Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Groshlak posted:

You got my attention. I considered myself well versed in this dumpster fire and I don't get the reference.

One of the off-shoots of the flight from Origin and the subsequent flame-ut of Digital Anvil was a not-quite-but-close-enough sister company/subcontractor called Warthog Games, staffed by Roberts alumni such as the Elms brothers and to some extent Erin Roberts. Warthog produced such familiar titles as Starlancer and Privateer 2.

Warthog games was later acquired by Tiger Telematics (the result of a former carpet + electronics company merger), who then went on to try to launch the Gizmondo mobile gaming and communication device. Among the early founders of TT were Johan Enander (wanted by the Swedish police for various economic misdeeds) and Stefan “Fat Steve” Eriksson — a noted organized-crime figure who was into car theft, fraud, counterfeiting, “debt collection”, threats of blowing people up, blowing people up, and slinging cocaine. He would later be famous for wrapping a Ferrari Enzo around a tree at high speed. Coincidentally, the TT company chairman had previously made a living selling luxury cars, a fair few of which turning up to have been stolen. They were forced out of resigned from the company, and the chairman paid a hefty sum of money that had ostensibly been paid to Fat Steve's other software development company in a bid to forestall further investigation.

TT and Gizmondo would soon declare bankruptcy, and the former chairman would later buy the Gizmondo naming and IP rights, in co-operation with a new partner who subsequently got convicted of fraud. But of course, that was the parent company, not specifically the company run by the former-Origin/now-CI¬G old buddies of the Roberts' production posse.

You know. Just regular games development practices in the mid-90s to mid-00s era. Not at all connected to the various entrepreneurial aspirations and money troubles of Chris et al.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

mdxi posted:

Quick, someone send Chris the Bolo books, so we can see what happens.

Bolos are basically the tank version of the "what if everything I think was cool happened at the same time" sort of worldbuilding that gave us Star Citizen, and led to highschool nerd slapfights like "...but could an X-Wing beat a Mad Cat?"

Wanted to thank the couple people who brought up the Bolo tanks. I read one of the books in that universe as a teenager and I couldn't remember anything about it until now except that it was cool as gently caress.

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

Tippis posted:

One of the off-shoots of the flight from Origin and the subsequent flame-ut of Digital Anvil was a not-quite-but-close-enough sister company/subcontractor called Warthog Games, staffed by Roberts alumni such as the Elms brothers and to some extent Erin Roberts. Warthog produced such familiar titles as Starlancer and Privateer 2.

Warthog games was later acquired by Tiger Telematics (the result of a former carpet + electronics company merger), who then went on to try to launch the Gizmondo mobile gaming and communication device. Among the early founders of TT were Johan Enander (wanted by the Swedish police for various economic misdeeds) and Stefan “Fat Steve” Eriksson — a noted organized-crime figure who was into car theft, fraud, counterfeiting, “debt collection”, threats of blowing people up, blowing people up, and slinging cocaine. He would later be famous for wrapping a Ferrari Enzo around a tree at high speed. Coincidentally, the TT company chairman had previously made a living selling luxury cars, a fair few of which turning up to have been stolen. They were forced out of resigned from the company, and the chairman paid a hefty sum of money that had ostensibly been paid to Fat Steve's other software development company in a bid to forestall further investigation.

TT and Gizmondo would soon declare bankruptcy, and the former chairman would later buy the Gizmondo naming and IP rights, in co-operation with a new partner who subsequently got convicted of fraud. But of course, that was the parent company, not specifically the company run by the former-Origin/now-CI¬G old buddies of the Roberts' production posse.

You know. Just regular games development practices in the mid-90s to mid-00s era. Not at all connected to the various entrepreneurial aspirations and money troubles of Chris et al.

