Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Nichael posted:

The majority of the Summer 2020 protests were doomed to accomplish nothing

excuse me, my city had six street murals painted, and yet you call that nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

This is the last time we will hear about them until 2024

unless you're listening to fox news (why???) in which case it's all you're going to hear about for the next 3 years

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm surprised that they don't argue that a white guy having an "ethnic" wife is cultural appropriation.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

i know you think you're being snarky and funny with this but garbage posts like this show how many "leftists" have never met a black person in their lives ever. tons of doctors are racist as gently caress and don't give proper care to non-white people for racist reasons. so yeah it's great that single payer will take away the money aspect of health care but if a racist doctor minimizes or ignores the pain of a black person and doesn't properly treat them then it's the same thing as not getting any acre at all

this is true, but it doesn't really invalidate the need for universal healthcare. it just emphasizes that it's not the only thing that needs to be done, and to truly tackle racism, the country needs to be willing to take massive economic and cultural steps forward. we also need leftist politicians who are willing to advocate for universal programs, while also fighting for legislation that address the massive gulf in equality that exists, through things like reparations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

i know you think you're being snarky and funny with this but garbage posts like this show how many "leftists" have never met a black person in their lives ever. tons of doctors are racist as gently caress and don't give proper care to non-white people for racist reasons. so yeah it's great that single payer will take away the money aspect of health care but if a racist doctor minimizes or ignores the pain of a black person and doesn't properly treat them then it's the same thing as not getting any acre at all

Making every individual doctor on Earth not racist will take decades, and if we make single-payer contingent on this unattainable goal millions of BIPOC will be driven into crippling debt if they dare try to take advantage of the doctor's sensitivity training the entire time we try to make it happen

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
seen people attack helsing too. poo poo's so weird.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ytlaya posted:

I'm amused at someone who I saw complaining about Majorian, who is probably the most inoffensive poster imaginable.

no he's actually our puppet IK as seen by all the permas i've had him queue up for my posting enemies

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

oh

lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

a great way to get not racist doctors would be free education for college and medical school, so you actually have poor people, particularly poor black people, becoming doctors.

it's laughable that higher education institutions think they can stop racism through seminars or trainings, without dealing with the fact that poor people of color can't even loving attend.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lansdowne posted:

excuse me, my city had six street murals painted, and yet you call that nothing.

I once had someone tell me that CHOP was text-book domestic terrorism

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nichael posted:

this is true, but it doesn't really invalidate the need for universal healthcare. it just emphasizes that it's not the only thing that needs to be done, and to truly tackle racism, the country needs to be willing to take massive economic and cultural steps forward. we also need leftist politicians who are willing to advocate for universal programs, while also fighting for legislation that address the massive gulf in equality that exists, through things like reparations.

^^^ p much this

"but <x universal program> won't end racism!!!" yeah no poo poo! The people making that argument never seem to be able to come up with a solution that WILL end racism that doesn't involve doing nothing for decades while we increase representation on hospital boards of directors or whatever bullshit. Fix the healthcare system first so people aren't driven into crippling medical debt while we work on it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

^^^ p much this

"but <x universal program> won't end racism!!!" yeah no poo poo! The people making that argument never seem to be able to come up with a solution that WILL end racism that doesn't involve doing nothing for decades while we increase representation on hospital boards of directors or whatever bullshit. Fix the healthcare system first so people aren't driven into crippling medical debt while we work on it.

it doesn't even have to be "first". a functioning government would do these things concurrently. pass reparations, make college and other higher education free, and make healthcare universal. what's stopping the dems from doing this?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nichael posted:

it doesn't even have to be "first". a functioning government would do these things concurrently. pass reparations, make college and other higher education free, and make healthcare universal. what's stopping the dems from doing this?

the dems

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

So any thoughts about the Democrats proposed tax increases?

Top marginal corporate tax rate was 38.6% (iirc) in 2016. Trump lowered it to 21%, Biden is proposing putting up to 28%, but may not actually.

There's a lesson in this, if your brain works.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lansdowne posted:

another massive issue with the protests of summer 2020 (at least around me) was they didn't actually go to places where people in power lived. the power structures don't give a poo poo if you march in poor neighborhoods, they'll just put up a mural and call it a day (if you're lucky and they don't murder some black kids).

