Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

bags of pre-popped popcorn are especially terrible. yum, cheese powder-covered styrofoam

"pre-stale"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

i would argue that most popcorn is pretty terrible.

it's decent if super freshly popped in ripping hot oil and drenched in butter and salt, but so is just about anything edible

bags of pre-popped popcorn are especially terrible. yum, cheese powder-covered styrofoam

Oh yeah, I’m referring to fresh homemade stuff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pre-popped is garbage unless caramel, I agree. Bagged popcorn, like many things, is an evil drug that consumes you as you consume it, but then again drugs are cool so it's good once a year to feel the extremes of life experience.

Home popped is good and doesn't need a finicky method as long as it has fat and salt of some kind and isn't burnt.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The overpriced popcorn the boy scouts sell (used to sell?) was pretty good. Those really round pieces covered in cheese dust. Never got any that was stale, and ate it fast enough it never got stale.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Pre-popped is garbage unless caramel, I agree. Bagged popcorn, like many things, is an evil drug that consumes you as you consume it, but then again drugs are cool so it's good once a year to feel the extremes of life experience.

Home popped is good and doesn't need a finicky method as long as it has fat and salt of some kind and isn't burnt.

Yeah. Get some oil or ghee pretty hot, toss in some kernels, pop, shake, pop. Salt, then eat. It's so easy!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think I just have a problem with the hulls: I like the starchy popped corn part, but the little bits of hateful shrapnel that each kernel is wrapped in drive me crazy.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 16, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
One cannot experience pleasure without knowing pain.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I think I just have a problem with the hulls: I like the starchy popped corn part, but the little bits of hateful shrapnel that each kernel is wrapped in drive me crazy.

You need a servant.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Popcorn is actually bad, no matter how good the seasoning
Mindphlux got banned but this is allowed

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Popcorn is good. If you put salt and butter on it, it tastes like salty butter!

Bagged stuff is bad though yeah.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Smartfood is bagged but I would kill for it. Actually the true winner of the white cheddar genre is Popcornopolis, but I'm not paying those prices even for manna

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I hate the semi-popped ones that look like they'd be edible but end up being like a rock.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The overpriced popcorn the boy scouts sell (used to sell?) was pretty good. Those really round pieces covered in cheese dust. Never got any that was stale, and ate it fast enough it never got stale.

They still sell it, mulch too.

Related to Boy Scouts though. I'm gonna get my name updated with them. Then there will be another girl Eagle Scout. :getin:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Related to Boy Scouts though. I'm gonna get my name updated with them. Then there will be another girl Eagle Scout. :getin:

Hell yeah, Eagle sister!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

I wasn't even sure if they were still around. I knew they declared bankruptcy at some point, and what with all the molesting and homophobia and transphobia and racism, thought maybe they'd had just quietly gone away.

edit: Also congrats on all your life changes. Takes courage to be yourself.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A shop in my hometown sells pre popped jalapeño cheddar and caramel corn. It doesn’t beat fresh stuff, but I’ll eat a whole barrel of that there corn.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
smartfood is terrible popcorn

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yet like so many foods, compelling despite it.

It's mostly a vector for white cheddar powder tbh.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Yet like so many foods, compelling despite it.

It's mostly a vector for white cheddar powder tbh.

yeah i’d much rather just buy white cheddar powder in that case though

speaking of buying things, chile resupply today

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

drizzle niter kibbeh over stovetop popcorn for a good time tbh

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I wasn't even sure if they were still around. I knew they declared bankruptcy at some point, and what with all the molesting and homophobia and transphobia and racism, thought maybe they'd had just quietly gone away.

edit: Also congrats on all your life changes. Takes courage to be yourself.

Nope, they've expanded to let girls in as well. But they still segregate Troops by gender. I don't know all the details because I've been out of Scouts for 16 years now, lol. So I've had no reason to keep track. I may at some point go back to helping somehow, as like a merit badge counselor or something.

