Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How the gently caress was he allowed to keep going after the first time? Did that guy fail out of iRacing rookies and decide to do it IRL instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Link worked, what the hell.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Saw that the other day, I hope whoever the hell that was has their competition license taken away and black listed from ever racing again. Stupid people like that ruin racing and cost others thousands of dollars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
also looks like he jumped the hell out of the start and was ignoring flags from the get-go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bIPDf-_yt8

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would have shat my pants after that start and avoided that guy at all costs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Here's the longer video that FB one was cut from (strangely, on my side the FB video has no audio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHwfvn_yeg

The orange car is clearly a fuckwit but that last wreck seems to be not entirely his fault. 88 locks up (conveniently edited out of the FB clip) diving into the corner. Edit: and 88 appears to have punted someone else off that was also edited out of the FB clip.

Also, that race is overall full of iRacing Rookies-grade fuckery.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

Here's the longer video that FB one was cut from (strangely, on my side the FB video has no audio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHwfvn_yeg

The orange car is clearly a fuckwit but that last wreck seems to be not entirely his fault. 88 locks up (conveniently edited out of the FB clip) diving into the corner. Edit: and 88 appears to have punted someone else off that was also edited out of the FB clip.

Also, that race is overall full of iRacing Rookies-grade fuckery.

Well I kinda disagree on the last one, whatever 88's issue in the braking zone is, there was still a shitton of room and the orange car had ample opportunity to not turn hard into 88.

The second incident should in any respect get him suspended from racing, what the gently caress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah, the orange car definitely turned in on him, but a lockup like that in that corner is going to go badly for everyone involved unless the outside car bails onto the escape road.

That straightaway accident is mind boggling.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

that video makes me never want to try club racing.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

that video makes me never want to try club racing.

:yeah:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
*clears throat*

spec pinata

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
:siren: ARMCHAIR RACING :siren:
Most amateur racing organizations have similar rules regarding passing: the car being overtaken can make 1 blocking maneuver before a turn, and the car being overtaken has to yield racing room to the overtaking car if the overtaking car is in a passing position (usually defined as a front wheel beside a door or front bumper beside a front wheel).

Looking at turn 9: orange car puts a block on 88 or at least maintains his line. 88 yields because he does not have a right to racing room because he is not in passing position

Turn 10: orange makes no blocking maneuver, 88 is in passing position, orange does not yield racing room

I think orange caused the last wreck even despite 88 divebombing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I agree with your assessment of what the door rule is for club racing (NASA/SCCA/etc.), but it's largely moot when the orange car's driver's situational awareness leaves a lot to be desired.

Real talk: when I saw the video initially, I was bracing for the camera car to get hit. I don't know how you can witness that guy singlehandedly take out 2 people and not come to the conclusion of "oh poo poo, im next".

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

camera car must have been compensating like crazy and compromising their race to stay out of the way

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know how SCCA assesses fault, but the last crash there would have been attributed to the white #88 car under NASA jurisdiction; the orange car would also have gotten a talking to. There was more than 3/4 car width (lol nasa) on the inside and the white car locked up into the side of the orange car.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 17, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Either way it's a very clear example of red mist. Both the orange car and the 88 made choices going into that corner that ensured neither one of them were going to get out cleanly, and 88 was probably mad about being back there with the orange car after punting someone else at the 1m mark by barely having a wheel inside them.

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know how SCCA assesses fault, but the last crash there would have been attributed to the white #88 car under NASA jurisdiction; the orange car would also have gotten a talking to. There was more than 3/4 car width (lol nasa) on the inside and the white car locked up into the side of the orange car.

poo poo, there's 3/4 of a car width inside the 88 and the curb when that wreck starts. Orange car was still trying to hit that apex anyway but the 88 wasn't going to be able to keep it on the track even if the orange car wasn't there.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I read the NASA rules and they have an example of this exact scenario.

quote:

Car B is attempting to pass Car A going into a left-hand corner. There is contact between the two cars at point 3. Car A has already turned in and is committed to the corner. Car B attempts a last-minute pass and ends up locking up all four wheels and sliding into the side of Car A. This is a collision resulting from poor judgment and overly aggressive driving on the part of the driver of Car B.
OOPS! Look how wrong I am.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

According to people on the formula car forums the driver has been petitioned on the national level with videos from multiple cars as supporting evidence. Should be a pretty quick case given how many views the videos have gotten and how bad it makes the class look.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How do people feel about SCCA HPDEs? They do WAY more events near me than NASA and are cheaper to boot.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

KillHour posted:

How do people feel about SCCA HPDEs? They do WAY more events near me than NASA and are cheaper to boot.
I did a few Track Night events on the west coast: there is no Novice program or anything as fast as HDPE4 in NASA, but either Intermediate or Advanced (which is just Intermediate but a little faster) seemed fine. They were also very sparsely attended, which was great as a participant but doesn't seem like a solid business plan.

