Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Did anything ever come of that updated request to Laurels for data on assessments?

Not that I know of, its' been only a few days since It was reported on.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

Zarah Sultana seems to be the only shining light in labour right now.

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2021/03/zarah-sultana-the-police-crackdown-bill-is-dystopian

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Saviour posted:

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2021/03/zarah-sultana-the-police-crackdown-bill-is-dystopian

Bell Riberio-Addy too, but I doubt she'll grab the public's attention the same way.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

26 YEARS?!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

that waiting list is now longer than I have been alive.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1371774259408859136?s=21

I like the way all these reports decline to say whether he’s left hospital dead or alive

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Answers Me posted:

I like the way all these reports decline to say whether he’s left hospital dead or alive

Functionally there's no difference anymore.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Also relevant: West Yorkshire copper charged with rape (reported yesterday)

For a sec I thought 'copper' was 'ripper' and was really confused

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TheRat posted:

For a sec I thought 'copper' was 'ripper' and was really confused

Look, they went with the charges most likely to stick, alright?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1371774259408859136?s=21

BREAKING: Duke of Edinburgh installed onto a "golden throne", psychic racists sought for new renewable energy team

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ah, so good it belongs in the Schadenfreude thread. Let us take a moment to reflect on how humiliating it must be for Burchill to publish that, including the no-doubt mandated request that people re-tweet it. it's almost as good as Hopkins's apology to the Finsbury Park Mosque, which she had to make as she couldn't pay damages, after being bankrupted for libeling Jack Monroe.

This is a surprisingly good piece of the effect of Covid in the E London Covid triangle. I say surprising because even though it's the FT it does not go easy on austerity, wealth disparities, racism, inequality, etc and how those have played out.

https://www.ft.com/content/0e63541a-8b6d-4bec-8b59-b391bf44a492?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
The end goal of terfs is to institute person by person genital Inspections for any and everyone entering a gendered space

Everyday is dick inspection day

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is the context needed to interpret Owl's numbers from earlier. It could have been the case that people were exiting and leaving the GIC referral lists at roughly the same rate, meaning that 5 years and change was just how long the process takes. But knowing that they are not, the numbers become indicative of a system that is either starved of support or being purposefully obstructive (if not both).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
So Vitamin P do you still think the GICs don't need complete root and branch reform at bare minimum?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

This is the context needed to interpret Owl's numbers from earlier. It could have been the case that people were exiting and leaving the GIC referral lists at roughly the same rate, meaning that 5 years and change was just how long the process takes. But knowing that they are not, the numbers become indicative of a system that is either starved of support or being purposefully obstructive (if not both).

People probably thought I was being absurdly hyperbolic when I said the UK's approach to transitioning is to essentially force a trans person to desist or die waiting if they cannot afford private sector healthcare

Its increasingly clear that's the official plan.

Inaction/apathy is in itself an action; the vast majority of cis people simply don't give enough of a poo poo for this to change anytime soon , even if they hold positive, affirming views towards trans people.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 16, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

therattle posted:

Ah, so good it belongs in the Schadenfreude thread. Let us take a moment to reflect on how humiliating it must be for Burchill to publish that, including the no-doubt mandated request that people re-tweet it. it's almost as good as Hopkins's apology to the Finsbury Park Mosque, which she had to make as she couldn't pay damages, after being bankrupted for libeling Jack Monroe.

This is a surprisingly good piece of the effect of Covid in the E London Covid triangle. I say surprising because even though it's the FT it does not go easy on austerity, wealth disparities, racism, inequality, etc and how those have played out.

https://www.ft.com/content/0e63541a-8b6d-4bec-8b59-b391bf44a492?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Some of the comments under that article though! (Haven't read them all.)
My wealthy brother has always said the FT is left wing.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I do keep hearing of people who read Capital and go "yes, more of that please"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ash Crimson posted:

People probably thought I was being absurdly hyperbolic when I said the UK's approach to transitioning is to essentially force a trans person to desist or die waiting if they cannot afford private sector healthcare

Inaction/apathy is in itself an action; the vast majority of cis people simply don't give enough of a poo poo for this to change anytime soon , even if they hold positive, affirming views towards trans people.

It's a bit like neutrality is not morally neutral.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I am now wise enough to generally avoid comments sections. Very little good can come from them!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Answers Me posted:

There's a picture but tbh it's still hard to tell

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
literally looks like one of those preserved bog bodies

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Phil and Murdoch are actual literal liches and there’s nothing that will convince me otherwise

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Convex posted:

Where's the phylachtery

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ash Crimson posted:

Where's the phylachtery

is this antisemitism?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ring the by-election bell, the Labour MP for Hartlepool has resigned with immediate effect

https://twitter.com/jtw_25_51/status/1371790646151905283?s=20

Seems like an awful person.

