Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just for general QOL a level in swimming is absolutely worth it, if you're the kind of player who likes exploring the environment as much as possible it opens up many more options

Yeah, there's enough water in the game that Trained Swimming (and maybe even Advanced for Hong Kong/Sub Base) is more than worth it. It's cheap-as-free to level up, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My first play through I swam down to the underwater base and entered through the sub bay with regen only.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Don't you *start* in the sub bay? What other possible spawning points exist for that map?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Same.

(where the hell are these coming from lmao)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Serephina posted:

Don't you *start* in the sub bay? What other possible spawning points exist for that map?

No you start on land and there is a whole bunch one can skip just by swimming down. It’s not dissimilar in how much you can skip by riding a lam down from the tower you start on in France.

The first time I played I couldn’t figure out how to get in and got stuck. Hey there is something down there under the water. Slammed regen on/off and just swam down.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Old men...playing this game.

A new age!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No you start on land and there is a whole bunch one can skip just by swimming down. It’s not dissimilar in how much you can skip by riding a lam down from the tower you start on in France.

The first time I played I couldn’t figure out how to get in and got stuck. Hey there is something down there under the water. Slammed regen on/off and just swam down.

Oh you mean the dockside base where you get into the minisub to move onto the next area. I thought you meant you found a way to enter the Underwater Lab map (the one that has flooded segments etc) without using the minisub. Somehow.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My lack of clipping is augmented.

Fake edit: I’m like 99% sure that was a different map.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sub base has one of the single best lines in the game, with one of the best line deliveries, was explicitly written as a joke, and Simons' response is "laugh it up smartass we're gonna get you". But it never became a meme.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

post her masterpiece Coward

https://twitter.com/FPScarol/status/1360901435446071296?s=20

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

stoked you found the source, tbh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

i always gave the kid a candy bar

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My last go through I forgot to bring anything with me so I had to go the long way like a loving peasant, I've never felt more ashamed

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

i always gave the kid a candy bar

:hfive:

My real kids get told it's a sometimes food but for that kid, every time :ocelot:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry, I don't have any food.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Gaius Marius posted:

My last go through I forgot to bring anything with me so I had to go the long way like a loving peasant, I've never felt more ashamed

There's a soy food or candy bar in one of the shanty town huts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Another day another man Deus Ex couldn't be made today post

My take: The difference between the age of DX1 and now is: Deus Ex was written in the wake of the Reagan revolution, the Reagen-Clinton years were an era of unbridled corporate growth and anyone could see the trajectory of the world was going in a very bad direction, and conspiracy culture was used as a way to make a commentary on it. Same kind of thinking as Cyberpunk 2020. The worst that Deus Ex did was strip out the most unsavory aspects of 90s conspiracy culture, which grew out of the christian identity/white supremacist militia movements.

But now, conspiracy theories are used to reinforce all the deranged power structures of the age. See White Replacement Theory, the obsession over Mexican Rapists and MS13 and the Migrant Caravan. The forests are burning not because of climate change, but Jewish Space Lasers. This fat corrupt pedophile billionaire is actually a White Hat, he's a good guy, and he's fighting the deep state pedophiles. You can't make the conspiracy theorists the good guys in this situation.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

jet fuel cant melt jc tenton

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiracy theories have always been like that though. You're suffering from recency bias. Everything seems to be at a precipe of importance only because you yourself are living it. There's little difference between contemporary conspiracy, the us going to war with spain over fake journalism, and the thinking that led to ruby ridge or the oklahoma city bombing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bob page did 9/11

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

bob page did 9/11

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Number 1: That's terror.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

aniviron posted:

If modern politics has taught us anything, it's the facts mean surprisingly little.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

JustJeff88 posted:

If modern politics has taught us anything, it's the facts mean surprisingly little.

We live in hyperreality.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Has this Deus Ex randomizer been mentioned yet? https://github.com/Die4Ever/deus-ex-randomizer

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

bob page did 9/11

aniviron posted:

quote:

Chinese Lunar Mine Operational
APR - Beijing, China

Chinese authorities today announced that their state of the art Zhou Enlai Lunar Mining Complex is operational and functioning at one hundred percent capacity. "We are pleased to be making significant progress not just in pushing back the boundaries of exploration for all humanity, but in developing the lunar territories in a way that benefits the Chinese people and the global market," said Nghia Lam, Chinese Premier.

While the United States and Nigeria still dispute China's claims to the lucrative Palus Somnii and Mare Crisium regions, Chinese construction has proceeded apace while diplomatic negotiations continue. "We feel we have some valid claim to those territories, certainly," said Robert Holden, Secretary of
the Interior for the U.S. "But we would prefer to find and equitable arrangement that would allow our countries to work together in developing man's first real home outside of our own planet."

