Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/474477900353281/

It’s honestly kind of hard to compare the 1100 to what came after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm a sucker for 90s paint jobs but it's probably because my love of bikes came from playing Road Rash on Sega Genesis. Also, I never go on FB marketplace but after clicking the above ad, one of my related ads was this:

I guess you could probably use that legally where I live, but still funny to see on FB.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This seems like a good deal, but I'm guessing someone already picked it up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Avocado green kitchen stuff is definitely back in vogue but that might be a purely regional thing, nzers have notoriously crap taste.

You say "back" like it's not actually arriving there for the first time as the cutting edge of fashion down there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm a sucker for 90s paint jobs but it's probably because my love of bikes came from playing Road Rash on Sega Genesis.

The CDROM-tastic intro to the Saturn version is pretty much a direct rendering of every thought that was in my head between the ages of 15 and 17, it's uncanny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBdlScU7N6M

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

This seems like a good deal, but I'm guessing someone already picked it up.

Auction lots:
Sasquatch fur coat
London bridge
Drz that's never been down
Rocking horse manure

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You say "back" like it's not actually arriving there for the first time as the cutting edge of fashion down there.

Yeah that's fair.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The never been down is a joke as it's probably been down hundreds of times.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The CDROM-tastic intro to the Saturn version is pretty much a direct rendering of every thought that was in my head between the ages of 15 and 17, it's uncanny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBdlScU7N6M

It's perfect

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I want all those bikes. gently caress.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
ZRX in England seems like a good deal:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

hoho`win posted:

Used bike prices in the UK have fallen off a cliff of late because of the ULEZ. You have to pay £12.50 a day to ride a non-Euro3 bike into central London, and the zone is expanding to all of inner London at the end of the year, and probably to all of London in the next few years along with probably coming up to Euro5. As probably the majority of bikes in the south east of England are used for commuting, this is causing a massive glut of cheap second-hand bikes which is rippling across the country and also over to non-commuter bikes because the commuters are getting *so* cheap. Obviously the huge increase in home working over the last year has only made things worse.

That might even actually be a legitimate investment, because once the expansion stops (there's also talk of similar schemes in a few other cities) prices should shake out and stabilise, and I can well see a nice clean ZRX going up in value quite a bit.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

125 prices though have gone up significantly due to lack of supply and high demand to people wanting to avoid public transport, and riding a 125 only takes a 3h long un-fail-able course to be licensed to ride the 125cc bike.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

:what:

Who’s your market, man.
Like, for clarity, if you have $4k and are looking for a bike, you’re measuring a six figure mileage ADV against practically the whole used world. Anyone looking for something they can count on for ADV trips probably has a higher credit limit.

I’d probably dirtball up the BMW brand for a bit though if it were $2k-ish.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 18, 2021

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Used bike prices in the UK have fallen off a cliff of late because of the ULEZ.

Steakandchips posted:

125 prices though have gone up significantly due to lack of supply and high demand to people wanting to avoid public transport, and riding a 125 only takes a 3h long un-fail-able course to be licensed to ride the 125cc bike.

Seems like there's a business idea here...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What, changing 250CC bikes to only be 125CC?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Are there many 500cc I4s? Because I've thought of a way of making 4 125s...

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are there many 500cc I4s? Because I've thought of a way of making 4 125s...

You guys buy all the nice large displacement bikes for cheap in the UK and I buy all the tiny bikes and we trade for profit.

No hacking cylinders off required.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

hoho`win posted:

Those jumbo poodles are badass too

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Went to see a 2008 F800GS today, 22k km on the odo, for 7 000 euros. Whats CA opinion on the bike?

It has brand new tires (Michelin, knobbier tread, didnt look closer) , new sprockets and chain and just done yearly maintenance with oils etc. Got SW motech racks and aluminum side cases and a touratech navigator stand and comes with a garmin navi.

Doesnt seem like a bad deal? Need to wait for the snow to melt to test ride it to see how it feels.

Do I have to change CA to ADVrider if I get it :(

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Went to see a 2008 F800GS today, 22k km on the odo, for 7 000 euros. Whats CA opinion on the bike?

It has brand new tires (Michelin, knobbier tread, didnt look closer) , new sprockets and chain and just done yearly maintenance with oils etc. Got SW motech racks and aluminum side cases and a touratech navigator stand and comes with a garmin navi.

Doesnt seem like a bad deal? Need to wait for the snow to melt to test ride it to see how it feels.

Do I have to change CA to ADVrider if I get it :(

I rented an f800gs for about a week of on-road use. Power was fine, but felt like it wanted to sit high in the rev range, so it always felt like i was out of room - definitely found the rev-limiter during a pass, which was a little jarring. Otherwise, it was capable and well built, but not very exciting ::bmw::

Later on I bought 2009 f650gs twin (same engine/bike, but fiddled-with). Ownership was pretty simple, except that the stator and R/R shat out, which is common and something to check about. Charging system replacement ran me about $1k USD.

