Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bucky is boring but you can certainly get some mileage out of a black man inheriting the role of peak american excellence that was previously held by a white blond muscle hunk, and society freaking out over it.

Will be surprised if there won't be scenes with Sam murdering people with drones. After all there's a rich mcu tradition to uphold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Not revealing the plot is Marvel's thing now. The last time they gave us a genuine hint at the plot of a movie was probably Black Panther?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

You saw the TV series, then? I wouldn't be shocked if the entire budget for 20 episodes didn't exceed $2m.

The Mortal Kombat TV show probably cost a fair amount of money for the time, it was the first to be produced from start to end in 1080(i) - or 1125i as it was described at the time (MUSE counted all the lines that aren't displayed)
NHK cofunded it because they wanted content for their HD channel (which was broadcasting for ~4 hours a day due to lack of content)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm boycotting the new Mortal Kombat movie unless they bring Christopher Lambert back.

There hasn't been a Highlander or Mortal Kombat movie in over 20 years and he needs the help.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 15, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ookiimarukochan posted:

The Mortal Kombat TV show probably cost a fair amount of money for the time, it was the first to be produced from start to end in 1080(i) - or 1125i as it was described at the time (MUSE counted all the lines that aren't displayed)
NHK cofunded it because they wanted content for their HD channel (which was broadcasting for ~4 hours a day due to lack of content)

I find this impossible to believe. It looks like trash and it has approximately two sets and one location.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every trailer for this show has the effect of making me less interested.

If anything at least it has set my expectations low enough that I might enjoy it? :confused:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Would the first MK film even be so positively regardedif it wasn't for that absolutely kickass theme song though? I feel that's a good 50% of the enjoyment. The guy playing shang Tsung and Christopher Lambert being utter hams accounts for the other 50%

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most people who watched that movie were kids. It’s bad but in a fun kinda way. That theme song does do a lot of legwork though.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Invalid Validation posted:

Most people who watched that movie were kids. It’s bad but in a fun kinda way. That theme song does do a lot of legwork though.

I watched it just a few months ago and still enjoyed it. It's a fun movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Some movie enthusiasts will be aghast and insist that it is not possible. However, there are movies that are not good, but are fun to watch.

Mortal Kombat is one of those movies. The acting, costumes, script, and most of the special effects are bad, but it is still fun to watch - and not in a "so bad, it's good" way.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm looking forward to fat winter soldier myself, but I partly admit it's because I wanna see chud reactions to Sam eventually taking the mantle fully. They already bitched at the end of Endgame. I lived through samcap in the comics and the max chud outcry. I'm ready to experience those movie goer tears of hatred.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some movie enthusiasts will be aghast and insist that it is not possible. However, there are movies that are not good, but are fun to watch.

Mortal Kombat is one of those movies. The acting, costumes, script, and most of the special effects are bad, but it is still fun to watch - and not in a "so bad, it's good" way.

I maintain annihilation is the later.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I maintain annihilation is the later.

Annihilation owns because in the first two minutes of the movie:

- Johnny Cage is immediately killed off.
- Raiden appears in a Hawaiian shirt and played by a new actor and they explain it away by saying that his spirit possessed a different body on earth for some reason.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm looking forward to fat winter soldier myself, but I partly admit it's because I wanna see chud reactions to Sam eventually taking the mantle fully. They already bitched at the end of Endgame. I lived through samcap in the comics and the max chud outcry. I'm ready to experience those movie goer tears of hatred.

I'm hoping the show does a better job explaining why Steve chose Sam as his replacement than Endgame did too, because Steve has only really known Sam for a short while in the MCU, where he has a long history with Bucky and Bucky has superhuman physical abilities that basically rival Steve's own ones. Sam is just a well trained but regular dude without the wings. Never mind that Bucky was Steve's assistant as Cap during World War II, and is a fundamentally decent guy himself. And also that Sam's Captain America costume balances the shield and wings well, because it's looked busy and weird to see a guy with wings holding the shield or storing it on his back any time I've seen art from the comics or fanart that's depicted it. Assuming he doesn't just stop using the wings at least, which I doubt he will.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 15, 2021

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

MK had an easier time given the source material. The games were cheesy Kung Fu spectacles with enough plot to make a coherent story. And that’s what the film was. Other video game movies at the time either strayed to far from the source (Mario Brothers) or stuck too close to what wasn’t a good plot to begin with (Double Dragon).

