Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Throatwarbler posted: posted:

Appreciate your side of the story.

Speaking of Syria, I think the country is being effectively partitioned.

You see, after the cold war, there is basically no more partitioning or redrawing of the world map because it upset too much of the geopolitical balance and the 5 mafia family in the UNSC won't allow it. However, I think there is a new trend of effective partitioning of certain countries (that in all honesty, have had bad national borders from the start thanks to the British legacy) without getting it official nation state. Like in Syria, the US is supporting the Kurds and they are using the dollar in their own region, and frankly, US's oil interest is mainly in the Kurdish region in Iraq;Turkey is dreaming her own Ottoman revival dream and cut out a portion of Syria near her own border. I heard even the electric grid is being integrated to the Turkish system.

I read into the Myanmar history recently, which again has had bad artificial borderline thanks to the British. I found that the 2 pro-China autonomous regions are very intergrated to the Chinese ecosystem (currency, cell tower, some of the border schools and alot of the economic activities) It's the Kachin and other I can never remember its name. Anyway Beijing would never allow them to declare independent and host a referendence a la what Russia did in Crimea and Georgia, because it will step on too many redlines on the Taiwan issue,. However, economically and militarily, these regions are very much their own world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
when the british empire draws lines they are sacred and must be maintained for all time :colbert:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
confound their politics
frustrate their knavish tricks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I just remembered a few years ago how Turkish fascists in Istanbul started attacking Chinese restaurants. those attacks eventually stopped because it usually ended with them beating the restaurant workers, practically all of whom were from Xinjiang, because anyone with epicanthic folds looks like a Chinaman to the idiot eye

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-turkey-idUSKCN0PF08L20150705

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/13/polar-bear-hotel-in-china-draws-guests-and-criticism

quote:

‘Polar bear hotel’ in China draws guests and criticism

The Polar Bear Hotel, part of the Harbin Polarland theme park in Heilongjiang’s capital and largest city, Harbin, opened its doors on Friday with the promise of round-the-clock polar bear viewing from all 21 guest rooms. “Whether you’re eating, playing or sleeping, polar bears will keep you company,” Harbin Polarland’s official WeChat account said in a post dated Thursday.

Photos and videos from Chinese state media showed people watching two polar bears in an indoor enclosure featuring artificial ice and small pools of water.

photos of the place are pretty depressing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
If Xinjiang is one of the only things USA & Turkey can agree on these days Im pretty sure just about anything could be done to escalate the situation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this was from Seymour Hersh in 2016

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

was this guy full of poo poo or what

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I guess no worries about the Ides of March this year.

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
I don't think I've seen anyone touch on the potential internal racist blowback of repeating anti-chinese propaganda. I guess we can only hope people are as committed to speaking against anti-asian racism in the US as they are regarding state department talking points.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol we just need more wolf warriors and Twitter posters like chen weihua to push the needle in the online posting wars

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LittleBlackCloud posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone touch on the potential internal racist blowback of repeating anti-chinese propaganda. I guess we can only hope people are as committed to speaking against anti-asian racism in the US as they are regarding state department talking points.

You mean internal blowback as in ethnic Chinese living in the US/Australia? Do subs like r/genzedong r/aznidentity count? I don't go on those subs but my impression is most of the users are ABC/2nd gen?

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

stephenthinkpad posted:

You mean internal blowback as in ethnic Chinese living in the US/Australia? Do subs like r/genzedong r/aznidentity count? I don't go on those subs but my impression is most of the users are ABC/2nd gen?

I mean the rise of anti-asian sentiment in US/NATO countries.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

LittleBlackCloud posted:

well biden just scolded against anti-asian violence and oppression and that harkens back to the days of george bush jr doing the same for muslims and let me do the checks notes meme to see how well that went

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

I just remembered a few years ago how Turkish fascists in Istanbul started attacking Chinese restaurants. those attacks eventually stopped because it usually ended with them beating the restaurant workers, practically all of whom were from Xinjiang, because anyone with epicanthic folds looks like a Chinaman to the idiot eye

https://twitter.com/kyawwin78/status/1370357839525466113

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There has been rise of anti Asian violence happened in the last 2 months. Even my company's Asian association did a thing rally against the hate crimes.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

There's a good chance the ancestors of these guys looked like that too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/julianku/status/1371175554662207488

ok

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1371432897291427846?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

A sign of weakness, clearly. Xi is growing increasingly isolated and he must do this to save face.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the next six months will be critical

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Chamale posted:

Is there anything worthwhile an American citizen can do out of concern for human rights in Xinjiang, or is that well entirely poisoned? I know that sanctions or a trade war aren't the answer, considering how disastrous US sanctions always are for poor people in the targeted countries.

I would, and have, paid more for the same product of the same quality if it was made in China. The biggest part of my discretionary spending is in clothing - I enjoy well made suits, ties, etc but for the most part Italian made items are cheaper and better than Chinese made ones. Hopefully some of them are just made by Chinese owned factories and workers.

