Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

numberoneposter posted:

Anyone throwing shade on either the ideal or actual Big Mac is gonna get launched into the Sun.

I ate a Really Big Carl the other day and it was pretty good as far as stuffing a bunch of meat and cheese in your mouth goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I ate a Really Big Carl the other day and it was pretty good as far as stuffing a bunch of meat and cheese in your mouth goes.

This looks good. Honestly I may not always be in the mood for a burg, but I can always put down a Big Mac. Sometimes I'd be coming home just before they'd start serving breakfast and get a fresh Double Big Mac, extra pickles extra Mac sauce extra cheese :swoon:

Valko posted:

Yeah, there was probably no beef in the Indian burger, of course. Might not even be meat.

Definitely. Which makes it odd that the others appear to have a similar texture

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

ultrafilter posted:

I don't think we can get through a worst burgers thread without discussing White Castle. Here's the basic slider at roughly actual size:

These things are greasy as hell and loaded with onions. They're colloquially known as gutbusters or fartstarters because of the effect of those two factors on the average person's digestive system. I used to love them when I was a kid, but I haven't had one in twenty years, and I don't want to know what they'd do to my stomach now.

I really can't imagine what White Castle infused rye would taste like, though. That seems like a terrible idea.

Chief McHeath posted:

Listen here fucker don't you ever speak ill of White Castle again. I will gently caress you up. White Castle is trash food because it is meant to be trash food and its loving amazing.

White Castle changed something over the years and I'm not the only one to notice. They were also the only drive thru back in the day that was open 24 hours. well them and Steak N Shake.

They were called "sliders" because they would slide out of your rear end. So I hate that "sliders" is now a term the restaurant industry uses to name small sandwiches.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Someone earlier mentioned eating hot dogs with nasty cheese in them. People keep trying to do that, along with other stuff like chili. Even in the 80s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPe29etblFA

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jesus this one looks like there's another hand trying to come up from the bottom of the bag to grab the burg and take a bite

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ultrafilter posted:

I don't think we can get through a worst burgers thread without discussing White Castle. Here's the basic slider at roughly actual size:

These things are greasy as hell and loaded with onions. They're colloquially known as gutbusters or fartstarters because of the effect of those two factors on the average person's digestive system. I used to love them when I was a kid, but I haven't had one in twenty years, and I don't want to know what they'd do to my stomach now.

I really can't imagine what White Castle infused rye would taste like, though. That seems like a terrible idea.

White Castle rules. Haven't had it in a while but it's basically the perfect junk food.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

The Walrus posted:

jesus this one looks like there's another hand trying to come up from the bottom of the bag to grab the burg and take a bite

what

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm not saying I wouldn't devour the poo poo out of a bag of White Castles, but I'm not going to pretend that they're good, and I recognize that there would be consequences.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So as we euros only have a few of your popular fastfood chains, which ones are the actual worst?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

burger king is the worst probably

im not that crazy about mcdonalds either but i love those fuckin fries

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Every one of them is the worst except for all of the others.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Son of Rodney posted:

So as we euros only have a few of your popular fastfood chains, which ones are the actual worst?

If you want to talk chains that are available coast to coast? I would say Burger King yeah. The Whopper tastes ok but everything else is garbage.

McDonalds has great fries provided they're fresh (I think this is a rule for any fry) and the new Quarter Pounder is good.

Wendys is pretty good. The burgers are good and the fries are decent.

Hardees/Carls Jr has a couple good sandwiches (Frisco burger) and good breakfast but everything else is trash

Taco Bell...it's bad. Everyone knows it's bad. But sometimes it's 1am and you just want a fuckin taco.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

PinheadSlim posted:

burger king is the worst probably

im not that crazy about mcdonalds either but i love those fuckin fries

This is actually quite surprising. Two of the most global being the worst.

Anyway, I don't think a fast food chain on the planet has a more dissapointing presentation vs reality of what you get than Abrakebabra.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Son of Rodney posted:

KFC/AW rootbeer combo restaurant is the literal #1 worst

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

A&W is fuckin trash. Around here there's a few A&W/Long John Silvers and smell driving by it is vomit inducing.

KFC I think the only real coast to coast chicken chain in the US. Popeye's is slowly expanding though. KFC just varies so much. There's a KFC around here that's pretty drat good. They still have the buffet. The people in the kitchen have been there forever. They're pretty good about making sure stuff is fresh. The other KFCs in the area are just....bleh. I imagine that's the case with a lot of fast food fried chicken.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

the ham chunks. it doesnt REALLY look like it but it kinda does. hammy ghost fingers.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I want to like Burger King but the last few times I tried getting a chicken sandwich there the chicken was absolutely hard as a rock and inedible at the center, like I dunno if they didn't reheat it enough or what, it was disgusting

when I want chicken and I want it now, I need to drag my rear end to Popeyes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
for a burger + fries i prefer burger king to the other 2 big ones, on both burger and fry fronts. whopper w/ cheese ftw

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Maybe I have no soul, but I would have no problem eating any of those except for that thing from "The Sandwich Man" that looks like someone loving a brain.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Aardvark! posted:

for a burger + fries i prefer burger king to the other 2 big ones, on both burger and fry fronts. whopper w/ cheese ftw

yeah their beef burgs are good and I like the limited time ones they run

but when I think to myself that I want to disrespect my arteries and colon, that I want to shave a month or so off my lifespan, I tend to turn to the bacon ultimate cheeseburger at jack in the box. I dunno if I'd really say it's "good" to me, but sometimes I feel an itch, you know

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

KFC is by far the most dissapointing fast food, surprised noone has mentioned it. It has declined substantially. Somewhere around when they started selling bowls of everything the sell, hungry bowls or something.

