Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I will say that there definitely feels like some post-hoc rationalization but they do try to explain the lack of cohesion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It both has a story reason and still sucks, so don't worry about it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In any case I am near the end or at least in the beginning of the last act (of the non royal content, anyway), right?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There are still _3_ more dungeons to go before you hit the end of vanilla P5. I'd say you're more like 2/3 through the game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

OOookay, I am still trying to get through P5R so I can swing at P5S, and I do genuinely like the game! But I just got past where I dropped off in the original, up to the beginning of the fifth(I think? It started in September, for Okumura ) and...the leadup to this palace is sort of a mess? I mean, I like the Morgana Leaves subplot on paper, but come on, couldn't we have trimmed that down, and that drat Hawaii trip for that matter, in order to give some a little more screentime to this new character who is basically being married off against her will into an abusive relationship? It feels like the seems of P5's (supposedly) messy production is showing here.

EDIT: Maybe I am missing something, but it just feels like there is a lack of cohesion.

Honestly you're at the weakest part of the game right now. It's the weakest dungeon (although significantly improved from the original P5 version) and the party member they do the least with. And who in base P5 came out of nowhere; at least you've seen her around Shujin a few times in P5R. Fortunately the next one is arguably the best in the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Me and my wife also hated the scene where the girls beat up Ryuji, fwiw. But that's also because it's the last in a long line of scenes where we were yelling AT LEAST HUG ALREADY at the screen, where people even in the most emotional friendship-affirming moments just stood social distancing levels apart and maybe nodded. Instead of a well-deserved group hug of relief or - like P4G handled scenes of extreme relief, with the girls (and some of the boys) crying - they beat him up instead, which is exactly what we didn't want to see.

The hot springs perv scenes also all suck rear end. The food disaster ones in P4G were hilarious though. Maybe we have some wrong cultural expectations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I want to think that the hot spring scenes are just clinging onto the last vestiges of 'haha weren't things like this funnier ten years ago?' and by P6 we'll still have a bunch of dumb dumbs, just not in dumb dumb scenes like this.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want to think that the hot spring scenes are just clinging onto the last vestiges of 'haha weren't things like this funnier ten years ago?' and by P6 we'll still have a bunch of dumb dumbs, just not in dumb dumb scenes like this.
I don't remember having too much of an issue with scenes like that in P5, we chalked up P4G's as products of its time. I honestly think Ryuji perving as much as he does is fine. I don't overly like realism arguments in games, but it'd be weird to not have at least one party member in a game about (romantic) relationships between teenagers a little too horny. Like, I was a little too horny at 16 and crossed some borders with female friends and got rightfully shut down. It makes for terrible cringy memories now of course and I'm a very different person, but it makes me absolutely understand Ryuji going a little too far with Ann sometimes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah P5 isn't too bad, it's just that there's a pretty blatant scene of it in P5S and I was rolling my eyes and going "c'mon guys, you were doing so well this game".

Ryuji's a bit of a horny straight teen, that's not too bad but 'dude best friend who's also really bummed his normal loser self isn't picking up ladies' is also a formula I hope they'll switch up a bit next time. Ryuji's the best of the lot though, Yosuke's kinda sad (though he's in a tiny town so I have a tiny bit of sympathy) and Junpei... well he gets better.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm hoping they branch out a bit going forward and have young adults as a cast. Maybe university students, or people who are taking a leap year between high school and university (not sure if that's really a thing in Japan though) so we can have a proper globetrotting trip.

If they really wanted to go off the rails they could put it in a historical setting like a Grand Tour or at the university of Bologna in the Middle Ages or something like that, but I doubt they'll stray so far off the winning formula when so many people enjoy the contemporary setting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hot springs trips are very much a normal japanese thing and seen as a pretty strong bondbuilding thing and stuff, but the persona series implements them with no real charm. like even as peeping jokes go the ones in the persona series feel real mechanical and dull, they just kinda happen because it's a trope. and of course the fact that you can do a funny, friendly feeling hot springs scene without having perv jokes never really occurs to them.

and (minor persona 3 spoilers) also junpei being Professional Hot Springs Pervert while he's basically dating Chidori, at least in his own mind, is extremely weird.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I'm hoping they branch out a bit going forward and have young adults as a cast. Maybe university students, or people who are taking a leap year between high school and university (not sure if that's really a thing in Japan though) so we can have a proper globetrotting trip.

