Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

fwiw, this stuff is obscure even in mexico. women's wrestling in this period is really murky. i hope that someone does some archival work on this period while some of the people there are still alive, or else that history will be lost forever

Dr. Lucha is working on a book on the history of wrestling at Arena Mexico but who knows if it is ever coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Suplex Liberace posted:

I hate how hard it is to find out wrestling history, you have to scour various fan sites or newsletter archives for lot of stuff and if its not there you have to hope you know someone who knows it or where to find it. Yes I'm still mad about Wikipedia removing wrestlers finishers and signature moves.

Sadly this is a thing in a lot of televised entertainment from the fifties and sixties. The people making television largely thought of it as a broadcast medium: you put it out and then it was done, with low or no market for repeats and absolutely no home recording or commercial release. Therefore there's a lot of stuff that went out live once, never got broadcast again, and in many cases had the tape reused for something else.

The classic UK example of this is Doctor Who, where copies only turn up because an obsessive fan was recording the audio of the episodes, or they sent a tape of it to be broadcast in Australia, or whatever. The US had better fortunes on some of this stuff because syndication to local stations was more of a thing, but there's still a lot of stuff, especially stuff like wrestling, that you saw if you were in the venue, or you saw if you were home and watching the right channel, and then vanished forever. Leaving this gap in our entertainment histories.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a lot of wrestlers out there I would love to see because people tout them as some of the best ever (like I've forgotten how many people say how good Ray Stevens was, but it's a lot and both Heenan and Flair put him over big which is good enough for me) but we'll never see it because the footage doesn't exist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I can find both episodes of Turn-On I can ascend to the Invisible Clergy.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Big Mami is my pick for AAA women's division potential break out star. Her charisma is absolutely off the charts. The crowd was insanely hot for her Hair vs hair match.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Big Mami rules and the fact that AEW didn't have her in their women's battle royal was a terrible mistake I would rather blame on government incompetence because I want to believe AEW would know what a good babyface battle royal spot Big Mami would be.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

was the CDMX tv ban a moral panic thing or a way to protect the profits the major promoter who owned their own arenas? i've heard both

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thauros posted:

was the CDMX tv ban a moral panic thing or a way to protect the profits the major promoter who owned their own arenas? i've heard both

ive always heard it was a moral panic after reports of a kid killing another kid with a shoot chokehold they saw on tv came out

ive also heard that was a smokescreen and the mayor of mexico city thought lucha was making people lazy so he got rid of it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

big same

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yo I watch a lot of indies stuff and it’s fun. Beyond is good stuff. But I have no idea who the homie on the left is and I’m all in for Captain America by Rob Liefield

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1371482570039365643?s=21

That’s a brick loving shithouse of wideness right there.

Edit: I’m talking the guy next to Mike Verna. Who the gently caress is this guy?!?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ICR posted:

Yo I watch a lot of indies stuff and it’s fun. Beyond is good stuff. But I have no idea who the homie on the left is and I’m all in for Captain America by Rob Liefield

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1371482570039365643?s=21

That’s a brick loving shithouse of wideness right there.

Edit: I’m talking the guy next to Mike Verna. Who the gently caress is this guy?!?

Slab Bulkhead!
Fridge Largemeat!
Buff Hardback!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
When did Rex Lawless turn into a fun house mirror version of Trent??

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

trent is bigger than that guy

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Who is Gabe in the context of the previous page? I haven't kept up with who is who in WWE. I remember a few years ago there were rumors of HHH being in the doghouse with Vince but I'm sure that's common.

Googling it gave me lots of news stories about Gabbi Tuft though, good for her.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who is Gabe in the context of the previous page? I haven't kept up with who is who in WWE. I remember a few years ago there were rumors of HHH being in the doghouse with Vince but I'm sure that's common.

Googling it gave me lots of news stories about Gabbi Tuft though, good for her.

