Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Potato Salad posted:

Did I miss a disclosure from last week that reveals that a law enforcement / intelligence agency has a specific program looking at domestic progressive organizers?

There hasn't been anything new about that recently. Except for maybe COINTELPRO, there haven't been any specific FBI programs targeting domestic progressive activists.

The FBI has a domestic terrorism and organized crime program that has investigated progressive groups before (they have also released reports and investigations on antifa as recently as last year - if they count as a "progressive organizer"), but there isn't a special unit just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Josef bugman posted:

Allow people in anyway, having closed the camps? If you believe that a 5 year old has walked from Venezuela to the Texas border on their own with no plan other than a dream of "America". Then either; a) they are the protagonist of a best selling young adult novel, b) they have contacts they were told to meet up with or c) they walked all the way at age 5.

If the first is true there is no need to worry and we will surely have several sequels and if the second, far more likely, thing is true then locking them up so that ICE can find their caregiver and deport them is no good either. And, outside of extreme edge cases I don't think c is going to happen.

Like, in general we shouldn't imprison people for moving to a new country.

Even if they have contacts (I'm sure many do), it's child neglect or abuse to simply wave them through. It is the responsibility of the US government to make sure the children actually make it to appropriate guardians (family or foster if no family is available) and that they are provided safety, shelter, food, legal counsel, and education during the time it takes to place them.

It was deliberate policy under Trump to make the detainment/internment/refugee facilities as inhumane and cruel as possible. Since Biden came into office there has been a massive surge in unaccompanied minors arriving at the border and the already inadequate facilities are overwhelmed. It's not a good or acceptable situation at present, but the solution is not for the gov't to simply abdicate its responsibility to those children and let them continue on unaccompanied. Your example 5 year old is going to walk, unaccompanied or maybe with some other children, hundreds of miles to try and find a relative in a foreign country that largely doesn't speak their language? Much of the border region is desert. That's a recipe for mass death, human trafficking, etc.

The current setup is not sufficient but no setup at all is far worse!

Also, they are not being held by ICE. They are now being held by ORR--the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

It's more an attempt to say that I somehow doubt that 5 year old people are making it to the USA on their own and that the people they travelled with must have something approaching a support network within the USA, otherwise it is simply a death sentence.

Sure they need to be taken care of, but last time I suggested that I was told it wasn't possible to actually look after folks. If that is the case, and if locking them up does more harm than the alternative, shouldn't we go for that?

Are people really sending unaccompanied 5 year old to travel even with people smugglers? Without any expectation for support within the USA?

I've seen some of the stats but I still don't really believe it. Surely doing so would be a death sentence?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Josef bugman posted:

Are people really sending unaccompanied 5 year old to travel even with people smugglers? Without any expectation for support within the USA?

I've seen some of the stats but I still don't really believe it. Surely doing so would be a death sentence?

Yes, they are.

And ~361 people per year on average do die trying to do it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Vasukhani posted:

basically some restaurants and cafes and retail need humans to act as atmosphere. People dont actually go places for the product most of the time

This is a really weird thing to say. It’s much more likely that folks like having a human around because automated systems are almost never set up to deal with unusual or uncommon issues.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

DandyLion posted:

If you had the votes, yes.

I can't help but feel like I'm about to suffer irony poisoning when the Dem's don't pass the filibuster only to see it summarily nuked once the Republican's regain control with less than 60 seats....

I'm pretty sure that's the plan. The filibuster is gone next time the republicans need it gone. I imagine they'll pass nationwide voter suppression laws the nanosecond they have full control of the government again.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

I mean focusing on the 5yo thing is reductive but do people just send kids here? Yes. Most times it's because it would be a death sentence to stay where they are.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Thom12255 posted:

Not sure I've seen someone openly run on the idea of getting rid of jobs.

https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1371807271404105730

more money for us,

gently caress you!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the_steve posted:

This is actually what I was going to suggest.
It's arguably more accurate from a historical standpoint, and helps avoid any Holocaust comparisons while still highlighting that they are lovely and bad and need to have something done about them.

Is it?

quote:

Roger Daniels, a historian and author, wrote an analysis for the University of Washington Press called "Words Do Matter: A Note on Inappropriate Terminology and the Incarceration of the Japanese Americans." He concludes that, although it's unlikely society will completely cease to use the phrase "Japanese internment," scholars should abandon the term and use "concentration camp." He considers internment a euphemism that minimizes a tragic time in American history.

