Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In my current run, my pawns are refusing to cook meat. I've checked, and meat is one of the allowed items on the stove. Any guesses what could be happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Access to the stockpile zone with the meat in it?
No forbidden zones or forbidden doors?
Is there a range limit for the ingredients set on the recipe for the meat?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

A jargogle posted:

Access to the stockpile zone with the meat in it?
No forbidden zones or forbidden doors?
Is there a range limit for the ingredients set on the recipe for the meat?
Also things to check:

Attempt to touch The Forbidden Meat?
Is the recipe paused/suspended?
Have you tried the fallback/catchall fix of nuking your kitchen and building a new one? Literally blowing it up is not necessary, but can be cathartic when the game breaks every time you even think about the words "mod load order".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taking screenshots can also help narrow down an answer

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Bean bags are supposed to be non-lethal ish. And while they don't cause bleeding they can still shot off both arms on a prisoner and both eyes in a single volley.

Again with no bleeding, just clean off and cauterized or something.

The reason I got bean bag shotgun turrets was that my android pawns couldn't melee prisoners into submission without pulling them apart limb from limb.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

silentsnack posted:

Have you tried the fallback/catchall fix of nuking your kitchen and building a new one? Literally blowing it up is not necessary, but can be cathartic when the game breaks every time you even think about the words "mod load order".

(giggles) Is The Forbidden Meat human? It gets even stranger. If I forbid vegetables, they cook the meat just fine, and they cook fine meals, too. It's just that if there's a stack of meat and a stack of vegetables, they'll cook the vegetables until the meat rots.

I had another one of those visitors.

Poor ol' Dolly wandered in. She's from a faction I don't want to annoy. Periodically, she gets up, slowly walks away, becomes confused, and lies down and is incapacitated. I've just given up and allocated her her own sleeping spot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Could you explain this a bit more?

I meant just build them and then uninstall them so they sit in your stockpile for your dudes to carry out and place down.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(giggles) Is The Forbidden Meat human? It gets even stranger. If I forbid vegetables, they cook the meat just fine, and they cook fine meals, too. It's just that if there's a stack of meat and a stack of vegetables, they'll cook the vegetables until the meat rots.

Poor ol' Dolly wandered in. She's from a faction I don't want to annoy. Periodically, she gets up, slowly walks away, becomes confused, and lies down and is incapacitated. I've just given up and allocated her her own sleeping spot.

Put her out her misery, turn her into fine millinery and send them the results. Net positive relationship gain, happy ending for everyone.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Put her out her misery, turn her into fine millinery and send them the results. Net positive relationship gain, happy ending for everyone.

Can you antheteize them, put them into a lauch pod and send them back to their faction?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So I just had my Royal pawn get brain-shot by a fleeing raider with a single shot from a revolver. Some questions.

Do pawns stored in a sarcophagi inside a freezer rot?
Will the rejuvination serum grow a new brain?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
If someone inherits a high level title, does their psycast level also get promoted all the way up to what that title allows?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It gets even stranger. If I forbid vegetables, they cook the meat just fine, and they cook fine meals, too. It's just that if there's a stack of meat and a stack of vegetables, they'll cook the vegetables until the meat rots.

Unless I'm misremembering it requires a mod make recipes prefer certain ingredients based on itemtype, because Rimworld pawns don't put much thought into most decisions and their idea of the optimal choice is "search/filter by [criteria] and pick the option with shortest travel time" regardless of any other considerations?