And thanks. It'll be nice to get my Eagle card replaced with *my* name. I'm still waiting on the BMV and County Probate Court to get my paperwork back to me, to replace my license and also have the physical court order.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Nope, they've expanded to let girls in as well. But they still segregate Troops by gender. I don't know all the details because I've been out of Scouts for 16 years now, lol. So I've had no reason to keep track. I may at some point go back to helping somehow, as like a merit badge counselor or something.

And thanks. It'll be nice to get my Eagle card replaced with *my* name. I'm still waiting on the BMV and County Probate Court to get my paperwork back to me, to replace my license and also have the physical court order.

this is awesome. i went back to help teach scouts merit badge stuff but they wanted nothing to do with me at the time when i came out.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I got shut out of scouts when I was like 8 because weeblos were "full" and never looked back

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Troops being segregated is dependent completely on your area council. Out here its all integrated (unless it's a Mormon troop, but that's another story). We also have lots of girls in the Order of the Arrow now too!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
As a girl, I got kicked out by the troop leader of Jr. Girl Scouts after she had a big argument with my mom. The previous meeting had said woman telling all 5 girls in the troop around the table our biggest character flaws so we could work on them. Passed that on to my mom, and she was livid. Later I bought a boy scout handbook and messed around with knots and semaphore stuff, but with no one to show it off to, I lost interest. 12 year old me Absolutely wanted to go camping, do knots and flags and such. GS had us baking cakes and doing macrame.

Food chat: what's your favorite camping food? I tend to camp heavy, with cast iron dutch oven that I love to do either beef stew or sausage and beans in. Just got a lighter weight Stanley cookset. I got a book on making dehydrated camp meals, and want to try stews utilizing dried meat and veg. Any excuse to poke a fire while drinking box wine from a tin cup...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

As a girl, I got kicked out by the troop leader of Jr. Girl Scouts after she had a big argument with my mom. The previous meeting had said woman telling all 5 girls in the troop around the table our biggest character flaws so we could work on them. Passed that on to my mom, and she was livid. Later I bought a boy scout handbook and messed around with knots and semaphore stuff, but with no one to show it off to, I lost interest. 12 year old me Absolutely wanted to go camping, do knots and flags and such. GS had us baking cakes and doing macrame.

Food chat: what's your favorite camping food? I tend to camp heavy, with cast iron dutch oven that I love to do either beef stew or sausage and beans in. Just got a lighter weight Stanley cookset. I got a book on making dehydrated camp meals, and want to try stews utilizing dried meat and veg. Any excuse to poke a fire while drinking box wine from a tin cup...

hot dogs on a stick in a fire

if it's a multiday hike i just take pemmican

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Re: boy scout/girl scout/guides chat, in my part of Canada that was called Beavers when I was a kid and I remember at maybe age 8 or so going a few times and having to repeat some really uncomfortable pseudoprayer thing at the start and then they wanted us to bring a nickel or a quarter or something every time to put in some communal fund and I was basically done with it at that point.

I'm surprised to hear that so many of you that experienced discrimination in various ways with these groups seem eager to participate in some way now that it's less acceptable for these groups to be outwardly discriminatory. You should start your own inclusive troops/guides where people get to do what they want regardless of gender etc.

e:

Arkhamina posted:

I no longer really enjoy camping (loved it as a kid, dunno) but basically anything involving the fire is dope. I know you can use coals and create heat zones and do things properly but for me if I'm out camping somewhere I want to leave that complexity at home and just do hot dogs/hamburgers/smores.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I always love fire baked potatoes, and the British smores equivalent is cutting open a banana, shoving a Mars bar inside, wrapping it in foil and then roasting it in the fire for a bit. Squidgy caramel goodness.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Savory oatmeal is an easy one, and you can pre-mix the dry ingredients ahead of time. Brown some chorizo in the pan, pour in the water and dry stuff, serve with shredded cheddar. Dehydrated mushrooms, tomatoes, shallots, etc. all work great.

