Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos
I want to see Antlers but it keeps getting delayed. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5eyOfL8qM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WHY BONER NOW posted:

New Aliens Fireteam video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5GfdRz098s

Ten minute look at the Gunner and Technician classes.

Gunner is the classic Colonial Marine we all know and love
Lots of firepower
Specials include grenades and overclock (buffs your team)
Perks include upgrading overclock or grenades, you can do incendiary grenades or remote detonators

Technician can deploy a turret, or throw out charge coils which create an electric field that will slow down enemies
Turrets can be a heavy turret or incinerator turret. Might be more to unlock?

General:
You select your perks on a loadout screen. Some perks are universal, so when you unlock it using a gunner, you can equip it as a technician, etc
You pick what perks you are gonna go with and have to fit them into a grid, tetris-y, some perks are 1x4, some are 1x2, some are 2x2. They are categorized as either blue or green, not sure what the distinction is. Eventually you rank up the grid space
Kits determine what kind of weapon you can bring
Looks like you can mod your weapons too? Or level them up?

4 weapon types:
Rifles
CQCs
Handguns
Heavy weapons

You can select whatever class you want, ie you can have a team of 3 technicians if you want. But the developers don't want you to want 3 technicians

Overall it sounds fricken rad. It seems like you have a lot of potential to plan out your team and give everyone a special role. Probably from replaying the same maps repeatedly and learning how they work. I'm not super stoked about 3rd person but that's a minor complaint :getin:

I want my drat M-56 Smart Gun.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Got trashed and watched alien resurrection tonight. This movie is excellent. Starts out space thriller, then action, then just gets gross as gently caress. It's not alien or aliens, bit it's good schlock

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
City of Lost Children and Delicatessen were better though. Also, on the trainspotting commentary track Danny Boyle says they asked him to do Alien 4, but he realized he had no idea what to do so he turned it down. I suspect some of his ideas turned into Sunshine, but idk

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Vim Fuego posted:

Got trashed and watched alien resurrection tonight. This movie is excellent. Starts out space thriller, then action, then just gets gross as gently caress. It's not alien or aliens, bit it's good schlock

It's a 90s Dark Horse comic book come to life. Just look at the camera angles used, you could literally just print the still frames onto pages.

The score is also great in this context.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You pick what perks you are gonna go with and have to fit them into a grid, tetris-y, some perks are 1x4, some are 1x2, some are 2x2.
Been playing a lot of dicey dungeons and I am 100% behind this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

evobatman posted:

It's a 90s Dark Horse comic book come to life. Just look at the camera angles used, you could literally just print the still frames onto pages.

The irony here is that there is a Dark Horse comic adaptation of ‘Alien Resurrection’ and, uh, it’s not very good.

Edit— in the comic book’s “defense”, it’s based on the script, not the movie itself.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 15, 2021

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Yaphet Kotto has passed away :(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

As Nero Danced posted:

Doing my quarterly re-watching of the series, I just realized they never saved the hamster in Hadley's Hope. It was still in its cage when the colony went kablooey :(.

Oh my God, THIS is the story of Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooey!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

The basketball story from alien resurrection still owns how Sigourney Weaver did the the behind the back trick shot in a single take.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

etalian posted:

The basketball story from alien resurrection still owns how Sigourney Weaver did the the behind the back trick shot in a single take.

So Ripley did it in one shot? Believe it or not!

Greggster fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 16, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

etalian posted:

She didn’t do it in a single take, but she did do it for real. They had to creatively edit around Ron Perlman’s reaction because he cracked up when she did it.

https://youtu.be/FF44YvDVP8Y

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://youtu.be/2nHE-EErdWs

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

evobatman posted:

Bummer, but 81 is pretty good going. Only 3 left though, which is another bummer :smith:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

evobatman posted:

Bummed to hear it but he lived a long life and left quite the history.

He will not be forgotten.

May he gets his shares in Heaven.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/CineLore/status/1371783954005700612

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
ahahaha that’s amazing. (Unless it’s racist because they couldn’t tell the difference between the two black people on set even though one of them was seven feet tall and dressed as a loving space monster.)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
poo poo man, there's only 3 of them left now. Yaphet was great in just about everything I saw him in, loved him in Midnight Run especially.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
gently caress me...I totally forgot (actually never noticed) he was in Midnight Run and I've seen that movie 20 loving times. How did I never recognize Parker? I suck.

Mister Speaker posted:

I was never unable to finish Alien: Isolation, the incredibly immersive story and environment always outweighed the stress and anxiety some parts of the game caused

I want a sequel.

Wait...you were never able to finish it but want a sequel?

