Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Eggplant Squire posted:

Maybe call them Content Generation Camps that might be ok.

Clout Camps. Hey guys we need to get 100k likes on this video or the doctor obama appointed is going to remove my uterus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Excelzior posted:

I have trouble taking things at face value due to my crippling liberalism, can you perhaps make some kind of harry potter analogy

Trump's camps are run by dementors. Biden's camps are run by elves under the oversight of the dementors.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

loquacius posted:

I'm not in the "anyone who won't get therapy is a clear abuser" camp but at least trying it for a little while is probably a good idea if you have the means (under single-payer everyone would have the means)

My therapist is the doom guy and rips and tears at my brain worms and keeps my mind from eating itself

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

ironically, i feel like if we lived in a country that cared enough about the people in it to have single payer, therapy might not be necessary for so many people to cope with life on a basic level

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

lol @ the idea that living with adhd makes you unaware of your own behavior compared to others instead of painfully hyper-aware to the point of near-debilitating social anxiety. maybe ive just been doing it wrong idk

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Biden is so generous that those mean ol immigants have been taking advantage of him
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1371798489676517379

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raiad posted:

ironically, i feel like if we lived in a country that cared enough about the people in it to have single payer, therapy might not be necessary for so many people to cope with life on a basic level

We would need a livable minimum wage, UHC, guaranteed access to housing, food, and water, and to raise Social Security payments to a guaranteed comfortable income tied to the actual rate of inflation (a CPI that accounts for food, gas, utilities, and housing.) Also, a fix for out-of-control housing price increases.

While I'm at it, every citizen should get a monthly check from Big Therapy and a unicorn that lays golden eggs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

misadventurous posted:

lol @ the idea that living with adhd makes you unaware of your own behavior compared to others instead of painfully hyper-aware to the point of near-debilitating social anxiety. maybe ive just been doing it wrong idk

In my experience, this is correct.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

misadventurous posted:

I always had a pet theory that an inability to focus was the result of being emotionally overwhelmed by anxiety because everyone I know with attention problems also suffers from anxiety, myself included.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

MorrisBae posted:

https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-adhd/adhd-symptoms

So therapy's going good?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

clean shot and :discourse: probe reason

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

im sure there are plenty of rear end in a top hat libs who can afford to medicate that away but the fact they can afford it has more to do with why they’re rear end in a top hat libs

if anything being diagnosed with adhd helped partly explain why every part of capitalism has been such a punch in the loving taint for me my whole life

edit: i worry, probably more than i need to, that this post comes off anti-medication. you’re not an rear end in a top hat if you take medication for adhd (at least no more of an rear end in a top hat than i am), you’re an rear end in a top hat if you’re a filthy rich person, was what i was clumsily trying to say

misadventurous has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Mar 16, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
You're worried about ADHD, I am worried about A D&D.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

when they tell you to learn math

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Lib and let die posted:

sorry, the only valid math is 1400 + 600 = 2000

no other math exists

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Lib and let die posted:

that's a lotta numbers when you could just say "thank you"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I always had a pet theory that an inability to focus was the result of being emotionally overwhelmed by anxiety because everyone I know with attention problems also suffers from anxiety, myself included.

ADHD and anxiety absolutely piggyback off each other, particularly inattentive (which is what I have)

you gently caress things up because you're zoning out all the time, which makes you anxious, which gives you something else to distract you, and so on and so forth

Anxiety is a snake eating its own tail too, in that never really being "present" because you're worrying about how you're not really "present" keeps you from being really "present"

ask me about never really being able to enjoy when something good happens because I'm worried I'm not enjoying it enough

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Judakel posted:

You're worried about ADHD, I am worried about A D&D.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I mean if I'm going to trust someone to give their opinion on having good brains it's definitely going to be a goon.

lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Biden is so generous that those mean ol immigants have been taking advantage of him

Keep coming back to the Christman point about how the only difference in who you vote for is whether you want the ruling party to be an rear end in a top hat or a pussy about the horrible terrible thing that absolutely must be done because what else could we possibly do?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Goons are all obsessed with pedophilia and psychotherapy yet still hate Woody Allen.

Makes no sense.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Weembles posted:

Goons are all obsessed with pedophilia and psychotherapy yet still hate Woody Allen.

Makes no sense.

That's only the mods

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

Stop Telling Stephen Breyer to Retire
The Supreme Court justice doesn’t need liberals to tell him he’s 81.

quote:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, law professors: Please stop telling Justice Stephen Breyer to retire. Yes, Breyer is a (healthy) 81. Yes, the Democratic Senate majority is wafer-thin, and it would likely be impossible for President Joe Biden to replace Breyer with another liberal if the Democrats lose even one of their 50 votes in the Senate.

But here’s the thing: Breyer knows these facts already. He is the one of the great pragmatist justices ever to have sat on the Supreme Court, following in the footsteps of Justice Louis Brandeis. Breyer also knows Capitol Hill, having worked there three separate times: once on the Watergate investigation and twice for the Senate Judiciary Committee. He can be trusted to do the right thing – provided liberal law professors don’t box him in by declaring that he “must” resign.

To understand Breyer’s thinking about retirement, we can begin by considering his worldview and jurisprudence — as well as his writing about the court, its function, and how it is viewed.

Breyer’s career stands as a monument to the idea of a Supreme Court justice as a wise, practical actor who strives to make the system of government work effectively and efficiently. He attended Stanford, Oxford (where he studied as a Marshall Scholar), and Harvard Law School, before clerking for Justice Arthur Goldberg, who had previously been John F. Kennedy’s secretary of labor and later became Lyndon Johnson’s ambassador to the United Nations.

After spending a couple of formative years as an antitrust lawyer at the Department of Justice, Breyer quickly returned to Harvard as a law professor. His central intellectual contribution was (with his colleague Richard Stewart) to redefine the field of administrative law as an exercise in rational regulation. To simplify, before Breyer, lawyers mostly thought that administrative law was about letting experts in agencies do their jobs. After Breyer — and following his example — administrative lawyers began to become experts in costs and benefits, supply and demand, and other core principles of rational regulation.

Throughout his career, Breyer has believed that ideology and party are far less important than clear thinking and smart regulatory policy that makes people better off without costing more than it is worth. This perspective has come through in his extensive writing and lecturing, where he has emphasized that judges are not and must not be considered partisan political actors. If Breyer has an ideology, it is the rejection of ideology in favor of pragmatism.

This matters crucially for the question of his stepping down. The more the timing of his retirement is depicted as a partisan objective, the less he will want to do it. To be seen to retire “in order” to let Biden pick his successor would betray Breyer’s own career-long objective of making decisions based on what is right for the country, not for one party. That said, Breyer’s pragmatism means he knows he must weigh the costs and benefits of retiring at any given moment.

So it is absolutely essential for liberals to stop lecturing the man about it being his time to go. Every column or television comment — the more prominent, the worse — traps Breyer into having to stay out so as not to appear to be acting as a partisan.

What Breyer needs and deserves is room to maneuver, to find the best and most rational way to satisfy the complex competing interests around his retirement. The good news is, that’s his expertise. The liberal legal commentariat should stand back and let the master operate. He knows what he’s doing. Don’t make it harder for him.

this ancient girlboss pragmatic believer of a spherical, frictionless, non-partisan court doesn't need you to lecture her him :nyd:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Wow, what a misogynistic take, trying to stop the appointment of Justice Tanden

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

rough that the plan of doing absolutely nothing and getting praise for it is no longer working

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

alarumklok posted:

rough that the plan of doing absolutely nothing and getting praise for it is no longer working

running the obama playbook but without a charismatic leader at the center to hold it all together, let's see how it works out for them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

running the obama playbook but without a charismatic leader at the center to hold it all together, let's see how it works out for them

It's a bold strategy Cotton.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gandlethorpe posted:

If they are already leaning toward "gently caress Immigrants" for making them look bad then we are probably not too many years away from armed border turrets.

Republicans will want cheaper bullets to fire more. Democrats will want expensive environmentally friendly green bullets that are carbon neutral and plant a tree in each dead immigrants body. We will use the cheaper bullets.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Lansdowne posted:

this ancient girlboss pragmatic believer of a spherical, frictionless, non-partisan court doesn't need you to lecture her him :nyd:

I wonder who Trump will replace him with when he dies during Trump's second term.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lansdowne posted:

lmao

just incapable of learning

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

I wonder who Trump will replace him with when he dies during Trump's second term.

he will follow in the footsteps of our nation's first obese president and be placed on the Supreme Court by his successor, President Trump Jr

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Lansdowne posted:

mcconnell would offer manchin a barony to switch parties. constitutional amendment and everything probably already drafted

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
junior is the best choice. share enough coke with thomas and he might actually start using words, that'd be loving wild.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

there is a nonzero chance of Trump putting Ted Cruz on the bench when Trump gets back into office

Ted was floated as one of the possible replacements for RBG

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1371461185653116931

god I wish we lived in that world

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

how is babylon bee consistently this unfunny

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

alarumklok posted:

that really is the mystery in all of this. how did babylon bee construct an anti-comedy device?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

loquacius posted:

he will follow in the footsteps of our nation's first obese president and be placed on the Supreme Court by his successor, President Trump Jr

bedpan posted:

there is a nonzero chance of Trump putting Ted Cruz on the bench when Trump gets back into office

Ted was floated as one of the possible replacements for RBG

Justices Donald J Trump and Raphael "The Zodiac" Cruz was the chaos world reality I didn't realize I needed until now.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

alarumklok posted:

They try too hard to make their point as obvious as possible to their brain dead readers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rectal Death Adept posted:

If they are already leaning toward "gently caress Immigrants" for making them look bad then we are probably not too many years away from armed border turrets.

Republicans will want cheaper bullets to fire more. Democrats will want expensive environmentally friendly green bullets that are carbon neutral and plant a tree in each dead immigrants body. We will use the cheaper bullets.

apparently fox has been showing pics from the facilities that are the standard shithole conditions ones, but now everyone who was mad about it is mad that The Bad Network is saying it so those kids are gonna fuckin die