Hill had a majority of 3,595 so will be interesting to see if the Tories can overturn that.

Also worth noting the Brexit Party got over 10,000 votes in 2019

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 16, 2021

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1371791766647681024?s=21

They are absolutely going to lose that seat

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ash Crimson posted:

It's not a new tactic. The idea for mentally ill people is to stop being mentally ill or die. Maybe it was the prototype for many types of NHS treatment going forward.

The bright side is this time it won't hurt.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's not a new tactic. The idea for mentally ill people is to stop being mentally ill or die. Maybe it was the prototype for many types of NHS treatment going forward.

The bright side is this time it won't hurt.

Possibly it even helps get Starmer out, losing a 3,500 majority combined with humiliation in local & Scottish elections in May.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Answers Me posted:

They are absolutely going to lose that seat

Tory majority go brrrrrrrr

I wonder if Kieth will end up bringing Corbyn back in just to avoid dropping below 200 seats.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I am very bad at photoshop

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

I say surprising because even though it's the FT it does not go easy on austerity, wealth disparities, racism, inequality, etc and how those have played out.
Its come up before itt, but the FT is probably one of the best British newspapers for that kind of reporting, if only because their readers expect something approaching reality for their investments or strategy meetings, so they have a reduced latitude to engage in flag waving, conspiracy woo, or other kinds of nonsense.

I can't find it right now, but their report on the privatization of water in England last year is a very good read, because the outcomes of that for anyone depending on functioning infrastructure (or even investment into anything other than executive bonuses) have been terrible.

Convex posted:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’d say a good 50% of the trans women I know, and rising, have ended up in Thailand in their early 30s having only ever seen a GP. The rest are disabled and therefore too poor to afford it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yes, because then if they put the freshly legalised RapeCops™ in every bar, there'll be no victims left for anybody else!

A very clear, concise and well constructed apology, which is why I do not believe for one second that she was anywhere near writing it.

Also am I missing something or does she manage to link Islam to terrorism even in her apology?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guavanaut posted:

Its come up before itt, but the FT is probably one of the best British newspapers for that kind of reporting, if only because their readers expect something approaching reality for their investments or strategy meetings, so they have a reduced latitude to engage in flag waving, conspiracy woo, or other kinds of nonsense.

I can't find it right now, but their report on the privatization of water in England last year is a very good read, because the outcomes of that for anyone depending on functioning infrastructure (or even investment into anything other than executive bonuses) have been terrible.

Yeah, I think it's been said for years that the Financial Times is one of the better papers for a leftist to read since it's for the capital class, not just another propaganda rag, so it has reasons to report accurately on things that might affect the bottom line, since it's the job of the other papers to massage it to a capital-friendly message.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That and it cuts out all the culture war poo poo and other white noise. It's a blessed relief to go on a newspaper website and see, at the absolute peak, one tiny sidebar story about Harry and Meghan.

Incidentally the FT accounts system accepts full stops in GMail addresses as being different accounts so I just re-register for the £1 a month trial sub every month. Avoids the price issue.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

learnincurve posted:

I’d say a good 50% of the trans women I know, and rising, have ended up in Thailand in their early 30s having only ever seen a GP. The rest are disabled and therefore too poor to afford it.

This almost feels like you are saying that trans women are only valid if we have or want to have surgery

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

The Saviour posted:

She's the reason I'm still holding onto my membership at the moment. It's probably a long shot, but on the off chance Keith falls and she gets on the ballot. She seems to be being pushed by the left for more exposure etc ... so it's plausible that she might get the SCG nomination. I've seen numerous centrist and rightwing people positively share her stuff on facebook too.

But every time Kier speaks my hand hovers over the cancel direct debit button.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A very clear, concise and well constructed apology, which is why I do not believe for one second that she was anywhere near writing it.

Also am I missing something or does she manage to link Islam to terrorism even in her apology?
That will have been an agreed apology drafted by solicitors. Ash's solicitors probably produced the first draft & then there will have been some back-and-forth with amendments.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Article by Diane Abbott on Labour abstaining on human rights issues (or, rather, Starmer insisting on abstentions.)

https://labourlist.org/2021/03/labour-needs-to-think-about-the-merit-of-any-legislation-not-the-red-wall/

quote:

15th March, 2021, 11:20 am
Labour needs to think about the merit of any legislation, not the “Red Wall”
Diane Abbott

Leader Keir Starmer has agreed at the last minute that the Labour Party should vote against the police, crime, sentencing and courts bill due to be debated in parliament this week. But alarmingly his original position was that Labour MPs should abstain, although everyone knew that the bill was really about cracking down on peaceful protest. In particular, Tory MPs had been upset by the successful peaceful protests led by organisations like environmental campaign group Extinction Rebellion.

