Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

TwoPair posted:

I thought RT stopped doing the thing where people could submit scores prior to the film's release

In the non-COVID times, they would withholding the score until opening night as a big reveal or whatever. Since movie theater openings are kind of not a thing at the moment, doubt that'll return until normalcy does to some extent.

Also it's weird seeing the Snyder Defense Force have to decry every negative review of the movie or to try to catch reviewers in a 'gotcha' on Twitter and other spaces.

It's okay if people don't like it, it's also okay to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've done screening streams for a number of critics so if they're on the list and they attended a screening they can submit a review.

I'm not going to go pick apart reviews but I did see this online:

Both from the same critic, which is kind of hilarious. This is vastly superior to the 3/5 film from 4 years ago... 2.5/5

Twitter fans mad about it, but you just have to laugh at this kind of thing

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 15, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Or if they tried to watch Tom & Jerry.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Phylodox posted:

Or if they tried to watch Tom & Jerry.

Do not threaten people with this!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ghosthotel posted:

This doesn't track. Critics hate The Transformers movies but that is a franchise that a lot of people went to go see over and over again and even liked. What about them being "Top Critics" means it's more in line with the general consensus?

It's just a trend. A large gap between All and Top critics is very frequently a sign of how opinions will trend once the new movie smell has worn off.

More than half of even the snobbiest critics liked it though. That's not too bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: missed something, never mind

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

I'm mad this will never happen.

CapnAndy posted:

poo poo, I'd watch that.

Davros1 posted:

Would Doc Sampson still be played by Ty Burrell?

Doc Samson was still played by Ty Burrell, which was very surprising to me because I had forgotten who played the character, but the deep recesses of my brain did not.

The plot was something about Leader seeking to destroy the world by getting access to nuclear weapons, distracting the military by using spies to infiltrate different parts of the government (I'm going to assume it was connected to HYDRA stuff) and creating gamma monsters to force the Hulk to get involved. So it was Hulk versus gamma monsters versus the army.

And Bruce is talking about all this with Doc Samson to kind of work out his relationship with the Hulk. Also Doc Samson did get his powers.

Also Black Widow was involved, continuing to develop a relationship with Bruce that would lead into Age of Ultron.

Also Betty Ross is there. It's complicated.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jamesman posted:

Doc Samson was still played by Ty Burrell, which was very surprising to me because I had forgotten who played the character, but the deep recesses of my brain did not.

The plot was something about Leader seeking to destroy the world by getting access to nuclear weapons, distracting the military by using spies to infiltrate different parts of the government (I'm going to assume it was connected to HYDRA stuff) and creating gamma monsters to force the Hulk to get involved. So it was Hulk versus gamma monsters versus the army.

And Bruce is talking about all this with Doc Samson to kind of work out his relationship with the Hulk. Also Doc Samson did get his powers.

Also Black Widow was involved, continuing to develop a relationship with Bruce that would lead into Age of Ultron.

Also Betty Ross is there. It's complicated.

I'd still watch it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't name a single thing I liked about Joss Whedon's Justice League. That's not to say there wasn't something I liked in there. I just don't remember it at all. I saw it once and never wanted to watch it again. So that being said I don't think there's any way possible this version could be worse. I like Man of Steel quite a bit and remember a lot of it. And I hated Batman v Superman and remember a lot of it. So even on the off chance this is a terrible film I'll probably at least be able to remember it in a few years.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Even if I dislike this as much as Batman V Superman I really hope there's a least one banging sequence like the warehouse bit in BvS which I can revisit on youtube while ignoring the rest of the film.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

I can't name a single thing I liked about Joss Whedon's Justice League. That's not to say there wasn't something I liked in there. I just don't remember it at all. I saw it once and never wanted to watch it again. So that being said I don't think there's any way possible this version could be worse. I like Man of Steel quite a bit and remember a lot of it. And I hated Batman v Superman and remember a lot of it. So even on the off chance this is a terrible film I'll probably at least be able to remember it in a few years.

