Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I think the solution is to learn more from the spirit of Factorio's player logistics system than the specific implementation via logistics drones.

If I were proposing a solution, it would be to allow the player to mark inventory slots as "reserved" for certain materials. For instance, a player could specify that they want four slots (400 units) of metal plates. This would be available from the very beginning of the game, and would be immediately useful without any other changes, as you'd never reach a build site only to find out you forgot to refill some essential material.

Then I'd add a "dispenser" checkbox to crates, boxes, storage containers, stations, and logistics vehicles. If checked, this would automatically top off the player's reserved slots whenever they walk within a certain distance. The final stage could be some kind of quantum station that streams items into the player's inventory (with the rate limited by distance to the nearest station).

The intent would be to transition the player as early as possible from a mindset of "I need to babysit my inventory" to "If I manufacture and ship large quantities of materials, I won't need to babysit my inventory"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

iiiiiiits patch day!

Stream starting on their twitch channel at 9am EST, I think

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is it worth switching over to experimental? Can you switch back without losing an entire save? (I guess they are easy to backup, silly question)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Is it worth switching over to experimental? Can you switch back without losing an entire save? (I guess they are easy to backup, silly question)

I'm pretty sure you cannot switch back since experimental has stuff that current version doesn't. You might be fine if your plan is to "switch back" once Update 4 comes out for good, but they advise backing up saves for using experimental regardless of your plans, IIRC.

e: It's worth switching over if you want to play with new (high end) stuff ASAP.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

e: It's worth switching over if you want to play with new (high end) stuff ASAP.

Also, past updates have sometimes messed with map geometry, so the earlier you switch to the new update the sooner you'll know if half your base is now inside a mountain.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

fezball posted:

Also, past updates have sometimes messed with map geometry, so the earlier you switch to the new update the sooner you'll know if half your base is now inside a mountain.

I think they've said on stream that this update didn't change the world at all, because changing the world resets all the cut trees, so it will turn your factory into a jungle

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

priznat posted:

I switched during the last update, it's entirely stable and pleasant. I honestly barely even understand why they even have the split.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

A Moose posted:

I think they've said on stream that this update didn't change the world at all, because changing the world resets all the cut trees, so it will turn your factory into a jungle

Depends on what you mean by changing the map, maybe? I assumed they were adding nitrogen gas wells with this update.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

You might be fine if your plan is to "switch back" once Update 4 comes out for good

This should be fine. When they roll out the major update to the main branch, they briefly have experimental and main delivering identical versions. So at that point you can hop back to main branch.

Oxyclean posted:

but they advise backing up saves for using experimental regardless of your plans, IIRC.

AFAIK in the past, switching branches or updates haven't done anything to existing saves. So like, standard disclaimer. But if you make a new save called "last 3.5 save" before changing to experimental, that should be unchanged if you switch back later.

You'd lose any progress from saves made in the 4.0 version, but if your goal is just to jump into experimental for a day to check out the new stuff and then go back, it's no problem.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I switched during the last update, it's entirely stable and pleasant. I honestly barely even understand why they even have the split.
Looking at the patch notes while they were doing the conveyor changes the past few months, they roll stuff out to experimental that can be "quirky" for multiplayer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah just starting up the experimental version won't destroy any savegames by itself.

But if you load an old save in experimental, and play it, then that save gets converted to the new version, and it won't load properly in the old version any longer.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So is this just the engine update? I haven't really done much with the game to create any lag, so I don't think I'd notice any improvements.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Because Factorio does that :v:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’m sure I’m in the minority but Epic makes this easy as the main branch and experimental are separate “games” in the library. They both point at the same location for saves, so as long as you name saves appropriately to remind yourself what version a save was created with, you’re gold

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Do you folks think mods will be updated for the experimental version? I need the passive mod to play as I suck vs the baddies.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
HOLY poo poo on their stream they just revealed the secret thing: LIGHTS!

