Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Borrovan posted:

Saw a few people on Twitter yesterday going around replying to gammonfolk's comments with "should the Duchess of Cambridge be arrested then?", met with silence each time.

Would have posted it but jfc looking at Twitter yesterday was a mistake, didn't want to inflict it on you lot

the correct answer is that yes she should have been arrested & offered a choice of cigarette & blindfold, but that's got nothing to do with the vigil

Yeah Twitter is out of control right now, and reinforces my belief that there is no bad thing that can happen, that won't have a large number of people going "it's good actually, more boot ketchup please".

Coincidentally, they (the robots) have totally stopped sending me "this tweet you reported was found to violate the rules" notifications, so I guess I'm tagged as a troublemaker for reporting loads of hateful stuff :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
You gotta be a blue tick to get your complaints taken seriously

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

There once was a dream that was England. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile. Plus you'd get put in jail, these days

I would unironically love it if every period drama ended the same way as Monty Python & The Holy Grail. They should make it a law like the old one from the 60's where the baddies weren't allowed to get away with it, resulting in Michael Caine being shot dead or stuck in a van on the edge of a cliff

i.e. if you didn't show everyone involved in an English period drama getting arrested and thrown in jail, then everyone involved would get arrested and thrown in jail

Convex fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 15, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

they're stupid, short sighted and concerned wholly with the short term

efb

It's not stupid to only be concerned with how things will be in your country until the end of your own life. Morally reprehensible, yes, but not stupid. A bunch of rich old fucks get their last twenty years of comfort, safety, and luxury, and that's their job done. It genuinely doesn't matter what happens afterwards.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Convex posted:

I would unironically love it if every period drama ended the same way as Monty Python & The Holy Grail. They should make it a law like the old one from the 60's where the baddies weren't allowed to get away with it, resulting in Michael Caine being shot dead or stuck in a van on the edge of a cliff

i.e. if you didn't show everyone involved in an English period drama getting arrested and thrown in jail, then everyone involved would get arrested and thrown in jail

This doesn't really work when the people doing the arresting are the baddies

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Niric posted:

This doesn't really work when the people doing the arresting are the baddies

Yes but you'd finish it with the jail and police station exploding like the end of the 'how not to be seen' sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGv8oAHxekU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

guffawwing at the amount of (surplus ww2?) munitions spent in that sketch, and having just listened to the latest podcast, imaging cleese narrating the construction of the irish tunnel

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5LZfAVgnj4&t=1689s

wot do you lad dudes think about this old woke brigade calling for the extermination of all men??????! :ohdear:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thing is why do the billionaires or whoever it is funding this culture war poo poo want this constant 50/50 split in society? It's untenable surely? It seems corrosive as gently caress and we'd have been in civil war at any other time in history. I have trouble understanding why anyone, even ultra-capitalists, would want this bullshit to carry on.

Divide and conquer. You just need to get people who would otherwise be on the same side to argue about statues instead.
So far humanity hasn't come up with a counter to divide and conquer.

Me and some gammon can agree that the bankers should cough up their cash or that the british economy should be in the hands of the British people but we can't agree that Churchill wasn't a racist.
Noteably whether Churchill was racist or not doesn't effect either of us materially so we can discuss that in the media as much as we like.

And we can turn all the relevant issues of our decaying state and collapsing environment into symbolic issues that don't threaten anything.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Given the ageist stuff I see ITT, I thought I would indicate some financial issues faced by old people trying to downsize:

Following the incident a couple of week's ago where the guy next door who did her gardening got his dick out to my mother (and told the police he had 'misread the situation' - it was raining and she offered him a cup of tea and parked him at the far end of the conservatory all socially distanced etc), and the revelation that the bloke who murdered Sarah Everard had flashed her twice before turning to murder, mum has decided to put her house on the market and move into town (something we have been encouraging her to do since dad died but especially in the last couple of years as she is getting on somewhat and lives in the middle of nowhere.)