It’s been a long time since I watched Annihilation, but I remember the problem with that one was trying to include the entire bloated cast of MK and that really killed any hope of it being a coherent story.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edmund Lava posted:

It’s been a long time since I watched Annihilation, but I remember the problem with that one was trying to include the entire bloated cast of MK and that really killed any hope of it being a coherent story.

Which is ironic, because the movie replaced or killed off the character of nearly every actor from the original MK.

It also starts out in media res with a giant portal opening, Shao Khan (who was not even in the first movie) just yelling that he has returned, that the tournament from the first movie was pointless, and humanity being remarkably chill about the existence of portals to another dimension and an alternate dimension Emperor who wants to destroy the earth.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I watched Annihilation the other night and it was awesome but which MK character is Natalie Portman supposed to be?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The little head that pops in and says Toasty

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I watched Annihilation the other night and it was awesome but which MK character is Natalie Portman supposed to be?

She'll be Alternate Dimension Raiden soon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I believe she is supposed to be Goro, but they took a lot of liberties with the adaptation of the character to the movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Which is ironic, because the movie replaced or killed off the character of nearly every actor from the original MK.

It also starts out in media res with a giant portal opening, Shao Khan (who was not even in the first movie) just yelling that he has returned, that the tournament from the first movie was pointless, and humanity being remarkably chill about the existence of portals to another dimension and an alternate dimension Emperor who wants to destroy the earth.

Shao Kahn was in the first movie - he appears in one shot right at the end. Brian Thompson was the acting highlight of MK2 as well, the funniest scene in the movie being when he kills Rain.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Yeah and Inhumans was shot for IMAX. Didn't stop it looking like cheap poo poo.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

cyclical posted:

It's funny because I don't find Chris Evans attractive at all. Too much of a generic beefy blond, does absolutely nothing for me. Same for all the other Chrises, who blend into One SuperChris for me.

I'm sorry, but I won't have this besmirching of the Chrises. You have a plethora of Chrises, a veritable smorgasbord of Chrises, and you dare to suggest they run into each other like one amorphous Chris blob? You have Evans who is the kind of generic, high school quarterback Chris (though if you want dark and troubled you should check him out in Snowpiercer). You have Hemsworth, who's the surfer dude who is secretly super sensitive Chris. And you have Pratt who's the slightly geeky hot guy at church who may well trap you into a weird cult Chris. What more Chris diversity do you need?

cyclical posted:

Sebastian Stan, though? Yeah, I'm here for that. Anyway, it's not that big of a mystery if you know fandom even a little bit: he's a hot guy, who was tortured (literally and figuratively) and sad and bad-rear end and vulnerable in The Winter Soldier. It was a pretty nice cocktail of a lot of things that are going to appeal to a lot of people.

Yeah, I guess here's where I don't know fandom that well. Or rather, my fandom experiences were always very much in the straight male lane of fandom. I had kind of suspected that was the deal with Bucky, though. Someone to take care of and fix. Or at the very least teach about this wonderful 21st century invention called "conditioner"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We were robbed of a proper Cap 3 and the expansion of Falcon’s character is yet another casualty of that.

To be fair, neither Thor nor Iron Man got second films so it evens out.

QuoProQuid posted:

Emily VanDerWerff has a great piece in Vox about WandaVision and the problem of “justice” in fiction: https://www.vox.com/culture/22325656/wandavision-finale-justice-disappointment-story-karma

That is an great piece, and does hit in what I'd say is one of the few issues I have with the show (I'm always pretty dismissive of "this thing I wanted didn't happen" as a criticism, though). On the same topic, the Cinematic Universe podcast had a really interesting discussion, with different perspectives, on the Wanda accountability issue in their latest episode: https://play.acast.com/s/d305d8dc-87fe-4ca0-a92f-ef2eeebb3fb6/a01adbe0-f832-456c-b54c-6935195a22b3

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i hope they do some isaiah bradley poo poo on fatws and people get upset

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Right I'm saying that the Mortal Kombat TV show almost certainly cost a lot of money to make because they were invented the production workflow as they made the show. The SFX looked like poo poo, yeah, but they were being done at full HD, not SD, which automatically makes things more expensive, particularly given the time it was being made. There's loads of stuff from the 90s that was using cutting edge technology that just aged so fast so hard because the state of the art was moving so fast.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Daduzi posted:

I'm sorry, but I won't have this besmirching of the Chrises. You have a plethora of Chrises, a veritable smorgasbord of Chrises, and you dare to suggest they run into each other like one amorphous Chris blob? You have Evans who is the kind of generic, high school quarterback Chris (though if you want dark and troubled you should check him out in Snowpiercer). You have Hemsworth, who's the surfer dude who is secretly super sensitive Chris. And you have Pratt who's the slightly geeky hot guy at church who may well trap you into a weird cult Chris. What more Chris diversity do you need?

