Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just turned 40 and my brain is absolutely, definitely in decline. Nobody should be involved in legislation past 50, nobody should be voting past 60 without some kind of test..

That is a terrible idea that would have exactly the same effect as every other voter qualification bullshit, ie disenfranchise the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Red Oktober posted:

I'm not a defender of this government at all and we know there was a huge amount of stuff they cocked up (and still are) around tracking and tracing, closing borders etc - but was this not the same as when they discovered the 'UK Strain' - that it was already in a few other places too, and the UK was the first one to put their hand up and say "erm, we have something new here"?

IIRC didn't we actually find patient zero for the UK strain, and it was some dude who somehow had it for so long that he produced a bunch of new variants on his own?

I might be eliding two different things, though

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ash Crimson posted:

good on thorntons for disappearing, no longer existing

dang does this mean i'll have to put some thought into my dad's birthday present each year. this is the true dystopia

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ash Crimson posted:

Oh no! The ice cream and being a major employer at the factory in this area!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From the reporting on this halting of providing the AZ vaccine it's literally a few days to go "hang on, is this a problem?" and is not going to stop the vaccine being provided assuming no causal link can be inferred.

Now, the big problem with this is it's going to dissuade even more people from getting the AZ vaccine at all, regardless of safety.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

They're only closing the retail shops so the factory shouldn't be affected

Still poo poo if you're working in a Thornton's shop but iirc they weren't doing well even before covid

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angepain posted:

dang does this mean i'll have to put some thought into my dad's birthday present each year. this is the true dystopia

You can still get their boxes in Tesco

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thorntons make horrible yet expensive chocolates so I'm surprised it didn't go bust sooner.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tesseraction posted:

Now, the big problem with this is it's going to dissuade even more people from getting the AZ vaccine at all, regardless of safety.

They have two people doing the vaccinations who sit you down and get your arm out before you get told which one you are getting, which is a NHS correcting problem over here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Thorntons make horrible yet expensive chocolates so I'm surprised it didn't go bust sooner.

Always liked the occasional bag of Toffi Chocs, they were lovely but pricey

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently the universe heard me whinging cos I just got my appointments, yay.

Not looking forward to getting into boro in the middle of rush hour but still, woo.

Also not really a fan of how the booking website encourages you to just click on locations without reading them to get to final confirmation because otherwise someone will snipe your slot and you have to start over again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

learnincurve posted:

They have two people doing the vaccinations who sit you down and get your arm out before you get told which one you are getting, which is a NHS correcting problem over here.

*me walking out of the vaccination station* "oh right, which vaccine did I get?"

"vaccine?

nah mate this one's just the chip"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm due my second Pfizer jab this week. It'll be nice to get that and still be unable to go on holiday anywhere because the entire world is run by buffoons.

No, scrap that, I could probably go to Uganda. The government there seems pretty sure covid isn't an issue, despite the booming coffin trade.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kingturnip posted:

I'm due my second Pfizer jab this week. It'll be nice to get that and still be unable to go on holiday anywhere because the entire world is run by buffoons.

No, scrap that, I could probably go to Uganda. The government there seems pretty sure covid isn't an issue, despite the booming coffin trade.

Ugandan discussions getting criminally morbid.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ash Crimson posted:

Camrath is clearly shutting down the competition.

Been at the new job for a week now, it's alright but a bit weird, meeting everyone over slack/google meetings and stuff. Some of them seem pretty introverted as well which is my inclination generally but I'm trying to push myself cause of the situation and cause QA kinda has to at least know everyone a bit.

Regardless I was feeling pretty good until I idly decided to go back through the slack history and saw my predecessor getting absolutely reamed out for all to see by one of the founders of the company for logging a bug that the guy didn't think was worth logging. Sigh... I know I'm never gonna find a perfect job but it'd be nice if I could feel good about one for a bit at least.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder how much of their business was eaten by the rise of Hotel Chocolat? That's certainly where I went for fancy stuff.