- She's seen a house she likes in town (and she needs to consider accessibility etc due to being 83)
- It's value is about 80% of the one she currently owns (fortunately given the size of the land transaction tax - welsh version of stamp duty - and all the moving costs that will eat up most of the 'profit')
- Almost all her 'wealth' is tied up in the house she lives in which cost f*k all 40 years ago when the parents bought it
- She does not have anything like enough savings to buy the new place.
- While she has a reasonable pension and isn't living on 'bread and scrape', it is not a huge amount of income (not all pensioners are filthy rich, again contrary to beliefs ITT).
- At her age she cannot get a mortgage
- She is not allowed to make an offer on the house she wants to buy without proving that she can buy it NOW (with her own house not yet sold)
- If she sells her house without another one to move into, then she will be rather stuck (very few rental properties that would be suitable for someone of her age).
- There is another potential buyer of the house she wants - 'from London' with the cash in the bank already - who wants it as a buy-to-let.
- She votes Green not Tory (though wouldn't be seen dead voting Labour) and voted 'Remain'. (Before anyone says 'serves you right for being a pre-boomer.)

Fortunately, one of my brothers is relatively wealthy and has agreed to show money in an account SO LONG AS it can be legally protected (in case mum dies between offer and completion or indeed the even older person selling the new house does and it goes into probate for yonks) as he cannot afford for the amount of money involved to be tied up in mother's estate and he also needs the money himself as he is due to retire in the next couple of years. (Anyway, he's on the case with the lawyers over that at the moment.)

If it were not for this, then mum, essentially, would be unable to move. This must be the case for a lot of the despised 'why do you own a big house when you're over 80 and don't need that much space anymore' group.

If you cannot prove funds before selling up, you cannot put in an offer on another place even if the place you want to buy is cheaper than the place you are selling so if you do sell up before buying a new place, you are then thrust into a rental market which also despises old people, and who could easily fail the Homelet tests inflicted on potential renters and where many rental places are really unsuitable for old people with some mobility issues etc.

If mum sold her place without another to move into, all her belongs would have to go into storage. I live in a miniscule 26sq.m. 1-bed flat with a minute kitchen (literally 1sq.m. of floor space between the mini-sized units - I don't even have a drawer wide enough for a regular sized cutlery tray) and nowhere for a second person to live. She could probably squash into my sister's place if it got desperate though it would be tough all round, her husband would probably have a nervous breakdown within a week, and they'd probably kill each other within a month.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Kind of missing the room size and cost of the houses in your “anti-ageist” rant there. Like my parents just sold a 4 bedroom house in the countryside and downsized to a flat, which cost 600k because it’s in a famous building where as a 3 bed in my street costs £100k.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

learnincurve posted:

Kind of missing the room size and cost of the houses in your “anti-ageist” rant there. Like my parents just sold a 4 bedroom house in the countryside and downsized to a flat, which cost 600k because it’s in a famous building where as a 3 bed in my street costs £100k.

How are you managing to post in this thread from the 1980s?

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

peanut- posted:

A friend who is working on the vaccine roll-out told me we're really seeing the effects of all the stupid fearmongering around the AZ vaccine here now. Apparently they're getting a lot of cancellations and people turning up then refusing the vaccine when they find out it's the AZ one.

So loving stupid.

My Austrian in-laws are saying the same thing happening there and in germany.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

She said the new house was 80% of the value of the current one and that she expected most of that to disappear in costs suggesting it wasn't a huge figure.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

How are you managing to post in this thread from the 1980s?

By living in the middle of nowhere I presume.

I mean if you're willing to live in Girvan in Ayrshire, which is nearly 2 hours by train from Glasgow, 3 bedroom terraced house for sale on Rightmove for £64k. Of course the downside is that I'm not sure what work is in the area without bare minimum having to travel 20 miles to Ayr because it's a small seaside town of about 6,000 people.

