Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is a different kind of nostalgia but today I went through a few youtube channels and watched LPs of games I played as a little kid. Like, Jump Start 2nd and 3rd grade or Cluefinder or Tonka Construction. Can't believe I remember some of the songs about nouns and poo poo 20-something years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hatty posted:

Still mad at my sister for purposely deleting my GBA FF5 save because I called her high school friend annoying

This should be a crime

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In tonka search & rescue, tonka daveJOE his name is joe not dave (gg me) is driving the fire engine away from the building on fire lol

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
post your destroyed save stories:

came home from school to find out my brother had deleted my on-turtle-rock lttp save, I was told I was not allowed to be mad about it and got grounded for being mad.

a 'friend' of mine "accidentally" saved over my lunar 1 save with his, setting me way back progress wise.

I deleted my friends save on my copy of breath of fire 1 because he named his character gently caress and I was afraid a parent would see it

my original diablo 2 characters were deleted because my dad reformatted our pc after I got a virus downloading games from kazaa

a kid up the street stole my gbc and pokemon red and saved over my game. when I got my stuff back I took great pleasure in releasing his blastoise 'Ace' before I started a new file

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had gotten up to metroid prime during a rental but couldn't beat it. Years later I got a copy of the game and I never deleted that file specifically so I could go fight Metroid Prime again and finish the game. The game loaded it up once, then the game locked up during the hall to the arena you fight Meta-Ridley in, and my save got wiped.

Another time I didn't lose my entire save but I lost some progress in Pokemon Silver. I was playing it at the kitchen table and the volume was on. My stepdad wanted the volume to be off so he reached over and casually took the gameboy from me and shut it off before handing it back. He figured if I didn't want him to shut it off then I should have known he would want me to have the sound off and preemptively turned it off.

A friend's save in dk64 got hosed up by a cheat device, he had put in a bunch of codes and at some point the codes resulted in, among other things, making him have 2 full watermelons of health but always dying in 1 hit. Not unbeatable and not completely corrupted but definitely much much harder.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pouring one out for all the saves we've lost along the way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Building a new computer and realizing that my Time Clickers save of 2710 hours wasn't saved to the cloud and was just stored on my previous PC's local storage :negative:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I hear that pokemon silver one FAK, so much progress lost because someone wanted the game turned off right this second. I am glad kids these days grow up in a world where suspend mode and autosaves are king.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF2 GBA was fine. Don't think it really gets much hate, just also doesn't get talked about, ever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Been playing an Ocarina of Time romhack and alternatingly being in awe of the cool stuff you can do in the engine without fundamentally changing anything, and being extremely mad at stupid romhack bullshit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

FF2 GBA was fine. Don't think it really gets much hate, just also doesn't get talked about, ever

Is that the version with the extra story stuff about the emperor having another half that went and took over heaven while the main game was happening?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that the version with the extra story stuff about the emperor having another half that went and took over heaven while the main game was happening?

yeah but it was all a postgame thing I didn't do so I dunno how it goes or if it's any good

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I saved right before fighting Emerald Weapon in FF7 and then went to bed. When I got home the next day my brother had loaded my file, beaten Emerald Weapon, and saved over my save.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah but it was all a postgame thing I didn't do so I dunno how it goes or if it's any good

I just know it has you playing as a party made up of the party members who die during the main story and it goes that both halves needed to be killed at the same time so while hell emperor's half is being murdered by fyrion you've got heaven emp getting his half-angel rear end whipped by his victims

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FirstAidKite posted:

I just know it has you playing as a party made up of the party members who die during the main story and it goes that both halves needed to be killed at the same time so while hell emperor's half is being murdered by fyrion you've got heaven emp getting his half-angel rear end whipped by his victims

Also lol if you stripped your dying party members of equipment like any experienced FF2 gamer would because then they're dumped in the super hard dungeon with no weapons or armour

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kerrzhe posted:

i don't know why everyone is suddenly playing dark souls 2 again and it makes me sad that i was permabanned from coop for no reason

I am playing because I have made it my mission to beat the From games, but it also turns out there was a community organised event this weekend too so it was bustling. (I got invaded a few times! More so than during my playthrough of DS1 but that might be due to the way invasions work).

In terms of save, I have accidentally lost a few multiple hundreds of hours Fallout 4 and Skyrim saves. Never any saves on consoles luckily. Also I lost all my Team Fortress 2 configs at one point and it had been a few years between playing so it took me a few days to remember how I had mapped my controls and find some of my QoL configuration changes. (Such as not needing to click to heal with the medigun, only to change patients.)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My copy of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town was some knockoff 101 games in 1 cart, and it would regularly wipe my saves whenever it felt like it. I was in an endless cycle of building up my farm and racing to get married before the god living inside the cart decided it was time to start over again.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Somewhat recently lost my Trails of Steel save after trying to make use of an vita2sd adapter on my Vita. I also lost my Persona3 save and a bunch of other stuff.

In the past I had some cheap third part memory cards for my PS1 that would occasionaly corrupt all the save files. Lost the Crash 2 save with almost 100%, Sotn and various Final Fantasies. After that I always bought official memory cards when the PS2 came around

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thinking about my current GOTY list for 2021. Three games on there so far. Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Dead Cells. Arrangement I will let you try to figure out but strong showing this early!

Had about a week to meditate on what I think of Dark Souls properly and how it is in relation to Dark Souls 2 and I think I am hugely benefiting from two things:

1) I did not have to wait a few years for a new Dark Souls game. I jumped straight from 1 to 2 in 48 hours and as such
2) I had no expectations to shatter or not meet.

These two things are huge when I look at them critically. Dark Souls was amazing fun and if I had been able to play it at launch and properly get into it, then waiting 3 years for another that does not quite do things I am expecting could have been a huge shock. The differences are there, but like someone said, only a few degrees off so it is familiar and yet not.

