Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

denereal visease posted:

Noctua or their chromax variants.

The original Noctua color scheme is gross (imo, some people love it), but apparently you get a y-splitter and a 'low-noise adapter' in every box. They may come with some other stuff, but I've only every gotten their chromax parts and been very pleased with them.

The chromax line does't include the splitter and the fans only have like a 5cm lead on the PWM header, but they all come with 20cm extensions and 'low-noise adapter'. They assault aren't an affront to aesthetic sensibilities.

This is news to me and actually makes me glad I got the regular coloured NFa12x15 for my build, even though it's the only thing in there that isn't otherwise black or grey. The included splitter came in very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Right got a weird one

Transferred all my kit into a different case and different mobo

Sata M2 boot drive isn't booting, already has windows installed on it. Shows up as a drive in bios in the sata M2 slot but doesn't appear in the boot section.

Any ideas?

Edit. Nvm, turned on CSM and this fixed it.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 15, 2021

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
So I built my rig in summer 2011 based on this thread's recommendations. Use is split between gaming and Adobe CS / DAW work. Most of it ran for nearly ten years without issues, only had to replace the SSD (bought a bad initial model), PSU (went out at the five-year mark), and GPU (taken when the PSU failed). At the moment, my secondary HDD is failing, and while it doesn't host the OS it does host drat near everything else. With the stimulus check coming in and me looking to get a real-rear end WFH tech job (and needing to upgrade to win10 to do it, still on win7), I'm looking to upgrade my mobo, CPU, RAM, and storage.

Current rig:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz (3.7GHz) LGA 1155 (never actually overclocked this)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
Memory: 16GB DDR3 RAM
Primary Storage: Intel 320 Series 80 GB SATA SSD (healthy at 13195 hours)
Secondary Storage: Western Digital Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB HDD (failing at 14345 hours)
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Cooler Master V750 Gold

Upgraded rig plans:
OS: Windows 10 Pro ($0.00, gonna get the [url]https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/21065140/how-to-upgrade-microsoft-windows-7-10-free-os]free upgrade[/url])
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asrock AB350M Pro4 ($0.00, got NIB from a relative)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Primary Storage: SAMSUNG 870 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Adobe CS5 / DAW Storage: Intel 320 Series 80 GB SATA SSD
Secondary Storage: Western Digital 6TB WD Black Performance Internal Hard Drive ($189.00 @ Amazon)

Total Cost: $540.97

This is all napkin math and Amazon searches and I'll look at other sites to see if I can get more optimal parts and shave some off the final cost. Open to any and all part suggestions. I just wanna get some eyes on this build and make sure that everything will work together. I'm not too hip to AMD APUs and am looking specifically to utilize my current GPU with a CPU and not pay for wasted functionality. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 15, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

spunkshui posted:

AIOs have a pump that never shuts off so if you manage to dial your fans down the point where you can’t hear them you will absolutely notice that there is a pump.

AIOs are a great answer for having more overclocking headroom or being able to see your ridiculous glowing ram you overpaid for.

If silence is the goal then go for a large air cooler.

So i just finished my new build today with a 320mm aio and its quieter than my previous CPU fan which was a scythe fuma 2

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

zgrowler2 posted:

This is all napkin math and Amazon searches and I'll look at other sites to see if I can get more optimal parts and shave some off the final cost. Open to any and all part suggestions. I just wanna get some eyes on this build and make sure that everything will work together. I'm not too hip to AMD APUs and am looking specifically to utilize my current GPU with a CPU and not pay for wasted functionality. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.

Don't get a Ryzen 2600, get the 3600, it's basically the same price and a generation ahead. You should get an M.2 NVMe SSD rather than that Samsung, the SN550 is much better value and would be much faster, is cheaper, and takes up much less physical space in your build. Keeping your current GPU is the smart move for the time being. Ryzen's APU offerings are older and mostly out of stock at the moment, they're long overdue releasing a decent new APU to retail customers. From the looks of it that PSU has a 10 year warranty so you're good to carry that over.

