Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I went sailing and found a large Swamp island, attached through a small Dark Forest segment, with absolutely miniature Meadows, Mountains, and Plains biomes in the south. The Meadows segment a natural bay, where I setup a main base/portal/smelters. I checked the two tiny Mountains peaks and my Wishbone doesn't think there's any silver. Oh well, time to go exploring the swamp - the real reason I chose this island. The Swamps are only about a 90 second run from my new Meadows base.

Jackpot: counted out 15 crypts, and a Bonemass altar. After finding a whole 2 entire crypts on our large main continent, this new Swamp is basically Swamphalla.

I found a few tiny shacks on stilts, and a sunken tower (my only swamps death - I went for a swim, and two skeletons followed me blocking the only stairs out of the water - oops!) and then came across a mighty stone tower, still standing after all these years. It is now my home and resembles a large mushroom.

Bonus: Since I'm there at night, Wraiths keep coming up to my base to hang out. I've gotten more Chains than I know what to do with, and even got an ultra-cool Wraith trophy. I immediately figured this out with a Surtling trophy:

Game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Swamp has poison and the permanent wet debuff. Mountain has the firsrst enemies that can hunt you down if you run and stone golems as the meaner version of trolls. Also the first time something interferes with naked corpse runs.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Well poo poo, that sounds like I can finally get chains by just sitting around in the swamp at night. Do they only show up like other enemies when you're making a ruckus working on stuff?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Well poo poo, that sounds like I can finally get chains by just sitting around in the swamp at night. Do they only show up like other enemies when you're making a ruckus working on stuff?

I don't have much to go on as I'm usually indoors at night. Maybe? I know they only spawn at night, and will flee immediately at dawn.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I run around in the swamps at night to get 1-2 chains per night. Look up in the air for floating mobs, sometimes the wraiths will be pretty high off the ground. I've also had wraith attack while sitting AFK in a treehouse above a fire spout. That might be a good way to farm chains while multitasking.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mongoose posted:

I run around in the swamps at night to get 1-2 chains per night. Look up in the air for floating mobs, sometimes the wraiths will be pretty high off the ground. I've also had wraith attack while sitting AFK in a treehouse above a fire spout. That might be a good way to farm chains while multitasking.

Wait, did you dig out a surtling spawn so they die immediately, then put a house over the top so that wraiths spawn and die too? Lol

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The landscape and tone of areas matters a lot I think. Hopping around the mountain once appropriately geared makes you feel like a competent, sick rear end ranger or something on an adventure. The swamp when attempted at the appropriate level, no pun intended, makes you feel very bogged down and more survival minded. Not that that's a bad thing. They did a good job of contrasting the currently finished areas in terms of gameplay feel.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Have there been any updates or patches or any word on the housing update?

Frankly if the game never saw another update I'd be happy with my purchase, but now I'm looking forward to what might be.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Wait, did you dig out a surtling spawn so they die immediately, then put a house over the top so that wraiths spawn and die too? Lol

I wish I had thought of a system like that. No, I was just AFKing in the treehouse when I heard the wraith attacking me, so I tabbed back in game to manually kill it. An AFK wraith farm would be great.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

When it came time to fight the mountain boss in my two-person game, we decided to make the run from the beach/portal/boat area up to the boss spawn (at the peak of the mountain) easier. Luckily, there was a ruined castle at the top where we could stage our boss base.

I built it from the top down, which proved to be really annoying on the vertical sections, and I had to do a lot of making tiny platforms to stand on so I could line up the stairs properly.

Honestly, probably more work than it's worth, because we're pretty unlikely to ever come back there, but hey. It exists if we want to!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

genericnick posted:

Swamp has poison and the permanent wet debuff. Mountain has the firsrst enemies that can hunt you down if you run and stone golems as the meaner version of trolls. Also the first time something interferes with naked corpse runs.

Mountains taught me the /resetspawn command exists.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Saxophone posted:

Have there been any updates or patches or any word on the housing update?

Frankly if the game never saw another update I'd be happy with my purchase, but now I'm looking forward to what might be.

There have been no non-bugfix updates and no word beyond the undated roadmap.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol the devs are probably still panicking

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I dislike both the Swamp and the Mountains. The Swamp because of the permanent darkness plus puddles everywhere, the Mountains because of the inability to swing up / down.

Hell, I don't have any Silver gear and I prefer to roam the Plains, where enemies are fun and challenging.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol the devs are probably still panicking

I have definitely readied myself for a "disappeared somewhere tropical, game entirely abandoned" situation.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saxophone posted:

I have definitely readied myself for a "disappeared somewhere tropical, game entirely abandoned" situation.

