduces the amount of running around they need to do as they can carry far more resources. Even just the first level more than triples a base dupe's carrying capacity from 200kg to 680kg and the second level pushes it all the way to 1560kg. I give it to all my dupes after they've gotten their main jobs.

Like Ozy said, add more schedules. I typically aim for 8 dupes per colony and create 8 schedules each offset by three hours. You still need 1 bed per dupe, they won't share beds, but it means you always have 7 dupes working. It also makes the Loud Sleeper trait completely irrelevant. I give my dupes one extra hour of downtime (3 instead of the default 2) which is a cheap +1 morale bonus and as your colony grows it gives them more time to get food before bed.

All of these are great though. Don't feel like you have to get every skill for a dupe. Outside of the occasional +Carrying Capacity ones if you have the spare morale points obviously.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Another handy tip: Dig a pit and let it fill with carbon dioxide or chlorine, then put your ration box(es) there. CO2 and Chlorine are the heaviest gases at room temperature so it will stay there and it prevents food from spoiling without having to waste tons of electricity on refrigerators.

Alkydere posted:

The "no dig" "no build" and Slow Learners aren't that bad if I'm getting a dupe later on. I'm totally fine with a farmer/rancher/cook who can't build for poo poo, or a dupe with high athletics and interests in supplying/tidying who's thicker than a rock. If he's got 8 Athletics and 1000+ Kg Carrying Capacity but an into of -2 then Mongo is still my new best friend because that's so many less carrying and cleaning jobs for anyone else.
The problem if they can't dig or build is that your dupes are all lovable but complete idiots and will occasionally get themselves stuck in a hole somehow and the game doesn't notify you until they're about to starve or suffocate, so if they can't dig they can't dig themselves out or build a ladder you better hope that you have someone else who can get to them in time. :)

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 15, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

thanks for all the advice, i am working on a great hall now. I probably have too many duplicants, ive just been printing them off as soon as they show up.

this is my little base so far:

its not going super well because im running out of algae. i think the oxygen diffuser eats too much of it or something.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

its not going super well because im running out of algae. i think the oxygen diffuser eats too much of it or something.

Find a water-producing geyser and run its output to an electrolyzer. The oxygen produced is 70 C, so not cooling it down will effect your food sources.

A dead dupe will reduce morale by 3 for 3 days, so putting up a dining hall will let you do a controlled headcount reduction and break even on morale. My preference is to fill a room with chlorine, seal it off with an airlock set to only be passable from the outside, and put a chair and unpowered jukebox in the room.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You are only running out of algae cos you haven't mined it all - I can see a massive lump in the top right past the water sieve.
Looks like a pretty good start (but stop accepting new dupes until about cycle 50 now!), just get digging and tame a water source!
Piping water through a cold biome is fine at the start to cool it down.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I honestly wouldn't detail the geysers and how they work for new players.

But yeah, if you're running out (of anything, really), you either picked up way too many dupes, or you aren't exploring enough. Exploring the map unlocks a whole lot of approaches to solve problems.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thanks for all the advice, i am working on a great hall now. I probably have too many duplicants, ive just been printing them off as soon as they show up.

IMO

1-6 dupes in 10 cycles? Is that possible? Is that needed? Glad you have mealwood and cooking setup because you will need it. Your current pantry will last 3 days.
2-Hot stuff all over the base and sandwiching mealwood. Temperatures will rise and the mealwood could die off.
3-Consider tiling up the side of the base to avoid wasting O2 and resources in producing it. Tilling up will pressurize your base, forcing gases into manageable clumps and turn off the diffuser eventually when not needed.
4-Pee can easily get into your water. A tile (like a step up) right before the reservoir on the left and manual airlock or tiles can prevent the bottom water from getting contaminated.
5-1 manual generator to power the base. Consider researching coal and making it outside area to improve your dupe efficiently. Currently, you have 5 dupes available and 1 guy permanently running.
6-Make sure your bedroom and bathroom are actual rooms and the right size. Might have to tile extra space.
7-The sieve can produce enough water for your bathrooms once the pipes are primed. No need for the pump currently.
8-Mealwood is very temp sensitive. It can live in O2 or CO2. It can be gown at the bottom of your base in CO2 (temperature permitting).