COVID concerns make this a more even thing, but a classroom session and a couple laps bunched up behind a pace vehicle are not a Novice program I'd feel comfortable with.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

heffray posted:

I did a few Track Night events on the west coast: there is no Novice program or anything as fast as HDPE4 in NASA, but either Intermediate or Advanced (which is just Intermediate but a little faster) seemed fine. They were also very sparsely attended, which was great as a participant but doesn't seem like a solid business plan.

COVID concerns make this a more even thing, but a classroom session and a couple laps bunched up behind a pace vehicle are not a Novice program I'd feel comfortable with.

I've done HPDE 1 twice with NASA (and both times my instructor sent me out on my own for the second day), so I think I'd probably be fine* in the Intermediate class. Thanks.

*eyes his iRacing SR nervously

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm not sure if this link will work, but its from the SM race in Florida this past weekend, big wtf

https://www.facebook.com/SpecDrama/videos/449054073081807

Somebody posted this to a facebook group I'm in and I can't believe he didn't get black flagged, jesus.

This is brilliant

https://twitter.com/GoodwoodRRC/status/1364472629617299456?s=20

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 24, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

KillHour posted:

I think it depends on how the region treats it. I'd sign up for a day and be ready to bounce if it's full of future youtube celebrities.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I’d avoid anything that’s labeled as “charity laps” or the arrive and drive 45 minute newcomers welcome!!!! type stuff.

I know NASA’s is called Hyperdrive, I think SCCA’s was Track Nights?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phone posted:

I’d avoid anything that’s labeled as “charity laps” or the arrive and drive 45 minute newcomers welcome!!!! type stuff.

I know NASA’s is called Hyperdrive, I think SCCA’s was Track Nights?

Yeah, I'd be running full day intermediate stuff. Just want to make sure the drivers aren't all idiots and the marshals give a poo poo.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What tracks are you looking at? Local DE focused clubs are often better than NASA and I'd guess SCCA too. My worst HDPE experience was with NASA.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've had good experiences with some of the SoCal clubs, but our (AZ) other large local non-NASA org is an absolute dumpster fire.

I've heard some things about SCCA, but they were probably Track Night exclusive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pitt Race, mostly. I'll still go to NASA events when they have them, but they only do Pitt Race and Watkins Glenn once a year each. I really don't want to drive my RS all the way to Mid Ohio or NJMP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Someone new to our local track facebook group just posted "Which run group should I join I don't wanna be stuck in traffic"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Has anyone ever tracked an E36? or know about the parts availability for E36's? There's a relatively a clean one here in Austin and I'm debating selling my Miata and switching platforms. Mainly because I don't own the truck and trailer, I'm driving to events, of which I mainly do 6-12 a year, there's not a whole lot of storage for spare parts and tools in the Miata, and for some reason or another I can't bring myself to cut up the interior of my Miata to fit a race seat in for me. I figure at the very least I'll fit in an E36 and could bolt the seat to the floor without making any major chassis modifications.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/cedar-park-1992-bmw-325i/7285303245.html

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
At least here in northern Europe E36 are very popular track (and rally) cars. Fast too. Every kind of racing parts are easily available. There are "spec E36 325i" racing series as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

E36 is a very balanced and easy to drive platform, pretty reasonable consumable prices as well. If you're going to track it, especially on stickier tires do the rear subframe reinforcement mod.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Diametunim posted:

Has anyone ever tracked an E36? or know about the parts availability for E36's? There's a relatively a clean one here in Austin and I'm debating selling my Miata and switching platforms. Mainly because I don't own the truck and trailer, I'm driving to events, of which I mainly do 6-12 a year, there's not a whole lot of storage for spare parts and tools in the Miata, and for some reason or another I can't bring myself to cut up the interior of my Miata to fit a race seat in for me. I figure at the very least I'll fit in an E36 and could bolt the seat to the floor without making any major chassis modifications.