If they really wanted to go off the rails they could put it in a historical setting like a Grand Tour or at the university of Bologna in the Middle Ages or something like that, but I doubt they'll stray so far off the winning formula when so many people enjoy the contemporary setting.

It's not a thing, no. The closest thing to that trend in Japan is either going on an exchange year during university or some people take a working holiday after they graduate.

I don't mind the high school aspect but I would kind of like them to go back to the middle of nowhere like P4 rather than Tokyo or a Tokyo-esque again.

I very much doubt Atlus is up for anything radical though. SMT V appears to be set in a ruined Tokyo again and chances are P6 is another high school teen romp.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I finished the P4 Animation, and have started on the P4G one. Let me quickly say this about P4GA before I babble about P4A:

lol did they expect anyone who hasn't played the game to have ANY IDEA what's going on in P4GA? They skip entire party member storylines, and they just...show up? So bizarre. Yu goes from "new kid in town - no friends" to "friends with the first 3 party members" inside of 10 minutes - with no backstory on anyone?

You guys called it. It's not good. I'm going to try and finish it for the sake of completeness - but no promises. It's bad.

So.....LOOOOOOOVED P4A.

I didn't really know that version of the story, having only played Golden, but the animation was really well-done, and the story is great. My opinion of the characters didn't change a whole lot from when I played the game, with the exception of Yosuke - who yeah - he's awful. Teddie was about as bad as I was expecting, but seeing more of Yosuke was just like "wow, dude. wow." Would have preferred if at some point in his arc he'd gain at least a little bit of self-awareness. But - I guess the plot is more about accepting yourself, rather than accepting others. But good lord - nearly every line he utters that isn't directly about the murders is either homophobic or WAY too horny.

My new favorite, completely unexpected character is Aika. Every time she's in a scene I laughed out loud. That bizarre detail about Aiya being able to literally deliver anywhere is hilarious. Plus her deadpan personality is great too, and in light of Yu also being super deadpan, kinda made me wish they could hangout more. Everyone being super puzzled every time when she's all "just leave the bowls" is amazing.

I'm sure it's tough from a writing standpoint to give an actual voice/personality to a previously silent protagonist, but I really like what they did with Yu's character. Blunt and deadpan is perfect for him, and tons of his lines and scenes made me laugh aloud. The King's Game scene is great, as is the scene near the end of Yosuke's confidant sequence where he insists Yu hit him so they can be equals were standouts.

I also really dug the way they translated the gameplay into the scenes inside the TV World. Having the Personas do the actual fighting was great and sorta reinforces the idea that the Persona is a part of your inner self, which makes the combat sort of a battle of wills. They did a really good job of showing Yu getting more and more powerful as time goes on, too.

At any rate: A++++++++++ WOULD WATCH AGAIN! GREAT SELLER! L@@K!!

If you have the means to watch it - highly recommended.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

HaB posted:

lol did they expect anyone who hasn't played the game to have ANY IDEA what's going on in P4GA? They skip entire party member storylines, and they just...show up? So bizarre. Yu goes from "new kid in town - no friends" to "friends with the first 3 party members" inside of 10 minutes - with no backstory on anyone?

I think it's because anyone who's played P4G went in with the understanding that P4GA would end up kinda sorta being like a NG+ run, with the earliest tipoff being Yu going for the handshake before Mooroka starts chewing him out. I would imagine it would be weird for someone who has no familiarity with P4 at all to wonder what's going on, but I would think they'd at least go for an LP or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah P4GA is pretty much made for people familiar with the game/original, the same way that Strikers expects you to know what happened in P5 (and even then, it's highly recommended to have played it than watched/read an LP since there's a lot of minor references you might miss out otherwise).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

RillAkBea posted:

It's not a thing, no. The closest thing to that trend in Japan is either going on an exchange year during university or some people take a working holiday after they graduate.

I don't mind the high school aspect but I would kind of like them to go back to the middle of nowhere like P4 rather than Tokyo or a Tokyo-esque again.

I very much doubt Atlus is up for anything radical though. SMT V appears to be set in a ruined Tokyo again and chances are P6 is another high school teen romp.

