Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nichael posted:

I was thinking just now how much he repeatedly hosed up the "Can other people win?" question. Of course you should loving say no. It's also mystifying that he went harder against Clinton than he did against Biden. Why would you hold back against a literal rapist?

this made me so mad lol i was begging brie on twitter (because she reads replies) to get him to stop loving saying oh yeah joe can totally win!! but i'm sure she couldn't do anything

Flavius Aetass posted:

since no one is reading this, on my 21st birthday i poo poo in my old lego box and then poo poo my pants after passing out in the kitchen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
at some point in the late seventies or early eighties the new york state supreme court decided that just rifling through a dude's pockets, absent it being a search incident to arrest, was a constitutional violation.

the next day one cop writes 'he dropped his baggie of grass on the ground, so I arrested him.' day two, two cops. by the end of the week every drug arrest read in the exact same way.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tricky D posted:

the 'federal government can't do anything right' people are the privatization ghouls. it's the same argument they use to justify selling off infrastructure and maintaining the current for-profit healthcare system. in this case, their motivation is to divert public education funds to private interests. there's really no reason to give these people the benefit of a doubt.

I live around a lot of these people, which is why I'm making the point. You are reading way too much, or way too little into the motivations of people who have had different experiences than you with this system.

When people - actual people, not talking head pundits or very opinionated twitter posters - around here talk about supporting private/charter/etc schools it's usually either about increasing the immediate access of their/other people's kids to quality educations, or it's about insuring their kids' educations don't get worse. There is a small minority of people, here, in Oklahoma, who support these systems purely because they funnel money into religious organizations, and I have met exactly three people since moving here in 2007 who have expressed the desire to have education money go purely to private corporations for philosophical reasons as you are expressing here. It is a phenomenally uncommon viewpoint among people who are not in the beltway or liberal america

Their beliefs may not be correct but they have an understandable foundational basis and when related purely to local politics they are probably correct viewpoints for their families. If I had kids and could afford to send them to a charter school, I would not want the federal government to gently caress things up and put my kids into the 49th worst school system in the US. If I couldn't afford to send them to a charter school, I might be less amenable to systems that furthered privitization, but what I would probably actually want is vouchers to get my kids access to the better education system, because fixing the problems with public education here is gonna take a long time, and your kids need to go to school right now

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Mar 15, 2021

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Mirthless posted:

there is an alarming amount of social politics these days that essentially boils down to this, i'm not really surprised

i've been told that frequenting businesses owned by people of color is racist because it reduces product availability to the :airquote: "intended audience" and causes the store to tailor it's stock towards :airquote: "white products"'

there's always a half-formed correct idea here - that integration and acceptance comes with a loss of cultural identity and the displacement of people who value their cultural identity - but the conclusion (gently caress traditionalism, always) is hard to easily reach with the current established social rules, and we can't just point out that Uncle Roger would be a white supremacist if he was a white guy getting this far up his rear end about cornbread

LOL so does this argument go the other way? Should CVS get rid of all black hair products and Festival get rid of the asian food aisle to spur minorities to shop in their own stores, or would that also be racist?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

the conversation was specifically about what neo-liberal pundits/posters are about. naturally, there are going to be people on the ground convinced by those arguments.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

LOL so does this argument go the other way? Should CVS get rid of all black hair products and Festival get rid of the asian food aisle to spur minorities to shop in their own stores, or would that also be racist?

I mean there's kind of an argument to be made that concentrating products in this specific way is racist or opens the door to exploitative behaviors, and the black hair product industry is a perfect example of this

Here's an industry full of bunk, wild rear end pre-segregation era science that espouses a lot of demonstrably false information to charge minorities significantly more for a "specialized" product that is not often significantly different than any mid-range conditioner, while simultaneously locking any haircare products produced by black owned businesses to a very small section of any store they are sold in, and the degree to which these marketing practices have set within pop culture insure that any company that tries to buck the practice gets labeled as impure and dangerous

Look at what happened to shea moisture

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Parity warning posted:

this made me so mad lol i was begging brie on twitter (because she reads replies) to get him to stop loving saying oh yeah joe can totally win!! but i'm sure she couldn't do anything

I think someone got to him real early this time and convinced him that the reason he lost was that people saw him as too outside the democratic party mainstays they knew as "the good guys." was that person doing this to intentionally screw him or just a dunderhead? we'll probably never know

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tricky D posted:

the conversation was specifically about what neo-liberal pundits/posters are about. naturally, there are going to be people on the ground convinced by those arguments.