EDIT: ALSO DRONES for fast logistics transport!!!!!!!!!

EDIT EDIT: AND A HOVERPACK (which uses power from the grid)

(also I called it: plutonium waste is not able to be reprocessed, but it's produced in much smaller amounts)

Tombot posted:

So is this just the engine update? I haven't really done much with the game to create any lag, so I don't think I'd notice any improvements.

No, it's also tier 8 plus a major rework to tier 7.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 16, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
:pcgaming: PARTICLE ACCELERATORS :pcgaming:

Sure they were datamined like a year ago but it will be cool to actually use them

e: Full patch notes here

Besides the major stuff, there are a few smaller but significant changes:

quote:

- Upped stack sizes for several commonly used items
- Rebalanced progression of inventory slot increases

Should help cut down on having to go back and forth between resource storage and a build site.

quote:

Implemented proper snapping functionality for Water Extractors

Been wanting this for a while, setting up water has always been a pain because the buildings didn't snap.

quote:

Added ability to copy and paste settings in buildings (such as selected recipes, overclocking, etc.)

Huge change, having to manually set every recipe was maybe the worst part of any large project.

Wasn't expecting any physical changes to the world but looks like some of them made it in around the dunes. Looking forward to checking all this out when I'm done with work today.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 16, 2021

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Drones have me intrigued....

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
They pick up speed with distance traveled, very cool addition

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
:sbahj: I was not expecting all that in this release. Can't wait to try this out

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

e: Full patch notes here

Besides the major stuff, there are a few smaller but significant changes:

The one that caught my eye:

quote:

Decreased Fuel burn rate in Fuel Generator from 15 per minute to 12 per minute
Which either means fuel generators produce less power each, or regular fuel has higher energy per unit.

If it's the former that kinda sucks because it means you have to build even more generators. If it's the latter it's interesting, but also makes turbofuel much less attractive -- in particular the heavy turbo fuel recipe. (But maybe turbofuel is also better?)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow Drones were what I was hoping for, that rules!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Klyith posted:

The one that caught my eye:

Which either means fuel generators produce less power each, or regular fuel has higher energy per unit.

If it's the former that kinda sucks because it means you have to build even more generators. If it's the latter it's interesting, but also makes turbofuel much less attractive -- in particular the heavy turbo fuel recipe. (But maybe turbofuel is also better?)

Supposedly it's the latter. Helps to make fuel a more significant leap from coal in terms of how much power you can produce from a single node and I think turbofuel will still be an appealing option since it's something like 3x as efficient. I got my new save to tier 7 in anticipation of the update, my first projects are going to be a basic aluminum facility for Mk.5 belts and then a facility making as much turbofuel as I can from a single pure oil node so I'll have plenty of power going forward.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They made a video with all of the stuff in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp77ih_XmkY

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol “enjoy your drones and poo poo!”

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tombot posted:

They made a video with all of the stuff in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp77ih_XmkY

oh. its wacky.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The doggo :(

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

can we ride on the drones?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I guess drones are just point to point instead of flying to the player and being able to seek out resources so it’s just a small capacity truck that you don’t have to gently caress around with recording a path. Still pretty neat though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Twibbit posted:

The doggo :(
Clearly self-defense

It's very tempting to switch the branch and download the update but I think I'm going to wait for early access.
I'm happy they finally fixed that train no-power bug in multiplayer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gonna light up my factories like a disco

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did they buy those new offices with Valheim's money? :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I think turbofuel will still be an appealing option since it's something like 3x as efficient.

Turbofuel produced from regular fuel is still an appealing upgrade.