Digging up a euphimism that the US has used in the past to excuse abuses of its own citizens to describe the camps immigrants are being held in seems really gauche and seems to be more based in avoiding truly dealing with what the US is doing to immigrants. Especially when a word that is almost certainly applicable is banned without debate because the comparison it creates makes people uncomfortable.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

more money for us,

gently caress you!

I'm hopeful that his current lead is just name recognition.

OTOH, New York has been cursed to never have a normal mayor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Morrow posted:

I'm hopeful that his current lead is just name recognition.

OTOH, New York has been cursed to never have a normal mayor.

Dinkins?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Feldegast42 posted:

When did they stop since the 60's?

Right, I know, but every once in a while more documents/testimony shows up and I thought something came out last week.

Thom12255 posted:

Not sure I've seen someone openly run on the idea of getting rid of jobs.

https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1371807271404105730

"gently caress civil rights" what? I'm sorry, what?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1371838854416711683

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kalit posted:

These aren't asylum seekers, it's unaccompanied minors that are coming across the border. Asylum seekers is a separate process and I believe are typically not unaccompanied minors.

Unaccompanied minors are counted as asylum seekers here, wasn't aware of the difference.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Solkanar512 posted:

This is a really weird thing to say. It’s much more likely that folks like having a human around because automated systems are almost never set up to deal with unusual or uncommon issues.

I mean thats true, but I also think people like interacting with people in many cases. It's kinda why restaurants and bars exist, not to mention things like bookstores.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

From this tweet to gods ears hopefully.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SourKraut posted:

This would probably take a fairly long effort post, but the quick of it is that lead has no known safe exposure limit and bioaccumulates when ingested and, particularly, it bioaccumulate in the brain. This can cause all types of significant cognitive impacts, especially in infants and children whose brains see the greatest period of brain development. This can range from stunting mental development, to problems such as anger management, paranoia, etc.

People often are (rightfully) concerned about lead piping, but lead was used as an additive in paint up until the late 1970s and even later in some cases, because it made the colors more vibrant. But when you have young children who love to touch everything, put things in their mouth, etc, it can make for very bad exposures. It also could end up as dust in the house, so then they are both inhaling and ingesting it.

They also put lead in gas starting in the 1920s to stop engine knocking, but this was especially bad because a) they already were starting to learn about the problems related to lead exposure in adults when working with leaded gas, and b) ethanol was known to have the same result in avoiding engine knocking, without the harmful exposure concerns. However GM, who “discovered” leaded gas, couldn’t patent ethanol... but they could patent the lead additive that went into leaded gas, so they ignored the safety concerns and pushed its use heavily. Ultimately it would become the dominant form of gas used for ~ 70 years

If cars had remained somewhat niche, this might not have become as big of a deal. But since the automobile did become a widespread and required means of transportation, it meant that you started seeing exhaust impacts and, in particular, lead contamination. Lead would obviously survive the combustion process and then be expelled with the other waste gases. But since lead is a heavy metal, it settles out fairly quickly into the environment.

So now you have rapid suburbanization immediately adjacent to freeways, all with cars exhausting out leaded exhaust gasses. So you have everyone living and working in these areas getting to breathe in lead outside their homes as they work/play/etc, you get kids playing in soil that sees increasing concentrations of lead thanks to the car exhaust, then they go inside where they breathe in lead dust and the kids can touch and ingest lead further.

Oh, and all of the “peak” for these issues were basically the mid-1940 up through the mid-1970s, so the entire boomer generation and early Generation X.

By the 1970s, the dangers of lead were becoming more pronounced, so they finally started phasing lead out of paints, toys, etc, but it would stay in gas for another 20 years or so, but in diminishing amounts as ethanol started to finally be used.

I’ll get you some articles to provide more in-depth analysis and to confirm the above, but this is the gist of it.

Also lead is apparently sweet; the romans used it like we do sugar, and kids ate leaded paint chips because they were tasty.

Also with the research, the increase and decline in violence tracked with the introduction and then gradual removal of leaded products with a 20-year lag time. Basically, the increased exposure increased the chance a kid wouldn't be able to control themselves as well as a teenager when impulse control is already a problem at that age, taking marginal situations and making them worse.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The secret is to be the one person in the office who knows how to automate reporting and Microsoft Excel, so when you get an assignment they give you a timeline they think it would take them. Then, you just shitpost and do your taxes for 4 hours and work for 3 hours.