A workaround without mods would be copypasting the bill so there are two identical bills except for ingredient settings: so your workbench has one [simple meals w/meat] just above the other [simple meals w/veg] (bills are read from top-to-bottom and skip unavailable/etc) and both bills have the same "make until X" and whatever other options, it will use meat as long as some is available and then fall through to veg, and either way it will stop at X? This gives the finest control which can be helpful if you have irregular meat supply/demand with wargs or recipes that require non-insect meat, but is also the most tedious to reconfigure since you have to deal with two bills

Or if you don't want to end up with like 3 units of meat leftover that never get used, enable both on a single bill but rearrange your base so your Vegetable Isolation Zone is ~2x as far from the kitchen as your meat shed, so when the cook will generally follow your preferences due to math.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(giggles) Is The Forbidden Meat human?
Nah i just occasionally place excessive dramatic emphasis on silly things because Random Strings Of Capitalized Words implies the existence of some specific Thing which exists outside the context of the sentence itself... as a way to inject some surreal comedy into an otherwise bland statement in a non-serious conversation. The point is basically to use Ambiguous Syntax to cause readers to contemplate some absurd wtf-is-this-bullshit and come up with their own interpretation, and it doesn't always work but apparently this time was a success. For some reason I find this gag generates the most amusing reactions when the words/phrasing can be read multiple different ways and at least some of those readings have severe comedy/horror implications. The word/subject "meat" seems to be strangely effective and usually safe, except when it is very much not safe.

There is some potential risk of being misunderstood in a not-fun way, like accidentally invoking some slur/metaphor you never knew existed; so if you're gonna use it exercise caution. Also there's a chance people will think you're a crazy weirdo, if they don't already, but if you're still reading this nonsense it's already too late to keep the Meat Capitalization Meme plague from invading your vocabulary.

tldr. Power Word: Meat TimeCube

TSBX posted:

So I just had my Royal pawn get brain-shot by a fleeing raider with a single shot from a revolver. Some questions.
Do pawns stored in a sarcophagi inside a freezer rot? yes and no. If they stay frozen they never rot, but will decay (depending on temperature) if they thaw due to solar flares/etc. So as long as your freezer stays cold, keeping them on ice a few years should be relatively safe.
Will the rejuvination serum grow a new brain? conditional yes If you mean Resurrector Mech Serum used on a dead pawn then yes, it regrows all missing parts. Resurrector serum will not heal brain damage (or alzheimers) unless the brain is entirely destroyed/missing. If you mean Healer Mech Serum then it can regrow parts and remove braindamage but will only cure the "worst" injury depending some dumb logic so if they're missing limbs you need to give them prosthetics before using the injector. Since both of these limitations are kinda obtuse and unfun:

Either way just try it and if it doesn't work then curse Tynan's name and fix it in devmode. First you need to enable the Developer Mode option in game settings, then exit the menus and find the row of buttons at the top/middle of the screen. There are two with a kinda [*] shape and you want the one on the left. Use the searchbar in the top left corner to find the "restore body part" command and use that and it should give you a different cursor that prompts you to choose the pawn to heal.

super fart shooter posted:

If someone inherits a high level title, does their psycast level also get promoted all the way up to what that title allows?

The heir should get a bestowal ceremony quest once their honor gets added. Completing the ceremony is when the psy abilities get upgraded to match the new title.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 15, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So they're willing to cook with meat, but you'd prefer that they cook with meat before vegetables?

Some solutions:
1) Make a high priority stockpile for meat that's closer to the stove than your vegetables; pawns grab whatever is closest
2) Make a proper freezer with temperature < 0 C to store your meat in, so that it never rots
3) Forbid your vegetable stacks until the meat is cooked
4) Create a meal recipe on your stove that only accepts meat, and place it higher in the queue than your meal recipe that accepts (vegetables and meat)
5) Start making fine meals instead of simple meals, since those require meat as well as vegetables. Then you're guaranteed to always be using up meat
6) Start making pemmican or survival meals, since those require meat as well as vegetables and don't rot (or in pemmican's case, *almost* doesn't rot)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 15, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Sometimes when I have food storage issues I set up a meat only bill for meals and make it a higher priority. That makes sure at least some of it gets used before it rots.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

this seems like one of the situations i end up fixing the broken puppy just because i can. though the dementia being intractable is a big bummer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Frances Nurples posted:

Sometimes when I have food storage issues I set up a meat only bill for meals and make it a higher priority. That makes sure at least some of it gets used before it rots.

Aha. That should do it. I've advanced to refrigerators in this game (Naked and Afraid with the original pawn dead), but I'll remember that trick for next time

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Can you antheteize them, put them into a lauch pod and send them back to their faction?

