Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I mean, there are plenty of bags available. Arkel, Axiom, Topeak, Ortlieb are available in every bike shop. Arkel and Ortlieb make great bags, but they all look the same and they're all soooo bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Koth posted:

I mean, there are plenty of bags available. Arkel, Axiom, Topeak, Ortlieb are available in every bike shop. Arkel and Ortlieb make great bags, but they all look the same and they're all soooo bland.

This will be my first time toying with bags and racks. How well do they fit together? Are there any sizing/compatible gotchas to know about?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

This will be my first time toying with bags and racks. How well do they fit together? Are there any sizing/compatible gotchas to know about?

I can only speak for the Ortlieb rack mount system, but they are completly adjustable on three points, so I can't imagine any rack that they wouldn't fit. I've put them on three different racks myself.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

You might have problems with your heels hitting your bags, or rim brake clearance issues. I had this problem and needed to buy a rack with long setback

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, if you're mounting square panniers (as opposed to tapering toward the bottom) on a bike with normal chainstays (my touring bike is 445mm), you'll probably get some heel rub unless you slam the panniers aft on the rack. Which might feel extra unwieldy handling wise until you get used to it.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Koth posted:

Procelain Rocket was bought by Rockgeist, so all of their stuff is only available in the USA. Other than Arkel and TwoWheel Gear, I don't know who else makes bags in Canada.

It's not that I need a bag that's made in Canada, but being able to find Canadian retailers of these cool bags that Russ reviews would be nice.

I say this and then I find https://dismountbikeshop.com/ in Toronto which sells Swift bags and Outer Shell bags. I picked up the Drawcord Handlebar Bag https://outershell.com/shop/handlebar-bag to hold my camera.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Koth posted:

Procelain Rocket was bought by Rockgeist, so all of their stuff is only available in the USA. Other than Arkel and TwoWheel Gear, I don't know who else makes bags in Canada.

It's not that I need a bag that's made in Canada, but being able to find Canadian retailers of these cool bags that Russ reviews would be nice.

Rockgeist will ship to Canada. I grabbed one of their bags a few months back.

Local YVR option is HMPL. I’ve ordered a few smaller pieces from them and the quality is good. They’ll do custom work as well.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
LBS had a Salsa Anything Cradle available.

Cue me riding back to my house with 2 coffees, a bike rack tucked into my pants, and one hand on my hoods.

90 bucks? Donezo. Looks like my mountain bike is getting its first bikepacking upgrade!

For clarity's sake, I'm setting up 2 bikes at the moment.

Salsa El Mariachi hardtail (hence the front cradle)
Poseidon Redwood (going with the rear rack panniers as per the thread's advice)

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 16, 2021

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

LBS had a Salsa Anything Cradle available.

Cue me riding back to my house with 2 coffees, a bike rack tucked into my pants, and one hand on my hoods.

90 bucks? Donezo. Looks like my mountain bike is getting its first bikepacking upgrade!

For clarity's sake, I'm setting up 2 bikes at the moment.

Salsa El Mariachi hardtail (hence the front cradle)
Poseidon Redwood (going with the rear rack panniers as per the thread's advice)

Nice. That's what I use, and I love it. It can be a bit of a pain getting the bag on the cradle at first, but once it's on, it stays tight.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

REI was selling the top load dry bag for $40 but actually sent you the entire kit - bag, cradle, accessory pouch and straps.

I know 4 people personally who bought this and got the whole thing. They still have the side load bag for $40. I believe someone mentioned they got the whole kit there as well.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

REI was selling the top load dry bag for $40 but actually sent you the entire kit - bag, cradle, accessory pouch and straps.

I know 4 people personally who bought this and got the whole thing. They still have the side load bag for $40. I believe someone mentioned they got the whole kit there as well.

Yep. This was mentioned on Discord.

I pulled the trigger on some cages and bags. On wishful thinking, I picked up the bag, worst case, I now have 2 cradles.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

you can never have too many bike things

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Another data point. Ordered march 5th just got the kit.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Wow, nice! Mine was almost $300 CDN.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some people obviously found this out because there’s a number on eBay recently

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bagchat: I got the Ortlieb bikepacking setup (minus the cockpit bag since I already had one) and it's really solid. If only I used it more than once. Gotta change that this spring/summer, who wants to bikepacking in Chicagoland?