It did lead me to this story from 2007. The writing was on the wall even then...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/willy-wonka-resigns-after-his-meltdown-chocolate-counter-396891.html

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HC is also horribly expensive chocolate but it does at least taste a bit better than thorntons yeah.

The best chocolate, of course, is discounted chocolate.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what’s happening with eu citizens previously eligible to vote in local election? can they still post brexit

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't that because Spain was the first country to say "hey has anyone else had a bunch of excess deaths?" back when nobody else wanted to say first because of the war efforts?

Spain were one of the few neutral countries who a) had loads of deaths and b) had a decent enough press, so they didn't have the wartime censorship restrictions that prevented anyone from reporting it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

HC is also horribly expensive chocolate but it does at least taste a bit better than thorntons yeah.

The best chocolate, of course, is discounted chocolate.

No. No, this cannot go left unremarked. This is a bad take. Chocolate is one of those things where it's worth spending a bit more on the good stuff.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bump_fn posted:

what’s happening with eu citizens previously eligible to vote in local election? can they still post brexit

Yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only if you cannot simply spend less on the good stuff, because of the aforementioned discount.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Really? I thought it was no (commonwealth citizens excepted).

Speaking as someone with ILR/settled status who voted before and would not mind again.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You know some of us have to put up with mud for chocolate. Cadbury's (UK Cadbury's, not the poo poo Cadbury's over here) is luxury compared to the garbage in NA.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can get that in the UK too if you buy nestle chocolate, unethical and disgusting.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

qhat posted:

You know some of us have to put up with mud for chocolate. Cadbury's (UK Cadbury's, not the poo poo Cadbury's over here) is luxury compared to the garbage in NA.
Not so much as mud as vomit (Hershey’s used milk treated with Butyric acid which is found in vomit and other rancid things).
https://www.chemistryworld.com/podcasts/butyric-acid/1017662.article

Also the Americans have made Cadburys worst since they bought it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/carldinnen/status/1371493689919471629

Hope you weren't attached to your retinas.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nice of them to make it really easy to chroma key.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
How is Keith gonna do better than four flags?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

No wonder it was so expensive, it's some type of 2D dimension.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess the people who make the sets for the game shows were out of work.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lmao boris is gona announce the break up of the UK from his gaudy trump set.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Insha'allah

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
BREAKING

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

The blue is really going to bring out his sweaty blubberiness on camera.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

They can't help themselves can they, they can't not be like this

https://twitter.com/Kent_Online/status/1371536633586188288?s=19

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Boris is incredibly good at shielding himself and this stupid briefing room will probably boost his PR even more. He doesn't even really need his Cabinet to perform their traditional ablative armour role.

All the tories I tangentially know are incapable of blaming Boris for anything they hate about Tory policies.

Owns a pub, despises any form of lockdown and blames the government for "deliberately destroying his livelihood"? That's "them", it's the "great reset" that is about "controlling the world", their agents are SAGE. Absolutely nothing to do with Boris, his cabinet, or any Tory MPs. Boris is a hero who saved our country and personally invented a vaccine.

Thinks the spycops thing is scary? That's "them" again. I can never get details about what mechanism "they" are using to introduce this ostensibly Tory legislation.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
HC is good cos you can get stuff there that you can’t find anywhere else. A Christmas trip to HC is one of the very few occasions when I might actually taste something I’ve not really tasted before. If it’s on discount, however, that is obviously the best.

What do we think the chances of this protest bill passing are? Needs 40 Tory rebels - is that in any way realistic?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jakabite posted:

HC is good cos you can get stuff there that you can’t find anywhere else. A Christmas trip to HC is one of the very few occasions when I might actually taste something I’ve not really tasted before. If it’s on discount, however, that is obviously the best.

What do we think the chances of this protest bill passing are? Needs 40 Tory rebels - is that in any way realistic?

You might get 4 rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there are going to be more Labour rebels than there are Tory