Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I bought destiny 2

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought both Destinys at launch and played maybe 50 hours between them both. They were pretty fun although admittedly there was a lot of unfilled potential. As far as console FPS go I've played much much worse

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Destiny 2, and Bungie’s management thereof, is perhaps one of the most powerful examples of the cycle of abuse in video game history.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Even though it’s short on titles ATM, the few rest mode hiccups I’ve had really were absolutely getting one at launch. It’s exciting to have, it runs faster and better and much much quieter than my PS4 Pro and TBH this is very embarrassing but it kinda forced me to clean up my act a little.

Like got my PS5 and was like “drat this is so nice, I should get a really sweet big TV” so I did and then I was like... “wow you’re room has all this lovely college furniture that clashes with your sweet new TV” so I completely redid my room and my living space and now it looks like a severely deranged but functional adult lives here instead of wook-den covered in dog hair and magic cards. Even my mom, who has to get creative sometimes when saying nice things about me, was like “wow youre bedroom looks great! It’s like a hotel room for people on acid!”

Uh.. thanks Mom Rodd. :unsmith:

Anyways can someone PLEASE page Video Games to the thread title? Valley of Defilement is a proper noun, the ‘D’ should be a capital letter and the educator in me is getting stress hives from looking at it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyways can someone PLEASE page Video Games to the thread title? Valley of Defilement is a proper noun, the ‘D’ should be a capital letter and the educator in me is getting stress hives from looking at it.

Fixed :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You used to be so dang wholesome and kind. Now look what you've become :colbert:.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
:negative:

Video Games has become Hollow

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You forgot the apostrophe. It's the Valley of d'Efilément.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You used to be so dang wholesome and kind. Now look what you've become :colbert:.

Videogames being turnt by dark souls :twisted:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is definitely the av. I find my avatar makes me feel more or less cheeky depending on how it is :D Been having a lot of silly little joke posts lately.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
TIL that Ghost of Tsushima is the second most completed PS4 game. It has a 50.2% completion rate. The only PS4 game with a higher completion rate is Spider-Man (50.8%).

This is good news! A superb game that really deserves all the accolades it gets. I think completion rate, as a metric, is a function of Playability x Engagement. A game can have high playability but lack anything to keep you hooked, and a game can have an amazing and engrossing story or progression but be dogshit to play. Sushi Ghost ends perfectly balancing this line that nearly half the gamers (who bother syncing up their consoles to the cloud, I guess) saw Jin’s journey through to the end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of games tend to tick down in completion rates over time as they go on deep discount & PS+ and you get a lot of low-interest adopters.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love trophies just to see cool stat like this!

The one that always opened my eyes was only 8% of people beating the cleric beast in bloodborne

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I love trophies just to see cool stat like this!

The one that always opened my eyes was only 8% of people beating the cleric beast in bloodborne

???

???

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

I'm probably mis remembering lol

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bust Rodd posted:

TIL that Ghost of Tsushima is the second most completed PS4 game. It has a 50.2% completion rate. The only PS4 game with a higher completion rate is Spider-Man (50.8%).

This is good news! A superb game that really deserves all the accolades it gets. I think completion rate, as a metric, is a function of Playability x Engagement. A game can have high playability but lack anything to keep you hooked, and a game can have an amazing and engrossing story or progression but be dogshit to play. Sushi Ghost ends perfectly balancing this line that nearly half the gamers (who bother syncing up their consoles to the cloud, I guess) saw Jin’s journey through to the end.

Given how long of a game that is, that's even better. I think God of War is also close to a 50% completion rate.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
cleric beast is optional isnt it? i know you can get gascoine to help you out but you can easily wind up at the gascoine fight and completely miss the beast

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's semi optional, you need to beat him or BSB to progress

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, you can technically bypass it. You won't get the Sword Hunter Badge if you do, though, which can be pretty crippling because that's how you unlock antidotes for purchasing. You won't get access to Homeward Bones either, or whatever they were called in Bloodborne again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
whats the lore reason for having to fight either beast or BSB then? i cant remember, all i remember is getting the chalice from BSB and thinking that was optional too