Gabe Sapolsky, former EVOLVE promoter, I'm pretty sure.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pylons posted:

Gabe Sapolsky, former EVOLVE promoter, I'm pretty sure.

I think you mean Dragon Gate USA founder Gabe Sapolsky

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Jamie Hernandez of Love and Rockets has been doing Luchadora comics since 1982

He's also got a book coming out later this year that compiles all his Luchadora drawings: https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/coming-soon/products/queen-of-the-ring-wrestling-drawings-by-jaime-hernadez

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Curious if there's any additional context to these videos which all have the comments turned off and have no other information in the description except "Boring WWE Tag Teams: [team name]?"

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Curious if there's any additional context to these videos which all have the comments turned off and have no other information in the description except "Boring WWE Tag Teams: [team name]?"

Was a WWE.com article from that time.

https://www.wwe.com/inside/wwefeaturepage/most-boring-tag-teams

i think thats it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Refuse to stand for this slander of Tekno Team 2000

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
they did one for the Can-Am Express which is the funniest since, well, they were definitely not a boring tag team

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

IceAgeComing posted:

they did one for the Can-Am Express which is the funniest since, well, they were definitely not a boring tag team

Triple H must be still bitter about Tom Zenk's articles.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Refuse to stand for this slander of Tekno Team 2000

Were they the time travellers in WCW?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Vagabundo posted:

No that was the New Breed that come from a future where Dusty Rhodes was the president of the USA.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I found out not too long ago that Bill Watts' failson was one half of Tekno Team 2000 lol

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vagabundo posted:

No, just a harbinger of the dangers of nepotism

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Numero6 posted:

No that was the New Breed that come from a future where Dusty Rhodes was the president of the USA.

AEW needs the Newer Breed who come from another alternate future and are here to protect President Rhodes and Vice President Cassidy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love Test, RIP. Best Big Boot ever. And someone on Reddit was like "he ha a great flying elbow, too."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XUSjFmCsdo&t=184s

Can anyone give me an example of a "bad" top rope elbow? How do you do it wrong?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Gavok posted:

AEW needs the Newer Breed who come from another alternate future and are here to protect President Rhodes and Vice President Cassidy.

Awesome for Cody that he gets to be First Gentleman.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vagabundo posted:

Chris Champion and Sean Royal were The New Breed in FCW/Crockett back in 1986-1987, a very loosely Back to the Future inspired gimmick who claimed to be from the future of 2002 where Dusty Rhodes was president.

(Chris Champion went on to wrestle as Cowabunga the Wrestling Turtle in Memphis, not to be confused with any of the other wrestling ninja turtles, then spent most of the 1990s bouncing around as Foreign Heel Yoshi Kwan, aka the first person to ever lose to Flex Kavana in USWA).

Tekno Team 2000 had basically the same gimmick but a decade later, though I think they were just supposed to be "futuristic" and "representing the future of wrestling", not actual time travelers. They were Erik Watts and Chad Fortune. Erik Watts went on to be an iconic failson of professional wrestling, while Chad Fortune had a successful run as a monster truck driver.

Neither are to be confused with The New Brood, LOD 2000, High Voltage, or PG13

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Can anyone give me an example of a "bad" top rope elbow? How do you do it wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHU9gIX1yvk

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Chris Champion and Sean Royal were The New Breed in FCW/Crockett back in 1986-1987, a very loosely Back to the Future inspired gimmick who claimed to be from the future of 2002 where Dusty Rhodes was president.

(Chris Champion went on to wrestle as Cowabunga the Wrestling Turtle in Memphis, not to be confused with any of the other wrestling ninja turtles, then spent most of the 1990s bouncing around as Foreign Heel Yoshi Kwan, aka the first person to ever lose to Flex Kavana in USWA).