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shipon posted:

all these white nationalist groypers should learn how to just cloak their rhetoric in woke language because hot drat does this tweet just translate into "race mixing is bad"

there is an alarming amount of social politics these days that essentially boils down to this, i'm not really surprised

i've been told that frequenting businesses owned by people of color is racist because it reduces product availability to the :airquote: "intended audience" and causes the store to tailor it's stock towards :airquote: "white products"'

there's always a half-formed correct idea here - that integration and acceptance comes with a loss of cultural identity and the displacement of people who value their cultural identity - but the conclusion (gently caress traditionalism, always) is hard to easily reach with the current established social rules, and we can't just point out that Uncle Roger would be a white supremacist if he was a white guy getting this far up his rear end about cornbread

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Mar 15, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nichael posted:

another massive issue with the protests of summer 2020 (at least around me) was they didn't actually go to places where people in power lived. the power structures don't give a poo poo if you march in poor neighborhoods, they'll just put up a mural and call it a day (if you're lucky and they don't murder some black kids).

it is impressive how the entire language and conception of protesting has been massaged into revolving entirely around parades.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pigz posted:

D&D as a forum was never meant to be a place where you get to mindlessly scream and complain about things you don't like, and get pissy when people who know more than you explain to you that the solutions aren't as simple or easy as you think. When someone asks "why hasn't Biden closed the concentration camps yet", and another poster explains at length why doing so is complicated, and the response is "haha lol look at the concentration camp apologist"... that's not "disagreement", it's just high school level idiocy. And banning those users from the forum would not take away from it one it — in fact, it would improve the space considerably.

This is a good example of the sort of cargo-cult intellectualism these people subscribe to.

There are a lot of underlying beliefs to these sorts of opinions that the people in question are completely oblivious to. For example, in the case of the post you quoted, there's an unstated assumption that "you should assume Democrats in power are doing the best they can, absent hard proof otherwise" (and in this case "hard proof" is inherently impossible because they wouldn't accept anything short of "the Democrats actually doing the thing in question" - in other words, they believe that "the Democrats not doing something" is inherently proof that the thing in question isn't practical/possible).

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Nichael posted:

a great way to get not racist doctors would be free education for college and medical school, so you actually have poor people, particularly poor black people, becoming doctors.

it's laughable that higher education institutions think they can stop racism through seminars or trainings, without dealing with the fact that poor people of color can't even loving attend.

sensitivity training is self help for libs where instead of saying "you have value" into a mirror they say "you're not racist"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

bedpan posted:

it is impressive how the entire language and conception of protesting has been massaged into revolving entirely around parades.

Yeah, exactly. I even remarked to a friend at one of the June protests that it was more like a replacement for the various cancelled Summer festivals Wilmington has, than an actual demonstration.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Elephant Ambush posted:

Okay then tell us why M4A or some equivalent shouldn't happen, it's what you actually want to talk about so go ahead

lol at telling folks doctors are racist as hell like it's news, this isn't the other forum

loquacius posted:

Making every individual doctor on Earth not racist will take decades, and if we make single-payer contingent on this unattainable goal millions of BIPOC will be driven into crippling debt if they dare try to take advantage of the doctor's sensitivity training the entire time we try to make it happen

good news, that's a feature not a bug

Deified Data has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Mar 15, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

witchy posted:

sensitivity training is self help for libs where instead of saying "you have value" into a mirror they say "you're not racist"

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1341037943771770881

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

witchy posted:

I wonder how much time a neoliberal hellhole institution like the University of Delaware puts into explaining microaggressions to its students (who are largely white, wealthy, and from NJ or NY), while carefully never bringing up that the 12th blackest city in America is ten minutes away, and most of its population can't loving afford the in-state college's tuition.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

what blows my mind about the chronic libs is that they can't conceive of operating from first principles like "everyone should have health care" or "we should not have concentration camps" and working back to figure out how to get there by whatever means, even if it's costly or difficult. they instead can only look at the situation as it exists and consider, within a narrow framework and moving at a horrifyingly slow rate and with ample consideration of how to operate with respect for political viewpoints that include "nobody should have health care" and "all immigrants should die in concentration camps", how we can make a small step forward towards increasing the number of people with health care and reducing the population in concentration camps

meanwhile, the number of people with health care actually goes down and the number of people in concentration camps actually goes up

and the chronic lib says "what do you want us to do, just toss 'em all out into the desert?!?"

Eh, it's more that they just start from the assumption that "the Democrats are good and doing their best" and then interpret political events through that assumption. So with the concentration camps, their mindset is "is there a way to interpret this that doesn't involve the Democratic Party being bad?"