The first ore delivery from the factory will be launched by mass driver tomorrow and should arrive in Earth orbit by next week.

quote:

McMoran Slings Chinese Ore
APR - Beijing, China

With the announcement by the Chinese last week that the Zhou Enlai Lunar Mining Complex was fully operational, today McMoran Global Steel held a press conference to detail the first delivery of lunar ore from the facility to Earth via a mass driver constructed by McMoran.

"The McMoran MD-118 Mass Driver is the first piece of accelerated stock to be constructed on such a scale, and certainly the first to operate extraterestrially," said Sean Murphy. "The selection of McMoran for this contract by the Chinese government is a major step towards closer economic ties between China and the U.S."

McMoran won the contract in a heated bidding war with Page Industries that reached its most fevered pitch when Page attempted an unsuccessful hostile takeover of McMoran.

quote:

Mass Driver Accident Kills Over 2,000
APR - Ibadan, Nigeria

The historical first delivery of ore from the Zhou Enlai Lunar Mining Complex ended in tragedy today when a targeting error resulted in the payload slamming into the outskirts of the city of Ibadan in Nigeria. Thousands died in the initial blast that was compared to a small nuclear bomb as the payload impacted in a sparsely populated suburb, while thousands more were left disoriented, homeless, and without power or water in the wake of the explosion.

Chinese officials have halted all other deliveries from the Zhou Enlai Complex and are working with both the United Nations and officials from McMoran Global Steel to determine the cause of the error. McMoran Global Steel was responsible for the construction of the mass driver, winning the contract from Page Industries in a heated bidding war.

"Obviously we took the utmost precautions in building the Zhou Enlai driver,"
said spokesperson Sean Murphy. "But something has gone terribly wrong. Our only
real response as this point is to offer our condolences and aid to the people of
Ibadan, and insure that such an event never occurs again."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't remember those quotes at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's in a magazine under the counter in the shop in Hong Kong, very easy to miss

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

people will be playing deus ex in a hundred years and still discover new things

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Another day another man Deus Ex couldn't be made today post

My take: The difference between the age of DX1 and now is: Deus Ex was written in the wake of the Reagan revolution, the Reagen-Clinton years were an era of unbridled corporate growth and anyone could see the trajectory of the world was going in a very bad direction, and conspiracy culture was used as a way to make a commentary on it. Same kind of thinking as Cyberpunk 2020. The worst that Deus Ex did was strip out the most unsavory aspects of 90s conspiracy culture, which grew out of the christian identity/white supremacist militia movements.

But now, conspiracy theories are used to reinforce all the deranged power structures of the age. See White Replacement Theory, the obsession over Mexican Rapists and MS13 and the Migrant Caravan. The forests are burning not because of climate change, but Jewish Space Lasers. This fat corrupt pedophile billionaire is actually a White Hat, he's a good guy, and he's fighting the deep state pedophiles. You can't make the conspiracy theorists the good guys in this situation.
I'm playing Deus Ex for the first time at the moment and I gotta admit, I got a hearty lol out of "JC, we need you to infiltrate this Chinese laboratory that's been manufacturing The Virus"....... Daedalus has been browsing too many alt-news Facebook groups I think

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Bit of a specific question but to anyone who's familiar with it how playable is realistic with gmdx? I don't mind a challenge but if it's the typical artificial-difficulty optimal path situation I'm not going to bother.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 29, 2021

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
https://twitter.com/FPScarol/status/1376553860433551366?s=20

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

They're just not helpful

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

lurker2006 posted:

Bit of a specific question but to anyone who's familiar with it how playable is realistic with gmdx? I don't mind a challenge but if it's the typical artificial-difficulty optimal path situation I'm not going to bother.

I personally love it. Probably the biggest difference that I personally noticed was you have to be careful with your item use because theres a lot less extra stuff just lying around. Then again I was also playing non-lethally so I would have had way more options if I was lethal. I'm also the type of gamer that plays stuff on the hardest difficulty (or second hardest if the game is unfair). I don't intend to ever play vanilla again, GMDX all the way for me.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 29, 2021

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Jeoh posted:

people will be playing deus ex in a hundred years and still discover new things

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wait does he have a specific bark if you use his computer while he’s there

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Wait does he have a specific bark if you use his computer while he’s there

I think he says "go use my computer if you need to" so prolly not.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're just not helpful

their utility is definitely subpar imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Phobophilia posted:

Sub base has one of the single best lines in the game, with one of the best line deliveries, was explicitly written as a joke, and Simons' response is "laugh it up smartass we're gonna get you". But it never became a meme.

it's harder to make fun of stuff that's intended to be funny and succeeds at it