Personally, I hate that they have dip-sticks for checking oil.

Otherwise, no complaints.

Deal seems solid if there’s no problem with the bike.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm selling a 95 Buick Roadmaster and had a guy offer me a 74 Yamaha RD350 in trade.

I'm thinking that value wise I'd come out ahead here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a rad bike for sure.

As a previous owner of one, it’s a great bike if you don’t want to go on the highway or take long trips.

The powerband is, well it’s a two stroke, so it’s on or off and not much else. Also the electrical s are 1970’s Yamaha, which is to say one step above a Lucas setup.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PeterCat posted:

I'm selling a 95 Buick Roadmaster and had a guy offer me a 74 Yamaha RD350 in trade.

I'm thinking that value wise I'd come out ahead here.

You would be insane to not take this swap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you think it would be cool to have a bike sized like a ninja 250 and with the power of a ninja 250 but also that same bike magically gains the power of a 750cc bike after you rev it to a certain rpm? Would it be fun to have a mystery turbo that appears out of thin air? Want a bike with a nitrous shot that never runs out of nitrous?

If so make the trade.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

No RD is worth $4500 unless you are riding it off the museum floor but that's a nice bike. The electrics are primitive poo poo but also so simple that you could rip it out entirely and common enough that there are aftermarket improved wiring harnesses available.

But here's the most important question, is it the Roadmaster Estate?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

No, it's a base sedan. I'm just looking at it from the stand point that i can probably sell the bike 4 more than the car and it's easier to store.

And it might be a fun little bike to have for a little while.

I'm trying to get $2500 out of the Buick.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, looking closer, that’s a Frankenstein bike.

It’s a 74 rd with an r5 motor. The r5 was pre-rd350 and not as advanced or desirable. It’s piston port rather than reed valve and there is a reason everyone has heard of the rd350 and no one has heard of the r5

Those wheels are also off a later Daytona or something but not a 74 rd.

That’s someone’s Frankenstein project. I’d say pass on it.

E: those are r5 side covers too. He’s trying to pass an R5 off as an RD350 because it has newer wheels and paint. Definitely avoid.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 22, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Thanks, I know next to nothing about 70s Japanese bikes.

Appreciate the help!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PeterCat posted:

No, it's a base sedan. I'm just looking at it from the stand point that i can probably sell the bike 4 more than the car and it's easier to store.

And it might be a fun little bike to have for a little while.

I'm trying to get $2500 out of the Buick.

Ok as you know the Estate has no intrinsic value, it is priceless.

The picture is fuzzy but I'm with JSB on this one, frankenbike = no, but magazine cover quality refurb/restore = yes because there's a decent market for them even if magazine bikes are garbage to ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok, looking closer, that’s a Frankenstein bike.

It’s a 74 rd with an r5 motor. The r5 was pre-rd350 and not as advanced or desirable. It’s piston port rather than reed valve and there is a reason everyone has heard of the rd350 and no one has heard of the r5

Those wheels are also off a later Daytona or something but not a 74 rd.

That’s someone’s Frankenstein project. I’d say pass on it.

E: those are r5 side covers too. He’s trying to pass an R5 off as an RD350 because it has newer wheels and paint. Definitely avoid.

None of this stuff would make the bike worth less than 10k here.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've ridden a few RD350s and a DS7 and they're all fairly fun but a tuned RD is hair on fire fun. I don't think a franken R5 is worth 2500 though at all.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Hmmm... https://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/d/merrick-1976-honda-gl-1000-original-20k/7295128529.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

That's awesome

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s cool as h*ck and I’d buy it

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That bike port is cool, putting on my cover feels like a pain in the rear end sometimes when it gets caught on the various pointy bits

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s cool as h*ck and I’d buy it

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/283827579999884/

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wants a grand more than “average retail.” New, $17,969 base. Paid $37.91 for every mile it has seen, not accounting for a decade of insurance, gas, maintenance.

I put more miles than that on a bike I just bought Sunday.
E: I mean, he’ll probably get close to it, it just seems like the most pointless thing.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 26, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That guy to someone else at some point of ownership: "It's an investment, the prices on these are going up!"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm betting it's still on original tires and the oil had been changed like twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I floated the idea of buying a bike to keep at my friend's place in Calgary so I have something to ride when I visit instead of renting. He's all for it, as long as it's cool and he can ride it. Of course, I wouldn't want it sitting rotting! Anyway I was kinda serious, kinda not, but then I saw this...

Tempting but I doubt I can get my poo poo together quickly enough to take advantage... Still...