Turbofuel using the "Turbo Heavy Fuel" alt is relatively worse, because now diluted fuel is competitive with it straight up, no turbo required. And it's not a vast difference in machinery either.
code:
300 / minute oil in -> Heavy Oil Residue 400/m
	-> Diluted Fuel	800/m		66.6 gens 10GW		13.33 refineries + 26 packagers
	-> Turbo Heavy	320/m		71.1 gens 10.6GW	10.66 refineries
Basically I don't like the dominance of Diluted Fuel, because I don't like anything that collapses the design space down to a single answer. Diluted does that. Before the packager, there was at least the downside of needing a million refineries. Post-3.5, it's just always the correct choice because setting up a rank of packagers is pretty quick and they don't consume as much power.

Which isn't to say that I think the packager was a bad addition -- needing a million refineries was a dumb downside. But it was a buff to a thing that was already well ahead of the pack. If they're not gonna tone down Diluted (people would be mad), IMO the non-Diluted Fuel pathways need a boost. In particular I'd improve the Polymer Resin alt + make the 2 Residual recipes run faster, which would at least make that setup into a strong output-per-refinery winner despite being much less productive per input. And now the Heavy Turbofuel alt also needs a buff to be even mildly useful.

e:

Peachfart posted:

oh. its wacky.

Satisfactory is made by

very serious people.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 16, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a way to hide the experimental banner in the top left?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Only by not playing Experimental, as far as I know. I think it's to make it obvious in screenshot bug reports which version you're playing.

So, it looks like the simplification made to aluminium production is simply replacing the petroleum coke requirement with coal - essentially switching the main and alt recipes for aluminium scrap around. I was expecting something more extensive, but this seems about the right level of complexity.

Basic nuclear power hasn't changed much either; just changing the uranium -> pellets -> cells in refinery and assembler into uranium -> cells in a blender. So it's pretty straightforward to update your existing factories to new recipes, at least at the basic resource production end.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Final space elevator unlock is a golden coffee cup. Funnily enough the last unlock is also bugged, you don't actually need any materials for it.

After that the elevator just says "Unavailable in early access".

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Open up a power pole and then click on the diagnostics a lot. You'll be amused.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm loving hyped for drones. Question is, will they be more or less likely to get caught up on everything.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Leal posted:

I'm loving hyped for drones. Question is, will they be more or less likely to get caught up on everything.
I want to ride a drone!

Edit: I wonder if it would be faster than riding a train or using a normal hypertube.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Leal posted:

I bet they just clip thru anything built in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Klyith posted:

Turbofuel produced from regular fuel is still an appealing upgrade.

Turbofuel using the "Turbo Heavy Fuel" alt is relatively worse, because now diluted fuel is competitive with it straight up, no turbo required. And it's not a vast difference in machinery either.
code:
300 / minute oil in -> Heavy Oil Residue 400/m
	-> Diluted Fuel	800/m		66.6 gens 10GW		13.33 refineries + 26 packagers
	-> Turbo Heavy	320/m		71.1 gens 10.6GW	10.66 refineries
Basically I don't like the dominance of Diluted Fuel, because I don't like anything that collapses the design space down to a single answer. Diluted does that. Before the packager, there was at least the downside of needing a million refineries. Post-3.5, it's just always the correct choice because setting up a rank of packagers is pretty quick and they don't consume as much power.

Which isn't to say that I think the packager was a bad addition -- needing a million refineries was a dumb downside. But it was a buff to a thing that was already well ahead of the pack. If they're not gonna tone down Diluted (people would be mad), IMO the non-Diluted Fuel pathways need a boost. In particular I'd improve the Polymer Resin alt + make the 2 Residual recipes run faster, which would at least make that setup into a strong output-per-refinery winner despite being much less productive per input. And now the Heavy Turbofuel alt also needs a buff to be even mildly useful.

Calculator has an update for experimental: https://u4.satisfactorytools.com/production

There is a new alt for Turbofuel -> Turbo Blend Fuel which comes from 2 fuel, 4 heavy oil residue, 3 sulfur and 3 coal

Using that, the calc suggests 400/m output from a 300/m source. Not sure how much the additional production buildings will increase the power draw.