Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Happy Thread posted:

According to "Cracking the Coding Interview", after a Google hiring committee recommends you an offer, your packet goes to a compensation committee, and then to the "executive management committee". That means the execs of Google have final veto power over every incoming employee.

Top Google company execs do double-duty for the spying industry and probably have access to your search history on the downlow and do a whole bunch of other shady poo poo all the time using the resources that only execs quietly have access to. Maybe there's some super exclusive room where the insiders meet to sneakily vet each incoming class of employees via quick searches through their combined web histories, filtering out really risky people who could cost them money somehow. There's your blacklist

How do the freemasons and the Rothschild family fit in though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Haha excellent page snipe

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

How do the freemasons and the Rothschild family fit in though?

Google sends a message to the Trilateral Commission when you do a search for those terms and in exchange they make sure the literal entire software industry doesn’t hire you

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

csammis posted:

Google sends a message to the Trilateral Commission when you do a search for those terms and in exchange they make sure the literal entire software industry doesn’t hire you

Is this because I used Bing that one time?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shadow0 posted:

How do I check if I've been added to some kind of industry-wide blacklist?

Get thee here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

A lot of people do stupid things during the hiring process without realizing they are harming/handicapping themselves. Post a redacted resume and listen to the advice.

Hiring for junior people is super hosed right now. Still, use every edge you can.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Happy Thread posted:

According to "Cracking the Coding Interview", after a Google hiring committee recommends you an offer, your packet goes to a compensation committee, and then to the "executive management committee". That means the execs of Google have final veto power over every incoming employee.

Top Google company execs do double-duty for the spying industry and probably have access to your search history on the downlow and do a whole bunch of other shady poo poo all the time using the resources that only execs quietly have access to. Maybe there's some super exclusive room where the insiders meet to sneakily vet each incoming class of employees via quick searches through their combined web histories, filtering out really risky people who could cost them money somehow. There's your blacklist

Still not industry wide even if true.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
What’s the average percentage salary increase someone should expect from a promotion from Engineer 1 to Engineer 2? I was just told that I got promoted and HR will send me details next week and I just wanna know if I should expect to get dirty dicked with another 3% increase. For reference I work for a Fortune 500 megacorp that pretends to have a soul or something but gives 2-3% merit increases and has a certain allotment of “extremely valued” reviews or whatever.

rally fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 6, 2021

mes
Apr 28, 2006

My non-software engineering, but aerospace engineering, experience would have me believe that a 10% increase is pretty typical when going up a level and staying in the same company. Which is also why a lot of people will encourage you to job hop a bit for max $$$ potential.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
I was promoted from E1 to E2 about a year before covid at my Fortune 100 company. I got a 10% base salary raise with an increase in my annual bonus from 10% to 20%. It was honestly better than I expected.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

rally posted:

What’s the average percentage salary increase someone should expect from a promotion from Engineer 1 to Engineer 2? I was just told that I got promoted and HR will send me details next week and I just wanna know if I should expect to get dirty dicked with another 3% increase. For reference I work for a Fortune 500 megacorp that pretends to have a soul or something but gives 2-3% merit increases and has a certain allotment of “extremely valued” reviews or whatever.

Does depend a lot on how levels are set. Do you go I->II->Senior I->Senior II?

If so, 10% is possible but probably on the higher side (we usually don't go up to 10% base but we usually start people a little higher and the bonus automatically increases). I'd be less concerned about the delta and more about "What is the difference between my total comp and my regional average"? A newly promoted person should be somewhere around 80% of the midpoint salary as a baseline.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Lockback posted:

Does depend a lot on how levels are set. Do you go I->II->Senior I->Senior II?

If so, 10% is possible but probably on the higher side (we usually don't go up to 10% base but we usually start people a little higher and the bonus automatically increases). I'd be less concerned about the delta and more about "What is the difference between my total comp and my regional average"? A newly promoted person should be somewhere around 80% of the midpoint salary as a baseline.

We are on a scale of eng 1 - 5 -> senior engineer. I was one of the first eng 1s they ever hired here so there isn’t much historical precedent to go by.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Get thee here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

A lot of people do stupid things during the hiring process without realizing they are harming/handicapping themselves. Post a redacted resume and listen to the advice.

