Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

All votes for Barik will be interpreted as votes for dealing with Ashe and Nerat, because we can't progress the quest without dealing with Ashe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Barik will need to wait a bit, then, just until we do Verse's quest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
As interesting as Verse is, waste Ashe and Nerat because those fuckers shouldn't be allowed to breath a second longer than necessary.

...unless it breaks Barik and/or Verse's sidequests. If it does, then do Barik's sidequest first.

Question, and just say spoilers if so, but if you piss off Mark repeatedly early on in the game does he just show up and cut-scene murder you or do you get to actually fight him and just end up in a deep poo poo super-boss-equivalent fight if you managed to get on his poo poo list (or Tunon's) fast enough?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Nyeehg posted:

All aboard for Verse's quest.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
I'm somewhat interested in seeing how Barik's quest resolves, but let's go with Verse's quest since she hasn't been nearly as racist.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
As long as we do The Trial before dealing with Ashe or Nerat, Im down to finish Verse's quest.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Whatever problems were had with the fine detail plotting here, the transition from Act 2 to Act 3 is legitimately fantastic. Loving this poo poo.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Verse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Help Barik.

This is point where I really don't understand the people who wanted to play a complete loyalist to Kyros. Leaving aside, you know, the entire point and theme of the game, Obsidian always advertised Tyranny as a Darth Vader simulator. We're a proud, even arrogant sort who nevertheless probably had basically good intentions and were mislead by a corrupt and faulty system lead by a charismatic manipulator into doing evil and enforcing a fascist regime under the misguided belief that such evil and tyranny were necessary to accomplish a greater good. Now Cleo is on the bridge of the second Death Star, lightsaber drawn and thinking about dropping a gremlin sorcerer down an elevator shaft.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 15, 2021

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Help Barik.

This is point where I really don't understand the people who wanted to play a complete loyalist to Kyros. Leaving aside, you know, the entire point and theme of the game, Obsidian always advertised Tyranny as a Darth Vader simulator. We're a proud, even arrogant sort who nevertheless probably had basically good intentions and were mislead by a corrupt and faulty system lead by a charismatic manipulator into doing evil and enforcing a fascist regime under the misguided belief that such evil and tyranny were necessary to accomplish a greater good. Now Cleo is on the bridge of the second Death Star, lightsaber drawn and thinking about dropping a gremlin sorcerer down an elevator shaft.

My main complaint when I played through the game was that there were points were you were railroaded into blatantly poor choices. We've seen a lot of that already where you're forced into fights against people you could have formed an alliance with; but it shouldn't be a spoiler to say that there's even worse examples of this to come.

Essentially the devs don't seem to have considered that someone might want to act like a loyalist for diplomacy's sake even though basically every single character we've met so far is LARP-ing the same thing. Just lie and say that Kyros backs you, what, is Kyros going to contradict you and go "no, my fatebinders are casting edicts all by themselves and have gone completely rogue". The Rebel path has similar issues, where you're basically railroaded into openly declaring rebellion long before you're possibly ready; there's no options to tell the rebels to stop being so openly defiant while you're trying to scheme.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "down boy" while you reach for a stick and the devs don't give a lot of opportunities for that.

Also, a thought keeps occurring. Can you use edicts to terraform the regions? Like an edict of crop growth or perfect healing or long life or something? Also, since the edict casting system has been revealed, it's a good time to point something out. We've already broken all the edicts, but if we hadn't, we'd notice that it's not possible to cast an edict on top of another edict. Which implies that Kyros can't cast an edict in an area if we have our own edict running already. That might not be relevant now, but might be useful later.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Help Barik

He's trapped in a prison of poo poo, blood, and metal, and if that's not a metaphor for living under Kyros, I don't know what is.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do whatever quest needs to be done first in order to not break the games scripts and flags.

Gotta say the triggers are looking mighty shakey right now.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

Help Verse.

Put the Ashe/Nerat confrontation off like a fine cigar.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

rastilin posted:

My main complaint when I played through the game was that there were points were you were railroaded into blatantly poor choices. We've seen a lot of that already where you're forced into fights against people you could have formed an alliance with; but it shouldn't be a spoiler to say that there's even worse examples of this to come.

Essentially the devs don't seem to have considered that someone might want to act like a loyalist for diplomacy's sake even though basically every single character we've met so far is LARP-ing the same thing. Just lie and say that Kyros backs you, what, is Kyros going to contradict you and go "no, my fatebinders are casting edicts all by themselves and have gone completely rogue". The Rebel path has similar issues, where you're basically railroaded into openly declaring rebellion long before you're possibly ready; there's no options to tell the rebels to stop being so openly defiant while you're trying to scheme.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "down boy" while you reach for a stick and the devs don't give a lot of opportunities for that.

Also, a thought keeps occurring. Can you use edicts to terraform the regions? Like an edict of crop growth or perfect healing or long life or something? Also, since the edict casting system has been revealed, it's a good time to point something out. We've already broken all the edicts, but if we hadn't, we'd notice that it's not possible to cast an edict on top of another edict. Which implies that Kyros can't cast an edict in an area if we have our own edict running already. That might not be relevant now, but might be useful later.