They believe that this is obvious and that viewing things from any other perspective is being bizarrely cynical.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

bedpan posted:

Berine Panders didn't endorse many people running as progressives or leftists during the 2020 cycle, but you know who he did endorse? Cenk Uygur

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nichael posted:

I wonder how much time a neoliberal hellhole institution like the University of Delaware puts into explaining microaggressions to its students (who are largely white, wealthy, and from NJ or NY), while carefully never bringing up that the 12th blackest city in America is ten minutes away, and most of its population can't loving afford the in-state college's tuition.

i would bet the average universty of delaware student is probably also unaware that the state they go to college in shelters enough corporate tax dollars to solve poverty a hundred times over

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

I haven't seen the show, but I gather that's the dark-haired, sassy, possibly gay man who's in a lot of reaction gifs? because they make me really not want to watch it

yeah except he's pan

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Elephant Ambush posted:

yeah you're right, I've never met a black person nor have I ever met a racist doctor. we should definitely continue to grind poor people under medical debt.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fellatio del Toro posted:

yeah except he's pan

well what's important is that his voice and mannerisms are coded explicitly enough for it to come across in a ten second clip with or without sound

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
can someone from D&D pop in here and explain why it's racist for leftists to want to free universal college as well

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

my bony fealty posted:

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now and assume that she's just being savvy by parroting the bullshit party line because that lip service is required to have any shot in the primary

...you'd think I'd know better by now but I just wanna have a little hope that the football won't be pulled away this time :smith:

This is fair, imo. She is certainly sanding-down the rough edges of leftist rhetoric due to the actual demos of the district, and the background of her opponent (there is 1 real opponent, and like 5 spoilers that will only hurt Nina). This is a district that is FILLED with Biden/Harris/Clyburn machine-politics-is-good true believers. She could go flamethrower on establishment views, and we'd all enjoy it, but it will only lead to her getting 20% of the vote and us getting another true SuccLib lifer (Shontel Brown) in office.

Also, child poverty in OH-11 district specifically, is incredibly out of control and likely one of the worst districts in the country on that front.

Much like AOC/Rashida/Cori/Ilhan - she would be just about the best candidate that could come out of our poo poo-system, so she'd be better than the alternative, but also will not offer power and pathway to getting M4A in like, 2 years. Sorry. But you should still cheer for her over the opponents

(though nothing matters and electoralism is dead so who cares.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

can someone from D&D pop in here and explain why it's racist for leftists to want to free universal college as well

i think it’s that they believe a universal program will “equally uplift “ everyone and do nothing to reduce inequality, it simply changes the “level” like it’s setting the gain on an equalizer or something. this is clearly wrong for a number of reasons but it makes some intuitive sense

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is true but what does it loving have to do with single payer health care?

You are taking two issues that are linked by a very thin thread and tying them together. "Some doctors are racist" is not a reason to hijack the entire conversation about healthcare, it's not like we aren't already talking about racism and trying to address racism, so it just becomes a stupid diversionary tactic, which maybe wouldn't be so stupid if it didn't come up whenever we tried to do something useful for literally anyone

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Nichael posted:

Chicago created a Green Zone around downtown because the first day of mass protests resulted in the upscale shopping district getting trashed.

After the downtown was isolated, unrest moved to most Black neighborhoods, but the cops made sure it was non-political. Protests were immediately broken up by riot cops throughout the city, but looting of small business was allowed.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

you know who goes to college? fratboys go to college

that's right

next issue please

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

As opposed to means tested free college , free universal college will put for a lot more rich white kids to go to college.

The only difference between means tested and not is more rich white people can get a kickback if it isn’t means tested.

Shocker which one the Bernie Bros support.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
universal healthcare and tear down racism = hell yes
universal healthcare? but tear down racism! = nah

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, it's more that they just start from the assumption that "the Democrats are good and doing their best" and then interpret political events through that assumption. So with the concentration camps, their mindset is "is there a way to interpret this that doesn't involve the Democratic Party being bad?"

They believe that this is obvious and that viewing things from any other perspective is being bizarrely cynical.

A ton of the concentration camp apologists have also complained about the moderate wing of the party so this is an oversimplification and it's not just mindless partisanship, they're bought into the politics of incrementalism as an inherent necessity and don't recognize that it is an excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

A ton of the concentration camp apologists have also complained about the moderate wing of the party so this is an oversimplification and it's not just mindless partisanship, they're bought into the politics of incrementalism as an inherent necessity and don't recognize that it is an excuse

disco elysium has the best portrayal of incrementalists in any media in all time