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It is, yeah. You never have to get the chalice. You simply choose to go after them anyway, because that's just what you do. It fits in with Bloodborne's whole overarching theme of the Hunt always eventually turning into slaughter for its own sake, same as how there are at least two bosses in the game that aren't actively hostile to you until you attack them first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

whats the lore reason for having to fight either beast or BSB then? i cant remember, all i remember is getting the chalice from BSB and thinking that was optional too

Killing BSB opens one of the doors in the Cathedral, that's it :iiam:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

Slaughter is cool

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_lYq6VQ48s

THE EPIC CONCLUSION TO THE DOOM SLAYER SAGA

the gently caress does that even mean, cos the doom slayer saga started in 1993 mfers

edit: lmao its a teaser for the trailer that was meant to be out today which is now out 17th even tho the dlc is gonna drop on the 18th.

also they better explain the deal with evil doom slayer without loving up the intricate lore im over invested in, now that he even looks the loving same. the only thing i can think of is the dark lord copied the body or something when the divinity machine was used?

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 15, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_lYq6VQ48s

THE EPIC CONCLUSION TO THE DOOM SLAYER SAGA

the gently caress does that even mean, cos the doom slayer saga started in 1993 mfers

hyped as gently caress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh good more epic doom guy saga

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
marauders

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fuckin armoured baron of hell with a spiked ball surrounded by chaingunners :eyepop:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 15, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A trailer for the trailer

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Destiny 2 was better before Beyond Light. I will never understand removing content as an expansion?! How does that make sense?!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I know I have been speaking about the Souls games a lot these days but I just want to talk about them so much. I am still playing a ton of other games (Yakuza Kiwami 2, Marvel's Avengers, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Blasphemous and Dead Cells for some examples) but none of them are getting into my mind the way the souls games are, so if you will indulge with me I would like to talk about them for a spell and also do a bit of a trip report of DS2.

OK, So I beat Bloodborne and it was wonderful and my game of the year and I craved more. It was a glorious moment for me because I felt a sense of accomplishment that not many games have given me. I always feel good about beating a game, but most of the ones I have beaten it felt more like an inevitability. Bloodborne was the first game I played where it was more a good struggle with myself as a person playing the game. I was responsible for the win/lose conditions and I had to apply myself and remember how the game had taught me the tricks to finish it.

No other game in my top 30 had that sense of weighted feel to finishing it and sitting back and seeing those credits was definitely a kind of joy that made me want more.

So I started Dark Souls pretty soon after and played a chunk before a few other things got in my way (the GOTY thread and some personal events) of playing it and I stopped for a few months.

I was definitely enjoying Dark Souls but going from BB to DS was tougher than I thought I would realise. My two months or so break lead to me setting up a schedule for playing and last week on Tuesday I beat Dark Souls.

I felt that same feeling I felt when I finished Bloodborne. I felt it most when beating Artorias but the whole night was a win of cleaning up some tough enemies and finishing my adventures in Lordran.

My current adventures in Drangleic are just as much fun, if not more fun, and I have been thinking about the way these two games are.

First off the slower combat is incredibly satisfying. The timing even more so. I never really had to think about the process of how to approach and how to swing before these two games. Yes, BB has great combat, but it is the speedy kind that I love (plus the parry rally fun times that make it far more forgiving.) Bloodborne combat is much, much easier despite being equally as rewarding. DS combat makes me properly think, and laugh when I start getting into my head, about when I need to start my attacks. I whiff constantly but it is my own fault for misjudging distances. And once I swing I am committed to all the fallout that then occurs. (Pursuer!!!!!)

Having a breather has made me appreciate this a TON more than diving straight from BB to DS. These two months really helped me out and the back half of my DS1 playthrough from Giant Tombs to the Painted World, to Demons Ruins Lost Izalith to Lost Oolacile has been much, much more fun than everything that came before it.

I actually think Demons Ruins/Lost Izalith is my favourite area of the whole first game, followed closely by the painted world and then the ash beach under the hollow tree. The bed of chaos is one of those things for me that whips. Both figuratively with the Indiana Jones style dashing across falling floors and literally with those spindly hands. Artorias, as a boss, was a proto Ludwig kind of awesome - a legendary one on one fight between two people who should be on the same side tinged with the sadness of accidental corruption for the former myth.

