Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You had to be the BIG MAN!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

What's up, fellow crazy, mean, dead, manipulative mom haver?

My mom was bipolar, suicidal (5 attempts), incredibly passive aggressive and seemed to get worse as she aged despite a ton of medication, treatment, therapy and people legit trying to help and be nice to her. I'm scarred to this day over it, realize more and more poo poo from my childhood that's made me broken and probably will stay damaged for the rest of my life from a lot of her poo poo but she never tried to have me whacked either.

So she had that going for her.

Some of the poo poo I feel when I re-watch the early episodes has a similar effect on me though, much like you described, and the macaroon scene really lands in the way that Livia went out of her loving way there to make a nice thing, a peace offering and a kind gesture into a net negative, steering the whole thing into some kind of attack or a weird persecution angle.

iktfb

once after my parents were divorced my dad thought he would do a nice thing and bring a Christmas tree over to mom's house and we could all decorate it together, my parents, me and my sister. long story short that all ended with her shrieking at the top of her lungs about how we were all out to get her, her throwing and breaking poo poo, total pandemonium. ah well, c'est la vie.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

You don't listen to the president? We're gonna mop the floor with the whole fuckin' world; the whole world's gonna be under our control, so what are worked up about?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"We're with the Vipers!"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"You sent me to Mar-a-Lago so you could gently caress my girlfriend!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

banned from Starbucks posted:

"You sent me to Mar-a-Lago so you could gently caress my girlfriend!"

No, the guy in the picture is Michael Imperioli, not Jared Kushner.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

uber_stoat posted:

once after my parents were divorced my dad thought he would do a nice thing and bring a Christmas tree over to mom's house and we could all decorate it together, my parents, me and my sister. long story short that all ended with her shrieking at the top of her lungs about how we were all out to get her, her throwing and breaking poo poo, total pandemonium. ah well, c'est la vie.

How did the tree turn out?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

"Can I get some black-eyed peas? Hell, I know what time it is."

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

One thing I never understood was how quickly the writers managed to put together a good story for Season 3 after Nancy Marchand's death. If I have the dates right, there was an 8 or 9 month period between her passing away and S3 airing on TV. That seems like a highly unusual crunch time to start rewriting (plus there's filming the scenes) but I never get the sense that it was a disaster-averted for the show.

I don't recall the show's quality dipping much (until Season 6, really).

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

How did the tree turn out?

i left with my dad after my mom pitched a fit and I think she ended up throwing the tree out with the garbage. :lol:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

One thing I never understood was how quickly the writers managed to put together a good story for Season 3 after Nancy Marchand's death. If I have the dates right, there was an 8 or 9 month period between her passing away and S3 airing on TV. That seems like a highly unusual crunch time to start rewriting (plus there's filming the scenes) but I never get the sense that it was a disaster-averted for the show.

I don't recall the show's quality dipping much (until Season 6, really).

I imagine it was a mad panic to get the first few episodes written and done well, then a concerted focus on the rest of the season as a story. Jackie Jr doesn't show up until episode 4 and introducing Ralphie was their 'credible threat' to Tony like Ritchie was in season 2.

It also seems like one of the best episodes of the series, Pine Barrens, could've been written to take place at any time during the series. It's mostly just the Chrissy and Paulie adventures as Tony is in the background spinning his wheels in life.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

i left with my dad after my mom pitched a fit and I think she ended up throwing the tree out with the garbage. :lol:

FUCKIN queers!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Mix it wit da relish.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/1370201159760191490?s=20

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

uber_stoat posted:

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1087202620073172992

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

pentyne posted:

I imagine it was a mad panic to get the first few episodes written and done well, then a concerted focus on the rest of the season as a story. Jackie Jr doesn't show up until episode 4 and introducing Ralphie was their 'credible threat' to Tony like Ritchie was in season 2.

Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood certainly feels like it was a,"Oh poo poo oh gently caress what do we do now gently caress.... FUCCCCK!" situation in the Writer's Room.

This is a special-made psychological video, you're not tricking me :smug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood certainly feels like it was a,"Oh poo poo oh gently caress what do we do now gently caress.... FUCCCCK!" situation in the Writer's Room.

It did give us that great Peter Gunn Theme/Every Breath You Take mashup.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9tbMSQLRr4

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Awkonaut/status/1370841548410122241

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who’s the guy with the sunglasses next to Batman? And is that someone standing behind Paulie or is that just a part of the pillar?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Who’s the guy with the sunglasses next to Batman? And is that someone standing behind Paulie or is that just a part of the pillar?

That's me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ruddiger posted:

Conor McGregor, maybe?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Something I’ve always wondered is how serious Tony was about “Exile on Main Street” with Bobby. We never find out because I believe Bobby is killed later that same day, so do you think Tony was just saying it to gently caress with Janice or do you think he was actually going to remove Bobby from his position because he felt sorry for Junior?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ruddiger posted:

It is a very constipated looking Conor McGregor.