I had a feeling that the saying "There's always more and it's always worse" would apply. You sir are a true scholar and thank you for the explanation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

L. Ron Hoover posted:

I still think it's funny that apparently tanks got their name from the WW1 effort to conceal what they were before they were known, making it seem like they were shipping water tanks or something else around. What else should we have called them? Iron shooty bois? Actually, sounds too Orkish for my taste.

I mean, the German for tank is Panzerkampfwagen, which means 'armoured fighting vehicle'. Seems reasonable. (And AFV is now the English language term for 'tank-like things' including also e.g. APCs).

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
How is SC still making money? You'd think after 9 years all the whales would have bought all their ships they'd want by now.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Gort posted:

That justification only works short-term, though. Long-term you'd just put a bunch of drone AIs in your fighters and not network them wirelessly.

Might be something to be said for a story where you play a fighter pilot AI, at least there'd be a justification for why you never die when your ship explodes that way

I mean... yeah. That definitely also is a perfectly good in-universe explanation for a logical endpoint for that sort of issue. You'd think that a staff of 600 people spanning 9 years might have arrived at if they had even one single creative bone among the lot of them, but they've only spent $350 million. Maybe they'll try coming up with something original besides new ways to embarrass themselves at the half-billion mark.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

About to be a lot of purchases around $1400. Has CIG put any stuff on sale this week

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

On the topic of AI drones: Isn't AI outlawed in CIG's lore or something like that? I remember this being a "hot topic" in the last Imperator elections.

€: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17782-2950-Imperator-Election#laylani-addison

quote:

First Act: Loosen the current restrictions on AI research to allow for the exploration of new ideas and innovations that would benefit the entire Empire.

Core Campaign Promises: Increase government spending on education and scientific research initiatives to launch a new era of innovation. Would authorize highly regulated AI research to support these advances.

Riveting

chadbear fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 15, 2021

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
In the vein of silly CIG designs, look at this picture:

Why does the space torpedoes have shrouds? Real life torpedoes have shrouds to reduce the noise and cavitation propellers make the water. But these space torpedoes are in space. Are we worried about somebody hearing the torpedoes on their space sonar?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Plot twist just prior to release-

The janky bartenders and other NPCs are revealed to be tier one products of (in-universe) illegal AI research, and therefore perfectly suited for inclusion in the final released SC product.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Why does the space torpedoes have shrouds? Real life torpedoes have shrouds to reduce the noise and cavitation propellers make the water. But these space torpedoes are in space. Are we worried about somebody hearing the torpedoes on their space sonar?

Well this is from a movie director who made a scene about being quiet on your space ship to avoid being heard by other space ships. And who thinks you can swim in space.
He doesn't really understand anything except: WW2 in space!! :effort:

edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Chris saw a concept torpedo without the shroud and was like, where's the torpedo looking bit?! And then told them to put that in. And then told them to change a few more pixels and add shoelaces

L. Ron Hoover fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 15, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

chadbear posted:

On the topic of AI drones: Isn't AI outlawed in CIG's lore or something like that? I remember this being a "hot topic" in the last Imperator elections.

€: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17782-2950-Imperator-Election#laylani-addison

Riveting

This is all so stupid

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

StarBegotten posted:

The word 'scam' appears a fair bit in the user commentary proving, despite CIG and cultist efforts, that this is the public's perception of SC. Time to deploy the Star Citizen Defence Force!

Deeply funny to me that the top comment defending SC is all about Derek Smart and Battlecruiser 3000 AD being very bad

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Deeply funny to me that the top comment defending SC is all about Derek Smart and Battlecruiser 3000 AD being very bad

:D Jesus Christ, he really does live in their head's rent free! :D

I am going to be so sad once this glorious shitshow is all over.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Are those air intakes on the spaceship engines? :raise:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

Only when planetside. They become argon vents in space.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

StarBegotten posted:

:D Jesus Christ, he really does live in their head's rent free! :D

I am going to be so sad once this glorious shitshow is all over.

