Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

wilderthanmild posted:

This reminds me of one particularly bad piece of advice I keep seeing/hearing. "Don't take Tylenol or any other medicine for your fever if you get one from the vaccine. You need to let your immune system do its work and get ready!"

This resulted in my MiL not taking anything or even drinking water for her fever despite being so bad she couldn't even stay awake apparently. Because people kept telling her that would undo the vaccine or some poo poo.

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We need to find all these “my grandson/my nephew”s and keep them as far away from the olds as possible, preferably in cages next to the volcano we just yeeted their phones into

I run what used to be a charity silver surfer group, which started 10 years ago and when the official group ended I just sort of carried it on as a cafe and cake club. I somehow managed to wrangle all of them into staying covid free until they all got jabbed, but it was an absolute battle against numerous opinionated dipshit younger male relations, who I will always slightly suspect were feeding some of them bad information for the inheritance money.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

People are really dumb about how the human body works. This is why we have a billion dollar industry built around the idea of removing "toxins" from your body by putting tape on your feet or drinking some magical tea.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
do we know how long it takes from Janssen jab receipt to when you're considered 'fully' inoculated? I know Pfizer is like, what, two weeks after second jab?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zgrowler2 posted:

do we know how long it takes from Janssen jab receipt to when you're considered 'fully' inoculated? I know Pfizer is like, what, two weeks after second jab?

Officially, two weeks. In reality, see the attached graphs. Maybe eight weeks.

Platystemon posted:

Right now, there’s the suggestion that a person is “fully vaccinated” two weeks after the Janssen vaccine when we know protection continues to climb for weeks after that.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 16, 2021

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

Jeza posted:

This is a really minor thing, but I see a lot of people/media having the wrong takeaway from medical advice that is designed to allay worry i.e. "If you have a strong reaction, that's actually good because it means your immune system is working!"

While that is superficially true, having little or no reaction to the vaccination has no proven connection to it conferring reduced immunity/efficacy. Having a really strong reaction doesn't necessarily mean you have some ubermensch immune system either. Immune responses are complicated things with many different aspects, and things like what causes side effects in some but not others is not always fully understood.

Basically, you or anyone else should not worry about not having massive side effects. It doesn't mean you won't get the same level of immunity as others.

I'll toss my anecdotal experience in. I had and recovered from COVID and under direction from my doctor got my shots when available and didn't really experience any reaction other than a stiff arm both times. I was really expecting the worse at the time too so it was a 'pleasant' surprise.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ohio is opening up Vaccines to all Ohioans over 16 on the 29th. For some reason they are also squeezing those 40 and up in on the 19th.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

wilderthanmild posted:

Ohio is opening up Vaccines to all Ohioans over 16 on the 29th. For some reason they are also squeezing those 40 and up in on the 19th.

can out of staters :zerg: it?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Platystemon posted:

well, uh, poo poo. I guess the Janssen vaccine taking up to eight weeks to hit an efficacy target of 65% isn't great, if that's indeed how it works. Still better than nothing

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Maybe? I think it was specifically stated to be Ohioans, but that might depend on how much they enforce it.

Random pharmacists probably don't care about being the vaccine police, but checking ID's isn't nearly as hard as verifying medical conditions or employment in specific jobs.

Edit: For what it's worth, the pharmacist and grocery store ones are the most likely for someone to get through like that I'd think, but the appointments are very hard to come by apparently. These new waves seemed to be timed to the opening of the new mass vaccination clinics in Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 16, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

This reminds me of one particularly bad piece of advice I keep seeing/hearing. "Don't take Tylenol or any other medicine for your fever if you get one from the vaccine. You need to let your immune system do its work and get ready!"

This resulted in my MiL not taking anything or even drinking water for her fever despite being so bad she couldn't even stay awake apparently. Because people kept telling her that would undo the vaccine or some poo poo.

People must think the fever is the brain killing off bad things like a little oven

In that case you really ought to hold it at 150F for about 20 minutes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s because of this.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/should-you-take-pain-relievers-after-covid-19-vaccine

quote:

No research has been done to look specifically at whether acetaminophen or ibuprofen can interfere with how well the coronavirus vaccine works.

But Cennimo said some earlier research suggests that some drugs may affect the immune response to vaccines.

“There are data in the vaccine literature, long predating COVID-19 and almost all [done] in children, that premedication with [fever-reducing drugs] like acetaminophen or ibuprofen decrease the antibody response to the first dose of vaccine,” Cennimo said.