Purple arrows show dupe pathing at meal time. They will go to the bathroom first (top or bottom facilities), then to the ration box. That's a lot of traffic. Considering removing the bottom bathroom and putting the ration box or bathrooms closer.
Blue arrows show cooking prep. Dupes will take the mealwood from boxes and down to the musher. That's okay.
Orange arrows shows the food delivery path. This makes the overall plant to ration box pathing is longer. Consider "kitchen" placement in relation to the ration box (which will be in relation to the bathrooms).

Dealing with hot stuff: Put in the same place and away from living areas! The super computer will need to be around the living area but at least not close to the plants.

Morale is important early game. A mess hall or great hall is very easy to get with a water cooler (disable it after its filled) and a decorative plant. Combined with bedrooms and bathrooms, you could reach higher moral, meaning better skills or overjoyed reactions. Your cooking machines can go in the mess/great hall area for efficiency in the food to ration box pathing. Your bathroom could be near your mess/great hall for meal time efficiency.

PH2O is all over. A trick is make a small pit, maybe 2 or so tiles deep. Put a bottle emptier above it. Set the emptier to PH2O, collect all of it, then set the emptier to H2O. A small layer of H2O will prevent the off gassing of the PH2O. You can submerge a storage compacter for polluted dirt as well.

temple fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 16, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Please don't hate the dupe running on the hamster wheel.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

To add to what temple said, you can remove the tiles adjacent to the ladder to improve ventilation. Dupes can cross a 1 tile gap fine.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
And consider putting a light by the research station and super computer (you can put it between them) and the musher to speed up dupes working there.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Since the printing pod itself generates light, I usually just sandwich it between my research buildings.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

thanks for the even more advice, i'll probably try putting it into action tomorrow. i had to stop playing tonight cause i didnt want to print out another duplicant, so i picked a cute little animal, but i don't have trees for it to eat so i am very worried it will die now.

temple successfully predicted that piss would go in the bottom water, and that my mealwood plants would start dying because of heat. partially because of the oven and power things, but also because it turns out the biome to the right is like 10 degrees C hotter than the middle biome, so all the air on that side of the base is heating up anyway. i replaced the walls around the farm (and split it into two rooms so it could count as greenhouses) but now i need to circulate in some cool air.

for some reason when i loaded my save the bathroom loop decided to break, with the pollution sieve deciding to not take any more input because the output pipe is full now apparently. i ended up doing a horrible kludge to fix it, having it output to the original pool so the pump sucks it back up. it is not elegant but all my guys were pissing down the ladder.

i also have started dumping the polluted water in its own mini-tank, and set up some deodorizers to try and take care of the polluted air that has built up.

i set up a nature reserve some way out from the base in a little plant room i found while doing a bunch of mining. the only problem is one of my duplicants is allergic to flowers so i had to forbid him from going in there and build an airlock door to keep the stank in.

the great hall has been set up and so all the duplicants are jazzed, even if there was an initial problem with the entire lower part of the base being full of CO2, which i built some more algae terrarium things to take care of. that + the more sealed-in base design has helped my oxygen levels a lot.

ive dug some exploratory tunnels but mostly i've found that i am surrounded by a mixture of chlorine-filled hell holes, and doo-doo-filled slime gas holes. one of the chlorine holes way high up has some type of fancy biometric door i want to try and get into, but i need to boost oxygen generation or somehow set up enough industry to get the hazmat suits.

i feel like i have a very large amount of stuff researched but barely any of it built or functional. i need to fix this 'hot plants' situation pretty fast or my guys will be living on fried mud bars and muckroots forever.

edit: i also got rid of the bottom bathroom finally, i forgot it was there

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Always pick animals, they appear wild and unless you upset them they will live a full life, lay a single egg, and die. providing you with an occasional free meal and some eggshell (useful later). Embrace the chaos and mess. everything is temporary and can be rebuilt later...