I showed a major lobbying firm how to automate dozens of processes and the response was either:

1) "Awesome! Now, we can give you more work."

or

2) "I've been doing it manually for 20 years and now I look like a moron and people expect me to be done faster, but I refuse to learn how to use a computer. Why did you do this to me?"

That's why you just do it on your own and never tell anyone.

There was a goon who had a woman in his office complaining about how she had to look up lots of website data, renter it manually, then process it and run reports off it. He went and automated the process with a website scraper and custom macros, turning a two-day turnaround into an effort of minutes.

When he showed her, she was angry. That's when he realized she wasn't complaining, she was bragging about how hard she worked.

And then I think she got cut loose the next time they were layoffs :smith:

Lumpy posted:

Imagine living in a system where when you automate 50% of the work, you don't fire half the employees, you just have everyone work half as much for the same pay.

:sigh:

Exactly. That story about the efficiency and productivity at the pin factory and firing half the workers instead of keeping pay the same and everyone just works less is instructive

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 16, 2021

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

the_steve posted:

This is actually what I was going to suggest.
It's arguably more accurate from a historical standpoint, and helps avoid any Holocaust comparisons while still highlighting that they are lovely and bad and need to have something done about them.

Co-signed

Condiv posted:

Digging up a euphimism that the US has used in the past to excuse abuses of its own citizens to describe the camps immigrants are being held in seems really gauche and seems to be more based in avoiding truly dealing with what the US is doing to immigrants. Especially when a word that is almost certainly applicable is banned without debate because the comparison it creates makes people uncomfortable.

And I've seen other scholars say we should instead refer to Japanese Interment as "Japanese-American Incarceration". But this thread isn't for debating that or what can be called a concentration camp and what cannot.

We didn't ban the word because it makes people uncomfortable, so no idea where that came from. I said to stop using it in this context because it's use tends to automatically associate with the ones used by Nazi Germany and it throws all nuance and context out the window, and then people just start arguing about that term instead of the actual problem at hand, which isn't what this thread is for. So again, drop it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The secret is to be the one person in the office who knows how to automate reporting and Microsoft Excel, so when you get an assignment they give you a timeline they think it would take them. Then, you just shitpost and do your taxes for 4 hours and work for 3 hours.

I showed a major lobbying firm how to automate dozens of processes and the response was either:

1) "Awesome! Now, we can give you more work."

or

2) "I've been doing it manually for 20 years and now I look like a moron and people expect me to be done faster, but I refuse to learn how to use a computer. Why did you do this to me?"

That's why you just do it on your own and never tell anyone.

The real trick is to show people the simple stuff/give them some prepackaged tools with rounded corners that can be taught clearly, but keep the more advanced stuff that will likely just cause frustration to yourself.

I automated a bunch of data-entry processes of my own initiative during my grad-school internship and the response was to treat me like I was the second coming of Jesus Christ and give me a job. It was management types so they were thrilled to get the work off their plate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

It’s also begging/demanding funding from donors and poo poo.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

At what point is Biden responsible for the state of things, rather than just cleaning up various messes that happened under Trump? What is the timeline for it being okay to be mad at him for any of this?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Surely you therefore count any child like that as a refugee not a migrant, and have something set up so that you aren't throwing them into awful conditions.

But I was told that things used to work differently? How unaccompanied individuals would be asked to return at set dates and things like that. Not no system but a none carcereal system? Why can't that be set up again?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

threats to automate order-taking are nothing more than a class based threat to beat workers into compliance. if it were easy to make a touchscreen comprehensible to all customers, it would have been done already. POS systems which are fast are also tricky to use
Sheetz has been using touchscreen kiosk ordering since the mid-90's and it works fine. Some sit-down restaurants (I think Red Robin is one of them?) have already started rolling out tabletop devices to replace wait staff, and McDonalds is already rolling out ordering kiosks. It technologically dovetails with online ordering, which a ton of places have now adopted because of COVID. Kiosk/mobile+table service is cheaper for the restaurants and customers like it more than counter order/pickup anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OneEightHundred posted:

Sheetz has been using touchscreen kiosk ordering since the mid-90's and it works fine. Some sit-down restaurants (I think Red Robin is one of them?) have already started rolling out tabletop devices to replace wait staff, and McDonalds is already rolling out ordering kiosks. It technologically dovetails with online ordering, which a ton of places have now adopted because of COVID. Kiosk/mobile+table service is cheaper for the restaurants and customers like it more than counter order/pickup anyway.

