Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/AmazonChique/status/1370528479171682306?s=20

They're making a She-Hulk TV show so there will probably be another She-Hulk comic, hope the character shows up there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
The She-Hulk TV show can't come soon enough; I love the character and Tatiana Maslany is great. Marvel taking She-Hulk away from Aaron's Avengers and making her a lawyer again will just be the icing on the cake.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't believe she-hulk has been trans this whole time

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

How Wonderful! posted:

Counting YA and kids comics maybe Dana SImpson or Lilah Sturges.

I can also think of the great Rachel Pollack who has not written comics in some time, or Maddie Blaustein who wrote a few things for Milestone in the 90s.

That's leaving out a host of webcomic people and indie creators like Annie Mok or Carta Monir.

Caitlin Kiernan, who wrote The Dreaming at Vertigo, although they identify as nonbinary now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

can't believe she-hulk has been trans this whole time

I absolutely know that you personally don't think that way, but someone could interpret this in a weird way. "Look, it's a strong, muscular woman. I bet she was born male and uses her excess testosterone to be so strong. Cis women can't be strong after all."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't even know what point you're trying to make with this

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

i don't even know what point you're trying to make with this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
like, how i'm reading it is that "chuds may not like it" and the solution implicitly being that artists should draw trans woman as (for lack of a better term) "aesthetically cis" so as to make them "pass" which is erasing like, a huge portion of trans people everywhere to satisfy people who don't like trans people in the first place

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I promise you that if Marvel had OKed She-Hulk being outed as trans, it wouldn't be happening in their token Pride one-shot with no promotion. It's gonna be She-Hulk hanging out with some trans girl and helping her with her problems while relating her Hulk-ness to being trans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I had assumed it was obvious enough but that was a joke

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Making a character that had long been thought of as cis, trans could be good or bad, depending on how it's done. Retconning the woman who gets stronger by being angry to being male presenting at birth introduces a lot of extra possibilities for that story being done badly.

Also they're making a She-Hulk tv show that will almost certainly star a cis woman in the title role, they aren't gonna make her trans in the comics right before that happens. Pretty sure Crystal Frazier is introducing a new character who will be a trans woman, maybe she will have super powers, maybe she will be a paralegal at a law firm. (Kinda think She-Hulk is gonna go back to being a mostly full time lawyer, to line up with TV show).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jeph Loeb wanted Red Hulk to be Betty Banner at one point, I don't know how that works out but it was Loeb so it would be bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Jeph Loeb wanted Red Hulk to be Betty Banner at one point, I don't know how that works out but it was Loeb so it would be bad.

That's even worse than Red Hulk not having Ross' mustache.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Making a character that had long been thought of as cis, trans could be good or bad, depending on how it's done. Retconning the woman who gets stronger by being angry to being male presenting at birth introduces a lot of extra possibilities for that story being done badly.

If anyone could do it I'd be willing to say one of the best people to attempt it would be the trans woman who's writing the story

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That's even worse than Red Hulk not having Ross' mustache.

I think he said he wanted Red Hulk to be in General Ross's image so I assume originally Red Hulk was going to have the stache.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
He explained in a Word Balloon podcast 'why' Red Hulk doesn't have a mustache. If you notice, Ben Grimm has hair when he's Ben Grimm. But when he's the Thing, the hair disappears. Now, maybe you want to call Stan Lee and Jack Kirby hacks who didn't think when they created the Thing, and maybe the Thing is a dumb character who sucks. Because if you complain about Red Hulk's mustache, that's basically what you're doing. Do you hate Stan and Jack? Do you hate the Thing? That's what Loeb thought!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

If anyone could do it I'd be willing to say one of the best people to attempt it would be the trans woman who's writing the story

That is probably true, still doesn't mean it's a good idea, members of an oppressed class are still capable of bad writing

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I mean Banner and Hulk have different hair anyway so it doesn’t have to be anything complicated, but also Red Hulk should just have a dang mustache

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

That is probably true, still doesn't mean it's a good idea, members of an oppressed class are still capable of bad writing

You could just say you don't want it to happen instead of reaching like this

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Snackmar posted:

I mean Banner and Hulk have different hair anyway so it doesn’t have to be anything complicated, but also Red Hulk should just have a dang mustache
Historically they (and all Hulks) have had similar hair in both forms. When Rick Jones became a Hulk in the 1980s, he had long hair in both forms. The Maestro version of Hulk in the future is balding with a beard, there have been points where Bruce Banner had a shaved head or straggly long hair and the Hulk had the same.

