Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 6, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 13, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 31, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 23, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 23, 1935)

Dark Laughter (February 6, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (February 1, 1948)

Those Were the Days (February 28, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (June 14, 1965)

Wee Pals (June 14, 1965)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (February 28, 1952)

"And my grandpa lived to 90 and he smoked! What's the big deal with this 'smoking causes cancer' banana oil?"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jul 25, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 11-12, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Jul 26, 2019)

(Jul 29, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I usually love Crabgrass but this sock thing works as a one-off. Not a serial story.

And you know, I remember being a babysitter and never ever having anything close to the issues in Calvin and Hobbes. Which makes me realize Calvin really, really needed some drat counselling.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 11-12, 1989)

Even as a kid I remember thinking this was pretty uncalled for

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Maybe you should tell the writers of the strip.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

And you know, I remember being a babysitter and never ever having anything close to the issues in Calvin and Hobbes. Which makes me realize Calvin really, really needed some drat counselling.
I think it was only explicitly stated once or twice, but Rosalynn is the only person willing to babysit him. And she gets paid considerably more than normal for it.

It works in a cartoony 'kid vs babysitter' sense, but irl that would definitely be a 'this kid needs to see a therapist/doctor' wakeup call even before this arc.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
calvin and hobbes was my life when i was a kid, but these days i can’t do more than glance at the pretty art. it’s weird

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

I think it was only explicitly stated once or twice, but Rosalynn is the only person willing to babysit him. And she gets paid considerably more than normal for it.

It works in a cartoony 'kid vs babysitter' sense, but irl that would definitely be a 'this kid needs to see a therapist/doctor' wakeup call even before this arc.

I mean, the worst babysitting job I ever had was 4 kids, and the oldest was like 12, the younger ones between 5 and 8. And the 12 year old was on the spectrum and hated his younger stepsiblings. I mostly remember us playing Hide and Seek with the twist that if you were found, you got to help find the others. And whoever lasted the longest got to choose who was the Seeker next time. Was dumb, but the kids at least were entertained.

Now for Calvin? Best thing Rosalynn could have done maybe early on was actually play with the drat kid instead of working on her homework/calling her boyfriend, etc. I don't ever remember strips of her interacting with him in anything fun?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

VC refers to the Victorian Cross, with the bar indicating it's the second time he's earned it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

What a fart of a dramatic arc.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Now for Calvin? Best thing Rosalynn could have done maybe early on was actually play with the drat kid instead of working on her homework/calling her boyfriend, etc. I don't ever remember strips of her interacting with him in anything fun?

She plays Calvinball once and is extremely good at it iirc.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In her last appearance in Calvin & Hobbes, Rosalyn makes a deal with Calvin that if he behaves she'll let him stay up half an hour past his bedtime. They end up playing a game of Calvinball.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

Tomorrow: Tara dies of internal bleeding

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is what my Passover seder's gonna look like in two weeks.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Dodos are more evolved dinosaurs you haaaaack

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The strip where Calvin locks his sitter out of house feels true to life because I did the same thing to my sitter when I was 10.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Gatto Grigio posted:

The strip where Calvin locks his sitter out of house feels true to life because I did the same thing to my sitter when I was 10.

Are you still grounded?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Every time Mars appears is a reminder that DNA Wizard is the most loathsome character in the comic. She's the one who brewed the potion that turned Mars into a hellscape filled with carnivorous plants that eat each other, and it was her crew that brought the dodos to the planet. The dodos are an invasive species and are wreaking havoc on Mars, and DNA Wizard is listening to this with the same lack of concern she had when her mermaid friend was distraught over her body being permanently altered against her will.

And she's supposed to be Mars's mother.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/16/01

Brenda Starr 1/31-2/2/46

Smokey Stover 12/24/39

Fnord

Bonus Ad! Be a god in twenty easy lessons!