Here's what my current base is like with DLC at cycle 107 (restarted last week to try with radiation update affecting research).

Every piece of water is contaminated with germs. Don't care, noone drinks the stuff anyway. I'm only just about starting to deal with PO but it's not really much of a problem (offgassing is your friend). Occasional sneeze, but the little buggers are sparkle-streaking and super-productivising their way around anyway so shrug. Just started nuclear research to get solar panels and glass forges then we will kick into gear. I don't care about sealing the base either. Mealwood is only ever temporary food at best. Just plant a second field somewhere colder right now. Excess food is better than not enough. Hatches are good option to think about, and once you get reliable water/energy then bristle blossoms are nice too (but also temperature sensitive). I love the floral scent, the way germs work, it acts as a anti-bacterial screen for your base. I try to cover habitation in floral scent where possible (and avoid ever taking allergic dupes. That's a trait worthy of a long walk out a short airlock for me I'm afraid)

Here's my second base, which is closer to where you are, but only 3 dupes so much easier to survive:

I have very little water, but I use very little. I'm mostly surviving on found muckroot (aim to dig up all the buried objects!), foraged wild plants (only dig them up if you absolutely must), and bristle blossoms grown in the free light of the pod, though I did recently added a light bulb to shine on 3 wild ones which is a decent enough trade for water-free food. I have 10t or so of usable algae, so that's going to be my first major problem but 10t is plenty if I start considering the problem now.

It's all messy, and unsustainable, but in a slow-crash kind of way that's ok as I know where it's heading, so it's all temporary at this stage. There are techs & materials out there that permanently 'solve' the main problems you have, so you just need to be running ahead of the disaster curve(s) towards the longer solutions.
Research and exploration is the way forward, not worrying over base layout and optimising sustainability yet. I didn't even set up a proper bathroom loop until after cycle 50. Lavatories and washbasins are absolutely fine for a long time.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 16, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OzyMandrill posted:

Research and exploration is the way forward, not worrying over base layout and optimising sustainability yet. I didn't even set up a proper bathroom loop until after cycle 50. Lavatories and washbasins are absolutely fine for a long time.
This is really a point to push, especially if you're coming into the game from having played Factorio or similar games in the past - you don't need to rush into automation. Having your dupes run around with water bottles is a perfectly fine alternative to building a pump if it isn't something that needs water constantly.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I really hope they introduce nuclear power at some point.

It's like...right there. Most of what I know about reactors is they sit in water for temperature regulation... aka half this game.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

skooma512 posted:

I really hope they introduce nuclear power at some point.

It's like...right there. Most of what I know about reactors is they sit in water for temperature regulation... aka half this game.

Well good news! They added it in the latest DLC patch.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/127803-game-update-455425/

Brothgar has done a couple of early videos on it already, you pump water into the reactor and it outputs steam which you harness with steam turbines for power and meltdowns are pretty hilarious to watch. Francis John is taking a break from ONI after he "finished" his DLC playthrough, which makes me sad because I love his videos.

for some reason when i loaded my save the bathroom loop decided to break, with the pollution sieve deciding to not take any more input because the output pipe is full now apparently. i ended up doing a horrible kludge to fix it, having it output to the original pool so the pump sucks it back up. it is not elegant but all my guys were pissing down the ladder.

I don't think anyone else mentioned this but bathroom loops are water positive, they generate more than they use so you have to do something with that excess. Pumping the sieved water back into your clean water supply isn't the greatest idea because it still contains germs, which your farmers then pick up and spread to your food supply causing food poisoning when the germy food is eaten. The cleanest method for dealing with the excess p-water is to send it to some thimble reed plants planted in hydroponic farm tiles, I usually do two thimble reeds per 4/4 bathroom setup. I like to play on the Badlands asteroid lately so I actually store up my excess p-water from the bathroom loop then let it off-gas for deodorizers to get clay, which in turn is used to make ceramic, which you likely won't need to care about while you're still learning.

