Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Zeta Acosta posted:

RBR
MERC
Mclaren
Alpha
Ferrari
Alpine
alfa
Aston
williams
hass

This is pretty much what I'm thinking also, but I think Merc will probably fix whatever issues they have to win the season anyway. Can't have things been too interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
aston drivers pairing is really weak and i think they hassed themselves thinking they could just buy the mercedes parts and call it a day. vettel has never been a development driver and stroll is not good-mature enough.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ethanol posted:

Lewis will get in there, and I will be there to watch

Same OP. I don't like going this long with out seeing Lewis In There.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zeta Acosta posted:

aston drivers pairing is really weak and i think they hassed themselves thinking they could just buy the mercedes parts and call it a day. vettel has never been a development driver and stroll is not good-mature enough.

I think they might show a bit of early promise as other teams find their footing but yeah they won't be repeating 2020. Stroll makes too many mistakes and doesn't seem great on set up, Vettel will get frustrated and start dropping points for dumb reasons.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 16, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I just don't want Max to be a championship winner.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

net work error posted:

I just don't want Max to be a championship winner.

Don't worry, it'll never happen

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is it just a pre-season mirage, or should I be hopeful that Russell is only a second and change off Max on the pace?

I'd really like Williams to not be the back marker for once. Mazepin deserves that honour more than anyone else on the grid.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Based off of what everyone is saying, Haas hasn't updated anything on their car asides from regulation-related stuff so it looks like they're gonna be in the back. Sucks for Mick though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Williams is going to hopefully beat HAAS just for the sake that HAAS is p much running the 2020 car outside of a few details.

ARE GEORGE.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I’m ready for this season to begin already. :getin:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not the only one who thinks the Williams looks like one of those cardboard sleeves blank VHS tapes came in am I?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

I'm not the only one who thinks the Williams looks like one of those cardboard sleeves blank VHS tapes came in am I?

The tape would be faster

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bloody Pom posted:

certainly very 90s packaging, yes

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Skim Milk posted:

The tape would be faster

lol

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Williams engineers hard at work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWXEk9uS_FQ&t=25s

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

so this is the fabled flywheel KERS theyre famous for

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

The bigger issue for Aston is that if Merc is having issues with the new regs they'll be in exactly the same position but without as many resources to fix it. My guess is they'll just shift development to the 2022 car early on and write this year off.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

Don't worry, it'll never happen

This season: Newey finds a new and ingenious way of cheating. The Red Bull is a loving spaceship and Max leads the championship into the last race. He proceeds to drive straight into the wall while "testing the limits". Are Lewis gets in there once again.
:lewis:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

the williams doesn't rev that high!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

this is the honda guy trying their first mclaren engine

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Dynamite Dog posted:

so are deductions more accurate because more people are watching, or are teams chasing #1 on the test time sheets now when they weren't before for that sweet test clout? both are nonsense.

Glory runs are still a thing. Ferrari did it (a bit) in 2019, the proof being their weaker form in Melbourne that year (which turned out to be a setup thing) and though competitive they weren't as fast as their testing suggested.

There's just so much data to pour over now. We get analysis practically in real time, right down to car spec and even driver body language. For example Tsunoda's lap was questioned fairly quickly due to irregular DRS usage, so educated guesses are at least possible. There is a consensus about performance and it will probably ring true in the first couple of races.

I do think there's more to come from Mercedes, if only for their absense from the speed trap numbers. Was this because they didn't care about top speed, or couldn't wind the car up enough to reach it? You be the judge. Surely that's the fun of it?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zeta Acosta posted:

this is the honda guy trying their first mclaren engine
Didn't it turn out that the problem was McLaren all along because they, being British, sent transmission measurements to Honda in furlongs instead of millimeters?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Didn't it turn out that the problem was McLaren all along because they, being British, sent transmission measurements to Honda in furlongs instead of millimeters?

It was strongly implied to be the case yeah and it made more sense to my mind.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

While the Honda engines were no doubt poo poo to begin with, there was definitely an element of McLaren just believing they were otherwise a perfect team, so any problems couldn't be a car problem, it had to be engine related. I think for a while they even thought they had the best chassis on the grid which was tested in 2018 when they ran with a Renault engine and finished 6th. I think part of the Zak leadership has been to say "yeah you're poo poo, sort it out".

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The MCL33 was the slowest car on the grid by mid 2018 - Alonso was fortunate to get those early season results and greatly outdrove what the car was capable of.

Vandoorne scored less points than in 2017. The Honda engine was indeed pretty bad, but McLaren's requirements exacerbated the problem. Boullier was a loving idiot and it's telling that he hasn't been back in F1 since (I think he manages Paul Ricard).

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

and the honda guys testing one cylinder and thinking yeah that will work

Frond posted:

The MCL33 was the slowest car on the grid by mid 2018 - Alonso was fortunate to get those early season results and greatly outdrove what the car was capable of.

Vandoorne scored less points than in 2017. The Honda engine was indeed pretty bad, but McLaren's requirements exacerbated the problem. Boullier was a loving idiot and it's telling that he hasn't been back in F1 since (I think he manages Paul Ricard).

poor guy was on the verge of a heart attack every single race

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Honda should have known better than to make an engine like that (ultra compact). The concept didn't work for Ferrari in 2014, I do not understand what they were thinking.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Everything I've heard about McLaren in that era suggests they easily could've done this and lots of even dumber things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wasn't the packaging one of the reasons why MP4/13 was so dominant, which could explain why the team got so obsessed about the size of the car.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jenson also admitted that he and Fernando would just deliberately overdrive the engines to blow them for lols which really really didn’t help with development

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Alpeen aren't looking too great so we know Alonso will be frustrated again this year

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had to google who the second driver was and lol it’s Ocon who’s a little poo poo and probably deserves Alonso as a team mate tbh.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I hope Alonso crushes Ocon's spirit.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I know I've said it before, but Ocon really is the human embodiment of 'who?'

The French Sutil

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

Honda should have known better than to make an engine like that (ultra compact). The concept didn't work for Ferrari in 2014, I do not understand what they were thinking.

That was a Mclaren directive. I’ve spoken about it before but I think Honda was a victim of its own program of rotating engineers. Nobody had the confidence or depth of knowledge to stand up to Mclaren and tell them it wouldn’t work. This was the same company that went on building oval piston 4 stroke engines for 2 years trying to compete with 2 stroke bikes after all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got an m1 macbook air

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How long do you have to stay in quarantine?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

That was a Mclaren directive. I’ve spoken about it before but I think Honda was a victim of its own program of rotating engineers. Nobody had the confidence or depth of knowledge to stand up to Mclaren and tell them it wouldn’t work. This was the same company that went on building oval piston 4 stroke engines for 2 years trying to compete with 2 stroke bikes after all.

Indeed. They should have pushed back. The first time I realized something was severely wrong was the demo run they did at the end of 2014 where the car managed 3 laps.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

I know I've said it before, but Ocon really is the human embodiment of 'who?'

The French Sutil

He was pretty anonymous last year. Kinda of a shame as he showed promise at Force India, at least initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Frond posted:

He was pretty anonymous last year. Kinda of a shame as he showed promise at Force India, at least initially.

He was too aggressive and a cocky bastard, but we liked him because he was annoying Bottas and nearly goaded Max into punching him on live TV.