IMG_20200628_153339_556 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I'm interested in cycling travelogues around the Pacific Ring of Fire. Not just the USA bit, but adventures that attempt to cover the whole thing.

I know it's a huge trip, but am I missing any famous stories from round the Pacific?

meltie fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 28, 2022

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Bagchat: I got the Ortlieb bikepacking setup (minus the cockpit bag since I already had one) and it's really solid. If only I used it more than once. Gotta change that this spring/summer, who wants to bikepacking in Chicagoland?

IMG_20200628_153339_556 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

what kind of places are you thinking of going to around here?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Good question. I planned out a few trips of varying length with stops at state and county parks in IL, IN and WI. I&M Canal as an overnight, 3 day up into WI and Bong State Park, down south to Kankakee State Park and over into IN to Willow Slough. As vaccines increase and covid declines I'll probably look at hotels as options too. I'd really like to do a multi-day trip this summer, gotta drag my brother along again.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Anyone have experience with the Vista 300 or Appalachian Gravel Growler? Looking for an intermediate level bikepacking route close-ish to Chattanooga for early June- will be riding a dropbar gravel bike on 47s, so chunky gravel is fine but something like the TNGA is probably out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

a loathsome bird posted:

Anyone have experience with the Vista 300 or Appalachian Gravel Growler? Looking for an intermediate level bikepacking route close-ish to Chattanooga for early June- will be riding a dropbar gravel bike on 47s, so chunky gravel is fine but something like the TNGA is probably out.

I did The Mountain 420 and it’s a brutal route. It covers most of Vista plus a lot of single track. I did it just after some major storms though so the trails and roads were trashed with multiple bridges out on the roads and stuff. Appalachian GG is probably the more chill route given what I’ve seen (but not having ridden it myself).

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

CopperHound posted:

Another data point. Ordered march 5th just got the kit.

Due to that forwarding fuckery, my package is now in Pittsburgh for the second time. It literally got to my doorstep and my mail guy found a forward taking it to Pittsburgh and then to detroit. Luckily I discovered the forward quickly and spent like 5 hours on the phone with usps to undo the damage.

Soon!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Good question. I planned out a few trips of varying length with stops at state and county parks in IL, IN and WI. I&M Canal as an overnight, 3 day up into WI and Bong State Park, down south to Kankakee State Park and over into IN to Willow Slough. As vaccines increase and covid declines I'll probably look at hotels as options too. I'd really like to do a multi-day trip this summer, gotta drag my brother along again.

Those all sound great, I've wanted to do rides along the canal for a while. I know you can ride up to Chain o Lakes almost entirely on bike paths, idk about past there towards Bong. No idea about Willow Slough but it looks nice and I bet riding to the end of a Metra line would make it all a nice ride.

Send me a PM when you start planning, I bet I could get a couple other people to join depending on dates.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Anyone done any touring in Puerto Rico? I'm currently obsessing over the concept of circumnavigating the island, but it's also admittedly a car sewer with very little bike infrastructure... but, despite that, it does seem to have a pretty rabid yet small cycling scene. There are tour groups that do it but I'm having trouble finding any impressions / reviews online.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 29, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone interested in buying a Revelate Vole seatpack? I've only used it once and have since changed my setup and don't need it now. It was $150 new, looking for $100 + shipping.

It's also dropper compatible, which they no longer make.

It's this one:
https://bikepacking.com/gear/revelate-vole-review/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Bikepacking just put out this huge comparo and visual shopping for half frame bag options:
https://bikepacking.com/index/half-frame-bags-and-wedges/

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Hi bike friends. I'm looking at going from NYC to Cooperstown over 3-4 days at the end of April and I'm trying to plan a route, but I've never planned a route before. Would anyone mind taking a quick glance to see if I am going to die?

Basic idea is take bike route 9 to Albany switching to Mohawk-Hudson/Canal trail to Fort Plain and taking whatever looks good to Cooperstown.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35644703

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a loathsome bird posted:

Anyone have experience with the Vista 300

well in a turn of fate I'm doing this with a buddy May 15th so I can give an update on the route. It's changed a bit since I rode there two years ago.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

well in a turn of fate I'm doing this with a buddy May 15th so I can give an update on the route. It's changed a bit since I rode there two years ago.