It's obviously not feasible right now with covid, but if you ever have some time off you should visit Xinjiang. Tourism is a big industry especially in the Uygur areas, and it's generally pretty safe and not particularly expensive other than actually getting there, so it would be a direct benefit to the region and the people if you go and buy/eat/lodge there. I assume you're in the US which makes the travel times a bit tedious, but the Gulf carriers (Emirates/Qatar, maybe Etihad too?) all fly directly to Urumuqi from Dubai/Doha which makes it a nice destination or Europeans.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MarkLGoldberg/status/1371203331499130880

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmvxeShO2Q

transcript:

https://theanalysis.news/interviews/bidens-china-policy-a-more-polite-trump-amb-chas-freeman/

quote:

Paul Jay

How much do you think that the need for an existential threat, be it Russian or Chinese, but now more Chinese, has to do with the American military-industrial complex, although there’s a Chinese military-industrial complex? I saw somewhere that of the 15 largest arms manufacturers in the world five are now Chinese. So it’s not just the American arms business that helps drive these policies. How much does that factor into all of this?

Chas Freeman

I think it’s an important factor on several levels. One is psychological. When the Cold War ended, the Soviet Union did something terribly irresponsible. Ceased to be our enemy. That gave rise to what I call enemy deprivation syndrome, which is the sick feeling you have when there’s no obvious place to point your guns and no obvious justification for your defense industries to continue grinding out ever more expensive and efficient ways to kill people. So that was a factor, and it was building for a while, starting really in the Clinton administration, which faced the world with no Soviet enemy for the first time, and it built during the Obama administration considerably.

Second, about 40 percent of American industrial production is tied up with our defense industry, and the cutting-edge science and technology research that has been done in the United States now is all, not all, but mostly very closely connected to funding by the Defense Department. So this is a factor. And then finally I note that as a former diplomat I don’t have any objections to the use of force when it’s appropriate, when it has an obvious, attainable objective and when how to terminate the war you’ve begun as part of your original planning.

I don’t have any problem at all with that, but what I do have a problem is the billions of dollars that have been spent to develop doctrines of coercion in American universities, international relations theory, IR theory as it’s called. It’s almost entirely funded by the Defense Department and it’s almost entirely coercive, doesn’t ever appear to have occurred to anyone that just as in normal life, you can often get what you want by reason with another [inaudible] or by incentives or by ingratiating yourself with them so they feel that it would be right to do you a favor.

These things have not been explored academically. They’re regarded as wishy-washy, and so diplomacy has become for the United States in many ways the interval before you send in the Marines.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Mar 15, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

it would be illegal for texas to do that because america doesn't have an official language

Are you american? I don't know how you don't know that education is a state's right so the feds have no say in it, and like 30 states have english as an official language. several states have passed english only education laws

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

Are you american? I don't know how you don't know that education is a state's right so the feds have no say in it, and like 30 states have english as an official language. several states have passed english only education laws

excuse me. that’s whataboutism

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if this is a one off or if the nationalists are feeling emboldened

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A few Chinese have said that Xi will do it in his last term (his third term or heaven forbid, his fourth term).

Apparently the US diplomatic blob don't believe there is an election process involved to select the next CCP leader and never pay attention to any non Western system.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if this is a one off or if the nationalists are feeling emboldened

I think they're betting on being able to do it around March 2024

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
really dont know why these morons think china is going to press the issue on taiwan when they already hold all the cards there. oh wait yeah i do know why

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:thunk:
what would you rather have geopolitical influence over 3 continents or a flying turd......

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Muscle Wizard posted:

really dont know why these morons think china is going to press the issue on taiwan when they already hold all the cards there. oh wait yeah i do know why

There is a lot riding on the PLA conducting a Normandy style invasion for some reason and getting blown up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe they are simply anticipating that the USA will collapse in the next 4 years and taiwan will ask for assistance. lao tzu teaches not to force things, the Dao will provide all opportunities if you wait

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Muscle Wizard posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that they've said they'll defend Taiwan if they declare independence, but that's not going to happen anytime soon precisely because it would trigger WW3.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
iirc taiwan is completely reliant on energy imports just to keep the lights on, so without the backing of the us navy all that the prc would have to do is enforce a blockade in case of an armed conflict and that's that

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Mar 15, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Rutibex posted:

:thunk:
what would you rather have geopolitical influence over 3 continents or a flying turd......

otoh, it’s pretty amazing how fast OBOR fell apart, enthusiasm about it on the Asian end and European end has just dissipated.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1371523814501277698

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If anything with the new EU trade agreement and RCEP still to be ratified), the PRC has been clocking pretty solid victories in terms of trade. I would say the thing that changed with OBOR, is that India dropped out and there has been a move toward more multilateral and commercial funding.

That said, a country by country analysis of Chinese trade and investment would be interesting.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Mar 16, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

shrike82 posted:

lol at talking about chinese beer, drink some maotai

bottle looks like it contains mouthwash. no thankyou

thatfatkid posted:

Significantly improving the material conditions and quality of life of the populace of Xinjiang is abuse now?

ignoring all the implied assertions in this post, if they don't want their quality of life improved, then yeah probably

gradenko_2000 posted:

this was from Seymour Hersh in 2016

I agree with Lin's conclusions but I don't see how doing forced reeducation of people who aren't (or aren't likely to become) jihadis helps the situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Muscle Wizard posted:

weird how you went from 'doing a genocide' to 'abusing people' huh

and in a couple of days when this is forgotten he'll go back to "genocide", classic motte-and-bailey

fart simpson posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912640&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=270#post512365517

this post got the guy banned but several other people over the following pages were agreeing with this guy, and later a mod came in and offered to unban the guy if he apologized because he’s a good poster

lol

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

diplomacy has become for the United States in many ways the interval before you send in the Marines.

this is a great line