I really doubt it. If the devs wanted to cash out they could just sell to Microsoft for an absolute shitload of money.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Saxophone posted:

Honestly could you even blame them if they did?

In seriousness though if they were as blind-sided by the runaway success they've had at it seems, and they want to keep at it, they're probably dealing with figuring out how to reinvest that money in their studio.

Expanding is a way a lot of successful small businesses die and having a boatload of money to throw at problems can actually make them worse if you don't plan right/have any idea how to run the business side.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Furism posted:

don't worry, I'm not a crazy person, my kid loves to be scarred, he asks for it, and he never has nightmares kthx

My six year old keeps trying to convince me to buy horror games (currently Little Nightmares 1 and 2) because "it makes me scared but excited". He's actually really scared of stuff in real life, but games give him the opportunity to brave in the face of scary things since he knows they can't really hurt him so he likes it a lot. He's currently getting a kick out of this game and how its almost but not quite too scary.

Nighthand posted:

I built it from the top down, which proved to be really annoying on the vertical sections, and I had to do a lot of making tiny platforms to stand on so I could line up the stairs properly.

Why did you build down instead of up? It's easy enough to adjust the height and position of stairs if you're not quite lined up.

I like intentionally making my stairways look as rickety and ramshackle as possible whenever I do this. Lots of stairs coming off platforms at odd angles, little short sections adjusting the height, sections that aren't actual floor but are just crossbeams.

Related to the above:
I really wish you could build more easily build angled floors/ramps in this game though, having to finangle beams into position can be finnicky as hell and I'd love something actually flat, maybe with a more gradual slope. Also, are there plans to add proper vertical ladders at some point? Or at least a better animation for the current "ladders" that make them less tricky to walk up.

Heart and home is supposed to have a bunch of new building pieces and that's coming out next, right?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 15, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fennesz posted:

I really doubt it. If the devs wanted to cash out they could just sell to Microsoft for an absolute shitload of money.

They've sort of already sold out, Coffee Stain is a Swedish publisher that the five person team that made the game hooked up with. Who knows how the contract has divided up the massive take this game brought in.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Sprint stamina and work/fight stamina need to be different. I hate having to power walk everywhere because I need that stamina to fight with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

They've sort of already sold out, Coffee Stain is a Swedish publisher that the five person team that made the game hooked up with. Who knows how the contract has divided up the massive take this game brought in.

So what does a Publisher do for these folks? Just dealing with all the poo poo of getting your game onto platforms or is it mostly about how much press they'll drum up? Seems like they would've had a runaway success on word of mouth alone, but I mean, I have no way of knowing how much it help or influence it had to get that ball rolling.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Phigs posted:

Sprint stamina and work/fight stamina need to be different. I hate having to power walk everywhere because I need that stamina to fight with.

This is to encourage you to eat better food, which is a big part of the game's "economy". Carrot soup is cheap to make and has a great stam buff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khanstant posted:

So what does a Publisher do for these folks? Just dealing with all the poo poo of getting your game onto platforms or is it mostly about how much press they'll drum up? Seems like they would've had a runaway success on word of mouth alone, but I mean, I have no way of knowing how much it help or influence it had to get that ball rolling.

They likely also provided QA assistance and may have done the localizations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm always triple food buffed with good food. But no matter how big my stamina bar is it will deplete from sprinting if I'm traveling any distance.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tips for bonemass?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Phigs posted:

I'm always triple food buffed with good food. But no matter how big my stamina bar is it will deplete from sprinting if I'm traveling any distance.

Need a party of 4 to keep that deer buff up at all times too

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

punishedkissinger posted:

tips for bonemass?

Poison resist potions for everyone and good food. Frost arrows and iron mace do best against its damage resistance.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

tips for bonemass?

Drink more milk!

Also poison resist mead.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phigs posted:

This is with the eithkyr buff is so insane, I like to run it in boss fights just so I can move easily without worrying

tips for bonemass?

flatten a big area around his summon with a hoe. If he hits you he can knock you back into water which can be deadly.

Have a shack,fire and bed (in case you die) nearby but not too nearby if you need to go get rested buff again, which you shouldn't but hey won't hurt

Turnip stew, carrot soup, sausages, at least 5 of each, plus poison resist mead, medium health and minor stamina. Level 3 iron mace , level 2 banded shield. Get up in his face and parry his very slow melee attacks. Run from his poison spit, and also when he lobs a thing that spawns extra mobs, go kill them quick but remember he will hit you from behind

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 15, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

tips for bonemass?