I've been ruined by watching Francis John and most of my bases incorporate his designs, pictured below is my latest Badlands map. The room off to the bottom left is for clay generation. I've been doing decoration rooms between my bedrooms, and the typical stone hatch ranches for my food supply. Also stole his somewhat recent kitchen setup where all food is stored in a 1 block sized compartment filled with chlorine. I also abuse the hell out of infinite fluid and gas storage on the right side but you probably shouldn't pay too much attention to that while you're still learning. Also pictured is a standard Rodriguez SPOM which you also probably shouldn't really focus on right now as you're learning the basics.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is there a way to disinfect water? i cant see a specific machine for it which is weird considering that it is definitely a thing in real life

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

is there a way to disinfect water? i cant see a specific machine for it which is weird considering that it is definitely a thing in real life

There are no machines to do so but freezing or boiling fluids will disinfect them, germs die off quickly at extreme temperatures. These are somewhat advanced methods of dealing with germs, though.

For dealing with germy food you can disinfect it with chlorine, also converting mealwood to pickled meal will kill germs in the process (but you can still infect pickled meal after the fact), which to me is the only real use for making pickled meal. I typically just setup chlorinated food storage and call it good, then not worrying about germs getting into my water supply. Additionally you can chlorinate your bathroom outputs to kill germs using timer automation and a chlorine room, this is a good mid-game solution for dealing with germy bathroom output.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Get the water to sit in a room filled with chlorine and it will kill the germs pretty fast.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's really too bad Francis John has moved on for now as his videos are far and away the best of any ONI streamer. Watching him tame the niobium planet was quite something and he's so much more organized than the rest.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Research the liquid tepidizer. What can go wrong?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Liquid tepidizer is extremely bad for sterilizing, as you might guess.

The easy way is to turn the polluted water into regular water and just leaving it in a clean environment. I think a reservoir works too.

The less-easy but way faster way is chlorine.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

Autoclaves are medical standard FYI

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shumagorath posted:

Autoclaves are medical standard FYI

Autoclaves don't stop at 85C.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Really the fastest way to kill germs in water is to just dump it into the molten core. Once it cools from being steam it will be nice clean water.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

The easy way is to turn the polluted water into regular water and just leaving it in a clean environment. I think a reservoir works too.

The less-easy but way faster way is chlorine.

chlorine is heavier than oxygen right? i could raise the walls around my reservoir and pipe some down from the chlorine biome above me

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

chlorine is heavier than oxygen right? i could raise the walls around my reservoir and pipe some down from the chlorine biome above me

From what I understand that would only sterilize the surface of the water. It's kind of silly, but for chlorine to fully sterilize water it has to be in a storage tank (which can then be attached to an automation system that ensures the water has been completely sterilized, either through timing or a germ sensor).

something like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBGeCauVpkY
(note that from what I understand in the expansion killing germs consumes chlorine, so it can't just be a completely sealed room anymore)

The most important thing is to run a closed-cycle bathroom loop that runs completely off of recycled water and thus only outputs a small amount of ph2o. From there, unless there's a severe water shortage on the map, you can just feed the ph2o into a few reed fiber plants or purify it and store it in a decently-sized reservoir until you can do something like dump it into an oil well.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

Autoclaves don't stop at 85C.
You don't know how germs or the tepidizer work; gg

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shumagorath posted:

You don't know how germs or the tepidizer work; gg

Oh, I know how both work in the game. The game has no autoclaves or equivalent.

Tepidizer is still garbage, using it to heat water requires a ridiculous waste heat capture system compared to chlorine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I had a volcano powered petrol boiler that was building up lava even running full whack so I added a 2 turbine counterflow water purifier. A sump at the bottom where dupes could chuck in polluted/salt/whatever, it gets pumped up into the steam chamber, out through the turbines and counterflow to heat the incoming water and out as cool clean water the other end. Did have issues with soil/sand turning to tiles occasionally tho, so needed autominer/sweeper and counterflow solids to cool them down too, but overall as a ridiculous self-powered crap to clean water + salt/sand/dirt + power, it was kinda cool.