Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
nfts are powered with ether, which is bitcoin hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pyrus Malus posted:

do NFTs actually use significantly more energy than bitcoin? or are people just late jumping onto the "holy poo poo crypto uses a lot of electricity" thing?

It's more that at least bitcoin is ostensibly useful for something to justify it's environmental cost

Which it absolutely doesn't, obviously, but this is just an order of magnitude dumber

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pyrus Malus posted:

do NFTs actually use significantly more energy than bitcoin? or are people just late jumping onto the "holy poo poo crypto uses a lot of electricity" thing?

The Ethereum blockchain uses an enormous amount of energy but only about 1/3 of Bitcoin because it has fewer miners. Both are insanely wasteful.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Fame Douglas posted:

The Ethereum blockchain uses an enormous amount of energy but only about 1/3 of Bitcoin because it has fewer miners. Both are insanely wasteful.

theyre definitionally wasteful if they use any energy (they do) while serving no purpose (also true)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
if a bitcoin is worth $50,000 how much resources does it use to produce 1 buttcoin compared to 50,000 american one dollar bills?

checkmate libs

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

doesn't it also take an absurd amount of energy to process any given bitcoin transaction

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

if a bitcoin is worth $50,000 how much resources does it use to produce 1 buttcoin compared to 50,000 american one dollar bills?

checkmate libs

Loads more.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

doesn't it also take an absurd amount of energy to process any given bitcoin transaction

it takes the same energy independent of transactions, the entire setup for logging bitcoin transactions is: a mining computer basically prints lotto tickets until it gets a winning one. when it gets a "win", the miner gets the transaction fees for a batch of transactions (that the miner itself decided upon) plus the "reward" which is the new bitcoin being put into circulation. the more energy you spend, the faster you can mine a winning ticket. a winning miner is sort of incentivized to include transactions, but it's not necessary, you could just mine empty blocks forever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

Sort of. Like Plank Walker said, they're kinda disconnected technically, but I don't think it's entirely wrong to talk about how much power a transaction takes either. For example, the entire global network can only process an average of 2-3 transactions per second, and the global network is using eleventy billion megawatts all day every day to try to generate those lotto tickets. I'd say it's not entirely unfair to claim that a transaction "takes" eleventy billion megawatt-seconds, since processing transactions is the thing the network is ultimately trying to do.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Mar 15, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes. But transactions aren't processed every second, they're processed every ~10 minutes with new blocks, the "x transactions per second" thing is misleading people.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Mar 15, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes. But transactions aren't processed every second, they're processed every ~10 minutes with new blocks, the "x transactions per second" thing is misleading people.

i think there's also a data limit as to how many transactions you can stuff into a new block.

it works like:
you look at the pool of transactions waiting to be processed and pick as many as you can stuff into a block (you would probably optimize for the ones with the highest transaction fee, but you can pick them totally arbitrarily as well)

there exists some magic number that you have to add to these transactions to make it a valid transaction, but the only way to find this number is to brute force it. "mining" is the process of trying magic numbers until you find the winning one.

the system is built in such a way that it takes on average 10 minutes for any of the hundreds, thousands, or millions of miners in the world to find a magic number, i.e. if it there was only a single miner and it took 1 minute to make a guess, the number would basically be a random number between 1 and 20

99.999% of the energy is spent trying to guess and check these magic numbers, the actual processing of the transactions is trivial, you transmit your transactions and your magic number and you get the fees and all of the above transactions are added to the global ledger

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Hence why I said "on average" a bunch, but yes if you wanna be more accurate it's actually using eleventy billion megawatt-ten-minuteses-times-average-transaction-size-divided-by-block-size

Plank Walker posted:

i think there's also a data limit as to how many transactions you can stuff into a new block.

Yeah there's a data limit on how much data you can stuff into a block. It's effectively a limit on transactions, since transactions have a minimum possible size. In practice, transactions are much bigger than that minimum, so you get even less throughput.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's also the added possibility of your transaction landing in an orphaned chain (which happens when two miners happen to guess the correct number at the same time, the chain that ends up being longer due to the next block being found faster wins). So you can't rely on a transaction going through just because it was included in a single block. And with smaller coins like Bitcoin Gold, this was used to scam exchanges.

Everything about Bitcorn is stupid.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
So wait, do the transactions get more expensive over time too then as a result of the bitcoins having the work required to mine scaling over time?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Forseti posted:

So wait, do the transactions get more expensive over time too then as a result of the bitcoins having the work required to mine scaling over time?