I worship at the altar of Chris

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Crisis on Infinte Chrises.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My girlfriend is friend with a lot of Sebastian Stans (yes this is what they call themselves) but shes more into the Tom Hiddleston side of that equation. I am someone who is on the Chris side, tho Pratt does nothing for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

double negative posted:

:same:

Chris Evans is apparently the goofiest nerd Chris, and that rather endears himself to me.

The MCU has something for everyone though, and for me that was Michael B Jordan.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

double negative posted:

I think one of the very early press releases or interviews on FATWS was that the series is focused on Sam + Bucky digging into the true origins of Captain America and there have already been casting rumours for Eli Bradley (which would definitely dovetail into the whole Young Avengers thing they are clearly gunning for down the line)

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

KittyEmpress posted:

My girlfriend is friend with a lot of Sebastian Stans (yes this is what they call themselves) but shes more into the Tom Hiddleston side of that equation. I am someone who is on the Chris side, tho Pratt does nothing for me.

Pratt is a good instance of finding out the person is kinda lovely which therefore makes them less attractive by association.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Adus posted:

the quicksilver thing is definitely on the show for setting people up to be disappointed. you can make arguments that maybe people got way too 'pepe silvia' about other things, but there was no way the fietro thing wasn't going to be a big letdown for the majority of viewers. as i stated before, i don't think they were trolling or deliberately winding people up. i think they just thought it would be fun. but casting peters after the recent fox acquisition (while things like jamie foxx's electro and alfred molina's doc ock are being confirmed for the next spider-man) really is a big tease and i don't think that particular one is on the fans.

They've said the casting was misdirection, but more to serve the story over anything else. If they brought in Aaron Taylor Johnson that would have entirely different implications for the story, if they cast a rando everyone would just assume it's just a trick. But casting Peters in the role you get the effect of the audience being as unsure of what's going on as Wanda.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm hoping the show does a better job explaining why Steve chose Sam as his replacement than Endgame did too, because Steve has only really known Sam for a short while in the MCU, where he has a long history with Bucky and Bucky has superhuman physical abilities that basically rival Steve's own ones. Sam is just a well trained but regular dude without the wings. Never mind that Bucky was Steve's assistant as Cap during World War II, and is a fundamentally decent guy himself. And also that Sam's Captain America costume balances the shield and wings well, because it's looked busy and weird to see a guy with wings holding the shield or storing it on his back any time I've seen art from the comics or fanart that's depicted it. Assuming he doesn't just stop using the wings at least, which I doubt he will.

If nothing else, the show would probably go a lot differently had Steve picked the guy who killed Iron Man's parents.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

double negative posted:

After Wandavision I'm a lot more optimistic (though still only maybe 50/50) that FATWS will actually be willing to take risks in addressing the black Captain America in the room.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Vanity Fair writer from a couple days ago:

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/1370528801529073667

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

That final trailer is better visually than practically all of WandaV

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1371488658562424838

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

KittyEmpress posted:

I like Sebastian Stan, but I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a Tom Hiddleston super fan. The Chrises are good as well, but not Pratt, he (aside from being in a church that uses conversion therapy it has been shown several times that he is awful with pets. Stuff like abandoning an adopted dog, the poor doggo was found starving and wandering in the streets).

Edit:

quote:

The MCU has something for everyone though, and for me that was Michael B Jordan.

We all need more Killmonger.

Daduzi posted:

After Wandavision I'm a lot more optimistic (though still only maybe 50/50) that FATWS will actually be willing to take risks in addressing the black Captain America in the room.

I'm here for this and I hope they go for it!

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Desperado Bones posted:

We all need more Killmonger.

The What If...? Episode is going to be interesting.