Church's, Popeyes, or the local place chicken place if you are in a southern state are the best. Don't think I've seen a church's chicken outside of the cities I've lived in but it's good. Popeyes is consistent and has good spicy.

For burgs the worst is McDonald's generally but they regionally source their beef so its wicked inconsistent. As mentioned new quarter pounder is awesome and is shake shack level.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
How has no one mentioned Wienerschnitzel yet in the bad fast food chain discussion?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Church's, Popeyes, or the local place chicken place if you are in a southern state are the best. Don't think I've seen a church's chicken outside of the cities I've lived in but it's good. Popeyes is consistent and has good spicy.

My whole life I thought I didn't like chicken tenders because I'd only had lovely ones from KFC or the frozen kind.

Then I had Churchs and Raising Canes and I realized I actually love chicken tenders lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Valko posted:

This is actually quite surprising. Two of the most global being the worst.

Anyway, I don't think a fast food chain on the planet has a more dissapointing presentation vs reality of what you get than Abrakebabra.

Check out my Subway thread in the Cholesterol Clubhouse. Advertisment vs reality.

I'm on my phone and never use the app so I don't know how to link it. (also I didn't even try)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Aardvark! posted:

I hear KFC often which suprises me as here in germany while it's not concidered anything special, it's definitly not bad. Burger King suprises me too, I tend to like it, though now that I live in a city with actual good burger places I don't go anymore.

Is 5 guys good? They opened up in europe a while ago and they've been on my goto list.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Is 5 guys good? They opened up in europe a while ago and they've been on my goto list.

They're worth checking out.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Son of Rodney posted:

Very good burgers and dogs, poo poo fries.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Check out my Subway thread in the Cholesterol Clubhouse. Advertisment vs reality.

I'm on my phone and never use the app so I don't know how to link it. (also I didn't even try)

Leave GBS and expose my fragile psyche to the wilderness of the rest of the forums? Are you nuts? Do you want to drive me nuts?

I'll check it out, sure.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Son of Rodney posted:

pro starcraft loser posted:

yeah the fries are absolute garbage, and a small is over 500 calories and a large is over 1300 calories.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
tcc is the second chin hanging off of GBS's face

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

PinheadSlim posted:

yeah the fries are absolute garbage, and a small is over 500 calories and a large is over 1300 calories.

I mean they load you the gently caress up though. I won't complain about that.

Just...so, so soggy.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Alright, I'll check it out soon! I wonder if they do the pile of fries here too, also they might be better since they're gonna be using local potaters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Whaaaaat. The 5 guys fries are really good.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

For fries to be crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside they need to be fried twice ideally. If you just give them one long soak in the hot oil then they turn out floppy and greasy, which I'm pretty sure is what 5 guys does. And if it's been a while since they changed the oil then you can get a bitter aftertaste.

I've only had 5 guys a few times but it's easy to spot when you know about it

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I think they sort of try to mimic the endless onion rings thing Red Robin got their notoriety from. The cup in your take out bag could never take on the voluminous, infinite, mount vesuvian poo poo ton of fries so it seems like a better deal. They are floppy though and the Cajun fries? No Cajun flavor, at least toss some slap ya mama on them. Its like they put smoked paprika on.

The burgs are killer if you don't go over board on toppings though. Their dogs are surprisingly ok despite being split, guessing that's a procedure to deal with "every topping" people.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pro starcraft loser posted:

Ok burger. Also like $15 for a small burger and lovely fries.

I went there once when they opened one up here a few years ago. I haven't been back.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ok burger. Also like $15 for a small burger and lovely fries.

I went there once when they opened one up here a few years ago. I haven't been back.

The trick is to add a patty for two bucks and split the burger. LIFEHACK.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

I hear KFC often which suprises me as here in germany while it's not concidered anything special, it's definitly not bad. Burger King suprises me too, I tend to like it, though now that I live in a city with actual good burger places I don't go anymore.

I'm also surprised by how bad KFC's rep is in the US, brazilian KFC is one of my favorite fast food places.

Yes, there ARE sandwiches with catupiry:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Their dogs are surprisingly ok despite being split, guessing that's a procedure to deal with "every topping" people.

The dogs are good, I believe the split might be a health thing (prevents unchewed wiener segment from getting lodged in the throat, this is what you're supposed to do with kids hotdogs but it can be safely extrapolated to anyone unlikely to chew their food properly). The burgs are good too.

imo the cajun fries taste like they're seasoned with Old Bay without the Bay if that makes any sense.

PinheadSlim posted:

For fries to be crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside they need to be fried twice ideally. If you just give them one long soak in the hot oil then they turn out floppy and greasy, which I'm pretty sure is what 5 guys does.

It's too bad that proper fry cooking is a lost art. It's why most fries are hit or miss when they could all be perfect if they followed the double cooking process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

PinheadSlim posted:

For fries to be crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside they need to be fried twice ideally. If you just give them one long soak in the hot oil then they turn out floppy and greasy, which I'm pretty sure is what 5 guys does. And if it's been a while since they changed the oil then you can get a bitter aftertaste.

I've only had 5 guys a few times but it's easy to spot when you know about it

They used to properly twice fry, but now they just do a half hearted first fry so the second fry just cooks them through in a horribly greasy manner. Perfect for reheating in an air fryer though.