I had to explain who Derek Smart was to a youtuber a couple days ago and it really made me realize the absolutely impossible shape star citizen has bent all of our brains into lmao

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

commando in tophat posted:

Stop talking FUD.

Those are gravity goo warp plates (GGWP) in there, every spaceship needs them. You just dont get no-air-in-space development.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I had to explain who Derek Smart was to a youtuber a couple days ago and it really made me realize the absolutely impossible shape star citizen has bent all of our brains into lmao

I cant remember who it was on here that said it but they were absolutely right when they said that the lore that has evolved surrounding the development of SC is far more complex and interesting than anything that CIG have come up with for universe of SC.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Why is there torpedo in space in the first place. How is it different from a missile?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dwesa posted:

Why is there torpedo in space in the first place. How is it different from a missile?

You see space is like being in an ocean and missiles are named different than torpedos because the latter is used underwater. And since space is like being in an open sky, torpedos are named different than missiles because the latter is used like that.

Neither should be confused for bombs or mines.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dwesa posted:

I think the general idea in space scifi that is just reskinned WW2/cold war is that missiles (as in guided rockets) are intended against space fighters (=airplanes), while space torpedoes are against space ships (=ships). CIG isn't alone in this, but I don't remember space torpedoes actually looking like torpedoes before

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
For your sci-fi space game, you pick your conceits at least make it internally consistent and fun, write some handwave to justify it all and call it a day. SC is just so jumbled between realism and ww2 in space and failing to commit satisfactorily to either that it rams the cognitive dissonance in your face.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dwesa posted:

Because they initially sold it as a B-17 analogue, then realized they couldn't make traditional bombs work in space, then (presumably) Chris remembered that "space torpedos" are a common trope in sci-fi and they made it that.

Long before the Retaliator got built, the concept art showed a screen that sort of looked down and forward (much the way a bomb sight might) and despite it clearly having navigation data in this picture I'm pretty sure it was hinted at that this would be a sort of "bomb sight" feature.

also lmao I completely forgot the Retaliator was supposed to have these emergency pods that would close around the pilot's seat and then the whole pod would eject into space if your ship was gonna explode or whatever. Cool game.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 15, 2021

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

It seems CIG is implementing "never been tried before, or even thought about" ideas to be used in Star Citizen. It would be cool to have a list with explanations on what it means for players in one post posted:

That way everyone can appreciate the obstacles CIG has had to overcome and have to overcome yet.

quote:

Everything CiG is doing has been done before. It's just never been done before all in one game. That alone creates some issues. Those issues are the only thing CiG is doing that's new and never been tried before.

quote:

Not really true ; For example force reactions inside ships i don"t know another game with this feature
multi gravity fps neither
push and pull troley
volumetric "nebula"

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 15, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What's this about Roberts saying you can swim in space?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Their "plan" to implement real materials modeling and stress/strain stuff might be the dumbest thing SC has ever talked about implementing, and that says a lot. The true believers are going to eat that poo poo up.

Does everyone remember Red Faction? Some of the guys at Volition had to go take basic architecture and civil engineering classes because they didn't know how to build poo poo in a realistically simulated environment without all their poo poo falling down or being ugly as gently caress or just horribly unstable.

Those were buildings (something we've been making forever) on Mars (1/3rd gravity, so it's easier to make stuff that doesn't fall down) in a game series that absolutely prioritized fun over realism and wasn't afraid to sacrifice reality at a moment's notice for cool factor.

Now expand that to spaceships. My brain hurts just thinking about it. In order for this to work, someone at CIG has to be capable of designing and engineering fully functional spaceships. Literally. And even if it works, it will still run into a billion edge case scenarios where it just doesn't work.