Yes, deflationary pressure is built in.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
Gonna sell a NFT and then change the file the URL points to to goatse.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
why not just sell the goatman

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forseti posted:

You can choose what transaction fee to pay, so you can pay what you want! If you don't pick the right number, your transaction will sit around for days until some miner's algorithm takes pity on you, or until the system just gives up and drops the transaction. As a result of the glorious invisible hand of the free market this builds in to the system, transaction fees are up to like fifty bucks or something now.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Plank Walker posted:

there is however, no minimum. so those 10 minutes of mining can be used on exactly 0 waiting transactions, plus the 1 transaction of where to send the reward btc for mining the block.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the logical end state of bitcoin is going to be like those big rocks in the pacific which are too big to move, but people still count as money through memory of ownership

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/adamferrier/status/1371600540640059398

Vegemite has cured racism

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
coinbase is basically that, yes. buy coins and trade them on their postgres instances. basically cornered the market on peeps who can do kyc and follow aml

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Don't feel bad.

Every time I think I've gotten to the bottom of NFTs, I find out there's yet another layer underneath and it's even stupider that the last. I still can't quite believe these things are really happening and people are paying a LOT of money for them.

I mean they make a lot of sense to me as a money laundering vehicle, which both explains why they are happening and why people are paying a lot of money for them. The surprise then is that the state is allowing any of this poo poo to be legal, which also makes sense when you realize that a lot of lawmakers either are too old to understand what the gently caress when it comes to anything computer related or have an interest in money laundering, either for themselves or their backers. Especially the kind that is difficult for the general public to understand.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

I mean they make a lot of sense to me as a money laundering vehicle, which both explains why they are happening and why people are paying a lot of money for them. The surprise then is that the state is allowing any of this poo poo to be legal, which also makes sense when you realize that a lot of lawmakers either are too old to understand what the gently caress when it comes to anything computer related or have an interest in money laundering, either for themselves or their backers. Especially the kind that is difficult for the general public to understand.

lmao @ the lawmakers being so old that their dementia addled brains are incapable of forming new memories. many such cases.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
NFTs increase demand for Ethereum, driving up its value, and for transactions, driving up transaction rewards. Both of this things encourage more mining.

It is absolutely fair to say that trading NFTs uses a lot of energy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

That's not entirely fair to the lawmakers. Some of them are both to old and stupid to understand AND have an interest in money laundering.

Also some of the younger ones have legitimate brain worms and think that less regulation is always better.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Why are they always talking about plans to steer asteroids away from hitting us? Has anyone considered that maybe we should shoot some nukes at the one that's supposed to near miss in 2028 or whatever to correct its course for a direct hit?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No no no you gotta break it up into a shotgun blast aimed directly at Earth

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

No no no you gotta break it up into a shotgun blast aimed directly at Earth

thats about all nuking an asteroid on a collision course would accomplish

Capital demands instead that mineral rich asteroids turn Africa into a crater and get mined at minimal expense. maybe after fomenting conflict among the survivors over mining rights.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

kaschei posted:

thats about all nuking an asteroid on a collision course would accomplish

Well yeah, that's why you shoot it now so you can do it with the tiny push of the shock wave of a nearby detonation

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Forseti posted:

Why are they always talking about plans to steer asteroids away from hitting us? Has anyone considered that maybe we should shoot some nukes at the one that's supposed to near miss in 2028 or whatever to correct its course for a direct hit?

i'm a manifestation of earth's consciousness and i support this message

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forseti posted:

I think we needed to do that before it passed through this one region of space a few years ago. I'm sure another one will be by some time though.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i'm a manifestation of earth's consciousness and i support this message

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2GlgyF8yE

could use another billion years of that

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

the logical end state of bitcoin is going to be like those big rocks in the pacific which are too big to move, but people still count as money through memory of ownership
Except Yap coinage is cool as hell, and raises the sea level by far less.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
blasting them into such tiny pieces but at such a volume that they burn up before they hit the ground but the entire atmosphere is mainly silica giving us all instant miners lung, collectively gasping for air until we all suffocate in a painful but deserved end, a month later it all settles on the surface and the insects and whalesfish rule the earth.

edit; poo poo the whales breathe air, they will be necessary collateral damage with all other mammals

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 11:40 on Mar 17, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I know they did not do it to piss off australian gammons who feel strongly about vegemite and also brown people, but it's a pleasant side effect of an otherwise totally generic corporate thing.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

fanfic insert posted:

blasting them into such tiny pieces but at such a volume that they burn up before they hit the ground but the entire atmosphere is mainly silica giving us all instant miners lung, collectively gasping for air until we all suffocate in a painful but deserved end, a month later it all settles on the surface and the insects and whalesfish rule the earth.

edit; poo poo the whales breathe air, they will be necessary collateral damage with all other mammals

no problem, the whales will return to sirius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-XaaTqOICU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1371893202345545730?s=19

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

reminds me of abandoned shacks and former drug houses in SF selling for $1 million+

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Only $1 million?! What a bargain