That's kind of the gist of the AV Club review as well. He may not like it that much (and I will point out that the critic there is basically infamous for being tough on blockbusters) but acknowledges that it's clearly A Zack Snyder Film instead of a WB/DC Studios FIlm (and maybe we let Joss Whedon do something if he stopped trying to make the female crew members cry)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hulk film chat:

I'd be interested in a the hulk story set between infinity war and endgame. I was pretty annoyed how it's glossed over that hulk and Bruce became one and he's super popular with people now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Hulk film chat:

I'd be interested in a the hulk story set between infinity war and endgame. I was pretty annoyed how it's glossed over that hulk and Bruce became one and he's super popular with people now.

I would legitimately love seeing Ruffalo take on the Immortal Hulk style DID stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ruffalo as Joe Fixit would own so much.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MacheteZombie posted:

Hulk film chat:

Yeah same banner hulk was cool as hell and it's just there. Hopefully we get some more of that in she hulk

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I did like how Superman clowned on Steppenwolf without breaking a sweat, and the joke to Cyborg about just having come back to life. And how Superman was able to track the Flash moving at super speed and Flash had that "oh poo poo" look on his face.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vintersorg posted:

Which thing did you like in the Whedon version? I genuinely want to know.
The Flash vs Superman race as the post-credits stinger was nice

Necrothatcher posted:

Genuinely surprised at how much praise the Snyder cut is getting from those that've seen it.

I fully expected it to be torn apart by critics. I guess we'll see the real consensus tomorrow when the review embargo is up.
I mean all it has to do is be better than Josstice League and that doesn't seem very hard

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 15, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Edit: double post

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The United States posted:

The Flash vs Superman race as the post-credits stinger was nice
That's what I was going to say too. In a movie where it wasn't a jarring tonal mismatch even by the standards of how every goddamn scene was a jarring tonal mismatch, that would have been a genuinely fun bit for the movie to go out on.

As it stands, I couldn't help but feeling like Superman was genuinely threatening Flash with kicking him out of the League.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The United States posted:

I mean all it has to do is be better than Josstice League and that doesn't seem very hard

It wasn't so long ago that people were confidently asserting it was going to be a financial and critical disaster.

I mean look at this from Variety: https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/zack-snyders-justice-league-review-ben-affleck-gal-gadot-henry-cavill-1234928648/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

It wasn't so long ago that people were confidently asserting it was going to be a financial and critical disaster.

Oh it’s a financial disaster no matter what.

It needs to bring in like 10 million new subscribers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t expect to like it but this review from Matt Zoller Seitz suggests that I will dislike it in the most interesting way

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/zack-snyders-justice-league-movie-review-2021

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Comparing it to Ang Lee's Hulk and Speed Racer means I am probably guaranteed to like it because those movies rule.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Oh it’s a financial disaster no matter what.

It needs to bring in like 10 million new subscribers.

https://news.yahoo.com/t-lifts-hbo-subscribers-growth-072131369.html

quote:

"AT&T (T) said that it expects worldwide subscribers for HBO and HBO Max to reach 120-150 million by the end of 2025, which is significantly higher than its previous forecast of 75-90 million subscribers. ... For 2021, AT&T expects to end the year with a subscriber base of 67-70 million for HBO and HBO Max, reflecting year-over-year growth in the range of 9.8%-14.8%.

It's impossible to say how much ZSJL is contributing to those numbers, but if subscriber growth is exceeding expectations then WB certainly isn't going to see it as a financial disaster.

Gotta imagine they're making a decent chunk selling the streaming rights for international markets too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're also selling it on Blu-ray and merchandising it and stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Still can't believe the idiot king movie is 4 hours long and the length of superhero films is one of the negatives mouthbreathers scream about.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Still can't believe the idiot king movie is 4 hours long and the length of superhero films is one of the negatives mouthbreathers scream about.

Lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I forgot just how much there is to hate in the first 15 mins of Man of Steel. This time I noticed Kelex, Jor-El’s bizarrely CGIified and ugly robot/viewing screen/tablet/hand mirror friend. Anyway this is such trash. Kal being the first natural Krypton birth in centuries is like in Doctor Who when a new showrunner is like “well now it turns out doctor who is actually the most important being in the universe and also 500 years older than previously thought because!!!!” oh my god there’s a girl hand mirror robot too. Maybe it’s more like a chair leg or a spoon than a hand mirror

It takes 20 minutes to get off Krypton! and all that stuff is so poo poo!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What? That stuff is great! Zods speech to the counsel is dope

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

What? That stuff is great! Zods speech to the counsel is dope

I’ll give it the Michael Shannon screentime, but I just find it all so boring and tedious and visually ugly and the whole codex macguffin starts there and that’s the worst part of the movie and it’s soooo long

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah Krypton is a great critique of our own ruling class elites just blatantly ignoring that the world is dying because keeping things in "order" is more important. Zod was just leading his own version of the raid on the capitol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The whole krypton sequence loving rocks. I love the whole design aesthetic and how metal everything is.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lol at the idea of criticising Man of Steel for making Superman special.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

The only scene I like and which I assume is in the Snyder version because it feels a lot more like his stuff is the moment where Superman's eyes follow the Flash. That moment does more to sell the idea of how terrifying Superman can be than anything in BvS or Justice League. It's such a small thing but it works really well.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, I really liked the Krypton stuff in Man of Steel and honestly a lot of it is good decisions. The comics story where the planet is obviously, clearly dying and the population stands around going "lmao nothing out of the normal here" until they passively blow up? Come the gently caress on, of course Krypton's last moments are bloody civil war and rioting. The world is literally ending!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I really liked the Krypton stuff in Man of Steel and honestly a lot of it is good decisions. The comics story where the planet is obviously, clearly dying and the population stands around going "lmao nothing out of the normal here" until they passively blow up? Come the gently caress on, of course Krypton's last moments are bloody civil war and rioting. The world is literally ending!

I mean you're saying this in the year 2021 where we've proven that humanity as a whole will actively fight to pretend things are normal in the face of overwhelming disaster. We're all basically accepted Climate Change is a disaster but we'll gladly stay home and chat about superhero movies on the internet rather than do anything about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If only scenes with Amy Adams as a crack reporter and Laurence Fishburne as her editor had been written by good writers :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I mean you're saying this in the year 2021 where we've proven that humanity as a whole will actively fight to pretend things are normal in the face of overwhelming disaster. We're all basically accepted Climate Change is a disaster but we'll gladly stay home and chat about superhero movies on the internet rather than do anything about it.
I understand that, but there's a difference between "well this will be a disaster later" and "everything is flooded right loving now", and I don't expect the latter to be peaceful.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CapnAndy posted:

I understand that, but there's a difference between "well this will be a disaster later" and "everything is flooded right loving now", and I don't expect the latter to be peaceful.
Hi, 500,000 people dead from a virus and businesses ravaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Ghosthotel posted:

Yeah Krypton is a great critique of our own ruling class elites just blatantly ignoring that the world is dying because keeping things in "order" is more important. Zod was just leading his own version of the raid on the capitol.
I don't know if this was deliberate on the writers' part or not but I also liked how the beginning tangentially shat all over the Kryptonian concept of people being born to specific classes. Zod and his troops were selected to be soldiers but Jor El clowns on them all in their fight scenes.

It's probably just "protagonist hero is automatically a badass" but I still liked the idea and the first time I saw the movie I hoped it was going to come into play later, with Superman confronting Zod with the fact he was trying to revive a "perfect" society so far up its own rear end that it destroyed itself through intransigent short-sightedness and the only reason any remnants still existed at all were the results of the acts by renegades like Jor El and criminals like Zod himself. Though arguably there was a allusion to this in Superman screaming "Krypton had its chance!" before lasering the Kryptonian scout ship.