Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I will happily don the boilersuit if it's got sequins.

1975: Thatcher becomes Tory leader and it's been nothing but girl power since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bad news for Ash Crimson.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

England is a very persistant mass hallucination but I would stop short of suggesting that it is real.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There once was a dream that was England. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile. Plus you'd get put in jail, these days

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
New Egyptian science fiction series for Ramadan (starts a week after Easter) Covid-25.

quote:

CAIRO - 10 January 2021: Egyptian leading production company Synergy announced that it will release “COVID-25” series in Ramadan 2021.

The 15 episodes series will be staring Egyptian superstar Youssef el Sherif, written by Engy Alaa and directed by Ahmed Galal.

Synergy, released the first Egyptian science fiction series "El Nehaya" (The End) in Ramadan 2020.

etc

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/96283/Egypt%E2%80%99s-Synergy-to-release-%E2%80%98COVID-25%E2%80%99-series-in-Ramadan-2021

Wish I could watch this stuff from here!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1371389332775391242

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/planetjedward/status/1371242722049339392?s=19

The state sanctioned murder of Jedward is going to be what kicks off the revolution.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Would quite like a "when did this become hotter than this" meme ft. Chuckle Brothers /Jedward

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/josiahmortimer/status/1371111619879702531?s=21

Thread that is yeah well extremely hosed up

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

"rioters"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/easypoliticsUK/status/1371152817059205122?s=19

Apparently when most of the country is demanding your resignation, you can simply say you're not resigning.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That's been obvious for like half a decade now

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Hire 👏 more 👏 female 👏 riot 👏 cops 👏

quote:

One of the organisers of a vigil for Sarah Everard has said Cressida Dick should not resign

“We are a movement of women seeking to support and empower other women, and as one of the most senior women in British policing history, we do not want to add to the pile-on,” Birley told ITV’s Good Morning Britain x

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you don't genuflect at the feet of your local filth, you are a rioter and said bobby is fully entitled to withdraw his protection, which of course was always illusory and offered conditionally on the basis of absolute supplication to state power. The most fragile little loving baby snowflakes don't like when you hurt their feewings

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

most of the country is demanding your resignation

Is it, though? YouGov did a snap poll...

47-23 in favour of her staying in post; the only age band in favour of her going is 18-24 and then only by 34-30.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I wonder what happened to the Asian fella who was thrown to the ground by cops after not buying anything in Pret

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Marmaduke! posted:

I wonder what happened to the Asian fella who was thrown to the ground by cops after not buying anything in Pret

He opened a sweet shop and got a ps5.

https://twitter.com/KashBaig2

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Met can pretty much do what they want, the pressure that parliament can put on them isn't quite as acute as what the met can do to MPs lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

:siren: HALAL :siren: sweets? Whats next, Jemery Crobny instituting sharon law in the caliphate of willy wonkas factory?!? You couldn't make it up!?!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Trin Tragula posted:

Is it, though? YouGov did a snap poll...

47-23 in favour of her staying in post; the only age band in favour of her going is 18-24 and then only by 34-30.
Even with all the negative press coverage a majority still say that the police shouldn't have allowed the vigil. Even among women the split is almost 50/50

The one time you think it would be the other way, with the press on the side of the protesters.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

we are a nation of hateful supine bootlickers, exhibit 45,775,320

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Like everything facing society its just getting folded into the culture war so we can be split down the middle arguing about the most rudimentary or nonsensical elements of it

E that's why the cops did the big photoshoot defending Churchill so this can all become part of the pro or anti statue argument

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sinky posted:

Hire 👏 more 👏 female 👏 riot 👏 cops 👏

Liberalism is beautiful self satire

Anyway, it's time to take the vote away from anyone over 45 because they clearly aren't capable of critical thought.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The number of people who genuinely seem to think you have an obligation to instantly obey the police and if you don't, you deserve whatever happens.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

HopperUK posted:

The number of people who genuinely seem to think you have an obligation to instantly obey the police and if you don't, you deserve whatever happens.