Unless CIG cheats and creates some class of new materials. Things with unrealistic young's modulus', expansion coefficients, thermal efficiencies, hardness...... Things that are unobtainable in the materials we use now. They could call it Unobtainium, and use it throughout their spaceships to avoid running into pitfalls like "why do all my ships split in half the moment our maneuvering jets kick on," and "My ship crumples like a tin can whenever I fire the on-keel rail gun with the engines running," and "My off-keel railgun detached the moment I fired it."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Let's see, just immediately off the top of my head…

• GTA4, Falcon 4, any number of vehicle sims, BF1942 (if only accidentally)
• Quake, Unreal (not the absence of numbers on those two), Duke 3D, HL, E:D
• Tomb Raider, Zelda, Astroneer, HL2
• Freelancer, E:D, EVE, just about any flight sim made in this century.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sammus posted:

Now expand that to spaceships. My brain hurts just thinking about it. In order for this to work, someone at CIG has to be capable of designing and engineering fully functional spaceships. Literally. And even if it works, it will still run into a billion edge case scenarios where it just doesn't work.

Obviously CIG will not do anything they promise, but just pretending they did try to build a materials engineering simulator.. why would you get paid slave wages at CIG vs making really good money in the actual aerospace industry making actual things that go to actual space?

Just look at the tank model and Shaman Tank Spec's awesome effort posts about why their tanks are so painfully stupid.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

cmdrk posted:

Obviously CIG will not do anything they promise, but just pretending they did try to build a materials engineering simulator.. why would you get paid slave wages at CIG vs making really good money in the actual aerospace industry making actual things that go to actual space?

Just look at the tank model and Shaman Tank Spec's awesome effort posts about why their tanks are so painfully stupid.

Exactly. Anyone who is capable of doing what needs to be done to make this work could go literally anywhere they wanted in the actual space industry.

It's obviously just more bullshit to fleece money from people, but drat. I guess if you're going to lie, lie big.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sammus posted:

Unless CIG cheats and creates some class of new materials. Things with unrealistic young's modulus', expansion coefficients, thermal efficiencies, hardness...... Things that are unobtainable in the materials we use now. They could call it Unobtainium, and use it throughout their spaceships to avoid running into pitfalls like "why do all my ships split in half the moment our maneuvering jets kick on," and "My ship crumples like a tin can whenever I fire the on-keel rail gun with the engines running," and "My off-keel railgun detached the moment I fired it."

They did say they're going to be modelling alien materials as well

Unfortunately they've already used the name quantanium for something else

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Amazing CIG development, never been done before, bow down to the BDSSE:

push and pull troley

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Lammasu posted:

What's this about Roberts saying you can swim in space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I hope Chris Roberts is studied for generations for his grifting ability.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DigitalPenny posted:

They have a ship already that just has LCD screens lined cockpit which solves like 100 gameplay and design problems.

Instead Chris has insisted on almost every ship having a glass cockpit at the front with struts every where so you can't see anything.

It's like even when they have the right answer they refuse to apply it.

I'm sure though there will be screen shots of tank commanders poking there head out the turret with binocs to look cool while getting a better view, because even the periscope will have struts somehow.

Lol does the Idris have glass windows?

Not at all a weakness to have your Bridge be directly exposed to vacuum on the first impact.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The controversy over the Kotaku article is of particular interest to me. I actually lived through the winter storm. Texas really took it on the chin. Our energy production wasn't winterized enough for the artic cold that we got, and millions of people lost power. When the power went out, widespread pipe bursts started happening. The combination of pipes bursting, and people dripping their pipes in an attempt to keep them from freezing, resulted in massive losses to water pressure and the issuance of water boils noticed to millions - if you could get water at all. I was one of the ones that went several days without water.