DS1 took me 29 hours from start to completion. DS2 I am 10 hours in, so a third of the playtime. In a way I am classing it as one long continuous play because I am having more fun with every session. (Just got a great club and pumped it up to +6 :twisted: Club Gang returns!)

Now some favourites!
Favourite area is Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith - and I do dig the Bed of Chaos.
Favourite boss is Artorias/Gwynn.
Favourite weapon is Great Club +15
Favourite armour is Black knight set.
Favourite friend is either Elizabeth Mushroom or Skellybones Davey Jones Blacksmith.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I saved over my brother’s dark cloud 2 save on accident. I then deleted all the dark cloud data from the memory card and told him that the power had gone off while I was saving my own game and I guess the card got screwy and destroyed our precious save games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve played seven games so far this year, and yes all of them are currently on my GotY 2021 top 7 list

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve played seven games so far this year, and yes all of them are currently on my GotY 2021 top 7 list

Well......

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't think I've ever lost a save

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have played about 30 or so games - some for not particularly long (only an hour or so) but these three are definitely making an appearance. I have also had some fun with Blasphemous, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Marvel's Avengers, Yakuza Kiwami 2 (will probably appear too if I finish it) and I have big plans for what I will be playing as well. Gaming heaven.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

VideoGames posted:

I have played about 30 or so games - some for not particularly long (only an hour or so) but these three are definitely making an appearance. I have also had some fun with Blasphemous, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Marvel's Avengers, Yakuza Kiwami 2 (will probably appear too if I finish it) and I have big plans for what I will be playing as well. Gaming heaven.

How far through yak 2 are you VG it seems you've been posting about it for aaaages

Mind you i was about 4 months from first trophy to last

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I just watched the Girl Who Leapt Through Time and the amount of influence you can see from that movie on 13 Sentinels is crazy!
Great movie :D

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bloodborne’s probably gonna be a strong contender for my personal game of the year. I’m probably gonna feel too burnt out after doing the campaign/dlc/fixed chalices to immediately replay like I was planning, but goddamn is it such a good game just to play even ignoring how well it does it’s Cthulhu homage theme.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

How far through yak 2 are you VG it seems you've been posting about it for aaaages

Mind you i was about 4 months from first trophy to last

I am in chapter 6. I beat Yak 0 and Yak Kiwami 1 in December 2019 and then started Yak 2 in Jan 2020, then sat on it for AGES. Restarted it again about a month ago and in between Souls Sessions have played it on and off. It is really good and it would be so neat if it took over Yak 0 as my favourite Yakuza game. :)

I am playing so many games. I think I have FOMO on game playing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://merc.zone/

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, I think someone in here made some really good yakisoba the other day. If they have it, what was the recipie? I tried my own it was alright but I wanna expand y horizons.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Devotion is available again, better try to snag it before Pooh gets angry again https://shop.redcandlegames.com/

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
In middle school a friend lent me their copy of FFVI and it must have gotten jostled in the console because something happened and all the saves in it were deleted. I wasn’t terribly far but my friend had an endgame save. He was gracious about it but it would have torn me up if that happened to me.

I had some bad luck with PSX memory cards, probably because of an over-reliance on those third party multi-cards.

On a related note, big shout outs to people who left endgame saves on the SNES games I rented or bought used. I know that the copy of Mystic Quest I owned came with a save at the very end and it was very cool to fight the final boss with all the bells and whistles before going back to my beginner file.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just remembered there was one game that deleted my saves and it was WWF No Mercy :negative:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Favourite area is Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith - and I do dig the Bed of Chaos.

:stare:

Please can you send me some of your drugs

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Not a deleted save, but during college, I really got into Disgaea 2, and one time I lost a couple hours of grinding in the Item World because my friend accidentally knocked out the PS2's power cord.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I used to delete my own saves on purpose so I could start from scratch + losing everything was more exciting than just selecting new game

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My friend played on my save of Pokemon Red and nicknamed a bunch of Pokemon things like bum and poo. I deleted the save because I was worried I'd get in trouble if my parents or Nintendo saw.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I secretly dread the day the save battery for my copy of Duke Nukem for Gameboy Color will die and I end up losing all my save slots for the vehicle levels I enjoyed when I was 11

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wrote an entire scorched earth clone on my TI-83 in high school across many different sessions of math class. It evaporated years ago when the calculator battery died. I don't even know if I still have that calculator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Convex posted:

:stare:

Please can you send me some of your drugs

I think I will try to explain why.

When I first entered the Demon Ruins it was all lava-ry and I am a big fan of the colour orange. Especially such gorgeous rich lovely oranges for the lava they used. The whole area with the wierd floaty buttock demons and taurus and capra demons was a bit hairy but with my great club I pretty much just made my way through. Had a lot of moments of fear with the centipedes coming out of the walls and had a big laugh about an item I avoided thinking it was a trap. When it turned out that trap was actually a boss I laughed even more, and was able to do some running and jumping to lure it to a much easier place to fight it.

The stray demon was a pain but it felt so good to vanquish him :D

Then the 'stealth' section was fun and a bit of a shakeup and I liked the little change of pace. I really liked the layout and how it felt I was infiltrating the hellzone. Then the weird ruins with the floaty buttock demons, the big Sarlaac enemy too who scares me to bits and finally the bed of chaos.

The reason I really liked the bed of chaos was again, a shakeup. It was not about hitting and avoiding, but doing some running and jumping. I have gotten quite into the running and jumping part of the souls games and the feeling of having those watching me saying my jumping was cool and whatnot made me feel really happy and made the whole thing super fun for me.

Basically my experience of it was not the normal experience, and if I did not do it with friends watching and egging me on I might have different thoughts.