Kyros has enough legal bullshit to presumably nail us for breach of Kyros' Peace/Oldwalls trespassing/possession of forbidden knowledge/etc - that's the entire point of the law. Presumably some of the Chorus blood chanters escaped to tell everyone that Cleo just made her own Edict and at that point it's too far gone for Kyros to do damage control. I do agree with you about the stupid aggressive railroading though.

Unfortunately all the Edicts we see in the game are extremely destructive, so we can't bless our lands with cool things to stop Kyros.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Unfortunately all the Edicts we see in the game are extremely destructive, so we can't bless our lands with cool things to stop Kyros.

You could probably make a case for Edicts being an allegory for major technological or social developments. They seemingly come out of nowhere, appear to defy explanation, and are generally ascribed to one specific creator. And while they could in theory be used for good and making positive improvements in everyone's lives, the only use you ever see them put towards is wholesale destruction.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yeah, the Edicts to me feel like nuclear weaponry if overused - they're extremely destructive, they're going to chew up the land and innocent people caught in the area, and once they're strong enough they poison the land for a while to come until someone manages to fulfill their conditions. Relying too heavily on them seems poisonous, and it's certainly part of what hosed over Kyros here, because Kyros has built so much of his reputation on being the only one to make Edicts that what Cleo does completely shatters Kyros' claim of legitimacy.

There might be points to come where using an Edict is explicitly the best idea, but if we don't want to fall into those same traps, I think it's best to use sparingly.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Verse>Trial>Ashe>Barik>Nerat

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As we've now seen, the Law no longer applies to Cleo. The Overlord's state requires a monopoly on force, and if Mark or Tunon can't or won't get the job done, she simply has too much personal power to be threatened by any agent it can muster up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure an Edict of Bountiful Harvests would work about as well as the suggestion that we could counteract climate change by setting off a bunch of nukes and let the subsequent nuclear winter cancel it out. It would turn out to blight all the land around it for 30 miles and probably also the crops you get would be poisonous and mobile and carnivorous.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Kyros has enough legal bullshit to presumably nail us for breach of Kyros' Peace/Oldwalls trespassing/possession of forbidden knowledge/etc - that's the entire point of the law. Presumably some of the Chorus blood chanters escaped to tell everyone that Cleo just made her own Edict and at that point it's too far gone for Kyros to do damage control. I do agree with you about the stupid aggressive railroading though.

I don't see what the problem is, this is all excusable under Mage's Folly right?? :eng101:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am in for some court intrigue first

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
My votes for Verse. But also I agree with

Donkringel posted:

Do whatever quest needs to be done first in order to not break the games scripts and flags.

Gotta say the triggers are looking mighty shakey right now.

Let's not do anything that breaks the game :shobon:

necroid
May 14, 2009

necroid posted:

quite the whiplash after that DLC writing

quoting myself because these last few updates have definitely shattered my neck

I also assumed that something as big as this edict-blasting open challenge would happen much later in the game so I'm interested to see for how long things will remain civil

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oh also, I don't really want to drop edicts on Ashe and Nerat because we know the Disfavored keep slaves and the Chorus, well, not everyone innocent in their area is going to be dead, they don't kill kids.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I think the railroading just comes down to real life time pressure during development. The pace of act 3 is so insanely fast compared to act 2 and it really has the feeling of a looming deadline.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
edict system deffo felt like it was supposed to be part of an actually meaty act 3 and maybe 4 too

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure an Edict of Bountiful Harvests would work about as well as the suggestion that we could counteract climate change by setting off a bunch of nukes and let the subsequent nuclear winter cancel it out. It would turn out to blight all the land around it for 30 miles and probably also the crops you get would be poisonous and mobile and carnivorous.

It's all in the phrasing. For example every edict we've seen so far has an escape clause or an implicit time limit and is incredibly localized, and you can do a lot with that. For example you could boil a chunk of ocean and use winds to push the steam towards a desert area of the Tiers to give them more rain. Likewise you can impart something like Graven Ashe's wound healing to the crops and animals in an area to make them free of disease and resistant to spotty bad weather; if a drought doesn't kill a plant completely, it would recover to its previous state instead of growing stunted.

You can perform localized experiments with this to see what happens and roll it out slowly to a larger (but still controlled) area if results are good.

Your escape clause can also be something like, "someone claps their hands in this area" or "a stone is thrown" so you can cut the edit short quickly if necessary. I feel there's a lot of untapped potential here.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

rastilin posted:

It's all in the phrasing. For example every edict we've seen so far has an escape clause or an implicit time limit and is incredibly localized, and you can do a lot with that. For example you could boil a chunk of ocean and use winds to push the steam towards a desert area of the Tiers to give them more rain. Likewise you can impart something like Graven Ashe's wound healing to the crops and animals in an area to make them free of disease and resistant to spotty bad weather; if a drought doesn't kill a plant completely, it would recover to its previous state instead of growing stunted.

You can perform localized experiments with this to see what happens and roll it out slowly to a larger (but still controlled) area if results are good.

Your escape clause can also be something like, "someone claps their hands in this area" or "a stone is thrown" so you can cut the edit short quickly if necessary. I feel there's a lot of untapped potential here.