Parents would sometimes give their child a pain reliever before their vaccine injection to head off the discomfort.

Cennimo said it’s not known how these medications interfere with vaccines, but the drugs may dampen the inflammatory response — which shows up as fever and aches.

With less inflammation, he said, there may also be a lower immune response to the vaccine.

More recently, a study published this month in the Journal of Virology found that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) — which include ibuprofen — reduced the production of antibodies and other aspects of the immune response to SARS-CoV-2.

Antibodies are proteins made by the immune system to fight viruses like SARS-CoV-2. The COVID-19 vaccines stimulate the body to produce antibodies that specifically target the coronavirus without causing disease.

The authors of this study said that this raises the possibility that NSAIDs might also affect the immune response to coronavirus vaccination. But additional studies would be needed to know for certain.

Some earlier researchTrusted Source in the laboratory suggests that fever-reducing pain medications may blunt the antibody response to vaccination, but it’s not clear what this means in the real world.

More research is needed, of course. But COVID-19 vaccine studies that have already been done suggest that taking a pain reliever after injection, if needed, may not cause that much of a problem.[/fever-reducing]

So it’s not 100% wrong :shrug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
There was some question early on but at this point the direction is to take a Tylenol or whatever if you need to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If there's one thing this last year has taught us, it's that you should actually look at the available info and studies yourself because the CDC is actually super untrustworthy!

(she should drink water though obv)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Usually you have to have some form of state ID or like a power bill. Something to show even partial residency

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just took codeine and tripped balls till the fever went away with both covid and the vaccination tbh.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do you think anyone ever got high.. while on corona vaccine?!? :2bong:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fun fact: In the U.K. they have found that the statistics show that you are way less likely to be hospitalised with covid if you smoke/toke/vape and it’s because of two reasons, firstly the smell keeps strangers on the street 2m away, and secondly there is a visual aid showing how far your breath can travel when you exhale smoke/vape so people go “gwah!” and step back

My Nan 94, is super pissed that she gave up smoking 40 years ago now, and even more pissed that the nursing home staff won’t buy her cigarettes.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Platystemon posted:

What proof, if any, is Hawai‘i requiring?

If you qualify occupationally then you have to register through your employer. If you qualify via the specified medical conditions then you probably need to roll up with supplemental oxygen or looking near-death sick.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do you think anyone ever got high.. while on corona vaccine?!? :2bong:
this potentially lowers your immune response as well, so you're not supposed to. i had my first dose yesterday and have been abstaining

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

this potentially lowers your immune response as well, so you're not supposed to. i had my first dose yesterday and have been abstaining

Wait, how does that square with the medicinal advice that the right frequency for weed usage is "every day"??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MarcusSA posted:

So it’s not 100% wrong :shrug:

It’s one hundred percent wrong in at least one respect. The fever isn’t doing anything for a person after vaccination. If we could turn it off at will, we would.

It’s just that breaking the fever in practice involves certain drugs that we think might have some negative effect on immunity.

The official recommendation is not to take OTC pain medication before vaccination, but they may be taken afterwards if necessary to manage symptoms.

Don’t down them because “I might possibly feel the tiniest bit unwell and it can’t hurt, right?”. Do take them if you have a serious business fever.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Fun fact: In the U.K. they have found that the statistics show that you are way less likely to be hospitalised with covid if you smoke/toke/vape and it’s because of two reasons, firstly the smell keeps strangers on the street 2m away, and secondly there is a visual aid showing how far your breath can travel when you exhale smoke/vape so people go “gwah!” and step back

My Nan 94, is super pissed that she gave up smoking 40 years ago now, and even more pissed that the nursing home staff won’t buy her cigarettes.

There was some early science behind nicotine suppressing the ACE2 response in the lungs or some poo poo too which was acting as a counter balance to the cytokine storms but i'm too lazy to go look for it right now

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

vyst posted:

There was some early science behind nicotine suppressing the ACE2 response in the lungs or some poo poo too which was acting as a counter balance to the cytokine storms but i'm too lazy to go look for it right now

Yup
France for sure was doing studies on nicotines effects re covid
And then it sunk like a stone. I can't find ANYTHING about results despite googling.
I think it was genuinely suppressed because smoking is so bad for you overall

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got my first jab (Pfizer). It was...weird. I was all braced for the Tetanus type experience but I barely felt the needle at all. Maybe the slightest of pricks. I don't really feel that different yet other than a sudden urge to buy Office 365.