Hiring for junior people is super hosed right now. Still, use every edge you can.

So far I've only had the chance to handicap myself on the resume portion somehow. One day I hope to get to step 2 at least once. I hope it's soon... I'm not quite at the eating ketchup packets out of my fridge point yet, but my bank account is looking really red. :(
Thanks so much for all the help, I'll take a look!

What's hosed about it?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

rally posted:

We are on a scale of eng 1 - 5 -> senior engineer. I was one of the first eng 1s they ever hired here so there isn’t much historical precedent to go by.

Ok so you go from Eng 1,2,3,4,5 and then senior? That's a lot of steps. I imagine 10% is probably a no go because then new seniors are making at least 66+% more than new juniors which seems like a wide spread to me. I'd really then not be too concerned about the delta but you should be extra attentive to what market rate would be from your experience.

Shadow0 posted:

What's hosed about it?

Say, 18 months ago if I posted a senior role and a junior/intermediate role I'd get a few senior bites (this is always harder, mostly people kicking the tires but I'd get a maybe 1-2 candidates) and probably a good handful of more junior people (probably 3-4 good candidates). I just closed my reqs last week for a senior and intermediate and got almost no interest in my senior role from anyone remotely qualified and had more intermediate candidates than I've ever seen. I had a guy who graduated with a comp sci degree asking about internships. I had so many I said "screw it" and turned my senior req into an junior so I could scoop from that pool instead, even though is basically cost me my teams budget in giving up that higher salary.

Another manager in my dept posted a junior analytics role and had 70 qualified candidates. That's insane compared to a year+ ago. Other teams are getting senior people in interviews saying they already have standing offers, its really skewed.

Businesses are hiring again but they are really trying to get more experienced people in, probably trying to "catch up" from lockdown slowdown. Its not a good market for more junior people at all right now.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Mush Mushi posted:

Sorry if we scared you away from the accounting thread, Empress.

Anyway, I’m an accountant with no immediate plans to not be an accountant, but I’ve developed an interest in learning how to program, starting completely from scratch. This week I am completing Khan Academy’s computer science principles course. After that I’m planning on selecting courses from the “Open Source Society University” path on github.

My long term goal with this is to either continue working as an accountant with a freelancing side gig in software/data analysis, or to eventually find a role that requires both software and government regulatory knowledge. I suppose a third option is that I actually gain enough experience to become a competent full time programmer for things unrelated to finance, but that’s not the goal unless it happens naturally.

As things are, I have no need or plan to make any money from this for several years. I just want to dedicate time to learning and creating progressively better personal projects until the day that I feel comfortable doing work for someone else or building a tool worth monetizing — maybe 2 or 3 years from now if I am very consistent?

I recognize that this all sounds naive. Feel free to knock some direction into me.

Thanks for the previous replies, everyone! I’m following up on my own post because in my search for self-learning resources I found Oregon State University’s online post-bacc degree in computer science. It’s expensive, but can also be worked part time over my 2 to 3 year timeline. It’s probably overkill unless I decide that I’m looking for a real career change, but...

Having an actual degree or even showing that I’m enrolled in a program backed by an educational institution increases the odds of success in the scenario that I decide to make a serious effort at a software development role, even if related to my current field. I.e., Becoming a developer that makes tax/accounting software rather than an accountant that works with developers, or an accountant turned data analyst...if that makes sense.

Would a degree earned part time even look good compared to self-study? If a degree is becoming a requirement, I could do it. Obviously I still need to think about this a lot before committing to anything.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do you already have a degree?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There is benefit to getting a comp sci degree, but it's rarely the best use of time and money for someone who already has a degree and experience. For what you want to do a combo of self study and maybe a boot camp would be the best route. Some people can even do self-study to the extent they have a glowing portfolio, but if you do that your portfolio's gotta be real good.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Do you already have a degree?