:nice:
My friend and I decided on doing the Appalachian Gravel Growler instead- it looked a little more achievable for our fitness level/bike setups.
Kim at Veloview Bike Tours was super helpful over email (Kim@veloviewbiketours.com) for route info/conditions on the Vista 300- there's also a FB group with fairly regular updates.

peej
Apr 10, 2009

DaNerd posted:

Hi bike friends. I'm looking at going from NYC to Cooperstown over 3-4 days at the end of April and I'm trying to plan a route, but I've never planned a route before. Would anyone mind taking a quick glance to see if I am going to die?

Basic idea is take bike route 9 to Albany switching to Mohawk-Hudson/Canal trail to Fort Plain and taking whatever looks good to Cooperstown.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35644703

Depending on what you're looking for there a paved bike path that starts at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx and goes all the way to Brewster. It's now been extended to Poughkeepsie and onwards to Albany though there are some on-road portions between Poughkeepsie and the canalway.

https://empiretrail.ny.gov/map#hudson-valley-greenway-trail

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

peej posted:

Depending on what you're looking for there a paved bike path that starts at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx and goes all the way to Brewster. It's now been extended to Poughkeepsie and onwards to Albany though there are some on-road portions between Poughkeepsie and the canalway.

Last time I rode that trail (maybe last August or so), the Van Cortland Park section was closed so you had to fight your way up and around and pick it up in some neighborhood. It's a really pleasant trail regardless.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

Last time I rode that trail (maybe last August or so), the Van Cortland Park section was closed so you had to fight your way up and around and pick it up in some neighborhood. It's a really pleasant trail regardless.

The paving has been completed! It's super nice now and you don't have to worry about endless mud after a rain.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh that's awesome to know!

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

peej posted:

This looks like a good addition as the leg to Albany wasn't great, thanks! I think I managed to find everything except this somehow.

Goal for this weekend is to plan camping/stealth camping feasibility as well as upgrade my lights and try to determine if I need more bags than I have.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Attempted to 2-day the 100 mile Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder.

Here's the route: https://www.strava.com/routes/22770635

We were going to start from the opposite side and cut out the beginning and end 7 miles.

It was so loving cold the second day that we edited out quite a bit of it.

Anyway, here's the ride. We had a ton of fun and the route kicked our rear end really badly on the first day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5196371527

I'm in love. Touring rules. Bikepacking rules. Climbing sand/gravel hills rules*.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rode ~2/3s of The Vista in Tennessee this weekend. 13500 ft of climbing on day one, 12000 on day two, then a gnarly end to my ride:

Bottom Liner posted:

I had a doozy of a mechanical on a bikepacking race this weekend. 240 miles in at 1 am I hit a big rock on a long gravel descent, bounced around pretty good, and ended up catching a branch in my wheel. It bent the valve stem about 60 degrees and caused an air leak. We tried to bend it back and the plan was to hopefully add sealant/super glue to hold the leak but the stem snapped. Upon unseating the bead, the inner rubber of the valve stem had popped off in the tire and the root of the stem was pulled down into the hole and was seemingly too big to fit back through or be pushed through the other side (tried using an allen wrench to push it through both ways). Had a 5 hour walk down the mountain that night and it didn't help that it was 40 degrees and I was sweating from the previous 9 mile climb when it happened, so I had to just keep walking to keep from getting hypothermic. Towards the end of trying to fix it I was shaking so bad I couldn't even get the thru axle back in . Currently waiting to hear back from the shop about their plan to extract it.

I'd put it on par with TNGA for difficulty, though TNGA has rougher terrain overall. The Smokies are just loooooong never ending climbs in a way the southern Appalachians don't really do. My riding partner made it another ~65 miles before his knee took him out too. There were about 20 riders and only 5 finished, with most dropping from getting sick in the near freezing temps at night.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

Saw this posted in another thread and thought I'd share: https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/layton-keddy-bicycle-australian-bush/

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

corker2k posted:

Saw this posted in another thread and thought I'd share: https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/layton-keddy-bicycle-australian-bush/

This whole thing is crazy, but, uh, the button man poo poo is insane

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that happened to me in the chihuahua desert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The button man sounds amazing (and harmless probably)