Dunno, never tried. I've always gone with option A :v:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Doing my first run completely vanilla, and so far the biggest surprise is that a game with extensive agricultural systems doesn’t have fencing, as far as I can tell.

The second-biggest surprise was that batteries aren’t waterproof.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you thing the game w/o hands is gonna have fencing?

(like 5 mods with it)

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rescue them to a bedspot near the map edge to improve the chance of them exiting the map when they snap out of it. Can you give them luciferium?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah if you are most interested in just getting rid of them, this sort of edge case is why I build what I call a “bye bye box”.

It is literally nothing more than a 3x3 box on the very edge of the map with a wooden door set to hold open. I mostly use it for prisoner exile. If I have a colonist I want gone, I set a sleeping spot down and have them hauled out there. Pretty fast the prisoner decides this poo poo is bogus I’m outta here and they make a prison break for the edge of the map 5 tiles away. This provides a way to get rid of undesired colonists at literally no downside. There’s no mood malus for arresting people, even without cause, and if the prisoner bolts nobody thinks less of themselves.

The bye bye box would work just as well in this edge case because your old girl would have enough lucidity to walk like 10 spaces before dementia got her and once she’s off your map she’s not your problem.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

Doing my first run completely vanilla, and so far the biggest surprise is that a game with extensive agricultural systems doesn’t have fencing, as far as I can tell.

Zones. Zones are your friend. They're part of the vanilla game.

To keep random animals out of your gardens, build walls around your compound. To keep your animals out of the garden, set up a Zone using the Zones tab. Click "Manage Zones" and create a zone called "Animals". Use "Expand Allowed Area" to select places where the animals should definitely not go. When you're finished, go back to "Manage Zones" and invert your zone. Now assign all your animals to the zone Animals.

I can do a proper piece of technical writing if that isn't enough to help.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Zones. Zones are your friend. They're part of the vanilla game.

To keep random animals out of your gardens, build walls around your compound. To keep your animals out of the garden, set up a Zone using the Zones tab. Click "Manage Zones" and create a zone called "Animals". Use "Expand Allowed Area" to select places where the animals should definitely not go. When you're finished, go back to "Manage Zones" and invert your zone. Now assign all your animals to the zone Animals.

I can do a proper piece of technical writing if that isn't enough to help.

Yes, I figured that out on my own. It's still dumb that a space-age game doesn't have feudal-age agricultural technology.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is it a rimworld of magic mod that is breaking my saves? Something is fairly consistently stopping events happen and it has by far the most weird stuff going on. My last game I stopped getting any error messages but events still stopped and I tried to start a new one and when things spawned on the map to visit or whatever the game just gave a ton of errors because they couldn't enter that square you can't build past

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

Yes, I figured that out on my own. It's still dumb that a space-age game doesn't have feudal-age agricultural technology.

I honestly do not understand this complaint. What would a fence do that a wall can't? Or maybe you just want a gate, like a special type of door that animals can't use? That seems cool but is exactly the kind of specialty boutique thing that mods are well-suited for

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this guy literally just didnt do limbs on the pawns out of laziness. no limbs on the pawns

you think he will do a single thing that he doesnt have to

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jose posted:

is it a rimworld of magic mod that is breaking my saves? Something is fairly consistently stopping events happen and it has by far the most weird stuff going on. My last game I stopped getting any error messages but events still stopped and I tried to start a new one and when things spawned on the map to visit or whatever the game just gave a ton of errors because they couldn't enter that square you can't build past
It's quite possible considering rimworld of magic is a fairly big and comprehensive mod, but honestly it could be any number of things including interactions between two or more mods that would be individually fine on their own. Only real way to check would be to see if the error messages in the dev console had useful info, or starting a new game without the mod and see if the problem persists.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Asimo posted:

It's quite possible considering rimworld of magic is a fairly big and comprehensive mod, but honestly it could be any number of things including interactions between two or more mods that would be individually fine on their own. Only real way to check would be to see if the error messages in the dev console had useful info, or starting a new game without the mod and see if the problem persists.