But god dammit, I hear you. I don't think it sold enough to ever even warrant consideration for one. If I remember right, it was kind of a sales let down since I guess the kids these days want action and online play...or something. Hell, Isolation just as an engine and a play mechanic alone could launch a franchise/template for scary games if you ask me (Terminator, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween) but what do I know?

Speaking of kick rear end games that demand a sequel: 16 years later and we still don't have a follow up to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction either, which I think also sold poorly for some reason so there goes my "not enough action" theory.

Both these games are on my all time favorite list and are just going to die on the vine, aren't they?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BiggerBoat posted:

Go back and read that quoted part again.

RIP Yaphet Kotto

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

She didn’t do it in a single take, but she did do it for real. They had to creatively edit around Ron Perlman’s reaction because he cracked up when she did it.

https://youtu.be/FF44YvDVP8Y

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but doesn’t Perlman’s doofus grin, like he just saw a particularly appetising donut, still make the final cut?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You can catch a glimpse as he starts to laugh but they cut away pretty quickly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress me...I totally forgot (actually never noticed) he was in Midnight Run and I've seen that movie 20 loving times. How did I never recognize Parker? I suck.

But god dammit, I hear you. I don't think it sold enough to ever even warrant consideration for one. If I remember right, it was kind of a sales let down since I guess the kids these days want action and online play...or something.
Fear not, we got a sequel in the form of a mobile game Five Nights at Freddy’s clone and some mediocre comics by noted sex pest Brian Wood. :waycool:

Edit—
If you liked Alien Isolation, definitely check out The Art of Alien: Isolation https://www.amazon.com/dp/1781169314/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TA97BFDPA8KWYWS4Y2W5

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This game is looking like it'll be really fun.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I'm sad about Parker. :(

Edit wait there are just 3 left now?! Jesus.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This game is looking like it'll be really fun.

:emptyquote:

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Floodixor posted:

I'm sad about Parker. :(

Edit wait there are just 3 left now?! Jesus.

It's like the movie all over again....

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of kick rear end games that demand a sequel: 16 years later and we still don't have a follow up to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction either, which I think also sold poorly for some reason so there goes my "not enough action" theory.

Both these games are on my all time favorite list and are just going to die on the vine, aren't they?

The devs of TH:UD went on to make the 2 Prototype games, which are basically the same thing. You can even run up the empire state building and elbow drop off it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fatty posted:

You can even run up the empire state building and elbow drop off it.

Ok, I'm sold.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

evobatman posted:

Wasn't the entire script written in comic book style sketches? I remember seeing a "making of" video that showed that.

God resurrection was such a loving waste. A great IP, an amazing ensemble cast (Perlman! Winona Ryder! Michael Wincott!) and it pissed it all right down the front of it's pants.

Is there like a smart retrospective that goes into what went wrong?

Also, amusing to me at least, I picked up the rather terrible Aliens: Colonial Marines (for $3) and it has DLC based on Alien, Aliens, and Alien³, but even that awful game didn't give any effort to Resurrection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What was the Alien3 DLC?

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Android Apocalypse posted:

You can catch a glimpse as he starts to laugh but they cut away pretty quickly.

No u cant lol

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

What was the Alien3 DLC?

I think it's the one that explains the "Hicks" that died in Alien 3 was not the real one.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

BiggerBoat posted:

But god dammit, I hear you. I don't think it sold enough to ever even warrant consideration for one. If I remember right, it was kind of a sales let down since I guess the kids these days want action and online play...or something. Hell, Isolation just as an engine and a play mechanic alone could launch a franchise/template for scary games if you ask me (Terminator, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween) but what do I know?

Alien Isolation sold like 2 million copies, it's just that making videogames with that level of graphics costs a gagillion dollars.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think it's the one that explains the "Hicks" that died in Alien 3 was not the real one.

I never even bothered with the DLC, so I'm curious what the Alien and Aliens DLC was

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Ohhhh right. I never thought of that as Alien3 DLC to be honest.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
My favorite Yaphet Kotto anecdote was that he would psyche himself up to play Parker so much that Ridley Scott had to have someone inform him via walkie talkie what entrance he was at so he could avoid having Kotto come up and tell him how Parker wasn't going to die and he was going to kick the alien's rear end for the upteenth time.

He was also in the running to play Captain Picard, which would've been interesting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Passed on both Lando Calrissian and Captain Picard iirc

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like Patrick Stewart & all but Yaphet Kotto would've been on a whole different level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skasion posted:

Passed on both Lando Calrissian and Captain Picard iirc

Hard to picture Kotto's Calrissian backing down from Darth Vader.