Your storage situation is concerning though, if you say the current HDD is failing then you need to be backing that up yesterday, not waiting for the rest of this build to come in. I would ask though, do you need the additional bulk storage by moving up to a 6TB HDD, or could you buy say a 2TB HDD to carry over your old data, and then reinvest the money in a bigger NVMe for example?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

denereal visease posted:

Noctua or their chromax variants.

The original Noctua color scheme is gross (imo, some people love it), but apparently you get a y-splitter and a 'low-noise adapter' in every box. They may come with some other stuff, but I've only every gotten their chromax parts and been very pleased with them.

The chromax line does't include the splitter and the fans only have like a 5cm lead on the PWM header, but they all come with 20cm extensions and 'low-noise adapter'. They assault aren't an affront to aesthetic sensibilities.

I love the classic Noctua fans (not that I own any). Their aesthetic is that of a 1970's swinger party. All consumer tech should be shades of brown.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Butterfly Valley posted:

Don't get a Ryzen 2600, get the 3600, it's basically the same price and a generation ahead. You should get an M.2 NVMe SSD rather than that Samsung, the SN550 is much better value and would be much faster, is cheaper, and takes up much less physical space in your build. Keeping your current GPU is the smart move for the time being. Ryzen's APU offerings are older and mostly out of stock at the moment, they're long overdue releasing a decent new APU to retail customers. From the looks of it that PSU has a 10 year warranty so you're good to carry that over.

Your storage situation is concerning though, if you say the current HDD is failing then you need to be backing that up yesterday, not waiting for the rest of this build to come in. I would ask though, do you need the additional bulk storage by moving up to a 6TB HDD, or could you buy say a 2TB HDD to carry over your old data, and then reinvest the money in a bigger NVMe for example?

Thanks for the reply! 3600 it is, swapped that out on the spec sheet. My only concern is whether it comes with a stock cooler for me to plug in or whether I'll need to get an aftermarket one? I did see some M.2 NVMe SSDs for decent price, that tech is new to me and apart from form factor I don't know all that much about it.

Re: the current HDD, ever since I ran diagnostics last night and confirmed the impending failure I've had a hotswap eSATA bay and multiple 1TB HDDs pulling data off. I've got everything vital secured and the only thing left to do is figure out whether I want to clone the remaining data (essentially, the AppData and Program Files trees) to a fresh drive or just manually move the trees and then place what I need back into a fresh win10 install's storage. I definitely need more than 1.5TB, but 2TB will do just fine if I bump the SSD up to 1TB. Updated list is below:

Upgraded rig plans:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asrock AB350M Pro4 ($0.00, got NIB from a relative)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Primary Storage: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD ($104.95 @ Amazon)
Adobe CS5 / DAW Storage: Intel 320 Series 80 GB SATA SSD
Secondary Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ Newegg)

Total Cost: $490.93

e: vvvvvvvvvv sounds good, I've swapped that SSD in accordingly. Thanks again!

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 15, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Your motherboard has two m2 slots and one of them supports nvme and the other has sata. You want the 1tb Western Digital SN550 nvme drive. It's $100 with great warranty and performance. The Ryzen 3600 comes with an adequate fan.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Hell yeah, I'll pull the trigger on these Wednesday and start the build hopefully early next week. Thank you both so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
3600 comes with a stock cooler, although it's not great

e: f,b sorry

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Coolermaster is running a $10 rebate from what I can see on Amazon this week so if you want a 212 or a 212 v2, $20-25 for an aftermarket air cooler seems pretty good to me.

BDSM-IV
Sep 22, 2016
Batteries not included.

change my name posted:

You can get a nice 24" 1080p monitor for $99, any reason you went so small?

That is a good question. To be honest, I've been stubbornly managing with 15" laptop because I needed to carry it everywhere for school, so anything larger seems like an improvement. 24" sounds like a good idea.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Quite a lot wrong with this build. Just use the included cooler with the 3600, don't spend extra to get a worse passive cooler. You don't need a b550 board with your components although that one is cheap enough so might as well stick with it. Try to get 3200 speed CL16 RAM if you can. Absolutely don't spend $200+ on 600W titanium PSU, you could get away with a much lower wattage and cheaper gold rated one. You might as well spend the extra $10 or $20 it would cost you to get a 2TB SN550 NVMe for much faster storage.