Sometimes I forget the lunacy of housing inflation, but looking on Rightmove at the area I grew up, they've got the history of a neighbours property being sold 3 times back to 2003: £22,815, in 2011: £120,000, in 2020: £145,000

It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, semi-detached ex-council house with a good sized garden, pretty annoyingly small kitchen, sort of semi-rural semi-suburban village I guess you'd call it. Within commuting distance of Inverness but the local bus service will drive you insane. No loving idea how it went up in value over 5 times in 8 years.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 15, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

- She does not have anything like enough savings to buy the new place.
- While she has a reasonable pension and isn't living on 'bread and scrape', it is not a huge amount of income (not all pensioners are filthy rich, again contrary to beliefs ITT).
- At her age she cannot get a mortgage
- She is not allowed to make an offer on the house she wants to buy without proving that she can buy it NOW (with her own house not yet sold)
- If she sells her house without another one to move into, then she will be rather stuck (very few rental properties that would be suitable for someone of her age).
- There is another potential buyer of the house she wants - 'from London' with the cash in the bank already - who wants it as a buy-to-let.

Isn't this the concept of the chain that affects most people who need to buy and sell their houses

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

By living in the middle of nowhere I presume.

I mean if you're willing to live in Girvan in Ayrshire, which is nearly 2 hours by train from Glasgow, 3 bedroom terraced house for sale on Rightmove for £64k. Of course the downside is that I'm not sure what work is in the area without bare minimum having to travel 20 miles to Ayr because it's a small seaside town of about 6,000 people.

plenty of cheap houses in middlesbrough too, only at the price of seeing what 40% child poverty does to an area.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's new builds being advertised for 100k on the signs near where I live. 100k for a house is seemingly normal in the north.

E: ^^ lol up the boro

I simply deal with the place being horrible by never going anywhere else so it's just what everywhere is like as far as I'm concerned.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

plenty of cheap houses in middlesbrough too, only at the price of seeing what 40% child poverty does to an area.

Yeah, it's not coincidental that if you google "most affordable towns in the UK" you get places in County Durham & Ayrshire & the Rhondda, places decimated by the closure of industry in the '80s.

2 bedroom terraced house in Shildon for under £50k.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 15, 2021

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
There's a point made by Mark Blyth that the hypothetical average boomer is comfortably in the top 10%, but that's because the top 10% of boomers are the top 1% of wealth distribution.
Put another way, we're down on boomers because only 90% of them up poo poo creek with the rest of us. Meanwhile there's a lot of common ground we could have with them about accessible spaces, meaningful communities and good public transport.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Endjinneer posted:

There's a point made by Mark Blyth that the hypothetical average boomer is comfortably in the top 10%, but that's because the top 10% of boomers are the top 1% of wealth distribution.
Put another way, we're down on boomers because only 90% of them up poo poo creek with the rest of us. Meanwhile there's a lot of common ground we could have with them about accessible spaces, meaningful communities and good public transport.

As a group they consistently vote for cutting public transport and accessibility and meaningful community and public spaces.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

OwlFancier posted:

E: ^^ lol up the boro

I simply deal with the place being horrible by never going anywhere else so it's just what everywhere is like as far as I'm concerned.

i'm very lucky that most of the time when I go to visit my friends it's in blackpool which is just as nightmareish as the boro so I don't suffer the envy much.

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, it's not coincidental that if you google "most affordable towns in the UK" you get places in County Durham & Ayrshire & the Rhondda, places decimated by the closure of industry in the '80s.

it's a shame, I remember when I was optimistic about corbyn winning an election and I thought how much better off places like that can be if they just had a bit of investment for the first time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure there is any subgrouping in society, or any question asked, where the answers given do not basically skew old/bad and young/good.

Apparently it's the olds in labour that love starmer too, I'm going to have to take a drill to my brain before I catch it. I don't really see why it is so universal but it absolutely appears to be by every measurable metric.

I genuinely worry that it might happen to me without noticing, that it is just something that happens as your brain cells die or something and you can't tell.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Endjinneer posted:

sadly they're all too lead and daily mail poisoned to ever realise their situation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i'm very lucky that most of the time when I go to visit my friends it's in blackpool which is just as nightmareish as the boro so I don't suffer the envy much.