I really wouldn't mind a Persona game about a Japanese exchange student in university... there's even programmes that are like 1 semester a particular city and another semester in another city that could provide a good framing for a globetrotting experience.

fight shadows in Trinity College library in Dublin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 4 golden the animation is worth it just for the scene where yu gets suplexed through a table

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 16, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

OOookay, I am still trying to get through P5R so I can swing at P5S, and I do genuinely like the game! But I just got past where I dropped off in the original, up to the beginning of the fifth(I think? It started in September, for Okumura ) and...the leadup to this palace is sort of a mess? I mean, I like the Morgana Leaves subplot on paper, but come on, couldn't we have trimmed that down, and that drat Hawaii trip for that matter, in order to give some a little more screentime to this new character who is basically being married off against her will into an abusive relationship? It feels like the seems of P5's (supposedly) messy production is showing here.

EDIT: Maybe I am missing something, but it just feels like there is a lack of cohesion.

This has been answered but I wanted to give you my own input, since I just beat the game.

You are at the lowest point of the game, Okumura's palace is a goddamn drag. My advice, especially if you are hating it? Put it on easy if you need to and look up a guide to just get through it.

P5R really picks up after the Palace. Seriously, the next palace is THE best one in the game, and the story begins to take off. So hang in there!

Also if you have not already, now is the time to max out Maruki (Councillor) confidant because it is needed to unlock the third semester. If you can, also make sure you have maxed out Akechi and Kasumi

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like Kamoshida's is better personally, but to each their own.

Also the game gives you a heads up for Maruki's confidant, so while you want to finish it in time you get plenty of notice for it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Yeah, this is why I get kinda bummed about how much Atlus' output has whittled down since handhelds dying off and them making the HD jump proper. Persona might be able to pull me if it actually gets some new blood post-Studio Zero, but generally I find their spinoffs and other IPs a lot more interesting than modern Persona and mainline SMT since those two are largely really hewn to their formulas.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Endorph posted:

persona 4 golden the animation is worth it just for the scene where adachi suplexes yu through a table like he's triple h

IS THIS REAL DO I NEED TO WATCH THE ANIME NOW

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 16, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artelier posted:

IS THIS REAL DO I NEED TO WATCH THE ANIME NOW

(p4 spoilers) video

the idea of 'their personas are exhausted so it just devolves into a fist fight' is actually pretty cool but the animation quality just isnt there to sell it, so it comes across more comical than anything

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 16, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

(p4 spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Vdb2MzaSY

adachi got his own vocal battle theme in the golden anime thats actually pretty good tho, him sharing new world fool with namatame was always a bit lame

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Could we put some of these names under spoiler tags? I think there's at least one person playing P4 for the first time in this thread.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

(p4 spoilers) video

the idea of 'their personas are exhausted so it just devolves into a fist fight' is actually pretty cool but the animation quality just isnt there to sell it, so it comes across more comical than anything

I wonder if this is where they got the idea for Maruki's fist fight

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 16, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I wonder if this is where they got the idea for Maruki's fist fight

Given the Fistfight at the end of a work is been a thing since forever I doubt it.

Endorph posted:

(p4 spoilers) video

Yeah your description was way better than that.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 16, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the description was indeed better, but its still extremely funny

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does the P5R Futaba palace boss let you be a relentless rear end in a top hat to Futaba? was that in the original?

I beat the boss anyways but man, why would Futaba want to hang out with Joker now :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Playing P5D and Morgana's long arms are creeping me out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m still making my way through the game, I’m almost exactly where Unlucky07 is: having just entered that palace to finally make my way towards the treasure. I’ve been thinking more about this game in comparison to FE3H because it’s incredibly obvious where FE3H got its inspiration from in the not-Fire Emblem parts of the game. I think P5’s biggest advantage over 3H is its plotting. P5 has some bits that feel overlong maybe but everything is pretty tightly woven for the most part and the plot moves at a good logical pace, where 3H swings for the fences attempting to make a game where the story can be vastly different. This is ambitious but ends up feeling like 4/3 of a game that you can’t get all at once (and making people go through the samey first half each time to get to the branches was a poor decision). Both games have very blank slate protagonists but P5 also does a much better job of making Joker feel like a character that develops rather than a cipher like Byleth.

I think as far as the cast of characters goes, FE3H takes a slight edge, and I think that the mid-game surprise has a lot to do with it. a 5 year age gap is dramatic and allows for much bigger swings and more noticeable growth.You don’t get quite as much time with each character, although that’s balanced by the non-MC support scenes, but I feel like the characters have more naturally developed layers. 3H does such a good job of undercutting your expectations by making everyone into a cliche and then fleshing them out so that even the worst and obnoxious characters feel real. P5 kind of does that but each social link feels more like a melodrama that gradually rolls out it’s component pieces and less like a glimpse into an actual social network.

