Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

The ides of warch are here. Beware!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I have never lost a save thanks to my fastidiousness, abundance of caution, and total lack of friends.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I definitely remember getting into arguments with my brother when he thought I deleted his save files.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Well, that's an ominous top of the page...

I have two tragic lost saves. One was last summer when my FFT save corrupted after about 40 hours of playtime, and the other was when my brother deleted my 100% OOT save as a youth...now I'm sad :smith:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The only save loss I can remember of the top of my head is a classmate slapping my GBA out of my hands and losing me the first 5 hours of FFV.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Vermain posted:

I have never lost a save thanks to my fastidiousness, abundance of caution, and total lack of friends.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I had a gamecube memory card that was 1024 blocks. I imagine it must have been third party because it got corrupted and I lost like, all of the save data that was on it. It didn't look like 3rd party though, it looked like an official memory card.

At any rate I lost the first 20 hours of Skies of Arcadia and that's why I've never finished Skies of Arcadia.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Arzaac posted:

I had a gamecube memory card that was 1024 blocks. I imagine it must have been third party because it got corrupted and I lost like, all of the save data that was on it. It didn't look like 3rd party though, it looked like an official memory card.

At any rate I lost the first 20 hours of Skies of Arcadia and that's why I've never finished Skies of Arcadia.

Iirc even the official ones at that size had a pretty high failure rate

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arzaac posted:

Oh yeah I had two third party Gamecube memory cards straight up melt in the ports (like, there was actual smoke and molten plastic) so I lost everything. I was devastated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I used to delete saves as a kid as an acknowledgement I was done with a game. Having 15 years of cloud saves with xbox has messed me up when I boot up something like Feeding Frenzy and it knows where I left off.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Arzaac posted:

i had an official one that died pretty quickly, taking quite a few files with it. fortunately one of my friends had very similar taste and let me copy a bunch of his files, and even more fortunately he was much more into resident evil 4 than i was. so that's how i unlocked the handcannon without at all earning it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
An EA employee has been selling ultra rare FIFA Ultimate Team cards on the black market for thousands of pounds

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is this Cyberpunk?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Lol i just realised the games called invisible inc as a pun on invisible ink

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

This is why FUT Cards need to be NFTs on the Blockchain

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Thinking about the time my parents, without telling me, let my cousin borrow my Link to the Past cart.

When I eventually got it back, I discovered she had renamed Link to EGYPT.

I hadn't finished the game at that point so I completed the game with that save.

Ya'll ever name Link something else?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Lady VG cannot stand the fact that I always use save slot 2 when starting games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Rink

(just in case: cause of my username, not a racist joke)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I would never betray the sanctity of changed a named character's name. If they're anonymous they are fair game but Cloud is Cloud, Ash is Ash and Link is Link :hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The talk about lost saves is reminding me of the time when I accidentally saved over my near-endgame Tales of Destiny save as a kid. I think I was messing around with the beginning of the game or something for reasons I sincerely don't remember and I just reflexively saved over my real save and I was so furious with myself. Pretty sure I threw a huge and very vocal fit about it.

Then I replayed the whole game starting the next day :v:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have started naming all my male characters in games Jimothy Bingbong.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VideoGames posted:

Lady VG cannot stand the fact that I always use save slot 2 when starting games.

I'm with LVG. Why would anyone do this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I have started naming all my male characters in games Jimothy Bingbong.

I badly need you to play a Persona game so that we can witness the adventures of Bingbong-senpai

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

stev posted:

I'm with LVG. Why would anyone do this?

So you don't accidentally spam x too much and save over the 1 position

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't use my real name for video game characters anymore because I'm not comfortable with who I am lol and have a female name I use instead that feels more right lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol pay your employees a livable wage and they wouldn't feel compelled to do this. I respect what that employee tried to do to be honest, but micro-transactions need to be banned from video games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

I badly need you to play a Persona game so that we can witness the adventures of Bingbong-senpai

I do have persona 5 and played up to the first dungeon! It was not my usual thing but the UI and music is sublime. I think it just did not quite grab me but once my souls adventure is over, if the royal version is cheap I would play that and talk about it :)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t really fuss over a custom name unless it’s a SMT or Etrian Odyssey game for some reason, then I’m stuck for almost an hour. I also never self insert since it feels like I’m robbing the character of their identity by putting my dumbass in their shoes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never rename characters who have default names. Like Final Fantasy party members, I always, always go with default names. Same for Link and any other nameable character who has a name already entered into the box when it opens. Even if a character's "canon" name is from outside the game, I usually stick with that, too. These days I always name the Persona 4 protagonist Yu Narukami, for example.

I do have fun when it's a create-your-own-character or -party game and nobody has a default name. If it's something like Final Fantasy 1 or Etrian Odyssey, I usually name everyone after herbs, spices, and other plants. It started when I played Dragon Quest IX and named the characters Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme to amuse myself. Then when I have more than four characters like in Etrian Odyssey, I branch out. My Etrian Odyssey V party was all plant names: Juniper the Harbinger, Cicely the Fencer, Coriander the Pugilist, Fennel the Warlock, and Sorrel the Shaman.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

VideoGames posted:

:eyepop:

Rarity posted:

I would never betray the sanctity of changed a named character's name. If they're anonymous they are fair game but Cloud is Cloud, Ash is Ash and Link is Link :hai:

Aerith or Aeris

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I do have persona 5 and played up to the first dungeon! It was not my usual thing but the UI and music is sublime. I think it just did not quite grab me but once my souls adventure is over, if the royal version is cheap I would play that and talk about it :)

Persona 5 Royal is extremely good so I'd love to read/hear your takes on it if you do play it! It's a huge time commitment to finish the whole thing though so it's definitely a "when you're ready for like 120 hours of dialog-heavy RPG" type of game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Aeris if you're from a colony, Aerith if you're from the continent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I want to start doing this now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Since I finally have a PS5 coming in I may pick up Royal. I’m assuming no save transfer right? It’d be cool to roll through the early game again with my boy Metatron

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

Since I finally have a PS5 coming in I may pick up Royal. I’m assuming no save transfer right? It’d be cool to roll through the early game again with my boy Metatron

You get bonuses for a P5 save but that is it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, there's no real save transfer. You get some items and a bit of money for having a P5 save but that's it.

On the bright side, it's a ton easier to increase social stats in Royal, so it didn't feel punishing to have to do it again. It's nice to have a lot of evenings back where the cat doesn't make you go to sleep. The game also gives you extra opportunities to get rank-up points with confidants--they often call you on the phone after each rank-up so you can get another handful of points each time--so ultimately it ends up being even easier to max everything than in vanilla P5.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wamdoodle posted:

Aerith or Aeris

Um

Well

You see

*eyes start rattling in head*

*explodes*

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

The closest I ever got as a kid to getting all seven chaos emeralds was Sonic Advance 2. Then my little brother changed the language to Japanese. He didn’t read Japanese, so then he deleted my file.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

something I've picked up on while watching a shitload of the pokemon anime is that pikachu has a consistent vocabulary, for instance saying pika-pi to ash because his japanese name is satoshi :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Playing unreal tournament under the name "his own rear end" because it made all the death message templates hilarious