Abstaining on a human rights matter like this is a nonsense. Labour ought to know where it stands on this type of issue. But sadly it has been clear for some time that Keir and his advisers take the view that there is almost nothing the Tories can bring forward on policing or security that they are prepared to oppose. They are not concerned about the intrinsic merit of any legislation. Their main issue is that they are convinced that, by moving right on policing, security and human rights, they can lure “Red Wall” voters back into the arms of the Labour Party.

So Labour in parliament has abstained on a series of human rights issues. The first example of this was the overseas operations bill. This legislation was designed to make it even harder to prosecute crimes committed by British soldiers. It was an attempt to put our soldiers above the law. And it would have effectively decriminalised torture.

It wasn’t just left-wing Labour MPs who thought these things. Field Marshal Lord Guthrie, former chief of the defence staff, expressed his dismay that the bill would let “torturers off the hook”. Michael Clarke, former director-general of the Royal United Services Institute, argued that the proposals “fly in the face of international legal norms”.

Elizabeth Wilmshurst, former deputy legal adviser at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, suggests that the bill calls into question the UK’s commitment to a “rules-based international system”. And almost a dozen United Nations human rights special rapporteurs and experts said the bill would violate the “UK’s obligations under international humanitarian law, human rights law and international criminal law”.

But Keir was unmoved by the views of actual army generals on this legislation, and he insisted that Labour MPs abstain at second reading. Many of us rebelled and voted against it anyway, but the Labour Party should not have been abstaining in the first place.

More recently, there was the ‘spycops’ bill. Its official title was the covert human intelligence sources (criminal conduct) bill. It will give a host of state agencies, including the police and the security services, the power to licence its agents and officers to commit grave crimes in advance, even here in the United Kingdom.

Police spies have abused innocent campaigners in the UK for decades – ranging from environmental activists to trade unions and race equality campaigners. Undercover police infiltrated the grieving family of the murdered black teenager, Stephen Lawrence, during their quest for justice. Even former Tory Prime Minister David Cameron found they were responsible for “shocking levels of state collusion” in the murder of lawyer Pat Finucane in Northern Ireland.

But, despite the fact that some his own Labour MPs and a number of trade unions had been the victims of undercover policing, Keir insisted that Labour MPs abstain on the legislation, at both second and third reading. Again, some of us rebelled, but the bill passed through the House of Commons with tacit Labour support.

This week, the government wanted to debate their police, crime, sentencing and courts bill. Keir Starmer wanted to abstain on it. The campaign group Liberty summed up the problems with the legislation when it said: “These plans are a staggering assault on our right to protest as well as an attack on other fundamental rights. Police already have extensive powers to restrict protests, and frequently go beyond them even though it is their duty to facilitate the exercise of this right. The proposals in the policing bill are an opportunistic bid from the government to permanently erode our rights.”

Once again, Keir Starmer was unmoved by the arguments of human rights campaigners. But at the weekend women campaigning on violence against women wanted to hold a peaceful vigil in Clapham Common near where the murder victim Sarah Everard was last seen alive. The local Lambeth police, who understood how strongly people felt about Sarah’s death, were prepared to work with campaigners and facilitate a peaceful socially distanced vigil. But Scotland Yard, led by Cressida Dick, insisted on banning any gathering at all. Predictably, people came to the vigil anyway.

The resultant images of male police officers manhandling and handcuffing women, who were actually on a peaceful vigil about male violence, horrified the public. It also demonstrated that police had plenty of powers to deal with peaceful protest. The real issue was stopping the police abuse of existing powers. In this context, even the leadership realised that abstaining on legislation designed to give the police even more powers to crack down on peaceful protest was simply not sustainable.

I am glad we are actually voting against this legislation. But I will be even more glad if Labour stops abstaining on these issues and begins to restate the case to our supporters for justice, civil liberties and human rights.

Not sure the public is that horrified to be honest, not now the cops have hitched the vigil to the BLM, XR and anti-statues-of-appalling-racists/genocidists/slaver-protests.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Convex posted:

Someone Photoshop his face onto Darth Sidious electrocuting Luke TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I think it's been said for years that the Financial Times is one of the better papers for a leftist to read since it's for the capital class, not just another propaganda rag, so it has reasons to report accurately on things that might affect the bottom line, since it's the job of the other papers to massage it to a capital-friendly message.

The FT unironically gave Corbyn and McDonnell's economic policies a fairer hearing than just about anywhere else in the press.