Edit: shakshuka/eggs in purgatory is also good. If you want to save time, you can just use a fancy pasta sauce instead of making your own (I like puttanesca).

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2021

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Troops being segregated is dependent completely on your area council. Out here its all integrated (unless it's a Mormon troop, but that's another story). We also have lots of girls in the Order of the Arrow now too!

I was reading the BSA reddit (there's a reddit for that? wild), and apparently they're not up to code going by the higher ups of the org. But lmao who the gently caress cares? As long as everyone is cool, a coed troop should be perfectly fine.

And hell yeah. I never went for OA, because the first selection ceremony I saw weirded me out so I wasn't interested. Lol. But girl got her Eagle and that's all I cared about in the end to prove my mom and one Scout Master wrong.

Camping food? I like cast iron pineapple upside down cake. Good times. And smores. Or chili but that's an anytime food.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I was walking around work thinking about campfire cooking and I realized that actually you could do some really nice baked beans if you put them in a small dutch oven sorta thing and let them sit in the coals overnight. A nice breakfast.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The best camping food is beer.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I got out of scouts when I was 10 or 11 or so, I got caught doing the cool crime of kissing and I also proved extremely bad at basket-weaving which iirc was a requirement to move to the next rank. I don't think I got kicked out so much as it just became very awkward to be there and I was starting to be more interested in doing extracurricular stuff through school, like theater.

I do still really like camping though. My favorite camp meal to actually cook is enchiladas but nothing beats waking up to the smell of somebody else making eggs and strong coffee.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
In case anyone was curious turning a muffin pan into a doughnut pan with sculpted tin foil does not work

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

For car camping and having a cooler around, I love doing foil packets of veg/taters/meat, as well as tossing a huge stack of tortillas and eggs in and having breakfast burritos and pb wraps all day.

For actual backpacking, I mainly survive on tortillas, peanut butter, instant oatmeal, a flask of bourbon, and some sort of sugary candy like skittles or m&ms. Last fall I found some instant bibimbap rations online, and that was pretty fuckin delicious after a long day of hiking. Some of the freeze dried brands are getting to be pretty edible, esp if you pack a bottle of hot sauce along with.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

For car camping and having a cooler around, I love doing foil packets of veg/taters/meat, as well as tossing a huge stack of tortillas and eggs in and having breakfast burritos and pb wraps all day.

For actual backpacking, I mainly survive on tortillas, peanut butter, instant oatmeal, a flask of bourbon, and some sort of sugary candy like skittles or m&ms. Last fall I found some instant bibimbap rations online, and that was pretty fuckin delicious after a long day of hiking. Some of the freeze dried brands are getting to be pretty edible, esp if you pack a bottle of hot sauce along with.

next year you guys should come over and we’ll do one of the cool multi day trails here

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

On the before times, when we could travel, I went to a beach in Scotland, assembled a ring of stone and made a fire, over which I cooked a whole salmon. Probably doesn’t count as camping food, but it was amazing

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

On the before times, when we could travel, I went to a beach in Scotland, assembled a ring of stone and made a fire, over which I cooked a whole salmon. Probably doesn’t count as camping food, but it was amazing

Nobody cares what you did, popcorn hater.

(That whole experience/meal actually sounds really incredible.)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I love SPAM cooked over a campfire. When I was younger I went to a tripping camp where we'd go into the woods for a few weeks, and a reflecting oven was great for making bannock - the best was when we had dehydrated apples and made apple cinnamon bannock. Tastes great with a little ash on the crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

angerbeet posted:

I love SPAM cooked over a campfire. When I was younger I went to a tripping camp where we'd go into the woods for a few weeks, and a reflecting oven was great for making bannock - the best was when we had dehydrated apples and made apple cinnamon bannock. Tastes great with a little ash on the crust.

That would be fantastic. My partner is half First Nations and half South American so I get to eat a lot of bannock and arepas, the latter being something that I'm always surprised isn't more mainstream. It's so flexible and easy.