Then take what you saved on the PSU and not buying full price windows as the other poster recommended, and invest it all in the GPU because the one you have listed there is barely enough to play pong.

But then you're in the same boat as everyone else, where even low end GPUs are non-existent or scalped to hell

Awesome, thank you! As for GPUs, what are the minimum specs I should be looking for? I don't typically play super graphics-intensive games, but I would like to at least be able to run something like GTAV on low or medium settings.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

BDSM-IV posted:

That is a good question. To be honest, I've been stubbornly managing with 15" laptop because I needed to carry it everywhere for school, so anything larger seems like an improvement. 24" sounds like a good idea.

Awesome, thank you! As for GPUs, what are the minimum specs I should be looking for? I don't typically play super graphics-intensive games, but I would like to at least be able to run something like GTAV on low or medium settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSO3tKiWgF8

That's with the 2GB version of the card, god knows how much worse the 1GB would run. In normal times, I'd say get something like an RX570, RX580, or 1660, something around the ~$200 MSRP. However it really can't be reiterated enough how poo poo the current GPU stock situation is, so good luck finding those cards at a normal price.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

[quote="zeldadude" post="513230482"]
What are everyone's favorite case fans? I'd prefer RGB (this is my first build in like 7 years so I have no choice, I *have* to add RGB!) but I guess if there's some that are better that aren't RGB that's fine too.
[/quote

For RGB looks, corsair punches down on the rest of the industry when it comes to fans.

LL 120s/140s look gorgeous and QL 120s somehow managed to have even more LEDs.

Corsair’s RGB fans have two plugs one of them has the normal PWM connector to spend the fan and the other one is an actual RGB plug.

You can either get a three pack of fans which will come with the hub that allow you to plug in six devices or you get a corsair’s case that comes with one of those.

The RGB hub plugs into an internal USB header of motherboard.

I’m personally just running all brown noctua a12x25s but I’m not gonna lie my wife’s glowing nonsense looks really cool.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Corsairs ML120s are really loving good.

I put a pack in my new case and they are whisper quiet.

The QLs are fine too but they block off some of the fan space around the outside to add the LED ring in.

Speaking of, the Corsair 5000D airflows cable management is great

Front side in all it's RGB glory

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 15, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I tried looking through past posts to get an idea and so sorry for this in advance, but what are the thread's current recommendations for B550 boards?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I personally like the MSI B550M Pro VDH Wifi. It's a micro atx board but according to Hardware Unboxed's testing the VRMs and performance is identical to the popular B450 Tomahawk Max from last year. It's only around $100 most of the time.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Well, my first full build ended up in a nightmare.
MSI B550-A Pro
5600x

PC powers on, but no signal comes to the monitor. All fans go either 100%, or everything spins apart from GPU depending on the boot. I've triple checked all power and fan cables. MSI's debug LED indicates a CPU failure or no detection. I've flashed the BIOS to the latest non-beta version with the Flash BIOS button following the manual in case the BIOS didn't support Vermeer, but the debug led for CPU did not disappear upon reboot. I've put RAM just to DIMMA 1 slot and tried booting, same results. I noticed to my horror that there was some sort of soft plastic attached to the side of the RAM on DIMMA2 slot that felt similar to the board's plastic standoff at the m2 drive.
Should I have tried the flash without a CPU at all?

It's very late as it is so I can't really work on the PC until tomorrow. I have one other discrete GPU that I salvaged from a lenovo enterprise PC, it's some weird rear end Radeon GPU that came with a A-10 7800 build. At the moment I have an ancient Radeon HD 7850 in the PCI-E slot which ran fine in the previously mentioned Lenovo desktop.

Tomorrow I will try booting once on a table without a GPU on an open case to see if the CPU led is still on, and will switch to the weird rear end discrete GPU.

After that the only thing I can think of is reattaching the CPU and check the heatsink and thermal paste if something has gone wrong with that or if I have managed to bend the pins.