Yes. BS and MS in accounting. Right now I am self-teaching basic CS concepts and Python with a goal of Doing Something in the future. Ideally I’d like to be involved in software development for a finance or tax product, but as a developer and not an accountant. I’m currently a subject matter expert in a niche area of tax, so my conservative employer that bills me out by the hour won’t be overly enthusiastic about me suddenly wanting to be data man. At this stage I’m just looking to optimize what I can do outside of work. If I find a role that allows me to play around with automation more then that’s fine, but that still doesn’t mean I’d qualify on paper for a dev job.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
I am thinking about getting into front end development while this unemployment thing keeps up. At freecodecamp the first three courses (Responsive Web Design, JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures, Front End Development Libraries) look like a great place to start. How likely is it I could get employable in 6 months? I know the job market is crazy right now but let's assume things are more reasonable in autumn. I'm really flushed with time so there won't be much distractions keeping me from learning whatever and working on a portfolio. Are there other resources you would recommend I learn from? Would signing up for a bootcamp be necessary? I don't have a college degree but I do have student loan debt that I'm really not trying to add to unless I have to. If my only goal is it find entry level work would you recommend I study something else like python?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

memento mori posted:

I am thinking about getting into front end development while this unemployment thing keeps up. At freecodecamp the first three courses (Responsive Web Design, JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures, Front End Development Libraries) look like a great place to start. How likely is it I could get employable in 6 months? I know the job market is crazy right now but let's assume things are more reasonable in autumn. I'm really flushed with time so there won't be much distractions keeping me from learning whatever and working on a portfolio. Are there other resources you would recommend I learn from? Would signing up for a bootcamp be necessary? I don't have a college degree but I do have student loan debt that I'm really not trying to add to unless I have to. If my only goal is it find entry level work would you recommend I study something else like python?

Are you at 0 right now or have you taken classes in the past? What was your previous experience like?

6 months with nothing but free code tutorials is possible but really aggressive. I hire your profile a lot, people doing career switches into coding. Basically if you are completely self-taught you have a higher mountain to climb than if you have a reputable bootcamp on your resume, and higher still than someone who has a CS or CS-like degree.

So what you'll need to stand on is your portfolio. I'd want to see REALLY good projects that you can intelligently talk about. Not all have to be polished but if you're on an island I'd like to see at least 1 that looks downright presentable. If your targeting FE web coding A nice angular website or something would be a good target, something that actually looks like someone paid money for it since I'm going to be paying money for your skills. I've had people show off websites they made for a church group or other clients, those are always nice projects to talk through.

You'll also probably be targeting a pretty crap (relative to other) coding job to start, so really think of that first job as more of an extension of your "schooling" and try to pull as much out of it as you can for that much better 2nd job. I've salvaged a few people who had crappy right-out-of-school jobs that beat them down and almost flushed them out of the industry, and I think your path is more likely going to lead down one of those.

Finally, I know lots of people who make good money, have good work/life balance and have fun jobs in QA and not-helpdesk-but-more-technical support jobs, developer-adjacent type stuff. That's another path that I don't think is as bad as its reputation sometimes makes it seem like. Having broad experience is a real benefit there.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Lockback posted:

There is benefit to getting a comp sci degree, but it's rarely the best use of time and money for someone who already has a degree and experience. For what you want to do a combo of self study and maybe a boot camp would be the best route. Some people can even do self-study to the extent they have a glowing portfolio, but if you do that your portfolio's gotta be real good.

Thanks again. I’m bouncing all over the place with ideas about how to merge my current skills with something new. Once I decide to do something I tend to go all in, for better or worse. That said, I think I need to chill a bit and focus on my original self learning plan and give myself time to discover what I ultimately want to get out of this journey.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mush Mushi posted:

Thanks again. I’m bouncing all over the place with ideas about how to merge my current skills with something new. Once I decide to do something I tend to go all in, for better or worse. That said, I think I need to chill a bit and focus on my original self learning plan and give myself time to discover what I ultimately want to get out of this journey.

I think that's the best "Step 1" in any case. If you start hating it it won't get better the deeper you go. With some experience you can decide if you want to be a "create things from thin air" kinda guy or a "Want to get deep into the logic and weird poo poo" kinda guy. The former is probably better served with a bootcamp, the latter a degree can open doors.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I took a really challenging programming test and passed all of the test cases but the last one, I hope I make it to the next phase :ohdear:

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
HR still hasn’t even told me I’m getting promoted officially after my boss told me it was approved last week. It is supposedly effective Monday but I haven’t even been presented an offer. I’m job hunting this weekend.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oof, good call

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
After some amazing recruiter + HR bullshit, I started another job hunt the day before I signed my current offer.

