Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Pinworms man. Eosinophils try really hard but they just aren't that good at their job. However, they are much worse when they have nothing at all to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
A miniscule amount of people have lied about this, so we must force every person who dares ask for 1-2 days off work to grieve to prove they are grieving. No one has ever used this excuse for a similarly tragic event that wouldn't be allowed time off to deal with. It's definitely not the business' duty to confirm if they are suspicious. It's actually a natural thing to require someone, in the process of grieving a loved one or close friend, to get a copy of the death certificate so you can confirm you didn't lie to your boss.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/Caulimovirus/status/1371102713505796096

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I wonder if people make up family deaths because that's basically the only way to get a day off work without being sick yourself. Getting a day off work, especially lovely hourly work, should be much easier than it is.

Most hourly workers (at least in the US) need to plans weeks or months in advance. And for something like retail having even one person out in a day can cripple the department they work in. They fake it because there’s no way to just have a day off so soon into the future. And I can’t imagine there’s too many managers that give a person something like a mental health day out of the goodness of their heart.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

This person could fill the whole thread by themselves. Honestly something may be really wrong with them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news-generation-x-cancel-culture_n_60500a21c5b6f2f91a2bd13a

https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/1371550362860068864

blow on the cartridge boomer i swear is the best thing i have heard in a while

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally textbook pareidolia, it's just a loving cloud.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

cage-free egghead posted:

And I can’t imagine there’s too many managers that give a person something like a mental health day out of the goodness of their heart.

Unless you're pretty fortunate, mental health days literally do not exist in the American workforce.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Grimdude posted:

Unless you're pretty fortunate, mental health days literally do not exist in the American workforce.

In America mental health days are called "going postal"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Most hourly workers (at least in the US) need to plans weeks or months in advance. And for something like retail having even one person out in a day can cripple the department they work in. They fake it because there’s no way to just have a day off so soon into the future. And I can’t imagine there’s too many managers that give a person something like a mental health day out of the goodness of their heart.

Oh yeah, every department is run very purposefully on the razor's edge of productivity, so losing even one person for even an hour causes things to go very badly for the rest of the shift. Like, I get people being disappointed that somebody lied to get a day off, but maybe they should direct their anger at the people that make it so hard to get a day off without an emergency.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Grimdude posted:

Yeah, having worked the gamut from menial labor jobs to lovely office jobs to 'good' office jobs, the contrast is incredibly stark and people can miss out entirely on working the first two (or have their experience with retail/food service be 'was a teenager who worked 10 hours a week') and just completely not understand the way over half the working population lives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mental health days are a thing?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

xtal posted:

In America mental health days are called "going postal"

Which itself is darkly hilarious, that people in what is widely regarded as the cushiest of all jobs in America — federal government service — are synonymous with outbreaks of stochastic workplace violence.

Thirty years after it was bizarrely a thing, "going postal" is still a term we use, and the word "disgruntled" is invariably paired with "postal worker" in our heads

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Mental health days are a thing?

My office combined our sick (10 days) and personal days (5) into 15 wellness days a few years ago that you can take for any reason. 3+ in a row needs a doctor's note though. They're paid days, can be carried over at half value to extra vacation at year end or cashed out.

Edit: Canada, though this is beyond the legal requirements which is 2 paid sick days per year.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Mar 16, 2021

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

I'm really lucky that my boss is super chill, and I can send him a morning text message like, "hey I need a mental health day, see you tomorrow" and he'll just give me a thumbs up. And yet we STILL had a guy who called out for emergencies so frequently it was almost predictable. Everyone knew he was lying, but my boss didn't want to be a dick and ask for proof, so we all just sort of rolled our eyes and stopped trusting him.

Then he faked having covid before lockdown started, which affected not only us but multiple other companies in the building we worked in. There were less than 100 cases in the entire state at the time so we figured out he was faking pretty quickly and he confessed. He doesn't work with us anymore, unsurprisingly.

It just baffled me. Our boss is so cool about giving us reasonable time off and being really understanding about illness and mental health, and he still felt a need to lie to get a day off. Thankfully since none of the rest of us abuse the system he didn't ruin it for the rest of us.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The first week of January I scheduled a visit with a mental health doctor. The only day they do that testing is a Friday so I scheduled it for the 29th. I figured it was three weeks they can figure out who can cover my desk for the day, DENIED. So this testing I wanted to do early in the year so that I could maybe not be so miserable every day of my life ended up pushed back to March 26th.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So do scientists. The rise in food allergies is absolutely real, and is not something like autism or ADHD where the answer is "Nobody was paying attention." There's a lot of research going on, and so far not a single definitive cause; it looks like it may be multifactorial.
Some of the major theories are (from above article)

* the "hygiene hypothesis." This theory suggests that living conditions in much of the world might be too clean and that kids aren't being exposed to germs that train their immune systems to tell the difference between harmless and harmful irritants.