I'm wondering how long if at all it will be before I feel effects from this. A lot of people say they don't feel much from the first but do from the second. My second shot will be in 4 weeks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

First Pfizer got! Feels loving good, man.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

First Pfizer got! Feels loving good, man.

Sup buddy. We should be getting our second jab around the same time :toot:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
First Pfizer shot was yesterday for me, and it knocked me on my rear end more than I expected. Follow up is in three weeks for me, which I thought was standard.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

It is hard to overstate how dogshit Switzerland's endgame has been. We've vaccinated some doctors and nurses and sort of 'front line adjacent' people. And they've just now cleared it for 70 and up (from 85). As far as I can understand it, this is group A. Group priority is alphabetical, so group B, people with chronic diseases, are up next! To put this in scale, I am basically a 35 y/o male w/o chronic conditions and I am in group N. I am almost certainly going to have to head to the States in June and I may just take the opportunity to get vaccinated while I'm there, at least the first dose of something. This is something I thought of on my own and then my wife's doctor mentioned it independantly, that it's something I should think about. Apparently we've ordered like 30 million doses, but we're all sitting here with our thumbs up our asses while cases are steadily rising once again. No, sorry I take that back. They are now starting a rigorous testing regime. Every person per household is now entitled to 5 free PCR tests per month! Not sure when we're getting them though. There is also an astonishing amount of anti-vaccination sentiment in this country, although it seems to be on par with the US as far as I can tell. But the last I saw, 41% of the population said they be "willing to be vaccinated immediately". All this having been said, they've stated emphatically and repeatedly that 'everyone who wants to can get vaccinated by the summer' which has always felt like a deliberately vague statement. "Be prepared for a third wave!" gently caress you.

what's up group Never buddy?

there's a handy calculator that will tell you when you can get your shots here! https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/impfterminrechner-schweiz#reihenfolge-der-impfungen it says my second shot should arrive in june or july. then we ran my wife's numbers, she's in group E and the date they gave was next week so lmao fml nobody has any idea and I'm gonna be stuck here for another summer without seeing my family back home

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
UK are doing them 11 weeks apart now, we are so far ahead of everyone else now that we got solid figures showing the effectiveness increases massively from 3 -12 weeks turning the second jab into a booster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Castaign posted:

First Pfizer shot was yesterday for me, and it knocked me on my rear end more than I expected. Follow up is in three weeks for me, which I thought was standard.

Mine is 4 weeks. I thought 3 was supposed to be standard but I guess there's a window of 6 weeks or something?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The current working here is 11 weeks apart, and then by this winter they will develop a yearly booster that takes into account all the current variants and either combine it with the flu jab or do them both at the same time - all our elderly, vulnerable and care workers get the flu jab so as usual the idea is to guess and hope like hell this works.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ginette Reno posted:

Mine is 4 weeks. I thought 3 was supposed to be standard but I guess there's a window of 6 weeks or something?

Pfizer, 3 weeks here. I guess the window is right:shrug:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

learnincurve posted:

The current working here is 11 weeks apart, and then by this winter they will develop a yearly booster that takes into account all the current variants and either combine it with the flu jab or do them both at the same time - all our elderly, vulnerable and care workers get the flu jab so as usual the idea is to guess and hope like hell this works.

Flu vaccine is being released here next week and the phase 1b covid vaccine rollout also starts next week.

Medical advice is to leave a minimum of two weeks between the two vaccines. I've already booked my flu shot as no-one knows how the hell they're supposed to sign up for the AZ vaccine yet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

That is one big question I have is how long will this protection last, and how often will I need a booster. Yearly? More often than that?

I guess there's not a lot of clear data on that yet for obvious reasons. But covid is presumably not going away even if lots of people get vaccinated so it stands to a reason we'll need boosters.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Platystemon posted:

I've never been able to tell, does that graph's timeline start from the first injection or the second?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kestral posted:

I've never been able to tell, does that graph's timeline start from the first injection or the second?

That vaccine only has one.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Ginette Reno posted:

The science isn't definite enough for confidence yet, but the last article that I read indicated that by three weeks after the first shot, efficacy is at 92.6%. It seems like the second shot only provides a very marginal boost.

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadviso...73-astrazeneca/

(Obviously, get your second shot anyway!)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Especially since they will be changing the vaccines to accommodate new/dominant stains if need be so the second one *may* end up being slightly different to the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
For folks in PA, the tracker/map that the state put out doesn't seem to include the vaccination clinics that the counties are running. In Central PA, I was able to schedule an appointment through my husband by doing a search for x county vaccination clinic and made an appointment for tomorrow that way.