Any suggestions? I'm going to have a really hard night's sleep :ohdear:

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 15, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The correct procedure is to flash the BIOS with nothing else other than the 24pin and CPU power cables connected. No ram, gpu or cpu. Whether that's the issue is a different matter, but you should definitely try removing everything and trying that properly. Some people have reported success flashing the BIOS on b550 boards with the CPU in but that isn't standard procedure.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah, I would have flashed the bios from the get-go without the CPU attached if I hadn't found that the mobo's supposed manufacture date based on its serial number was late enough to have Vermeer BIOS from the factory but that matter could have been false.

Hopefully I didn't botch the board completely up by trying to flash the BIOS with CPU attached. I'm going to have to find a guide how to safely remove a heatsink without damaging the CPU for tomorrow. Apparently yanking it vertically out is a no-no?

Probably going to have to look into clear CMOS or whatever if cpu-less&ram-less flash won't work.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

What is the consensus on good non ssd hard drives?

I'm looking to put a 8 to 10tb drive In my new build. Mostly just for storage and the pc will be used as a plex server as well.

I've read the 5400rpm ones work fine for plex streaming.

Hard drives have gotten weird since the last time I bought them, there's like enterprise ones, NAS ones, etc.

What do I want here? What's the deal as far as size vs cost? Seems like the 8tb Seagate 5400rpm ones look like a decent enough deal(150ish on newegg).

Any suggestions?

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Linear spacebar is more important than heavy spacebar imo

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Dessel posted:

Hopefully I didn't botch the board completely up by trying to flash the BIOS with CPU attached. I'm going to have to find a guide how to safely remove a heatsink without damaging the CPU for tomorrow. Apparently yanking it vertically out is a no-no?

Probably going to have to look into clear CMOS or whatever if cpu-less&ram-less flash won't work.

You didn't botch the board up completely, don't worry. I got myself into a similar state a couple of times where I thought I'd borked everything and got stressed about it. Just go to sleep and approach it with a clear head tomorrow.

As to removing the cooler, yeah you shouldn't be yanking anything in your case. If you've just recently installed it though it should come off again easily enough. I had cause to remove and reinstall mine a few times within the last couple of months after building in December and it was no issue. Depending on what the cooler is, just unscrew it the same way you screwed it down (alternating turns on different screws so as not to concentrate pressure too much on one side) and then when it's loose, give it a twist from side to side to help it separate, then gently pull up. If it still doesn't come away, use a spudger or something to break the seal between the thermal plate and the CPU but I really doubt you'll need to do that.

Clearing the CMOS is easy, assuming you don't have an ITX board. Just pull the battery out of the board for a few minutes and reseat it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

feedback loop posted:

Linear spacebar is more important than heavy spacebar imo
I think this is the first time I've read someone's post that appeared to be apropos of nothing and known exactly which thread they meant to post in instead

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Malaria posted:

What do I want here? What's the deal as far as size vs cost? Seems like the 8tb Seagate 5400rpm ones look like a decent enough deal(150ish on newegg).

The usual deal is WD Easystores or some other external USB drives, which you then take apart (shuck) and use the internal drive in your computer. You can find more up to date information in the NAS megathread.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Butterfly Valley posted:

Even with Aussie dollars these are both horribly scalped, nearly twice what you should actually be paying for them

Just to follow up on this, people on the Aussie PC reddit are saying $1700 for a 3080 is reasonable :eyepop: and my retailer is selling them for $1569, so I don't think they're scalping, its just the Australia Tax.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dbyZdD

This is what I put together so far for my new gaming PC. I am just going to keep using my current video card until I find a deal (not ripoff) on a new one. Anything I'm missing and do I need to actually worry about that BIOS thing its telling me?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I put together a new build and my case doesn't arrive until tomorrow, I got the Lian-Li 011D, trying to keep everything as compact as possible. Are there any cases smaller than it that will hold a ATX mobo and 12 inch GPU? I'm curious how tiny I can actually get this PC. I haven't had much luck finding anything smaller.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Saukkis posted:

The usual deal is WD Easystores or some other external USB drives, which you then take apart (shuck) and use the internal drive in your computer. You can find more up to date information in the NAS megathread.