Oh, I guess that's fair then, sorry for disrupting the zen of your drive-thru window, I will eat my frosty in shame

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

I looked at this Clayburn guys website and now I have brain damage

who are these checkmark freaks

Clayburn ran as a Republican in 2018.

https://ballotpedia.org/Clayburn_Griffin

lmao

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

pigz posted:

D&D as a forum was never meant to be a place where you get to mindlessly scream and complain about things you don't like, and get pissy when people who know more than you explain to you that the solutions aren't as simple or easy as you think. When someone asks "why hasn't Biden closed the concentration camps yet", and another poster explains at length why doing so is complicated, and the response is "haha lol look at the concentration camp apologist"... that's not "disagreement", it's just high school level idiocy. And banning those users from the forum would not take away from it one it — in fact, it would improve the space considerably.

ive been thinking about this quote all day. its such a perfect distillation of liberal thought

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/5AsPlrw.mp4
explaining how the $1400 i'm getting this week is actually $2000

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pete explaining how to properly handle a newborn puppy

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

pigz posted:

D&D as a forum was never meant to be a place where you get to mindlessly scream and complain about things you don't like, and get pissy when people who know more than you explain to you that the solutions aren't as simple or easy as you think. When someone asks "why hasn't Biden closed the concentration camps yet", and another poster explains at length why doing so is complicated, and the response is "haha lol look at the concentration camp apologist"... that's not "disagreement", it's just high school level idiocy. And banning those users from the forum would not take away from it one it — in fact, it would improve the space considerably.

said shorter: the politics forum would be perfect if no one ever mentioned Biden's concentration camps

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Dolphin posted:

lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ive been thinking about this quote all day. its such a perfect distillation of liberal thought

it honestly seems too on the nose but who can tell anymore

being a serious person sure does involve a lot of not doing anything

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Dolphin posted:

"well the first thing I do is trap it with the claws on my fore legs, and then the gnawing begins"

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
BIDEN 2020! NO MORE KIDS IN CAGES

Biden 2021. Where are we supposed to put the kids in cages? Out on the street? Get real. Be serious

BIDEN 2020: NO MORE KIDS IN CAGES

Biden 2021: the most kids in cages in US history

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

biden 2021: "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'cage' is"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I got a better one, this post happened in 2017 and I think about it at least once a month

Abyssal Squid posted:

Yep. I've been trying to organize my thoughts about how the far left seems to view outcomes as independent from process, and how "you can't get from here to there" is treated as a failure of imagination at best, and counterrevolutionary at worst, but sometimes there simply is no process that will achieve a certain outcome. For a hopefully uncontroversial example, there is no way to get North Korea to give up their nukes or their missiles now, because to do so would be to sign their own death warrant. Negotiations, sanctions, coercion nuclear war, Kim Jong Un isn't going to just roll over and die without putting up a fight.

A lot of people apparently liked this cartoon (I tried pulling it directly from twitter but there's no text hooks on the tweet and that account has a zillion posts so I'm not going to infinite scroll a goddamn month and a half back):

"Look how much simpler (and therefore better) it is when you just say what you want, and ignore the steps necessary for making that work!"

Like don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of public libraries, but subsidizing book consumption would be way simpler to implement than running public libraries. Both plans would require funding, but that's about all a well-designed subsidy would need. With libraries you need to build physical facilities, you need to decide where to build those physical facilities, you need to staff them, you need to decide what books to buy and how many, you need to decide when to remove books from circulation, and so on. That cartoon's probably the clearest example I've seen of "My ideas are better than yours because I'm counting on Implementation Fairies to make everything work" on the left. On the right, of course, we have Donald Trump promising endless winning and better health care, and of course Ronald Reagan's famous rebuttal to Jimmy Carter's health care proposal, "There you go again. "

(Here's some things that are great about public libraries: they're a public space, which is something American society desperately needs. They're a quiet public space. They're free to use, so you can explore lots of books with minimal investment. They're free to use, so children have access to books. Librarians are less mercenary than publishers so they're more likely to promote books on merit rather than profit. Librarians can help patrons research and guide them to books they might be interested in. Note how none of these things is "library systems are easy to set up and maintain.")