* antibiotics and acetaminophen use in early childhood

* increased obesity (House: It's never obesity)

* vitamin D deficiency

I want to add to this one since they seem to have big correlations:

Breast feeding
C-section births.

Lots of kids in the 80s and 90s were formula fed and c-section babies.

Again: correlation, not cause.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Otana posted:

Then he faked having covid before lockdown started, which affected not only us but multiple other companies in the building we worked in. There were less than 100 cases in the entire state at the time so we figured out he was faking pretty quickly and he confessed. He doesn't work with us anymore, unsurprisingly.

If you're getting away with lying about things your boss won't check up on, why would you even think to use a lie that they would be forced to check up on by law? Holy poo poo. Maybe some people just can't help it.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

Breast feeding
C-section births.

Lots of kids in the 80s and 90s were formula fed and c-section babies.

Again: correlation, not cause.

If this is why I can't eat red berries I'm gonna lose my fuckin' mind.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

IIRC there's a guess that breastfeeding might influence the immune system of baby, but I don't think anything is past theories.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

dialhforhero posted:

Breast feeding
Bottle feeding was close to being mandatory in the early-to-mid 20th century US for middle-class women. Bottle feeding was "scientific". You got given formula at the hospital. The nursing staff, even if not hostile to breastfeeding, often knew little about it. La Leche League was founded in 1956 as a support group for women who wanted to breast feed, and worked hard to raise the number of breastfeeding American women over the 20% when it was founded. The 1970s-1980s saw a major revival in "natural childbirth" and breastfeeding,

Boomers are very, very likely to have been bottle babies, more so than '80s kids.

(My point being that if bottle feeding was a significant contributor to food allergies, they should have been decreasing over time, not increasing.)

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I didn't have any food allergies until age 23, and it stayed at two until perimenopause. Yes, menopause can 'cause' food allergies. (No environmental allergies til. . . about age 21, I guess? It was roses.)

For the record, I was breast-fed, had plenty of germs/animals/mud, not a c-section baby, no antibiotics til I was 9 (I think), no acetaminophen til . . . maybe high school, no weight problems til after puberty, no vit. D deficiency ever.

Yay, I suck at life?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

They're gonna figure it out in 200 years and it's going to be something completely loving trivial-seeming, imo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PetraCore posted:

They're gonna figure it out in 200 years and it's going to be something completely loving trivial-seeming, imo.

It's going to be something stupid like dogs are televisions.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Josef bugman posted:

I don't think you'll get very far with this thesis, but I can't say I'm not interested.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Josef bugman posted:

It's gonna be even stupider imo.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! › Idiots on Social Media: dogs are televisions

I always look at the dog's face, there's never anything good on the other side.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SpacePig posted:

I don't think you'll get very far with this thesis, but I can't say I'm not interested.

I hate this phone and all phone posting. Dogs Or televisions.

I think a combo dog/TV was part of cowboy bebop.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In Soviet Russia, televisions are dogs.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

PetraCore posted:

It's gonna be even stupider imo.

Latte drinking.

Secondary latte drinking.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Nah, something like holding your farts and not pooping immediately when you needed to because something like gut bacteria.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

It's gonna turn out to be a side effect of the harmless literal brain worms we get from cats. :v:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Space bacteria.

Fake edit: SPACE CAT BACTERIA

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

If the Naomi’s Klein, you’re fine.
If the Naomi’s Wolf, oof.

Seriously, though, if I were her friend or family member, I would be worried about her. She doesn’t seem to be firing on all cylinders.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AlbieQuirky posted:

If the Naomi’s Klein, you’re fine.
If the Naomi’s Wolf, oof.

Seriously, though, if I were her friend or family member, I would be worried about her. She doesn’t seem to be firing on all cylinders.

I think, sadly, she's a lone Wolf.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Gats Akimbo posted:

Latte drinking.

Secondary latte drinking.

Second hand lattes are killing us all!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Detheros posted:

It's gonna turn out to be a side effect of the harmless literal brain worms we get from cats. :v:

So totally worth it.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

I don't think this passes the Ken M smell test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Sunswipe posted:

So totally worth it.

100%