I track an E46 M3 (also in Austin :hf: ) and as I understand it the E30, E36 and E46 are all pretty dang popular for tracking. The earlier ones have less HP but are significantly lighter so it seems to sorta balance out.

Not sure about parts for the E36s in particular but I can't imagine its too bad, you see 3-series in junkyards everywhere. Course, if you're buying a used BMW you really gotta check the car out, who knows what condition it could be in and if its in bad condition then you could spend a bundle fixing it up.

Definitely get the subframe reinforced, and factor a couple grand into your budget for doing so.

60k original miles is pretty nice.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you want a clean street car that looks good, but $6k into a E36 non-M track car can get you something like this that just sold on RRAX.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...XN4V3FfVXN1RWVB

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Diametunim posted:

I used to run a '92 325i in Chumpcar and occasionally track my '97 M3. Parts availability is good as long as you're willing to wait on shipping, don't expect Autozone to have much. Aftermarket support is very strong for anything related to track/race goodies. There are several options for upgrading brakes and any brake compound you want is available. They make great track cars although the non-Ms need reinforcements welded to the unibody where the subframe bolts up. You should plan on dropping the subframe anyways to do the bushings. The M50B25NV motor in that car is very robust although it would be a good idea to drop the oil pan and tack the oil pump nut in place. They can back off with sustained high RPM use although I've never seen it happen. We beat the poo poo out of our 220k mile motor for probably 100 race hours without a hickup before I sold it.

e: That price does seem a little high

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm kind of struggling with the Miata, big surprise. The lap times are about 3 seconds a lap quicker than my S2000 was on 2 minute tracks, both being TT4 cars and on similar tires, but I can't drive the Miata nearly as consistently and precisely as I could the S2000.

The brakes feel soft into corners and ABS comes on stupid early so I end up braking early and carrying the brakes too long. I've played with the brake bias and moving it more rearward helped a bit. Too much made the car super out of shape trail braking into corners as I came off the brakes.
The car also feels like it has no front grip and wants to push from entry to mid corner so I hesitate getting back on throttle, which compounds with it being turbo even though it spools very quickly. In slower corners it can't put power down in 2nd or 3rd, so I usually end up leaving the car in 4th and just run 4-5 but I also can't really get the rotation out of the car in 4th.

By the end of my time with the S2000 I could trail brake the thing in with it rotating, get back on throttle super early, and carry a pretty precise amount of slide out of corners since I knew it pretty much wouldn't bite me no matter what. The Miata is a different story, once it starts to go it is pretty much gone in a big way.

Frustrating as poo poo.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What's your full suspension setup (swaybars, spring rates, alignment, tire choice, wheel size, rake, corner balanced, etc)? The way mine is set up I don't get much if any push on corner entry, the car rotates incredibly well under trail braking, and sliding the rear is easy to control (but I'm not turbo, and on RS4's instead of slicks, etc).

I have yet to drive a miata in anger that had fantastic feeling brakes. With mine, making sure the rear parking brake is adjusted perfectly seems to be key to getting the best brake feel.

Also hows your aero balance? I remember you having a decent front splitter/wing combo - might need to increase downforce in the front or decrease downforce in the rear to get rid of the push if it's not rotating on entry.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 15, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
~2400lb
1200lb / 550lb springs on Xida Race gen 2
4.25" f / 4.0" rear
Front bar is the 54106 1.25 x .188 Racing Beat on full soft
Rear bar is the stock non-adjustable Mazdaspeed bar
245 Toyo RRs on 15x10 6UL
64" Singular / APR rear wing run more or less flat
3" front splitter

I plan to cut a 4" splitter this week to be at the limit for rules, I just need to figure out how to tie the car down on my trailer since it is super close as-is.

I also have some spare 1000lb and 600lb springs, so I was thinking about throwing the 1000lb springs up front. I think we're supposed to shoot for 0 rake, so I could also try bringing the rear up a bit. It is just hard to feel what the car is doing, so maybe it is just too stiff? I think the PO basically copied Emilios setup on his orange S1 Supermiata in terms of suspension setup, but Emilio ended up something like 1400lb / 600lb and he is a way better driver than I am or ever will be. Maybe it is one of those things where the setup is fine as long as you know what the car should be doing and are confident, but someone new to the chassis might need to start softer?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 15, 2021

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
is that 4" rear number correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, I'd say its accurate but the pinch welds are all hosed up on this car.