Dark Souls is a great game and seeing the blueprints for the eventual successors so early makes me happy to keep with my quest. Of which Friday + Sunday I played 10 hours of Dark Souls 2 and have had so much fun that I want to talk about what I have got up to all the time.

All this is based on not having finished the game only having done: Majula, Goonies Bay, Bastille, a lot of Forest of Giants, some of Heide lake and a few other locales. If it goes off the rails in the back half then these thoughts will change and I will write more!

Majula's music is my second favourite of all the music in the souls games I have played. Only ahead of the Gwynn battle and behind the Gerhman battle. There are little differences here and there but they change the game without drastically changing it. Whoever said it was a few degree off is right, but I am not feeling it as a detriment.

The worst thing a sequel can be is a lazy remake of the same stuff just to cash in. I am not getting any of that from DS2. It is doing its own thing and it is not scared to do so. I appreciate that and respect it. It would have been easy to make an expansion pack based on how much everyone loves the first. I have to give credit for it going its own way.

The combat is slightly different but I have really gotten into it, moreso than I did with DS1. It might be the better rolling, it might be that the mace was fun, or it might be that my great club +6 has even more of a power to it in this game but I am enjoying the new dances I am doing with enemies. (Dogs are still the biggest pain in the world!)

Parrying feels WAY better and looks even cooler. People falling backwards and giving you time is a lot like the staggering in Bloodborne and it seems to work well.

Visually it is a treat. Looking over Majula bay with Esmerelda is stunning and that water looks almost real. I get this weird feeling of loneliness that feels more tangible than in DS1. In DS1 there was the occasional still cognizant npc I could talk to, but otherwise they were disconnected.

Something about DS2 makes this loneliness feel more oppressive than before. Majula conveys a more lived in kind of area than Firelink shrine and as such, it dying is more of a loss. It might be the effect of the music along with the way Esmerelda looks out towards the horizon, but the atmosphere is laden with this hollow sense of loss.

The story has definitely started with a similar premise but I will write more about that once I have made more progress but currently I am just as intrigued as I was with DS1.

Currently I stoked. I have faced off about 5 bosses and one important one (who I feel I cheesed a bit by having an npc shade and summon with me) but I have also battled the Mr. X of DS2 a number of times so it evens it out.

This game rocks and I am glad I dove straight into it. If it continues to impress and be as fun as it is, I might prefer it to DS1. I am not sure yet but if I was to judge them side by side at this moment, DS2 wins.

We shall see...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

There's honestly no lore behind it it's one of the more arbitrary things in the game. Cleric beast lets you get the item to open the big gate in cathedral ward from the front side so you can reach Amelia that way. Alternatively BSB causes the door in the chapel to open (with no satisfactory explanation other than "I guess the bag men were scared of the BSB and now they came out and opened that door maybe") that lets you loop around and open the gate from behind.

Still, Cleric is "more" optional as not killing BSB means you can't access the areas that can only be reached through the chapel door.

E: VG you're gonna confuse people if you carry over calling her Esmerelda with your posts with no explanation lmao

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My biggest gripe with DS2 is how the right stick controls. It’s not laggy but it’s like... kinda sticky? There’s a larger dead zone before any movements, or it stops moving well before the stick is in the neutral position. It makes it feel like it’s not responsive or laggy.

I haven’t played it in a while so maybe it’s changed or there’s an option I missed or something.

I also played DS3 before DS2 and DS3 controls smooth asfffffff

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

E: VG you're gonna confuse people if you carry over calling her Esmerelda with your posts with no explanation lmao

Oh no I got the name wrong again. Emerald. The lady in Majula who levels you up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The main thing to remember is that it's "The Emerald Herald" as in it's a title, not a name.

She may have a name too but :ssh:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

The main thing to remember is that it's "The Emerald Herald" as in it's a title, not a name.

She may have a name too but :ssh:

:aaa: More lore to discover? :D

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bust Rodd posted:

I noticed that too after I platinumed the game. Impressive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Time to watch four hour lore analysis videos

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine Tim Rogers and Vaatyi teamed up for a video :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Great post VG. Its going to be great to see your review of DS3 cause there is a re-tread of DS1 but in such a satisfying way.

I found the tower of Fallgrim, and two more shells. Feeling a bit better now about what I'm doing. Gotta learn how to Parry now, the window seems small.