Well yeah what's the point otherwise

We wouldn't have police if they weren't worth obeying surely

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think it being during a lockdown adds to people's distaste for any kind of protest at present too.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Liberalism is beautiful self satire

Anyway, it's time to take the vote away from anyone over 45 because they clearly aren't capable of critical thought.

gently caress you, I'm over 45.
Also, I completely agree.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think it being during a lockdown adds to people's distaste for any kind of protest at present too.
That and the 'other side' of that confected debate being full of "am i being detained" people who are desperately trying to equate a vigil for a murdered woman with the 5G lizard people lockdown protests and their sovereign right to cough on people in Aldi.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

The Met can pretty much do what they want, the pressure that parliament can put on them isn't quite as acute as what the met can do to MPs lol

Operation yew tree 2.0?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I am slightly surprised that white women being killed manages to effortlessly become part of the culture war but I guess I absolutely shouldn't have been

Man I'm worried I'm not as prepared for the future as I think.

Gotta get ready for it to become anti-statue to want something to be done about the floods, famines etc of climate change

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Gammons circling a submerged Churchill statue in dinghies as metropolitan extermination squads crack down on anti statue sentiment

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

That and the 'other side' of that confected debate being full of "am i being detained" people who are desperately trying to equate a vigil for a murdered woman with the 5G lizard people lockdown protests and their sovereign right to cough on people in Aldi.

I don't care to dig into the Twitter profiles of the anti-vigil people, but I bet there would be some of these:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Putting officers round the Churchill state was a masterstroke by the Met. This is pure culture war fodder now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Before all this I honestly really couldn't have given a poo poo either way about the Churchill statue. The man himself was a chode but "London has big bronze chode somewhere" wasn't really a surprise and it wasn't even in my top 10 list of statues that would benefit from being gone, but given the sorts of people who have come out strongly on the pro side and the way it's been turned into some kind of culture war totem by people who had no clue who Edward Colston was until last year and have somehow been convinced that Churchill's existence in history is under permanent threat from LGBT BAME ANTIFAs sure, pull the loving thing down.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

God bless. Bit disappointed no comments from him on recent travesties, but what else is there to say other than "Yep this poo poo can even happen to white women too"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Bobstar posted:

I don't care to dig into the Twitter profiles of the anti-vigil people, but I bet there would be some of these:
Saw a few people on Twitter yesterday going around replying to gammonfolk's comments with "should the Duchess of Cambridge be arrested then?", met with silence each time.

Would have posted it but jfc looking at Twitter yesterday was a mistake, didn't want to inflict it on you lot

the correct answer is that yes she should have been arrested & offered a choice of cigarette & blindfold, but that's got nothing to do with the vigil

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

Like everything facing society its just getting folded into the culture war so we can be split down the middle arguing about the most rudimentary or nonsensical elements of it

E that's why the cops did the big photoshoot defending Churchill so this can all become part of the pro or anti statue argument

Thing is why do the billionaires or whoever it is funding this culture war poo poo want this constant 50/50 split in society? It's untenable surely? It seems corrosive as gently caress and we'd have been in civil war at any other time in history. I have trouble understanding why anyone, even ultra-capitalists, would want this bullshit to carry on.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thing is why do the billionaires or whoever it is funding this culture war poo poo want this constant 50/50 split in society? It's untenable surely? It seems corrosive as gently caress and we'd have been in civil war at any other time in history. I have trouble understanding why anyone, even ultra-capitalists, would want this bullshit to carry on.

Is this not obvious though? The culture war obfuscates the only real conflict within capitalism - which is to say that of Capital vs Labour.

gently caress no it's not tenable, but it just has to last a little longer so that Jonty Q Billionaire can be buried in a solid gold sarcophagus with all of his slaves, who then become his slaves in the afterlife

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

they're stupid, short sighted and concerned wholly with the short term

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A friend who is working on the vaccine roll-out told me we're really seeing the effects of all the stupid fearmongering around the AZ vaccine here now. Apparently they're getting a lot of cancellations and people turning up then refusing the vaccine when they find out it's the AZ one.

So loving stupid.