Fuckers can pay for my job hunting after that poo poo.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Do you put your current new job in your resume when job hunting in that situation? I've often wondered about that.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
What's the best way to go about declining/backing out of an internship offer you've accepted? I accepted the initial offer at the latest date they could do, but then got an eleventh hour offer from a place I like a lot more, that's the type of position I want in the industry I want to work in (ie, one was full-stack at a big finance place I'm not too excited about, the other one is a data science position at a company I'm way more into). They're both intended to lead to a full time position post graduation, and the new offer would basically put me exactly where I wanted to be starting out.

I realize this is bad form no matter what, but I would like to back out of the original internship in whatever the most graceful/professional way is. Should I be more specific at all, or just sort of say something more general about my plans changing, uncertainty with covid, etc? I'm not concerned about trying to get hired at the original place or anything, I just want to be polite to the hiring team and my would-be colleagues who were great throughout the process.

Would appreciate any help, it's hard to find a script/guidelines for this kind of thing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'd say keep it vague. Something like, "My circumstances changed and I will no longer be taking the position." They'll probably be equally annoyed, no matter how you phrase it, but it happens all the time and they'll get over it quickly.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If you insist on giving them a reason just say you received an offer more in the direction of you seeing your career heading. Don't spend too much on it or worrying what they think. The person who reads it will have forgotten about it five seconds after browsing the email and taking your name out of their hiring system.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If I know someone who works at a major game company (i.e am friends with them on facebook) and friends with someone who are friends with them, how should I approach applying to their company and make use of the connections I have to give my application a boost? It feels very awkward for me because this is someone I respect a lot but also haven't interacted with a whole lot except in passing. Should I talk first with the person I am somewhat friends with who is friends with them to ask them for advice?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

jabro posted:

If you insist on giving them a reason just say you received an offer more in the direction of you seeing your career heading. Don't spend too much on it or worrying what they think. The person who reads it will have forgotten about it five seconds after browsing the email and taking your name out of their hiring system.

Yeah its this. As someone who has been on the other side I do appreciate a reason but you don't need to put a lot of work into it. Its nice to know if the reasons are financial, location, etc, and "A better opportunity came by" should be understandable by anyone you'd care to ever work with again.

If you had a lot of contact with an individual a phone call to deliver this news can help keep a positive impression, but again it mostly won't matter.

Raenir Salazar posted:

If I know someone who works at a major game company (i.e am friends with them on facebook) and friends with someone who are friends with them, how should I approach applying to their company and make use of the connections I have to give my application a boost? It feels very awkward for me because this is someone I respect a lot but also haven't interacted with a whole lot except in passing. Should I talk first with the person I am somewhat friends with who is friends with them to ask them for advice?

Just reach out to the person and say you're interested in their company, wanted to apply, and was wondering if they'd be interested in a referral and if they'd have any advice for you. If the company gives referral bonuses they'd be pretty motivated, and if they ignore you they'd probably also ignore you if you went through their friend.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

qsvui posted:

Do you put your current new job in your resume when job hunting in that situation? I've often wondered about that.

I didn't, but mostly because I was too lazy to update it :v:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Great, thanks y'all. Left it mostly vague, and added an additional thank you/a bit more explanation to the person who'd been my main point of contact/interviewer. Validating to hear that generally saying less is better in these kinds of situations, it does seem like that's usually a good heuristic.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I've been out of software for a while but I did have about a year and a half of developer experience in pretty much still relevant stuff, including Flask, frontend work, typical web application poo poo like REST and all that. Before that is a few years of IT type work. The most recent experience is 2016, when I left the developer job. Since then I've been working restaurants and poo poo like that.

I've fired my resume to a few places now and haven't heard anything back from anyone, except for one place. I had a good interview with an intake person, passed the coding test with a perfect score , and then an interview with a developer. I thought I did well but I guess the guy didn't like me because they shortly sent out a rejection email not detailing what I did wrong. They did not respond to my follow up email asking what they didn't like about me.

