Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

goddammit i know too much heinlein bullshit this is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
did Larry Niven turn out to be awful? idk i just remember liking Ringworld

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

iirc just generic pournelle-adjacent reagan paleochud poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk about "turn out", he's horny as hell and has weird ideas about women and age appropriate relationships, and did that thing where he told the bush admin to spread rumours that hospitals were harvesting organs to keep undocumented immigrants out of the healthcare system, but he's not as bad a jerry pournelle

also, i liked ringworld too. and a lot of known space.

i haven't read them in maybe 15 years, so that could have changed. but i did at the time

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Achmed Jones posted:

in all you zombies, the person didn't so much get a sex change. they found out that they had a fully functioning uterus and ovaries and all that all along, so they said "oh cool hook it up i guess" and the doctors wired it up (i guess there was external cosmetic surgery too or smth)
There are two characters I remember are a bit more explicit: one where some rich old dude got his brain put in his secretary and another where they're cloning someone and ask if they want any changes and they're like "pussy plz. Want one of those."

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I was reading william gibson and hacker and phreaker text files when I was a teenager lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
speaking of niven and pournelle i liked footfall but i read it in like fourth grade so don’t remember much about the actual content beyond the broad strokes about elephantile aliens

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

It's not quite the same, but former goons Chip Cheezum and Ironicus are doing a podcast about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

ymmv

thanks for this, it's loving hilarious hearing people trying to figure out jojo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd8ph0yeEBw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

and another where they're cloning someone and ask if they want any changes and they're like "pussy plz. Want one of those."

missed opportunity to get a coat of dicks like that dude from hydrogen sonata

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT_5D3HRa60

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mediaphage posted:

garak has always been my fav st char

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
where's the meme where you're so stuck on one thing you're still talking about star trek

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

His outfit makes him look like Cardassian Robin Williams here.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQXl9gaeNLQ

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNuL8cVxXMA

5 minutes that's better than 4 hours of superheroes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

missed opportunity to get a coat of dicks like that dude from hydrogen sonata

that dude rules.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm done with the dark forest and I'm reading death's end now so here is my review of cixian liu's epic trilogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfQbm8Wk2vU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lmao. From Immune: The Rho Agenda Book 2 by Richard Phillips

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

need a guest? hell yeah I'll do it

i wanna record a podcast some day , bjt i have Fools Voice

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NoneMoreNegative posted:

a.) no book needs 130 loving chapters

b.) someone had to read 129 to get to this point, pyrrhic meme victory

i think my favourite scene is where garak gives bashir a cardassian enigma tale holonovel, and bashir admits he doesn't like cardassian mysteries because everyone is always guilty. and garak responds with yes of course, you see the point of the holonovel is to figure out exactly who is guilty of exactly what. cracked me up.

Improbable Lobster posted:

i wanna record a podcast some day , bjt i have Fools Voice

ya i have a face for radio and a voice for silent films, oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It reminds me of Tom Clancy's futuristic hacker novel where the badass manly protagonist rides a tricycle everywhere and navigates the internet in VR hunting black-hat hackers in his suped-up digital Dodge Neon.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Airport Novel MilSpec Operator authors trying to come to grips with the 21st century

https://twitter.com/grthink/status/1114468451316379649

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mediaphage posted:

b.) someone had to read 129 to get to this point, pyrrhic meme victory

lol

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Airport Novel MilSpec Operator authors trying to come to grips with the 21st century

lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Actually speaking of Airport Spy books, I just saw that 2014-time Keanu was slated to star in a tv series based on Barry Eisler's John Rain character. Not a lot of news since so it probably withered on the vine but I remember the JR books not being bad for what they were and I could see KR ok in the main role.

I guess maybe since he has a tough resourceful gun-man character right now its on the back burner.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I can throw a football over those mountains, now please how do I open my Yahoo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

double lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I watched wandavision, it's marvel trying to do hosed up high concept poo poo like legion or doom patrol but it ends up pure mcu

it's not terrible or anything but the original schtick lasts about 3x longer than it needs to. good to see randall park in more stuff, I like him

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MLIcnua1is

tfw u are feeling extra In A Society

(Samsara is well worth a watch if you like visual spectacle art films)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

I watched wandavision, it's marvel trying to do hosed up high concept poo poo like legion or doom patrol but it ends up pure mcu

it's not terrible or anything but the original schtick lasts about 3x longer than it needs to. good to see randall park in more stuff, I like him

the original schtick didn't last long enough, I wish it had never reverted to standard mcu and I especially wish it didn't end in a big flying cgi laser battle

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

i found the first three eps are kind of a big ask, they should have been one or two at most. then it's ok until you get to the ep where they reveal agatha then i just threw up my hands. instead of "a wizard did it" it's just "two wizards did it". our month of d+ ended before the finale and i could not care if i ever end up seeing it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

the original schtick didn't last long enough, I wish it had never reverted to standard mcu and I especially wish it didn't end in a big flying cgi laser battle
they didn't do a good enough job with the retro sitcoms themselves, I think we were supposed to be too blown away by the schtick to get bored of it or something? I absolutely laughed out loud at the "recasting" though, best single moment of the series

I bet there's like a contractual obligation to do a big cg laser battle

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the modern family style ep was extremely grating. just like its source i suppose

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they should have done an arrested development episode with kevin feige narrating

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

someone spoil all of wandavisuon for me please

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

indigi posted:

it's 350 minutes of thinly justifying wanda and vision getting new costumes for maximum toyeticism

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

indigi posted:

this part isn't really a spoiler any more: most of the show is structured as a series of sitcom parodies, starting at the very beginning with an I love lucy/dick van dyke episode and later doing bewitched, brady bunch, malcolm in the middle, etc. the A-plots are standard sitcom stuff but with tinges of weirdness that slowly break apart the world

it turns out wanda was unable to deal with her grief over vision dying in infinity war and at her nadir reflexively used her latent witchery to create a pocket universe in which she and him could live happily ever after in the sitcoms she had good memories of from childhood. she also resurrected vision in this world as a magical construct. this attracts the attention of a real experienced witch who snuck in to subvert and steal wanda's powers. they have a big witch fight, which wanda wins, and she gives up on her fake world and family to try to deal with it more healthily in the future. it also attracts the attention of shield sword; they send in their best agent who accidentally gets turns into a superhero. everyone gets cool new outfits. please get hype for captain marvel 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

this guy i did MDMA with in 2018 looks like a discount jon snow
guy does MMA and is very intimidating but hes actually chill as gently caress