One thing to bear in mind is that usually people reading an edict are irreversibly changed by them (and often just straight up die from it); there's a reason why everybody makes a big deal out of Cleopatra having read two of them and still being essentially fine. It creates a sort of "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" situation where like, is it ethical to deliberately sacrifice someone in order to bring prosperity to a larger group of people?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

rastilin posted:

The game absolutely does not portray Edicts as something that could do a lot of good if only they were used better, they're top-down directives that are insanely destructive because they're used at the whim of one person without a lot of input. Cleopatra's especially do not require someone to read them. There's a reason Eb and Calio realize it's a bad idea to gently caress around with these willy-nilly, they're more like The Great Leap Forward rather than the Civil Rights movement. It's a lot easier to destroy then to come up with something helpful without input from the governed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also I have never clicked the "whoa casting an edict just for shits and giggles seems kinda irresponsible" option; I forgot it was even there. I've only ever picked the option to make my Fatebinder buddy read an edict for me.

Guess that's the point where Tyranny corrupted me! Good show, game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

rastilin posted:

it's still the magic equivalent of "what if we nuke a hurricane" or "we could try doing X to seed rain clouds over this arid region" where even if the initial goal works, will have unexpected and likely disastrous ramifications.

Playing around with Edicts sets off the same alarm in the back of my mind as having a DM say "hey look a magic item that grants a Wish."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

it's still the magic equivalent of "what if we nuke a hurricane" or "we could try doing X to seed rain clouds over this arid region" where even if the initial goal works, will have unexpected and likely disastrous ramifications.

Playing around with Edicts sets off the same alarm in the back of my mind as having a DM say "hey look a magic item that grants a Wish."
Defeating Kyros by handing her a Deck of Many Things.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like edicts being the very obvious nuclear weapon metaphor they are, it stands to reason that the magic could be used in a beneficial way, but it would not take the form of an edict; in the same way that you absolutely do not want to put weapons-grade plutonium in a nuclear reactor, because you're trying to create a stable continuous release of energy, not a bomb. The question then really becomes "are the spires the fuel, or are they the bomb?". i.e. is it even possible to repurpose them to something other than a weapon, or are they explicitly built to focus the magical energies of the oldwalls into a weaponized form? If it is the latter, then it stands to reason that the only responsible thing to do would be to destroy them, but much like nuclear weapons in the real world, people don't do that because of the prisoner's dilemma problem of not wanting to be the only side that destroys their nukes and leaving your enemies as the sole commanders of that power.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 16, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
look up operation plowshare lol

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like edicts being the very obvious nuclear weapon metaphor they are, it stands to reason that the magic could be used in a beneficial way, but it would not take the form of an edict; in the same way that you absolutely do not want to put weapons-grade plutonium in a nuclear reactor, because you're trying to create a stable continuous release of energy, not a bomb. The question then really becomes "are the spires the fuel, or are they the bomb?". i.e. is it even possible to repurpose them to something other than a weapon, or are they explicitly built to focus the magical energies of the oldwalls into a weaponized form? If it is the latter, then it stands to reason that the only responsible thing to do would be to destroy them, but much like nuclear weapons in the real world, people don't do that because of the prisoner's dilemma problem of not wanting to be the only side that destroys their nukes and leaving your enemies as the sole commanders of that power.

Those are reasonable perspectives, though I admit I don't see the edicts that way. In fact I've always assumed that Kyros is pretty much doing the same thing we are on the other side of the continent, including using Edicts for weather control and other purposes. Getting someone to read them is just how Kyros does force projection over a distance. For example the reason there's a prohibition against naming anything Kyros is because there's an Edict protecting "Kyros" from being harmed, which is why even the Archon of assassination can't kill Kyros.

Also I disagree both that it doesn't require additional people's input as well as the nuclear weapon comparison for reasons that I can't go into due to spoilers.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I also won't mention my opinion about Edicts until TheGreatEvilKing reaches the point where it's relevant, but there's one detail I noticed in that Edicts seem to be doable with conditions for the activation, not only termination. The Edict of Execution from Act I only activates upon fullfilling the condition of "Ascension Hall is not taken by the next Day of Swords".

Doesn't that mean that Cleopatra could theoretically use an Edict saying "If the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus don't die out/leave the Tiers by X day and never return, they all die."? I mean, there's the risk someone would get powers from fullfilling the condition to break the Edict like Cleopatra, but it seems like the most efficient way to solve the problem.

Granted, if conditionals worked like that Kyros would have abused that point definitively, but that can be discussed later.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Suffice it to say that I get the feeling that you can't go detailed contract building with Edicts. Given the sheer power and forces involved, they don't seem to operate on anything more complex than IF/THEN logic.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Wait could you cast the execution edict or was it only the broken conquest edicts that could be cast?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Donkringel posted:

Wait could you cast the execution edict or was it only the broken conquest edicts that could be cast?

Killing everyone in the valley, yourself included, wouldn't be very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

wiegieman posted:

Killing everyone in the valley, yourself included, wouldn't be very useful.

Oh, right, Execution was "kill everyone in the area specified".