I think maybe the Paulie thing is supposed to a reflection in a mirror something?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Something I’ve always wondered is how serious Tony was about “Exile on Main Street” with Bobby. We never find out because I believe Bobby is killed later that same day, so do you think Tony was just saying it to gently caress with Janice or do you think he was actually going to remove Bobby from his position because he felt sorry for Junior?

Bobby had become pretty clutch for Tony by that point (Tony being really short on true top guys by then) and while I don't think that would necessarily prevent him from being clipped, I honestly think it's probably the former.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Great moment for Meadow at the end of S2 episode 3 (Toodle-loving-Oo) as she scrubs the floor of the house. It shows that she is different from most characters in the show and has a conscience.

This ties somewhat into the inclusion of Barbara, Tony's other sister, who we know next to nothing about in the series - perhaps because she is "normal". This is important because it dismisses a deterministic idea about family genes. At least that's how I see it.

Shout-out to the scene in an earlier episode where Janice ("Vishnu come-lately") imagines Livia's face on the stair danger sign. That was a great touch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Was listening to the Talkin Sopranos podcast and they covered the Pie O My/Ralphie Gets Murdered episode and it reminded me that I always thought it was excellent writing how the show never definitively states whether or not Ralph actually killed the horse. I mean, it's certainly implied and Ralph is definitely enough of an rear end in a top hat to do it but we're never given anything conclusive. Yet we see him murder Tracy.

Joey Pants plays that scene in the kitchen really well since you can't really tell if he's lying or not.

I think popular opinion is that Ralph did it but I'm curious how others view it. It'd be ironic if the thing that finally got Ralphie clipped was something that he actually didn't do and that was also exacerbated by Tony muscling in on ownership of Pie O My in the first place.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ralphie never really hid how much of a psychotic rear end in a top hat he was and was pretty up front about things he did even if he needed some prodding. Sure he knew to hide it from Rosalie, Carmela, etc, but he was usually pretty honest with Tony. Also, Ralphie, after saying “I did not...but so what?!” goes ahead and points out Tony’s hypocrisy and then calls him fat with “What are you, a vegetarian? You eat beef and sausage by the loving carload-“ I feel like if he was willing to say all that, knowing it would provoke Tony again, he would also have admitted the fire.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
"I didn't do it... but so what if I did?" is a classic dead giveaway, same as when Tony warned Ralphie to not apologize to Johnny Sack for not insulting Ginny. Tony, Johnny Sack, and David Chase all know this, it only seems like a good idea when you're the one caught in the lie. Any other show would have the actors "stage lying" with lots of stammering and "uhh"s and "umm"s.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, my read was that Ralphie did it (racehorse insurance?). Just as Tony's mood disorder - whatever it is - makes him only able to trust and feel tenderness towards small children and animals, Ralphie seemed like more of a sadomasochist of some kind. Sadism is often linked with people who enjoy torturing animals when they are young, so Ralphie's attitude towards them ("Don't be shy with the whip") kinda indicates he doesn't mind hurting any living thing, be it a sick horse or pregnant woman.

Maybe the reason that fight was so impressive was that whoever won, a complete shithead was going to lose.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I always figured it was just Tony's paranoia flaring up. Another one of his pleasures was taken from him and he needed to direct his rage somewhere. Ralph prob would have lived through that had he not opened his mouth as much as he did.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just took it for granted that Ralph did it and was lying about it, since lying comes so naturally to everyone on this show. Even when you're backed into a corner, you gotta lie, it can't hurt (it probably saved Paulie's life on his boat ride with Tony)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Ralph killed that horse.

How do I know? Because he was Ralphie.

(That said, I'm in agreement that his "...but what if I did?" is the big giveaway. Given his personality and the tenor of the conversation, that's as close to an outright confession as he's willing to go. He's pushed to a breaking point with Tony and finally decides to call his bluff. Oops.)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Watching the podcast ep about University now, Tracee is almost unrecognizable in a good way. Those fake teeth/braces really did a number on her. And she's surprisingly insightful and a good listen considering she wound up quitting acting shortly after and became a yoga instructor

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
If Ralphie did it, his opening line would have been "Number one, she was a hooahse!"

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Ralph killed Pie-O-My and was lying about it.

Look at his responses after killing Tracee: "She slipped...she fell...she's a klutz...that's my story." Ralph put on the same kind of performance when confronted by Tony.

All these monsters are experts at lying, denial, cognitive dissonance.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

ProperCoochie posted:

Ralph killed Pie-O-My and was lying about it.
Let's hear Joey Pants himself:
https://youtu.be/3DHy4xOLucM?t=174

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"He's a scumbag, but hey, they're all scumbags." - David Chase

And people still don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've also been catching up on the Talking Sopranos podcast and it's really hit its stride with the season 3/4 stuff, I'm also just up to the Ralphie/Tony fight episode and the tangent about going to see a priest about not wanting to gently caress your wife was loving hilarious.