Thank you! I didn't even think to look for a thread like that.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Stroop There It Is posted:

I think this is the first time I've read someone's post that appeared to be apropos of nothing and known exactly which thread they meant to post in instead

Oh brother I gotta check my bookmarks closer

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sigher posted:

I put together a new build and my case doesn't arrive until tomorrow, I got the Lian-Li 011D, trying to keep everything as compact as possible. Are there any cases smaller than it that will hold a ATX mobo and 12 inch GPU? I'm curious how tiny I can actually get this PC. I haven't had much luck finding anything smaller.

https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus_x/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Traveling CCircus thread is in SH/SC. Post your masterpiece builds!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 16, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mu Zeta posted:

I personally like the MSI B550M Pro VDH Wifi. It's a micro atx board but according to Hardware Unboxed's testing the VRMs and performance is identical to the popular B450 Tomahawk Max from last year. It's only around $100 most of the time.

Thanks for the recommendation!

My current build is in the Cerberus X, and I love it a lot. It is quite amazing how well ATX fits into it given its size.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Turns out the reason my 5600x MSI B550-A Pro combo was giving me a CPU error on the debug LEDs was because I hadn't fully opened the clasp of the AM4 socket when I put my CPU in. I figured that when I memorized my build and rewatched a video, realized something was off when the CPU came out with the cooler without any force right after unscrewing the cooler :doh: and remembered I hadn't seen the CPU socket shift when I locked it. Thank loving God my idiocy didn't break the CPU. It gave me a chance to also reapply thermal paste as Arctic's video of applying it according to the lines of the heat pipes was... A bad job on my part. Just went with a pea on the center of the CPU

I did remove everything except the ATX power and CPU power and redid the bios update just in case. Been having some boot issues after driver updates but that was probably due to me installing non-executable storage drivers like the idiot I am. That or Windows update and driver updates conflicting somehow.

My HD7850 is giving me an anxiety attacks every single time the pc boots now as the fans go full blast as it's been a sign of boot issues lately. I'll probably travel and get my RX480 within a week to have something a little less underpowered

Is it normal for RAM to display sub-3200mhz speed on the bios?

Building in meshify 2 compact left me with a ton of space and cable management wasn't nearly as difficult as I feared it would be with a non-modulae PSU. The top being removable makes things so much easier.

Edit: I can't say I enjoyed how Arctic freezer 34 and this mobo worked with the backplate. There's a lot of slack before you attach the CPU cooler and I noticed it super hard after disassembling the CPU cooler as the effing standoffs came with the cooler. I tightened them more on my second install. That slack felt unnatural and I had to pivot the case on the edge of a table to get the CPU cooler thumbscrews to connect on the opposite side after loosely attaching the first screw.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 16, 2021

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Dessel posted:

Is it normal for RAM to display sub-3200mhz speed on the bios?
Yes, you have to enable XMP (called D.O.C.P. on some AMD socket motherboards) to get the XMP speed of 3200 CL 16. Otherwise it runs on the default speed of 2133 CL 15.

Vir fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 16, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dessel posted:

It gave me a chance to also reapply thermal paste as Arctic's video of applying it according to the lines of the heat pipes was... A bad job on my part. Just went with a pea on the center of the CPU

I have no idea what you’re talking about with lines of the heat pipes, but single center dot or single center line are both highly accepted practices when applying paste.

The point of the paste is to make it thick enough where it fills all gaps between the CPU ihs and the flat plate of the heat sink, while not being so thick it impedes transfer.

https://youtu.be/EUWVVTY63hc

This video is always worth the watch for the intro. But TDLR is it doesn’t matter for the most part, outside of large size CPUs.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I have no idea what you’re talking about with lines of the heat pipes, but single center dot or single center line are both highly accepted practices when applying paste.

Certain coolers with exposed heat pipes on the transfer plate give instructions to apply thermal paste along the length of the exposed pipes rather than as a dot on the surface of the CPU.

thus

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Certain coolers with exposed heat pipes on the transfer plate give instructions to apply thermal paste along the length of the exposed pipes rather than as a dot on the surface of the CPU.

thus

Oh that makes sense. Those don’t seem to use a single cold plate and have 4 separated pipes so you’d realllly want to have paste coverage on all of them. Wasn’t aware that was a thing, thanks.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lol I did that last year too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's really drat sexy. Gonna have to bookmark this for sure, thanks!