I know this ultimately just boils down to me missing the inter-party communication that doesn’t involve the MC. Aside from Ryuji and Ann who develop enough of a rapport while Joker is around, I don’t get the feeling that the team is all that cohesive. There are little moments, like Ann and Makoto talking after the latter joins the team, the showtime creation scenes, or glimpses into Makoto’s home life but I want more.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Those are generally fair criticisms. I will say that Persona games accomplish that to varying degrees; in P3 the cast feels more like a motley band of adventurers that may not always like each other but have a common purpose, and P4 is more 'happy fun friendship circle that rib on each other'.

P5's group dynamic could definitely have used more group scenes, at least the spinoffs help a bit with that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Why does the P5R Futaba palace boss let you be a relentless rear end in a top hat to Futaba? was that in the original?

I beat the boss anyways but man, why would Futaba want to hang out with Joker now :v:

No, that boss was totally redone.

I didn't check myself but I assumed when going through the fight that I needed to pick the right answers so Futaba could stand up to the cognition and protect the group from the big damage attacks. If she protects you either way then :shrug:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think the idea is meant to be some tough love kind of thing, similar to how you can rag on Ryuji and Ann during their awakenings to an extent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuuuE8i10bs

The persona 1/2 writer has a new project, CG anime set to air this summer with a tie-in mobile game.

quote:

The staff describes the story as a "noir teen" story with the motifs of Cthulhu Mythos (from author H.P. Lovecraft's modern legends about cosmic horrors) and nostalgia

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think the idea is meant to be some tough love kind of thing, similar to how you can rag on Ryuji and Ann during their awakenings to an extent.
You can be a relentless dick to many people with some of the answers in P4/5, I think that's either supposed to be funny or give you more options to roleplay as something different than a blank slate goody-two-shoes hero at least in those limited ways.

Of course, I always busted Yosuke's and Teddie's balls whenever possible

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And the P3 protagonist can be the most dickish of all of them, though I don't really have context for Futaba's Palace boss because I haven't played Royal yet. Telling your buddy to buy running shoes as a present for his cousin who can't walk? You can do that! Telling a 7-year-old that she's probably responsible for her parents getting divorced? You can do that! You can be incredibly cruel to most of your Social Link buddies, whereas most of Yu's "third option" dialogue choices are just kinda goofy and off-the-wall, and Joker's are kinda snarky but harmless.

Also the optimal path through most of the Social Links in that game involve enabling questionably wise behavior, whereas the more modern protagonists feel like they're helping a little more, even if the actual developments are mostly driven by the character who isn't silent.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Persona 5 has so many snarky to dickish responses for Joker. I rarely used them, because while my Joker could be tough he was never a dick.

Though some of the "dickish" dialogue options were just hilarious and I had to use them

One dialogue option that stands out is when you run into Kasumi in Hawaii.

Kasumi “your friends seem nice!”

Joker “they’re cool”

Or

“They’re weird”

It is funny that unlike a western RPG where the rear end in a top hat response will get you “bad” points and a bad character/ending in the Persona games it doesn’t seem to matter and the characters you interact with just let it roll off their shoulders.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 16, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Persona 5 has so many snarky to dickish responses for Joker. I rarely used them, because while my Joker could be tough he was never a dick.

One dialogue option that stands out is when you run into Kasumi in Hawaii.

Kasumi “your friends seem nice!”

Joker “they’re cool”

Or

“They’re weird”

It is funny that unlike a western RPG where the rear end in a top hat response will get you “bad” points and a bad character/ending in the Persona games it doesn’t seem to matter and the characters you interact with just let it roll off their shoulders.

To be fair, I say my friends are weird all the time, I'm weird, it's not particularly dickish to say? I definitely can think of several worse dialogue options in Persona 5 in terms of being a dick for no reason.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is funny playing P5R again and interacting with Akechi. All I can think is how I wish he would drop the goody two shoe act quicker as he is so much more fun to interact with when he is being true to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair, I say my friends are weird all the time, I'm weird, it's not particularly dickish to say? I definitely can think of several worse dialogue options in Persona 5 in terms of being a dick for no reason.

Yea my post wasn't very clear, I should say that was one of the few "dickish" lines of dialogue that I actually used because it was hilarious, but not too dickish. I'll re-word my post.