Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chairface posted:

nah, there IS pve content in warthunder, just almost no one plays it and the rewards are awful.

Right, like I said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

gohuskies posted:

I played Halo 1 way back when it came back and remembered having a lot of fun with it. During a recent sale I got the Halo collection on steam and there is a lot of Halo to play now. Unless I really want to commit a ton of hours and binge through all the campaigns, are there any of the Halos that have particularly good or particularly bad single player campaigns? Any reason not to play in release order?

Release order is mostly fine, they're all good but the best ones are towards the front.

1 is a personal favourite, the gameplay is great fun and it doesn't commit any of its sequels' crimes. It's definitely flawed (and even the anniversary graphics only do so much) but if you're susceptible to nostalgia it's great.
2 is, imo, the best, and looks pretty fantastic with the anniversary graphics. It still feels a lot like 1 but with more time and money poured it.
3 is also very good. Graphically it won't look great after 2:A and it's not such a leap forward but it's a good end to the original trilogy.
ODST is interesting as a look into the world away from Master Chief, but it doesn't really add much else over 3. It doesn't really add much you haven't already seen, either in gameplay or lore. Note that chronologically it takes place during/right after H2 so it does feel slightly out of place if you play in release order.
Reach is great. It's got the best characters and impactful moments (if you're susceptible to having feelings about space marines) and is worth it for that alone. Gameplay-wise it's pretty similar to 3 and ODST, so it depends how you feel about that. It's also a prequel to 1, so again it may feel out of place story-wise. I'd choose it over ODST if you are going to skip one of these.
4 kind of jumps the shark and lands directly up it's own arse thematically, and story wise. It's still a good shooter, but the weakest game in MCC, and set apart from the others in a lot of ways. It's skippable if you decide you've played enough Halo by the time you get here.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
What are the best in-browser games on the internet?

So far I've got Town of Salem and Boardgameonline.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Sucrose posted:

You can play a bunch of board games at boardgamearena, tabletopia, and Yucata

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

you have the excellent tetr.io for tetris (+ battle royale mode) and you can also play many board games like codenames online!

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Hey everyone, could someone recommend a modern equivalent to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2, for local couch co op?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

canada jezus posted:

Hey everyone, could someone recommend a modern equivalent to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2, for local couch co op?

Champions of Norath lol

Serious answer, I don't think there is much like that around right now, not couch co op anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There's an actual new Dark Alliance coming out in June if that works

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I finished up Pathfinder Kingmaker and am looking for other turn based CRPG party games. I definitely lean more combat than story. I returned Solesta or whatever it’s called (the 5e DnD game in early access) because i didn’t see combat after an hour of play.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looking for a chill couch co-op or controller passer game for switch with cool atmosphere. Preferably on switch, but will take PC or PS4.

We loved playing inside. The immersive atmosphere and background story telling were really neat. The game itself was also challenging enough without being too punishing or requiring twitch skills. It was great to pass the controller back and forth on each death.

Something like that would be great. The S/O isn't really a gamer but appreciates the games with great atmosphere.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naramyth posted:

I finished up Pathfinder Kingmaker and am looking for other turn based CRPG party games. I definitely lean more combat than story. I returned Solesta or whatever it’s called (the 5e DnD game in early access) because i didn’t see combat after an hour of play.

Pillars of Eternity 2 now has a turn based mode, and is very good. Plenty of combat, but is definitely a more narrative focused game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Sucrose posted:

There's more, ask in the board game thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687728

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Champions of Norath lol

Serious answer, I don't think there is much like that around right now, not couch co op anyway.

We can make ps4 and pc crossplay work if that changes things. I do imagine i'm kind of out of luck.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's an actual new Dark Alliance coming out in June if that works

Well poo poo, i guess i'm waiting till june.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Crazy recommendation question. I'm a teacher hosting a 'video game night' for my school. It's for a bunch of middle schoolers and I work in a school in a very poor area. I thought I had this all figured out, let's all just play Among Us for about an hour. Lo and behold, now that I'm researching things, Among Us costs money! I thought it was free.

Can anyone think of any free to play games that would appropriate for school (and middle schoolers)? I think one of the biggest obstacles is going to be the fact that every student at my school has a school-issued Chromebook. Or maybe even a few games? I'm going to have, maybe, between 10-30 students and I have to entertain them.