The big issue is that Hulks have historically a) had hair and b) had different hairstyles. Jen Walters and She-Hulk both traditionally have long hair, Bruce Banner and Hulk traditionally have short hair.

Ben Grimm is not a Hulk, he's a Thing. There's a smaller sample size of Things, but both of the mainline Marvel Universe Things (Ben Grimm and Sharon Ventura) have been 'bald' as Things, but have hair in their human forms. Comparing Hulks and Things is like saying that it's stupid for Wolfsbane to have hair when she transforms into a werewolf, because when Billy Batson turns into Shazam, he isn't covered in hair and doesn't grow fangs. But I guess you're calling either CC Beck or Chris Claremont a real rear end in a top hat if you point this out!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think it would be an interesting beat if She-Hulk's origin was that some poor egg turns into a giant green lady one day and is then just like "well, that explains a lot"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Snackmar posted:

I believe he does now. (I think it's also Ross again now, he Hulked out during TNC's run on Cap, I think?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I believe he does now. (I think it's also Ross again now, he Hulked out during TNC's run on Cap, I think?)

Was there a different Red Hulk for a while?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, Robert Maverick in Al Ewing's delightful U.S.Avengers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And he had the stache.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maverick showed up during Bendis' 616 run on Miles Morales, too, guarding a decomissioned helicarrier Uncle Aaron was trying to jack.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Every time Ross turns into Red Hulk he flexes his mustache off, obviously.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

why does Ross, the largest Hulk, not simply eat the other five

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
he has his moustache in Captain America 26

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Loeb get huffy because everybody almost immediately guessed that Rulk was Ross?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Loeb get huffy because everybody almost immediately guessed that Rulk was Ross?

I assumed the reason Rulk didn't have the mustache was, because like his other super hero mystery stories, he didn't actually know the solution when he started writing it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I remember people thinking it was Glenn Talbot, since he didn't have a moustache.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How Wonderful! posted:

I think it would be an interesting beat if She-Hulk's origin was that some poor egg turns into a giant green lady one day and is then just like "well, that explains a lot"

That would be cute. Like someone gets a Shazam power that turns them into the opposite gender and they think it's just a quirk of the powers, but then they're like "ohhhh wait a minute".

Dawgstar posted:

IIRC he rewrote the story to have Ross "die" from a Red Hulk attack specifically because he was mad everyone guessed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That fits a lot better as a Shazam thing, and would be super cute if done right.

Using Shazam to reveal a persons truth is great. Especially if you have a villain get the power and it turns them
Into a manipulative worm would be a great update for Mister Mind.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

That would be cute. Like someone gets a Shazam power that turns them into the opposite gender and they think it's just a quirk of the powers, but then they're like "ohhhh wait a minute".

There's an... okay novel sort of along those lines called Dreadnought where a teen who is too scared to come out as trans to her family winds up inheriting the power of the World's Greatest Hero and one of the perks is getting her idealized body, although with her it's much more of a wish come true.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Open Marriage Night posted:

That fits a lot better as a Shazam thing, and would be super cute if done right.

Using Shazam to reveal a persons truth is great. Especially if you have a villain get the power and it turns them
Into a manipulative worm would be a great update for Mister Mind.

But the Shazam Captain Marvel is DC.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1371537071433744385?s=19

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
what does "of the railways" mean

The text makes him sound like he protects displaced and otherwise homeless people, but "of the railways" makes him sound he carries his shield in a bindle on a stick while freighthopping during the great depression

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So Steve, Bucky, Sam and I guess USAgent are taking a road trip to find Steve's missing shield and meeting regular people along the way who assumed the mantle of Captain America to help them with problems in their own lives.

It's Littlest Hobo in every way that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"What if Superman: Grounded, but good"