I've never been to blackpool but I just imagine it's like a bigger redcar.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

I've never been to blackpool but I just imagine it's like a bigger redcar.

i'd actually argue it's worse than redcar, because redcar is merely grim and abandoned while blackpool has hordes of seagulls ready to murder you for a chip and they are aggressive and used to getting what they want, they don't even shut up at night.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I like Blackpool because we went there a lot before I was old enough to realize how grim it was, and now I'm older it's like, endearingly grim.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Total Meatlove posted:

As a group they consistently vote for cutting public transport and accessibility and meaningful community and public spaces.

And they do so because "they don't use them" . It's the same as Brexit - they never wanted to travel, live and work in the EU, so why should anyone have the right? So utterly self-centred.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i'd actually argue it's worse than redcar, because redcar is merely grim and abandoned while blackpool has hordes of seagulls ready to murder you for a chip and they are aggressive and used to getting what they want, they don't even shut up at night.

Would be hard to beat the coast round here too.

First time it's been sunny in a while.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

No, we're down on boomers because as a generation they pulled up the ladder after them. They had a welfare state that allowed for some degree of social mobility & all that jazz, that their parents generation earned fighting in the war, that looked after people on the whole & then in the 1970s the binmen went on strike for a bit & they couldn't get their trash picked up & they decided the solution was to elect the Greed Is Good government over & over & over. Who sold off public property on the cheap, who dismantled the welfare state, who turned poverty into a personal moral failing of the pauper rather than the collective moral failing of society. Who smashed workers rights. Who oversaw a massive increase in income & wealth inequality, as an intentional policy (bad enough if it was accidental but this was even worse).

There's a lot to critique about the "post-war consensus" & how it blunted any actual revolutionary change while offering barely more than the bare minimum but it's still a drat sight better than what we've been left by them as they ride off into retirement. And yes, lots of poor people bought into this loving crabs-in-a-bucket bullshit too.

Generational politics can get in the way of class politics but in this instance it is blatantly obvious that ignoring the reality of generational wealth & opportunity differences because they don't fit into a classical Marxist paradigm is stupid.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Blackpool vs. Grimsby which is the grimmer place with a grim name.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I went to Blackpool on a slightly damp and windy day in April and there was literally 20 people in the entire Pleasure Beach park so they just switched on every ride as we walked up to it. One of the best days out I've ever had, went on easily 30 rollercoasters.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

crispix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5LZfAVgnj4&t=1689s

wot do you lad dudes think about this old woke brigade calling for the extermination of all men??????! :ohdear:

Absolutely incredible that Emma Kennedy made a pitch-perfect satire of her own life twenty years later. That SDP mug echoes through the ages!

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I like Blackpool because we went there a lot before I was old enough to realize how grim it was, and now I'm older it's like, endearingly grim.

I have the exact same thoughts about Skegness; going there enough as a kid kinda makes it hard to let the grimness bother me to much

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I imagine that iconic "drunk brits" photo being taken in somewhere like blackpool.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mechanical mandible posted:

I have the exact same thoughts about Skegness; going there enough as a kid kinda makes it hard to let the grimness bother me to much
I was just thinking the same about Mablethorpe, although it did piss it down far more often than not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mechanical mandible posted:

But it's so bracing!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think honestly they just can't understand. I don't know why but they just can't. Even if they might be nice people, they just can't get what it's like to be in our position.

The friend who nearly died last year, who often says it's a terrible shame how bad it is for people my age, who is, in many respects, a very kind and thoughtful person, still thinks Sunak should be PM because "he's been very fair to the north all things considered"

I just don't think they are capable of making a connection between their politics and the consequences, or that the government could possibly not be helping people. And yet I still try to keep her alive. She isn't capable of understanding my life or my situation. Maybe she doesn't want to. Feels like a microcosm of my life and situation generally, to be honest. They smile, they might be polite, and they'll vote you into the grave.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is 'bracing' when you have to dry your socks out under the grill? It was definitely that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As mentioned above, this is what property chains are for, house selling is frequently held up so that everyone in the chain can exchange, complete and move on the same day. You definitely don't need to get a mortgage for the new place if your old house will cover it, otherwise no-one would be able to move to a more expensive house if their current property wasn't able to be factored into the cost.