For many, there was no power, no water, busted pipes and water damaged houses with interior temperatures in the 40s or 50s. Travel was also very hazardous. Most of the roads iced over. Most Texans drive two-wheel drive vehicles equipped with summer tires, and most of us don't know how to, or have any experience with, driving on ice or snow. The fact that almost all the traffic lights were out due to no power didn't make the driving any easier. Hard to get any supplies, because most stores were closed due to the lack of power and hazardous travel. Same went for getting food. I remember the big air ports in most of the cities closing for several days. I was exposed to a couple of apparent deaths where people froze due to doors not being secured well enough, and the cold getting inside the house while people slept. There was also a number of carbon monoxide poisoning deaths from cars and generators, like the garage door somehow closing when the generator was running in the garage. There was a story in the news if I remember correctly of almost a whole family being lost this way.

It was a pretty rough time for Texas. Our infrastructure and houses weren't designed for this type of cold. It was designed to handle very hot summers - the record in Austin is over a 110 degrees, I think. Our houses are designed to shed heat as quickly and efficiently as possible, not keep heat in. The winter storm was the coldest air we've experience in at least a generation, maybe several generations. During the storm, it was colder in Austin than it was in Alaska. It was a pretty rough and demanding experience for almost everyone in the state. CIG's management being caught with its pants down and tone deaf to the situation if its employees doesn't surprise me at all. Nothing about the company gives any indication of leadership, preparedness, responsiveness, or situational awareness. But seeing the reaction to article from other CIG employees at different locations reminds me of another article I read (if I'm remembering it right) about a non-game company that was likewise founded around a cult of personality. In this article, it argued that presence and influence in the company was determined about how favored you were by the power brokers with access to the person at the center of the cult of personality. This lead to a toxic work environment were coworkers were suspicious of other coworkers throwing them under the bus as they jockey for influence with the power brokers, and secretive cliques formed that competed against other secretive cliques in the company. This reminds me of non-Texas CIG employees falling over themselves on Twitter to say how great CIG is and how much CIG takes care of them.

I also lost power for 6 days. The temperature at night in the house was around 40. I had to barricade off a part of the house that had the fireplace in it and burned wood that I could find in the yard after burning my usual stock.

I feel for the people in Texas, especially if their company has unrealistic expectations given a state of emergency.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ah, but space can be underwater in CryEngine :smuggo:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I think they took some considerable inspiration from the Aliens APC as well, if not more.

Though I do find it cute how the front of the Halo truck looks like the Master Chief helmet. :3

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groshlak posted:

At this point I think they are working for their own mental stability. To face the cold harsh truth would be a blow too hard for their psyche, so they double/triple/quadruple/octuple down instead. I console myself by thinking that at least the money funnelled isn't ending in a more nefarious endeavour than CR cronies enrichment.

100%. Its the same thing you see in the Trump cult. Once you identify with something so strongly you're wearing star citizen pajamas, you can't handle critiques of your dream game anymore.
It MUST be that those people are lying!

Cognitive dissonance is a motherfucker.

How is SC still making money? You'd think after 9 years all the whales would have bought all their ships they'd want by now.

See above. At this point, buying ships IS the game, and the backers are so stockholm syndrome'd into loving SC that they'll continue to play that game as long as they can.

At this point Star Citizen is like a Nigerian Prince; its become so notorious that anybody with half a brain immediately recognizes it as a scam. But then that's the point; it exists to filter out the dumbest of society who have disposable income and then take it from them.

quote:

Star Citizen has now raised a whopping $351,026,475 from over three million customers.

So on average Star Citizen costs you ~$117 to play! The most expensive alpha test in history. (And we know many have spent thousands)

E:

quote:

Today, we stand at 1,177,919 Paying Accounts

So its actually more like 1M accounts, and $300 average to play SC. Ouch!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bofast posted:

Ah, but space can be underwater in CryEngine :smuggo:

Come to think of it, and related to the game ignorance highlighted above, do they even have any varied gravity in SC yet, or is it still just a choice between 1 and 0? Because in that case, we can add the entire Crysis series to the list of games that have more complex “multiple gravity” than this farce…

It would be true to form for CI¬G to fail to even make full use of the engine's built-in capabilities in creating one of their supposed bragging points.