Tekno Team 2000 had basically the same gimmick but a decade later, though I think they were just supposed to be "futuristic" and "representing the future of wrestling", not actual time travelers. They were Erik Watts and Chad Fortune. Erik Watts went on to be an iconic failson of professional wrestling, while Chad Fortune had a successful run as a monster truck driver.

Neither are to be confused with The New Brood, LOD 2000, High Voltage, or PG13

I cannot believe WCW had a Chris Champion and a Todd Champion, and never put them together and had them wear kids' plastic wrestling title belts.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Big Show’s flying elbow would be terrible if it was done by anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_y7TBfMVY

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I Before E posted:

I think you mean Dragon Gate USA founder Gabe Sapolsky

"most likely candidate for who called off the Ambulance at the New Japan Show" Gabe Sapolsky.

Lamuella posted:

Awesome for Cody that he gets to be First Gentleman.

:yeah:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The New Breed were derailed by a bad car accident in 1987. Both came back, Royal didn't wrestle much after 1987 and Champion kinda hung in there for a while longer. Champion briefly was pushed as Yoshi Kwan.

NikkolasKing posted:

Randy Savage injuring everybody in 1999. Here's him messing up Charles Robinson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlyt2b0E3E&t=252s

(Should start at the elbow drop setup. If you want to see purestain WCW 1999 and the rest of the match, that's up to you.)

Robinson talked about the injury a few months ago:

quote:

“We teamed up to take on Madusa and Savage. They called it a mixed tag match. I think they were saying I was part of the other mixed, but of course, Savage and Madusa, they were going over. They were going to be the winners and Savage was going to do the elbow on somebody. And Ric Flair looked at me and said, ‘It ain’t gonna be me.’ I was volunteered to take the elbow drop from Savage, and unfortunately, he landed on me and he put me in the hospital for a couple weeks. He collapsed my lung [and] cracked some vertebrae in my back, and my wrestling career was over.”
https://itrwrestling.com/news/charles-robinson-on-how-macho-man-randy-savage-ended-his-in-ring-career/

e: This may have been after Savage messed up Flair's shoulder with the elbow, which would explain his reticence about taking it again.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 16, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
IIRC at around that time Savage was having issues with his hip, so when he would hit the elbow he would land with almost all of his bodyweight on his elbow versus having his right hip absorb most of his bodyweight on the canvas.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't pick out a specific example, but I've seen a lot of people release the arm before the impact so it just ends up as a kind of lazy splash.

Punk's, as posted earlier, comes off as more of a weird horizontal clothesline.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

sticklefifer posted:

I can't pick out a specific example, but I've seen a lot of people release the arm before the impact so it just ends up as a kind of lazy splash.

Punk's, as posted earlier, comes off as more of a weird horizontal clothesline.

Usually Punk looked like he didn't have his balance and just kinda fell on the dude. It was both scary and hilarious.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

Usually Punk looked like he didn't have his balance and just kinda fell on the dude. It was both scary and hilarious.

In his own feature doc, Punk's friends, specifically his trainer, says he has "lead in his rear end"

Dude had a lot to offer as a performer, but he was not athletic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The New Breed were derailed by a bad car accident in 1987. Both came back, Royal didn't wrestle much after 1987 and Champion kinda hung in there for a while longer. Champion briefly was pushed as Yoshi Kwan.

Randy Savage injuring everybody in 1999. Here's him messing up Charles Robinson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlyt2b0E3E&t=252s

(Should start at the elbow drop setup. If you want to see purestain WCW 1999 and the rest of the match, that's up to you.)

Robinson talked about the injury a few months ago:

https://itrwrestling.com/news/charles-robinson-on-how-macho-man-randy-savage-ended-his-in-ring-career/

e: This may have been after Savage messed up Flair's shoulder with the elbow, which would explain his reticence about taking it again.

1. I forgot about Asya or Aysa or whatever, I assume she died of a mysterious heart attack at 35
2. It looks like Robinson tensed and leaned up to take the elbow, so I don't know what else he could've done