1. Poison Meads + HP Meads + Tasty Meads
2a. Ice Arrows (LOTS) or
2b. Mace + Shield
3a. Use hoe to flatten the ground and remove puddles, or
3b. Build a fort high off the ground to rain frosty arrows down

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

xzzy posted:

I don't think engaging a publisher is the same as selling out. They could still choose to sell the studio in addition to that.

Anyway, here's a blurb from a recent interview about the studio:

While supporting the game, “Valheim” developers have had to work some weekends and put in extra time. But the studio has a no crunch policy, referring to a practice in the games industry that involves working extensive overtime to make deadlines, according to Törnqvist.

Iron Gate is now hiring for another programmer, animator and a quality assurance manager to “handle the flood of incoming bugs,” Törnqvist said. But while Iron Gate is looking to expand, the developers have said they don’t see an acquisition in their future.

“The main drawback of working at the bigger AAA studio is that it’s very easy for individual employees to feel like just a cog in a bigger piece of machinery,” Törnqvist said. Having a small team means decisions get made quickly and fewer approvals are needed.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 15, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't think engaging a publisher is the same as selling out. They could still choose to sell the studio in addition to that.

Anyway, here's a blurb from a recent interview about the studio:

While supporting the game, “Valheim” developers have had to work some weekends and put in extra time. But the studio has a no crunch policy, referring to a practice in the games industry that involves working extensive overtime to make deadlines, according to Törnqvist.

Iron Gate is now hiring for another programmer, animator and a quality assurance manager to “handle the flood of incoming bugs,” Törnqvist said. But while Iron Gate is looking to expand, the developers have said they don’t see an acquisition in their future.

“The main drawback of working at the bigger AAA studio is that it’s very easy for individual employees to feel like just a cog in a bigger piece of machinery,” Törnqvist said. Having a small team means decisions get made quickly and fewer approvals are needed.

A 5 person studio with a no crunch policy (which is a good thing btw) hiring and onboarding 3 new employees... yeah, that'd slow down development for a minute.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phigs posted:

The work stamina is particularly ridiculous. Holding shift to flatten ground is really useful, but also it makes you sprint everywhere, and you won't rebuild any stamina unless you release shift, even if you're holding still...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do stoneworks or angled wood beams degrade in the rain? I just made a circular temple thing for my portal room I'm proud of (even though it's nothing compared to some of the insane things posted here) and I'm already looking at being able to upgrade/raise it to make it look fancier as I get further in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stamina usage goes down as you skill up, but in general the game heavily penalizes spamming anything. They also seem to really want you to have the rested buff and good food active at all times and both of those do a lot to keep stamina high.

I can get why people hate it but I rather like how everything ties together to force players to pace themselves. When mining or terraforming or whatever I naturally fall into a pace where I click slow enough to keep my stamina from draining completely and it's kinda relaxing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bioshuffle posted:

I have some necks that spawn near my base where I park the boat, and I think they destroyed my boat. Is there a way to get them to stop spawning?
I read that grass spawns enemies, so maybe try pathening a stretch around it? Also I have Neck that spawn inside my walls (I left grass as an aesthetic choice) and they aren't aggressive with my boat at all. The wandering Greydwarfs/Greylings from the very-nearby woods (and goddamn trolls) on the other hand need to be dealt with pretty much immediately.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thanks for the tips! i've heard iron armor isnt necessary to beat bonedaddy, is it still recommended?

any thoughts on the serpent scale shield?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nighthand posted:

When it came time to fight the mountain boss in my two-person game, we decided to make the run from the beach/portal/boat area up to the boss spawn (at the peak of the mountain) easier. Luckily, there was a ruined castle at the top where we could stage our boss base.

Honestly, probably more work than it's worth, because we're pretty unlikely to ever come back there, but hey. It exists if we want to!

Are you going up the 7000 steps? I have a delivery to make and would appreciate it if you could make it for me. The greybeards are relying on this delivery...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thanks for the tips! i've heard iron armor isnt necessary to beat bonedaddy, is it still recommended?

tower shield, so no parry, so probably bad, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I did it with a two person team using troll armor and bronze armor, respectively. 90% of the damage in the encounter comes from poison, so stacking extra armor helps less than you'd think. Invest in getting the most upgraded blunt weapon you can (he has huge resist to pierce and slash), the most upgraded shield you can (you can fully block his melee attacks with an upgraded iron shield) and stacks of health, poison resist, and possibly stamina mead. Take your time and pace yourself. Don't fight him an an area with a ton of water, if possible.