I would not personally use those table side touchscreens because if there's anything Covid taught me it's that Americans are a disgusting people who will do all kinds of nasty poo poo and never wash their hands, even if they are going to be eating.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Surely you therefore count any child like that as a refugee not a migrant, and have something set up so that you aren't throwing them into awful conditions.

But I was told that things used to work differently? How unaccompanied individuals would be asked to return at set dates and things like that. Not no system but a none carcereal system? Why can't that be set up again?

You know, people have pointed out I don't know how many times that right now, under Biden, KIDS ARE BEING TREATED AS REFUGEES. AND BEING PROCESSED/CARED FOR BY THE DEPT THAT DEALS WITH REFUGEES. Like, box checked. We keep going in these goddamn circles because acknowledging Biden is, in fact, not Trump and not running things like Trump, is something some folks ITT seem immune to.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1371840899110559746

Yes, just imagine what it would be like if the Senate was gridlocked and unable to get anything done.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Insanite posted:

At what point is Biden responsible for the state of things, rather than just cleaning up various messes that happened under Trump? What is the timeline for it being okay to be mad at him for any of this?

He's responsible right now. Cleaning up things is part of his responsibility.

Obama inherited the worst economic disaster since the great depression and got hammered for it as if he caused it. Whether it is fair or not.

Trump inherited an economy that had grown uninterrupted in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 and he got credit for it.

It can be both their responsibility to clean something up and also not their fault that is happening.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Josef bugman posted:

Adult individuals used to be given court dates and released. The Biden administration has started doing that again.

They never just released unaccompanied kids.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

VH4Ever posted:

You know, people have pointed out I don't know how many times that right now, under Biden, KIDS ARE BEING TREATED AS REFUGEES. AND BEING PROCESSED/CARED FOR BY THE DEPT THAT DEALS WITH REFUGEES. Like, box checked. We keep going in these goddamn circles because acknowledging Biden is, in fact, not Trump and not running things like Trump, is something some folks ITT seem immune to.

From a personal point of view its because of seeing things like lawyers not being allowed to go and see kids and so on.

But I am probably being unfair. Sorry.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Handsome Ralph posted:

IK Hat on

I get that the migrant situation is complex and that people's emotions are going to flare up while talking about it and how to handle it. People are going to disagree and that's fine so long as no one is openly lusting for migrant death. Having said that, two things...

-If you're not going to bother engaging with the point being made by someone else without being a total dickhead about it, you're flirting with the possibility of getting hit for it.

-If you make false equivalencies to the loving Holocaust, I will absolutely push all of the buttons in front of me. Don't fuckling do it.

I'm this close to to reenacting this gif, don't give me a reason.

We have no metrics on the amount of deaths and abuse both physical and sexual taking place, but we know its happening and that it has been happening for decades. We also know there have been non-consensual sterilizations performed. How much human misery needs to normalized before the dam breaks and we call this what it is? So far in this thread I see a bunch of leftists being probated for calling out liberal justification of objectively bad things that they were absolutely howling about under Republican stewardship.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1371840899110559746

Yes, just imagine what it would be like if the Senate was gridlocked and unable to get anything done.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1371842155363307526

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

VH4Ever posted:

One of the ugly parts of the current crisis is that there's an incredible, rapid influx of refugees (including child refugees) into the united states, happening in a timeframe where the new administration simply has not had any time to substantially change the structure of the immigrant detention system that became very concentration-camp-y, under trump especially but not exclusively. It's the perfect definition of an inherited crisis. The infrastructure isn't even really there for humane detention even for processing, AND biden's administration isn't alleviating the issue by processing them as automatic deportations.

ICE is, of course, assisting the misery portion of this by being brazenly insubordinate on several levels, because it is a white ethnonationalist org that self-selected leadership and departmental culture for white ethnonationalists who salivate at the chance to do a white ethnonationalism.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

He's responsible right now. Cleaning up things is part of his responsibility.

Obama inherited the worst economic disaster since the great depression and got hammered for it as if he caused it. Whether it is fair or not.

Trump inherited an economy that had grown uninterrupted in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 and he got credit for it.

It can be both their responsibility to clean something up and also not their fault that is happening.

I completely agree with this, but I guess I'd like to see an answer from people for whom "he needs time" is a compelling response to things like the conditions at the border.

How much time is enough?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

90% of Manchin's public statements are performative and I'm glad he is using his weird performance to make sure two of the best left-wing nominees get confirmed to important jobs.