its shame because i like the stuff it adds but it is fairly broken in terms of how powerful it can make colonists and how you can make a ton of money pretty easily early on

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuarkJets posted:

I honestly do not understand this complaint. What would a fence do that a wall can't? Or maybe you just want a gate, like a special type of door that animals can't use? That seems cool but is exactly the kind of specialty boutique thing that mods are well-suited for

I suppose fences might be cheaper to build than walls. Of course if there was realism fences would also be a lot shittier than walls. Getting foxes in your hen house or a wander heard of thrumbos just casually busting through the fence because they see a yummy tree on the other side.

Stone walls are good. When drop pod raids start it's real handy to have your fields and whatnot divided up with stone walls. Drops get separated and slowed down trying to bust through the doors.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I honestly do not understand this complaint. What would a fence do that a wall can't?
not impede combat visibility and pathing for pawns, both of which are actually pretty important for base planning. there've been a number of times that i've wanted to put up a fence around the outer palisades to keep poo poo like loving rhinos from stumbling into my kill hallways.

being able to be an even quicker perimeter setup would be a nice bonus. 1 wood per section and goes up in half the time would make it a lot easier to set up a perimeter in the first quadrum or so, and even if raiders just jump the fence not having to worry about a goddamned warg wandering into the compound is a pretty big load off my mind in the early game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

not impede combat visibility and pathing for pawns, both of which are actually pretty important for base planning. there've been a number of times that i've wanted to put up a fence around the outer palisades to keep poo poo like loving rhinos from stumbling into my kill hallways.

being able to be an even quicker perimeter setup would be a nice bonus. 1 wood per section and goes up in half the time would make it a lot easier to set up a perimeter in the first quadrum or so, and even if raiders just jump the fence not having to worry about a goddamned warg wandering into the compound is a pretty big load off my mind in the early game.

If you just want light wooden cover that pawns can see over or hop over, isn't that provided by barricades? I don't think that a warg should be stoppable by a wooden fence

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You should absolutely be able to stop a warg from casually wandering into the middle of your base with a fence. If it is sent manhunter then that’s different, sure, let it hop the fence with everything else, but it should not be able to waltz into the middle of my base and force me to shoot it lest it decide my best crafter’s head looks tasty.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why would a massive creature made of pure muscle give a poo poo about a few planks of wood

IRL goats with horns are known for their ability to just casually knock open fences even when they're not mad, and that's just a goat. I don't think a fence should have any chance against a warg

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Coolguye posted:

You should absolutely be able to stop a warg from casually wandering into the middle of your base with a fence. If it is sent manhunter then that’s different, sure, let it hop the fence with everything else, but it should not be able to waltz into the middle of my base and force me to shoot it lest it decide my best crafter’s head looks tasty.

There used to be a mod that let you non violently shoo animals away, for just this situation.

QuarkJets posted:

Why would a massive creature made of pure muscle give a poo poo about a few planks of wood

IRL goats with horns are known for their ability to just casually knock open fences even when they're not mad, and that's just a goat. I don't think a fence should have any chance against a warg

If it's in man hunter mode or even has just chosen one of your pawns or animals as food because there's nothing else around that's fine, but a fence should be able to keep out the idle random pathing creatures do in between meals.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

The same reason they wouldn’t go poking through a thick underbrush or random thicket - it’s kind of a pain in the rear end and when calm they have zero motivation to mess with it.

Goats are a special case because they butt things just for fun and fences make a convenient target.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

There used to be a mod that let you non violently shoo animals away, for just this situation.

Still is. Shoo!

I stopped using it because, as with taming, there's a chance the animal will get violent.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I can't decide whether to buckle down and research spaceflight, try a direct month-long trek to the dormant ship a friendly AI has offered to me, or abandon my colony and rebuild at a closer staging point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you have a Knight then odds are that you can use Transport Pods to get you within Transport Shuttle range of the ship unless you were super unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If someone sends me a cobra to care for is that going to be a danger?