I greatly appreciate the help because after Googling a ton of things. I am at a complete loss.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

MussoliniB posted:

Crazy recommendation question. I'm a teacher hosting a 'video game night' for my school. It's for a bunch of middle schoolers and I work in a school in a very poor area. I thought I had this all figured out, let's all just play Among Us for about an hour. Lo and behold, now that I'm researching things, Among Us costs money! I thought it was free.

Can anyone think of any free to play games that would appropriate for school (and middle schoolers)? I think one of the biggest obstacles is going to be the fact that every student at my school has a school-issued Chromebook. Or maybe even a few games? I'm going to have, maybe, between 10-30 students and I have to entertain them.

I greatly appreciate the help because after Googling a ton of things. I am at a complete loss.

Among Us costs money on Steam, but the mobile version is free (has ads though). You could also try something like Jackbox Party games, which costs money for the host running the game, but then up to 7 mobile players can connect free. Other than that, most free games on seam are mmos or shooters, so I don't know if you want to expose them to that. Maybe something like Trove?

https://codenames.game/ is an official free browser version of Codenames, it rules.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

MussoliniB posted:

There's https://www.jackboxgames.com/how-to-play/ where one game has to be purchased for a whole bunch of people to join. I'm not sure what the group limits are, though...

[edit] ^^ 7, apparently!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MussoliniB posted:

My daughter, an elementary school social worker, has been using Roblox successfully when doing remote therapy. Normally (what is this normality thing?) in person she plays things like Uno, because elementary school kids aren't great at introspection.

All I know about Roblox is that it is free and kids like it; maybe somebody else in this thread will know more. You can play it on a Chromebook, if the kids are allowed to install apps, which they probably aren't. :( https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/news-how-install-play-roblox-chromebook

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Jackbox Party Packs are the right answer.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

MussoliniB posted:

Teeworlds has a free web version and should be pretty fun for middle schoolers. https://teeworlds.leaningtech.com/#header

Assuming your students have a mouse this should meet all your criteria very well.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 17, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My daughter, an elementary school social worker, has been using Roblox successfully when doing remote therapy. Normally (what is this normality thing?) in person she plays things like Uno, because elementary school kids aren't great at introspection.

All I know about Roblox is that it is free and kids like it; maybe somebody else in this thread will know more. You can play it on a Chromebook, if the kids are allowed to install apps, which they probably aren't. :( https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/news-how-install-play-roblox-chromebook

Roblox has a bunch of good content for kids but it also has some inappropriate content (slot machines, other gambling, graphic horror), due to the game allowing modders to earn money from micro transactions. Any educator hosting Roblox should plan activities ahead of time and have some experience with the game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sorry for the double post, I am inept at using my new phone :downs:

MussoliniB posted:

Might be worth checking if there is a local children’s esports club you could cooperate with.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

MussoliniB posted:

https://skribbl.io/ is free online Pictionary

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

canada jezus posted:

Have you tried Diablo 3 on consoles? It reminded me of the Dark Alliance games.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

MussoliniB posted:

I was a technology teacher a decade or so ago, and my middle school students enjoyed playing Armagetron at the end of class. Its free and we were able to run a local server on a windows network. It looks like there is a linux client, and I think chromebooks are some sort of linux based OS? Might be worth checking out.

http://www.armagetronad.org/

Another thing I recall the middleschoolers really enjoying was Sketchup. Looks like they have an education version that runs in browsers now. https://edu.sketchup.com/app

good luck!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i asked in here[EDIT: apparently not in this thread, maybe in the strategy games thread lol] a while ago if dwarfheim was any good and the response i got was "it's pretty mediocre"

the concept is still really loving cool though, and the steam reviews seem to have shifted from mixed to mostly positive. game's still in early access, has it seen any substantial improvements? is it a fun game now?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 19, 2021

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So thanks to EA Play being added to Game Pass I was finally able to try everyone's favorite game ever, Anthem, and hey, it's a dumpster fire but it's a good looking game where you can fly around, which I actually had a lot of fun with!

So I guess I'm kinda looking for recommendations for games where you can just, like, jump up, fly around and explore a neat environment. Are there any that people could recommend?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just Cause 2 and 3 are pretty great for flying shenanigans. You can basically spend the entire game airborne doing stupid stunts and exploding things. The open world isn't super interesting but its a good playground.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Agreed. If you also want to be a giant monster and explore the environment while casually crashing through enemies like a wrecking ball, I recommend Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype 1 (especially once you get the blood glide in the latter). I've also heard that Spider-Man for the PS4 has extremely fun movement but I've yet to play it myself so I can't say for sure.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Don't do this to yourself. Get Prototype 2.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Prototype 2 is just such a mean and depressing world, even if Prototype 1 feels kinda barebones sometimes and the story's not compelling. Of course, my favorite in the series is the game where they invented most of those mechanics: Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. There's even colors other than red and brown.