But, I have to wonder if, at some point, your "I want to listen to everybody and make up my mind" schtick for every single issue comes across as your being dumb or if people stop caring when you do it for every nominee and every issue.

Well, whatever gets the moderate senator from West Virginia to vote to confirm the Indian civil rights activist who wants legal weed and to dramatically scale down policing in the country is fine.

:shrug:

quote:

Manchin Will Likely Support Gupta’s Nomination After Garland Vouched For Her

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said Monday that he is “leaning towards” supporting Vanita Gupta’s nomination for associate attorney general after Attorney General Merrick Garland vouched for her.

“I have spoken to Merrick Garland — and he is very high on her,” he said, according to the Hill pool. “And I have all the respect in the world on his decision making. I will be leaning towards because of his support.”

Locking in Manchin is crucial to Gupta’s confirmation, as Republicans have coalesced against her.

Her hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee last week was contentious, as Republicans brought up her old tweets criticizing members of their party and tried to paint her as a radical ideologue who supports “defunding the police.”

“The positions you have advocated for are on the extreme left and you have demonstrated an intolerance for and hostility to anyone that disagrees with the extreme left political positions,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said at the hearing.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/manchin-gupta-garland-doj

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

From a personal point of view its because of seeing things like lawyers not being allowed to go and see kids and so on.

But I am probably being unfair. Sorry.

Sure that's a legitimate gripe! See how easily it can be buried in bullshit if we let it, though? All I'm saying. Thanks for seeing that.

Kavros posted:

One of the ugly parts of the current crisis is that there's an incredible, rapid influx of refugees (including child refugees) into the united states, happening in a timeframe where the new administration simply has not had any time to substantially change the structure of the immigrant detention system that became very concentration-camp-y, under trump especially but not exclusively. It's the perfect definition of an inherited crisis. The infrastructure isn't even really there for humane detention even for processing, AND biden's administration isn't alleviating the issue by processing them as automatic deportations.

ICE is, of course, assisting the misery portion of this by being brazenly insubordinate on several levels, because it is a white ethnonationalist org that self-selected leadership and departmental culture for white ethnonationalists who salivate at the chance to do a white ethnonationalism.

That's correct. And of course, there's COVID. We can't just pack places like sardines even if we wanted to without whacking THAT whole hornet's nest too, now can we? Then we have Too Many Kids who now might have COVID, etc. It's a real lovely situation. But going off on these hyperbolic tangents some have ITT distracts from these real, actual problems you describe. We need to keep leaning on Biden and make sure we're pushing in the right direction. Calling him no better than Trump and inferring that somehow he caused this isn't helping to do that though.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 16, 2021

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mcconnell sounds a bit desperate and terrified, honestly. There must be mounting traction for eliminating the filibuster. Besides, doing the things he's talking about would require another Republican trifecta and, frankly, if we get there again, the country is probably way more screwed anyway.

The entire Republican platform is obstruction. Their only legislation is destruction of systems already in place and tax cuts which are unpopular. So threatening to gum up the works is just status quo and not much of a threat, honestly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cspanjeremy/status/1371841685815234569?s=21

Tim Kaine must immediately be censured by the Senate

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Insanite posted:

I completely agree with this, but I guess I'd like to see an answer from people for whom "he needs time" is a compelling response to things like the conditions at the border.

How much time is enough?

We actually try to look at what is happening and the details rather than setting arbitrary timers before we get to start shitposting.

Saxophone posted:

Mcconnell sounds a bit desperate and terrified, honestly. There must be mounting traction for eliminating the filibuster. Besides, doing the things he's talking about would require another Republican trifecta and, frankly, if we get there again, the country is probably way more screwed anyway.

The entire Republican platform is obstruction. Their only legislation is destruction of systems already in place and tax cuts which are unpopular. So threatening to gum up the works is just status quo and not much of a threat, honestly.

A significant part of this is going to be an appeal to institutional donors.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Insanite posted:

How much time is enough?

I don't think anyone knows, and I don't think this has a good outcome because most of the issues that need to get resolved require congressional action, and the republicans would sooner die than let anyone pass immigration legislation that equips the border process for more humane outcomes.

The best guess I can go with is to assume that we need to be watching for immigration related funding and reorganization included in the upcoming Infrastructure Week, where the dems use a second reconciliation to attempt economic jumpstart projects as part of a tremendous infrastructure bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If GOP voters actually watched CSPAN they might wonder why Mitch was vehemently protecting the thing that is apparently the one obstacle to Republicans getting everything their hearts desired.