If you want to cultivate your own Invisible God-Force, check out the teachings of Dr. Robinson's, umm, alternative religious organization, Psychiana.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At one time, folks used to read the comics page for fun and enjoyed the silly antics with a light heart.

BUT NOW - WOW!

The comics are full of mental illness, child abuse and racism - and folks are still expected to laugh about it!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Haifisch posted:

"And my grandpa lived to 90 and he smoked! What's the big deal with this 'smoking causes cancer' banana oil?"

Stupid science and government enriching our bread and fluoridating the water. :argh:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

So far Ester was presented quite young, she often felt like a pre-teen, but early in the book it actually said that she appeared to be 14-15 years old (still even in the text she seemed childish), so I guess we can presume that she's about sixteen now. Karl Bertelsköld is about eighteen, I think. An old book and a historical setting, so better not think about the ages too hard.

The book makes it clear that at this point Karl has become fascinated by Ester (despite seeing her just a few times, even the narrator makes a bit fun of it) and his efforts to find her take much longer than in the comic, as she is kept hidden and madam Sager is very secretive about her until Karl wins her trust.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 16, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (March 6-10, 2000)

It's been a while since Fiona's parents were properly featured in a strip, but as a reminder: they are both from old, noble lineages, and their marriage was arranged to "preserve the bloodline." Which goes a long way to explaining why they're both such stuck-up, insufferable jerks.

Also! Mirrors reflecting sunlight onto dark places can and does work (though in real life the strategy is only used for towns that would otherwise not see sunlight for several months a year).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

I'm getting mine today! :)

Tina's Groove Classic (July 8, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 8, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 8, 1989)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Gatto Grigio posted:

I remember this one getting Calvin a pretty stern (for the strip) talking-to from his mother about how dangerous it was to do.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Green Intern posted:

She plays Calvinball once and is extremely good at it iirc.

...Are that and I guess Uncle Max are the only times anyone in the strip interacts with Calvin on his terms?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

While kids occasionally do things Calvin would do and more frequently what they dream they could do if he was a real child his parents would have been divorced or drinking heavily.

He’s a special needs child and would have to have a large support network to allow his family to stay mentally healthy and help him thrive.

However medication is pretty cheap so this would be more likely.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Calvin and Hobbes was not supposed to be any more realistic than Peanuts, guys.

Haifisch posted:

To be fair, "scientific eating" in the early to mid 20th century was a horror of processed foods because those were "scientifically created" rather than that nasty unpredictable fresh stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

nishi koichi posted:

calvin and hobbes was my life when i was a kid, but these days i can’t do more than glance at the pretty art. it’s weird

Same, but I think it's less a quality thing or how I relate to the material, and more that I just read it a hundred-hundred times because that's what you do when you're a kid with a handful of comics compilations. So I'll read half of the first panel and realize I already know every word of dialogue and just move on.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I'm being attacked

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Mercury Hat posted:

I remember this one getting Calvin a pretty stern (for the strip) talking-to from his mother about how dangerous it was to do.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Calvin and Hobbes was not supposed to be any more realistic than Peanuts, guys.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I re-read my complete Calvin and Hobbes collection every few years. It's still funny, but the least plausible thing is that Calvin is only 6.

And screw the depressing ending.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mercury Hat posted:

his parents suck at discipline

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I still quite enjoy C&H but yeah, it was never meant to be taken that seriously. That said I always felt kind of bad that Calvin has no real friends. He really needs a Miles in his life to keep him grounded and channel all that destructive energy. Seeing his relationship with Suzie improve to the point where they're no longer antagonistic would have also been nice.

What I'm saying is that Wallace the Brave is Calvin and Hobbes in it's ideal form.

Cobalt-60 posted:

And screw the depressing ending.

lmao

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (July 14, 1990)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol @ the Calvin & Hobbes edit.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also, seriously, childhood ADHD is a serious thing and medicating a kid for it is not sucking all the joy out of their life. I've got ADHD and my medicine just allowed me to focus on things more easily so I wasn't getting frustrated at mental blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics