Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Strategic Tea posted:

It's scary, what if I want to live in a big city?

I grew up and used to live/work in the (UK) suburbs, and absolutely hated it. The cultural deadness, the total lack of diversity, the reliance on cars, the absence of any ambition or pride from anyone in anything beyond getting a new kitchen or going to Ibeefa.

Seconded. If I have any life goal right now, it's "live somewhere I can sell my car and never need to own one". Suburbia can't give me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Also, the dude who invented this truly, absolutely believes that paper is good for the environment because it acts as a carbon sink

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

poisonpill posted:

Also, the dude who invented this truly, absolutely believes that paper is good for the environment because it acts as a carbon sink

He's also never seen or heard of a paper mill, or think they are water powered and don't use heavy chemicals or something.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah I may have forgotten to mention but he’s a complete moron

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Reminds me of the forestry students in uni who would always revert to "well what's your house made of HUH?" if anyone questioned forestry practices

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

titty_baby_ posted:

Reminds me of the forestry students in uni who would always revert to "well what's your house made of HUH?" if anyone questioned forestry practices

I grew up in a house that was all cinder block, rebar, and concrete. I hate how houses are constructed in the US.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AHH F/UGH posted:

I mentioned this a while ago but I got an email from the guy who has the passive aggressive chud-ly "nuke the trees" thing in his email signature so I can share this

Fees this piece of poo poo into a woodchipper tia

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

You should email him back and let him know that conservation science and forestry industries combined provide 56,000 jobs for Americans which is only the same thing as "millions" if counted between the years 2016 and 2020

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

That doesn't take into account millworkers, loggers, truck drivers, etc

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Some people mentioned I should give less of a poo poo and you are absolutely right, it can just be kinda hard to not be at least a little invested. Also, while I am security, during the day when people are around my work is more reception and dealing with callers to the central line as well as delivery drivers so I am a bit more involved in the going-ons than just doing my rounds and heating a seat (tho tbh, that is my favorite part when it's just that).

Anyway, more dumb poo poo: Having the repair department for one of our products be over here, while the customer service people are in another facility with no direct way of forwarding a call over there. This means that any repair-jobs get sent over here, but if anyone has questions about their ongoing repairs or something, they have to call the service instead. Most people understand, but it is always fun having some boomer on the line who after explaining that they have to call somewhere else gets mad because they sent the thing over here, so obviously they have to talk with someone on this number and not another one.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

One thing I’ve noticed about WFH is how little so many people have done to make their life easier. I’ve been working freelance for the last 6 months for one of the UKs biggest media companies which, hilariously, still runs on creaking tech a decade out of date - Windows 7, Outlook 2010, no collaboration software whatsoever and tiny lovely wheezing HP company laptops. The company intranet is also total garbage but all the important functions can be accessed on any computer using 2FA. It amazes me the number of people who just accept that this is the limit of what they need to work and sit hunched squinting at a tiny screen all day in a business where you need to watch, analyse, transcribe and edit video.

I sent a photo of my PC with 2 large monitors and about six different applications open at once to one of my researchers and it blew her mind that working in such a way was possible and made WFH a much more pleasant and productive experience.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SkyeAuroline posted:

Seconded. If I have any life goal right now, it's "live somewhere I can sell my car and never need to own one". Suburbia can't give me that.

Strategic Tea posted:

It's scary, what if I want to live in a big city?

Who was talking about suburbs? I’m talking about cities that aren’t London benefitting from people not all being drawn to London. You can actually afford to live in the centre of our other cities (including big ones), so it’s a more “city” experience than living 40 minutes from central London in some ways.

That said, not having a car basically means the countryside doesn’t exist for you in the UK.

smellmycheese posted:

I sent a photo of my PC with 2 large monitors and about six different applications open at once to one of my researchers and it blew her mind that working in such a way was possible and made WFH a much more pleasant and productive experience.

Hope your company paid for that setup?
I’ve seen it before, people working for a cheap company can get institutionalised into thinking that’s the way has to be. Normally at places where there’s no link between productivity & pay.

I had to scream at a previous employer to get my department dual monitors, laptops (vs old desktops), to buy new keyboards & mice when requested.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

smellmycheese posted:

Did you have that pc and monitor setup before though? The company I work for offered something 30 pounds a month as wfh supplement. That doesn't even cover the extra heating in the winter. No office equipment offered.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Regarding companies cheaping out on general IT stuff, software etc: in my experience the bigger the company, the worse their software and equipment is. Without naming names, I worked for a place that supplied maybe 60% of a small nations supermarkets and their software was still green text on black screen operated by key commands. Later on I worked for a 'prestigious' well known brand who's stock software just didn't work for their purposes at all, like I was well aware that their stock levels were out by hundreds or thousands of units on most lines but couldn't do poo poo about it. Compare this to the place I am now which has around 50 employees - our PCs aren't perfect but they do the job and our software is still supported and recently got tweaked to merge with another system we started using.

I think at these bigger places they look at the costs of upgrading thousands of PCs and buying the same amount of licenses for whatever and just go.... nope, not doing that

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol that's pretty bad. We have shared printers and if I need to print out something like baseball tickets (before those were moved to an app) I'd be hovering over the printer to grab them. Contrast with coworkers leaving personal tax documents there all day. One guy had printed I think an immigration form packed with bank/address/other items and it was sitting in the print tray face up for hours before I mentioned to a manager that someone should tell the guy (I didn't know where he sat).

years ago a colleague once left his plane tickets and boarding passes to mexico face up and clearly visible on the office printer tray while he was performatively sniffling and coughing in front of the boss as a prelude to a week of sick leave. He even came back afterwards with a very obvious tan.

dumb poo poo gripe: my department have to carry radios and the management have decided to festoon everywhere with those Bluetooth proximity beacons to keep track of where we are and how long we've been there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Someone sent a scan of their passport to the wrong printer in our office once. It got printed by the printer made for spitting out big drawings, so a passport sized image bang in the middle of like a 2m wide sheet of paper

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

kecske posted:

years ago a colleague once left his plane tickets and boarding passes to mexico face up and clearly visible on the office printer tray while he was performatively sniffling and coughing in front of the boss as a prelude to a week of sick leave. He even came back afterwards with a very obvious tan.

dumb poo poo gripe: my department have to carry radios and the management have decided to festoon everywhere with those Bluetooth proximity beacons to keep track of where we are and how long we've been there.

Rookie mistake, he should have printed them in "confidential mode" so they only actually come out of the printer when you beep boop it in person.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ilmucche posted:

Someone sent a scan of their passport to the wrong printer in our office once. It got printed by the printer made for spitting out big drawings, so a passport sized image bang in the middle of like a 2m wide sheet of paper

I hope it got hung in their cube. Someone autoscale printed a document on our plotter and now it's their cube wallpaper.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On the other end of the scale, I once managed to start printing a PhD thesis to our label printer. Scaled down to 50x75mm labels, it was entirely recognizable, but not very readable.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I hope it got hung in their cube. Someone autoscale printed a document on our plotter and now it's their cube wallpaper.

Open plan hotdesking hell so no. I don't think they figured out where it went so it sat there for a week or so.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

My engineering director said we should use our "design champion", a principal engineer (very senior, non leadership track engineering people who float around different teams), to ensure that we're not missing stuff when building new systems. Upon expressing puzzlement that we had such a thing, I decided to investigate.

There is a principal engineer assigned to the 5 teams in our office. We are in one country, he is west coast US. None of the engineering or product leads on the 5 teams have ever even heard of this guy. When I sent him an email he said something like "I'd be very happy to get involved!". Upon further investigating, he is assigned to just our 5 teams, we are 100% of his responsibilities, and has no other duties. This has been the state of play for at least two years and more likely three.

Dude just straight up accepted a job offer, literally never contacted anyone he was supposed to in our country, turned up to some random meetings and sat there silently now and again so people knew he existed, and no-one ever followed up with him in the states.He has been collecting a principal engineers paycheque, bonus and RSUs ever since. He has netted probably half a million dollars for doing absolutely nothing for three years.

Just, mad respect.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"Guys I think I'm getting some kind of error in this system, why am I seeing all of these red smiley faces?"

"Oh, the red smiley face is good! It's just a heads up that the task ran correctly, so you notice it."

"Uhhh okay, that's fine, I guess. So I should just ignore the green smiley face, too?"

"Oh no, the green smiley face is VERY BAD."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ilmucche posted:

Someone did the same thing at my work with a boarding pass.
(I wish I had put something on the photo for scale. The chair-back kinda helps.)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Steakandchips posted:

Rookie mistake, he should have printed them in "confidential mode" so they only actually come out of the printer when you beep boop it in person.

My last job made it required to print out in secure mode, so you had to scan your badge to get whatever you sent to print. This didn't sit well with the "I'm too busy to wait for the Sports Illustrated article to print so I can take a 4 hour poo poo" crowd and someone figured out how to work around the badge requirement. Multiple department meetings were had about the inappropriate use of printers and the fact that we were a secure facility and some of the things being printed were actually classified and couldn't be left around. That, of course, did nothing to deter people from working around the secure print system.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

poisonpill posted:

Lazyfire posted:

He's also never seen or heard of a paper mill, or think they are water powered and don't use heavy chemicals or something.
Civic recycling of paper is held up as a great success but it's potentially hosed the economic ecology of paper products. High quality paper needs 0.1%-2% high quality recycle fiber for void filling fines. Before civic recycling you would run a recycle stream in plant until your paper comes out good and keep that stream on parallel to the finished product. Now civic recycling hands this to companies on a silver platter with tax payer subsidies deflating paper costs and increasing overall consumption. Paper ecology can be very complex.

The opposite of this is not "print more things >.<" And in fact is aggravated by such a practice. But I can at least recognize the twisted sort of logic that's given in the latitude of paper ecology to lead smart engineerly brains to say print baby print: every ton of paper now has a forestry requirement of replanting and growing saplings so net paper use does have carbon sinking associated to it and we can even balance it for water and electricity use by increasing the acreage requirements.

This isn't happening now obviously but I convince myself increasingly every day that our carbon problems are gonna be fixed by thinking about how we wipe our rear end and what happens to our junk mail.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

smellmycheese posted:

One thing I’ve noticed about WFH is how little so many people have done to make their life easier. I’ve been working freelance for the last 6 months for one of the UKs biggest media companies which, hilariously, still runs on creaking tech a decade out of date - Windows 7, Outlook 2010, no collaboration software whatsoever and tiny lovely wheezing HP company laptops. The company intranet is also total garbage but all the important functions can be accessed on any computer using 2FA. It amazes me the number of people who just accept that this is the limit of what they need to work and sit hunched squinting at a tiny screen all day in a business where you need to watch, analyse, transcribe and edit video.

It's odd how common that is. I'm no computer genius but was able to get my WFH set up on dual monitors with no trouble, and coworkers who didn't already have the equipment could get it ordered from the company without much hassle. Several months into WFH some not-great coworkers were complaining about tiny Chromebook screens being hard to navigate. As some of these coworkers are toxic I wasn't able to try to become their tech support, so good luck with that.

ilmucche posted:

Oh yeah I would walk past the marketing dept that had one of those giant printers and sometimes could see two inches of an email on a giant sheet. Would usually sit there for a few days.

A CRAB IRL posted:

My engineering director said we should use our "design champion", a principal engineer (very senior, non leadership track engineering people who float around different teams), to ensure that we're not missing stuff when building new systems. Upon expressing puzzlement that we had such a thing, I decided to investigate.

There is a principal engineer assigned to the 5 teams in our office. We are in one country, he is west coast US. None of the engineering or product leads on the 5 teams have ever even heard of this guy. When I sent him an email he said something like "I'd be very happy to get involved!". Upon further investigating, he is assigned to just our 5 teams, we are 100% of his responsibilities, and has no other duties. This has been the state of play for at least two years and more likely three.

Dude just straight up accepted a job offer, literally never contacted anyone he was supposed to in our country, turned up to some random meetings and sat there silently now and again so people knew he existed, and no-one ever followed up with him in the states.He has been collecting a principal engineers paycheque, bonus and RSUs ever since. He has netted probably half a million dollars for doing absolutely nothing for three years.

Just, mad respect.

Whoa, that owns. Just being on call for years and nobody asks you anything? Dang that's the dream.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

Civic recycling of paper is held up as a great success but it's potentially hosed the economic ecology of paper products. High quality paper needs 0.1%-2% high quality recycle fiber for void filling fines. Before civic recycling you would run a recycle stream in plant until your paper comes out good and keep that stream on parallel to the finished product.

Lol if your paper machine doesn't produce enough trim waste ribbons and occasional reject rolls to feed itself.

Sormus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 16, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

smellmycheese posted:

My limiter is more space. My home setup is imo nice (two monitors on risers that are old but work; nice mech keyboard, dying mouse that up until a few weeks ago was great and one of the few to not cause me wrist pain), but it's also all hooked up to my regular desktop and I don't have nearly enough adapters to get all that poo poo connected to my "two USB ports, no display ports" work laptop. I don't have space for a second desk or the money to sink into duplicating all that. Hell, I can't even find and afford one good desk chair right now, let alone swing the rest. (please send office furniture liquidators, they don't exist here)
The workaround has been just... not working from home, except one scheduled time next week.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Am I the only one who would rather sit on the couch, laptop in lap, with the TV on in the background than throw my home PC area out of whack with work vibes and bullshit equipment they try to force upon me?

It's easy-ish enough for me to plug my laptop up to my dual monitors... but like, that is MY Space.. not work's space.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gin_Rummy posted:

Am I the only one who would rather sit on the couch, laptop in lap, with the TV on in the background than throw my home PC area out of whack with work vibes and bullshit equipment they try to force upon me?

It's easy-ish enough for me to plug my laptop up to my dual monitors... but like, that is MY Space.. not work's space.

Considering using a small keyboard in my lap immediately sets the nerves in my wrists on fire: yeah, can't join you on that one, sorry.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I once worked a six-month temp contract at a Fortune 600 company (they later made the 500 and have remained in the low 400s as far as I can tell). This was late 2006-mid 2007, and just about everyone used Windows 2000 with Office 97. Getting Windows XP was a perk reserved for VIPs.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

~Coxy posted:

Someone did the same thing at my work with a boarding pass.
(I wish I had put something on the photo for scale. The chair-back kinda helps.)

Reminds me of the oversized boarding pass prank videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94C_xBp7S3g

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Gin_Rummy posted:

I've never found that setup to be comfortable in the least :(

As for the space, I get it - gently caress bosses, gently caress work, gently caress capitalism - but until we fix the last one, I'm trying to aggressively pursue my career so I have a full WFH setup that I paid for myself. The bonus/benefit of that is that I get to take it with me when I change companies. Which, I found out way too late in my career that nobody at the CURRENT place will probably ever care about how hard I bust my rear end, but when I talk about how much and what I do in interviews, it goes pretty well.

Note to self: be more aggressive about pursuing interview opportunities

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Gin_Rummy posted:

You've hit the nail on the head for why WFH can really gently caress some people up.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

vyst posted:

Printed poo poo can go gently caress itself because printers are the devil spawn of office machines

Yeah printers can suck a fat one. I hate printers!! I'm relatively good with computers, often help my coworkers with all kinds of things. But I despise printers and will NOT consort with them in any way.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I grew up in a house that was all cinder block, rebar, and concrete. I hate how houses are constructed in the US.

Sounds like a great tomb once an earthquake happens.

That's basically why all houses on the west coast are wood or other earthquake-standard-meeting materials

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Computer viking posted:

On the other end of the scale, I once managed to start printing a PhD thesis to our label printer. Scaled down to 50x75mm labels, it was entirely recognizable, but not very readable.

Hahahahaha, now I am sad I already read mine in 2016. I'd totally have printed the directors' copies in this format.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Play posted:

Sounds like a great tomb once an earthquake happens.

That's basically why all houses on the west coast are wood or other earthquake-standard-meeting materials

I grew up in Puerto Rico so I guess it's a hurricane thing. I've since moved to Florida, and from there to Georgia. I think I'd still prefer that type of construction.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

A CRAB IRL posted:

Just, mad respect.
:allears: I want career advice from this guy

Gin_Rummy posted:

I’ve worked from my bed for a year and I love it (and no not that kind of work). My ‘fun’ computer is desk, dual monitors, nice mouse, all that techie stuff, but my work is way easier than my hobby programming and I just don’t need any of it. Plus I like to be able to sit up, lie down, stretch out full length, get a blanket when I’m cold, roll around a bit... I find chairs uncomfortable, even good office chairs. I still sleep great. It’s not for everyone, if your job is high stress I’m sure you wouldn’t want to do this, but it works for me.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
My program at work is so riddled with meetings that the key personnel are routinely calling in to two meetings at the same time. This often leads to people who don't understand mute having their conversations bleed into the other speaker. This also leads to people constantly saying things like, "Yes one question... hold on... yes, one question... wait sorry, I'm on the other call too and it's hard to do this at the same time... so yes, one question... [long pause] sorry..."

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

el dingo posted:

Regarding companies cheaping out on general IT stuff, software etc: in my experience the bigger the company, the worse their software and equipment is.

In my experience, mid-sized companies, like 100-500 employees, do a pretty good job with it. Both small companies I've worked at aggressively resisted updating hardware. The place I was at from 2007 to 2014, with 25-ish employees, had me on the same Pentium 4 machine from the day I started until 2013, when they finally, finally gave us low-end i3 systems. This was a GIS job, and we had some pretty heavy processing tasks, so even with the i3s we'd have to run things overnight. My job, also 25-ish people, I at least got a new laptop, but other people were still running Windows 7 hardware.

First larger company I worked for had developers on a 3 year replacement cycle, and you got to keep your old hardware at the end. Managed to get a 2015 MacBook Pro that way. Current company is about 250 people, and they shipped me a shiny new laptop, dual monitors plus desk mount, and all the necessary accessories the week before I started. Not sure what their replacement cycle is, but at least they provided decent hardware to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The order was given yesterday to resume in person work, except my boss and my annoying coworker are both working from home still for unknown reasons. We usually have two meetings a week via zoom to check in, and one was today. I was with my other coworker who isn't very tech savvy and we were both going to use his computer for it. instead of joining the right meeting he accidentally created his own zoom meeting. After a few minutes without anyone else joining, we said gently caress it and left. I couldve corrected him and guided him to the right link, but I really didn't want to join the meeting and this way we can both say the link didn't work for whatever reason

I checked my phone to a barrage of messages via Google chat and emails from said annoying coworker, asking me to update things I've already updated and to provide my backlog of activity logs. When we started work from home we were given these incident command forms to fill out everyday to help track any expenses we could bill to our FEMA funding. The only people in our department who have anything to do with ICS or FEMA also happen to be the people we turn the logs in to, who don't do their own logs. I quit doing them months ago because no one was asking and I didn't see the point.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 16, 2021