I've been applying for junior/intermediate positions because those are usually the only ones that will take experience over having a degree. I don't have a degree of any kind. Pretty frustrated to be honest.

I'm thinking what I need is a better portfolio so I supposed I should be working on a podcast app or something stupid to build a live showcase of what kinds of things I can do. I keep hearing that places are desperate for programmers but this poo poo seems wayy harder than it was in 2015.

Anyone else out there without a degree but with some experience having as much trouble as I am? It's been like a week now of rejections and the one where I got through to the developer interview and then kicked in the nuts really makes me feel like poo poo lol

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Feral Integral posted:

I've been out of software for a while but I did have about a year and a half of developer experience in pretty much still relevant stuff, including Flask, frontend work, typical web application poo poo like REST and all that. Before that is a few years of IT type work. The most recent experience is 2016, when I left the developer job. Since then I've been working restaurants and poo poo like that.

I've fired my resume to a few places now and haven't heard anything back from anyone, except for one place. I had a good interview with an intake person, passed the coding test with a perfect score , and then an interview with a developer. I thought I did well but I guess the guy didn't like me because they shortly sent out a rejection email not detailing what I did wrong. They did not respond to my follow up email asking what they didn't like about me.

I've been applying for junior/intermediate positions because those are usually the only ones that will take experience over having a degree. I don't have a degree of any kind. Pretty frustrated to be honest.

I'm thinking what I need is a better portfolio so I supposed I should be working on a podcast app or something stupid to build a live showcase of what kinds of things I can do. I keep hearing that places are desperate for programmers but this poo poo seems wayy harder than it was in 2015.

Anyone else out there without a degree but with some experience having as much trouble as I am? It's been like a week now of rejections and the one where I got through to the developer interview and then kicked in the nuts really makes me feel like poo poo lol

There are stories in this thread of people applying for months with hundreds of resumes before landing a job. I don't know about desperate for programmers; seems there are lots available, just maybe few devs for some areas or job types.

Yes, you are right; a portfolio project would go a long way in an interview/getting an interview. With a 1.5 yrs of dev experience 5 years ago you will be hard pressed to get much beyond junior/intermediate, but it's a numbers game so apply to anything that seems even close to a fit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I hire people with and without degrees, but right now junior/intermediate roles are getting more candidates than I've ever seen before. I'm about to make a case to let me go above budget because gently caress it, when we going to net this much talent for this price?

I'd agree, get a tight portfolio and one project should be polished. Your experience helps but your background you have to work extra hard to prove what you say.

If you don't mind be asking, what do you think went well or didn't go well? How do you answer the question "Why were you working at restaurants the last 4 years?"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Feral Integral posted:

Why didn't you get another development job? If you don't have a way to explain that, many people are going to assume that it's because you couldn't. There are plenty of junior candidates out there with degrees and recent experience, so why should a hiring manager take a chance on someone who doesn't have those?

You need a portfolio that shows that you can do small projects with technologies that are in demand now, and you need to have a good explanation for why you've been out of development for so long. You don't need to have a degree, but not having one is a disadvantage in the current market, and you're going to have to do something to offset that.

There are a lot of development jobs out there, and someone will hire you if you put the effort into your job hunt. But you're going to have to put in a lot of effort, and deal with a lot of rejections. If you're feeling down after a week, you're going to have trouble with this process.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

How should I quit my job where I love my manager? :(

I guess 1:1 and break the bad news?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

sailormoon posted:

i wrote a resignation letter and printed a hard copy. just pulled my manager aside and told him i resigned and handed him the letter. i recommend resisting the temptation to accept a counter offer as there was obviously a reason you went and found another job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

sailormoon posted:

You're not obligated to do anything.

If you want I'd see if your manager wants to get lunch/drinks/coffee whatever and be honest with them. When my reports put in their notice I usually like to do something like that to figure out how if there's anything to do different going forward. Enough people who I think I should keep telling me our salaries suck, I'll use that to argue higher starting rates. People tell me they think our tech leads are jerks, I can fix that. Stuff like that is useful.

Most of the time its a situation where the person just outgrows what I can reasonably do which is fine and I usually call that a "success", but its also good to know that too.