In summary his reaction to people telling him his political opinions would lead to shuffling money around publishers instead of building libraries is that actually it is nearly impossible to build a library

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Stevie Lee posted:

https://i.imgur.com/5AsPlrw.mp4
explaining how the $1400 i'm getting this week is actually $2000

this is also how you make a pete-nut butter sangwich

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The claim: Biden's overflow centers are gilded cages

Snopes rating: Mostly False

While President Biden has been forced by the influx of refugees to open additional overflow facilities for unaccompanied minors, they are neither made of nor plated in gold.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

loquacius posted:

plot of luigi's mansion 3: luigi must get bloody revenge on the wa brothers before he can successfully download the boo ghost of Mario into a clone body with the help of Professor E Gadd (who has an eyepatch and a robot arm now as per my deviantart concepts original idea do not steal)

e: wrong thread but I'm leaving it

This really is the best post.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

pigz posted:

You got da brain worms bruddah

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm sure the man who wrote the crime bill is very concerned about the concentration camps. We just gotta be patient and trust that the systems are larger than our meager comprehensions.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

loquacius posted:

I got a better one, this post happened in 2017 and I think about it at least once a month

In summary his reaction to people telling him his political opinions would lead to shuffling money around publishers instead of building libraries is that actually it is nearly impossible to build a library

Absolutely incredible

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

is pepsi ok posted:

"well the first thing I do is trap it with the claws on my fore legs, and then the gnawing begins"

[Dems] and then the gnawing begins

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

lmao possible things arent possible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

go ahead and read the rest of that page too if you wanna see the kind of poo poo I was willfully exposing myself to for some reason in those days

never again

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean have any of you ever built a library? have you?

i tried. it is goddamn impossible. first you need money. i'm loving BROKE.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

You got da brain worms bruddah

its from QCS :ssh:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dolphin posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1371563159593574405

i am so jealous that the bruenigs managed to become professional c-spam posters

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

lmao possible things arent possible

it's the same thinking that makes liberals absolutely love stories like "neighborhood sets up free library" and "man walks 11 hours a day to work every day for 20 years", because other people doing hard work makes them feel better than doing hard work themselves

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Remember when the internet achieve tried to create a functioning e-library and the forces of capital killed it with one idiot liberal genre writer taking three fall for it. That's totally the sign of a healthy country and not foreboding at all

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

we've gone from "this thing that pretty much every other developed nation on earth accomplished decades ago is a completely impossible pipe dream" to "this thing that our own nation accomplished centuries ago is a completely impossible pipe dream"

would I be using the term "learned helplessness" correctly if I applied it here because it seems accurate!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

KomradeX posted:

Remember when the internet achieve tried to create a functioning e-library and the forces of capital killed it with one idiot liberal genre writer taking three fall for it. That's totally the sign of a healthy country and not foreboding at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Library I had no idea this happened

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

KomradeX posted:

remember when the city of memphis was memoryholed from twitter

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I love how Bidenco wants to raise taxes instead of maybe stopping some military operations, closing a few military bases, decommissioning a few ships, and indefinitely postponing some future weapons orders.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

remember when the city of memphis was memoryholed from twitter

never forget the bowling green massacre that happened there

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

loquacius posted:

we've gone from "this thing that pretty much every other developed nation on earth accomplished decades ago is a completely impossible pipe dream" to "this thing that our own nation accomplished centuries ago is a completely impossible pipe dream"

would I be using the term "learned helplessness" correctly if I applied it here because it seems accurate!

Kind of, things have been broken for so long that people either have forgotten or just never knew things used to work. That the government was able to do things beyond being an organization of domestic and foreign Death Squads