If you want a modern game that you can definitely get on modern systems, there's the new Spiderman game, but if you're in it for the scenery, you kinda zoom by everything a bit too fast.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Prototype 1 has one of those problems where it's good on its own, but really hard to go back to after you've played the sequel. Hence, recommending 1 first.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

PMush Perfect posted:

Prototype 1 has one of those problems where it's good on its own, but really hard to go back to after you've played the sequel. Hence, recommending 1 first.

I believe that must be the case, because I have nothing but great memories of that first game. I even thought, while playing 2, that there were a lot of things I missed about the first game. I definitely wouldn't skip right to 2.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Hulk: UD loving ruled. There were some annoying gameplay concessions, like how tanks just kinda wobble around instead of fly into space (because the game does need challenging stakes at some point), but the general feel of it was incredibly good for getting your HULK SMASH on. Of course Hulk can just run up a building, you imbecile. You loving moron.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Saints Row 4 is good for jumping around like a maniac in

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

SlothfulCobra posted:

Prototype 2 is just such a mean and depressing world, even if Prototype 1 feels kinda barebones sometimes and the story's not compelling. Of course, my favorite in the series is the game where they invented most of those mechanics: Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. There's even colors other than red and brown.

If you want a modern game that you can definitely get on modern systems, there's the new Spiderman game, but if you're in it for the scenery, you kinda zoom by everything a bit too fast.

Is there a recent SM game on something other than Playstation?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So thanks to EA Play being added to Game Pass I was finally able to try everyone's favorite game ever, Anthem, and hey, it's a dumpster fire but it's a good looking game where you can fly around, which I actually had a lot of fun with!

So I guess I'm kinda looking for recommendations for games where you can just, like, jump up, fly around and explore a neat environment. Are there any that people could recommend?

Superflight is pretty cool. I couldn't quite figure out how to slow down reliably without stalling but it otherwise feels good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Maybe an off the wall rec, but if you like MMOs at all, then the (almost dead but still fan maintained) MMO City of Heroes had great movement and is still playable. There are big city zones, you can get superspeed, super jumping, flight or teleporting and leap tall buildings or fly between tower blocks and all that. There are installation instructions here https://forums.homecomingservers.com/

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I've been hunting for a "fly around and try to land on cool things" game since the original Pilot Wings free flight mode.

So far the best option is MS Flight Simulator with arcade controls all turned on and all crashes turned off. Bonus if you get the 2020 version because it's literally exploring the real world, including realtime weather conditions for that part of the world (if you want), and you can land on whatever landmark you want with crashing turned off. But it is a flight sim and there's nothing else to the game unless you want to get all realistic about it and go off the deep end. Works fine with a controller on the easy difficulties though. Also if you opt for the (much) cheaper FSX version instead of the 2020 version, the world is just a mass of blobby textures that are not nearly as exciting to explore, and it's really unappealing after looking at 2020 screenshots.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I was posting in the Before I Play thread about Pillars of Eternity (it's my first old school-esque CRPG), and got some lukewarm responses about it like:

quote:

That might just be the only way to enjoy it, sad as it is. Pillars is designed to be exactly like the kind of game that people loved when it was new in the 90s. It has no appreciation whatsoever for the fact that literally 90% of people who will ever play the game have seen absolutely all of this before.

Which is totally fair, PoE is fun.. but good not great. I'm looking for the Greatest Hits of CRPGs to add to my pile of poo poo to play during COVID times. I've looked through reddit and some IGN type "best of the best" lists.

So far on my schedule is:
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 (seems to be the recommended one of the series)
  • Avadon series
  • Planescape Torment
  • new(ish) Shadowrun series
  • UnderRail
  • Baldur's Gate 2 (seems to be the recommended one of the series)

I don't mind older games as long as they run properly on Windows 10. Preferably fantasy but any genre is fine. Any others stand out that should be in this pile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
a lot of people complain about the mechanics of Fallout 1 & 2 but if you don't instinctively recoil from turn-based stuff they're better than any of the Infinity Engine games of that era

maybe also look into Arcanum and Geneforge (the latter in particular just got a modernized remake)