Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Which, yes, the question of "why doesn't he ALWAYS do that" still applies if he can just time travel to fix his problems. The movie tries to head that off at the pass by having Jor-El pre-emptively declaring it forbidden, but still.

I guess, but once you cross that line, it's kinda hard to just never ever do it again when you know you have the power to.

I get why it all makes so much sense for the sake of the story, but it just opens up such a can of worms. Maybe it could have been some sort of special crystal in the Fortress of Solitude that can only be used once, and he decides to use it to save Lois or something. I don't know.

Also rewatching that part of the movie made me feel like Rashida Jones could be a good Lois Lane. Too bad she's a lovely person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Splint Chesthair posted:

Hey wait so who exactly was Lil Clark pretending to be when he put on that cape?

The Sentry!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Ghosthotel posted:

For "You don't owe the world anything": That's true! Clark doesn't! He has no ties to his earth except his Mom and Dad, and maybe Lois at that point but the fact that Clark goes out of his way to save the world despite a really frosty welcoming party from the US government is what makes him Superman.

This is two pages back but like this is literally the most basic and important point of Superman lol and even any Christ-like character (which people constantly claim of Superman).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Danger posted:

This is two pages back but like this is literally the most basic and important point of Superman lol and even any Christ-like character (which people constantly claim of Superman).
I don't particularly love the Superman-as-Christ metaphor (he's a Moses metaphor!) but from my understanding of a religion that is admittedly not my own, being human is even more important to the entire point of Christ than it is to the entire point of Superman. And it's really goddamn important to the entire point of Superman.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

That scene is such a massive special effects failure. He's not rotating the Earth -- he's not even touching it -- he's going so fast that he starts going back in time. But because all we see is the Earth rotating as Superman circles it, and especially because it slowly comes to a stop and then has to accelerate into going in the opposite direction, it looks like he physically stops the planet, turns it backwards, and that actually reverses time somehow. Cause and effect get all switched up.

Which, yes, the question of "why doesn't he ALWAYS do that" still applies if he can just time travel to fix his problems. The movie tries to head that off at the pass by having Jor-El pre-emptively declaring it forbidden, but still.

He's definitely changing the spin and going back in time that way. Why do you think he then has to spin round the earth in the opposite direction if it's just to go fast?

(Also, going so fast you go back in time doesn't make any more sense at all. In fact I think it makes even less sense, because turning back time by moving the earth back through time like it's a hand of a clock at least feels right in a sort of fairy-tale logic way.)

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Jamesman posted:

The first Superman movie is the closest to a perfect Superman movie. The only things that stand out from memory are;

-Lois' freestyle poem when flying. Like, what the gently caress?
-Changing the rotation of the Earth to bring Lois back from the dead. I get what they were going for, but it's still a goofy thing that just raises questions of "Why doesn't he ALWAYS do that from now on?"

Honorable mention goes to that little girl being hit by her mom and having to assume Superman is just kinda fine with it.

The Earth scene is the central thesis of the movie, and of Superman, though. It's a question of the particular over the universal. Superman is willing to literally stop the Earth to save a single person as an act of transgressive love over a utilitarian calculus. It's Oskar Schindler "save one life and save the world entire" poo poo.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

cargohills posted:

He's definitely changing the spin and going back in time that way. Why do you think he then has to spin round the earth in the opposite direction if it's just to go fast?

(Also, going so fast you go back in time doesn't make any more sense at all. In fact I think it makes even less sense, because turning back time by moving the earth back through time like it's a hand of a clock at least feels right in a sort of fairy-tale logic way.)

Yea that's sort of an absurd take. Like it makes way more visual sense to see the Earth spinning backwards. Also lol at worrying about the continuity of it all. the MCU has poisoned so many minds.

Danger fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 16, 2021

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Splint Chesthair posted:

Hey wait so who exactly was Lil Clark pretending to be when he put on that cape?
Leonidas.

It sucks that they deleted the extended version of that scene were little Clark kicked his dog into their well while screaming, "This is... Smallville!"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

X-O posted:

I think everyone gets the point of the tornado scene, but even as someone that likes the film that scene is terrible.

You say that, but I keep running into people who don't get the point of the tornado scene.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

cargohills posted:

I understand it doesn't make any sense, but "can go so fast he travels through time" was in fact an established power of Superman's until 1986.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bongo Bill posted:

You say that, but I keep running into people who don't get the point of the tornado scene.

who

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Isn't going so fast you go back in time the reason the flash is able to break reality repeatedly

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

site posted:

Isn't going so fast you go back in time the reason the flash is able to break reality repeatedly

Yeah but he has like, speed magic he taps into or whatever

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

He also always fucks something up, so it’s not really a mulligan machine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's really loving simple. The earth has time zones. If you fly west really fast you will go back in time. Even a jet can leave chicago and land in LA before it took off.

Now Superman, he's batshit fast, so if he goes around the Earth he goes back through the time zones and back in time.

That's just how time zones work you FUCKS

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Karloff posted:

I don't think Kilmer did. At one point he strafes to the side to avoid a missile shot by Two-Face, which then proceeds to blow up a car containing some goons behind him. But I don't think that counts as Batman killing, morally or legally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6tXQyVLmHo&t=121s
Those dudes are toast and it counts for at least half, like Bale using the Train on Ra's

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's really loving simple. The earth has time zones. If you fly west really fast you will go back in time. Even a jet can leave chicago and land in LA before it took off.

Now Superman, he's batshit fast, so if he goes around the Earth he goes back through the time zones and back in time.

That's just how time zones work you FUCKS

drat, owned

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

The United States posted:

Those dudes are toast and it counts for at least half, like Bale using the Train on Ra's

This seems like they would have crashed and died no matter what Batman did.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
If you go fast enough you go back in time. That's like, actual physics.

(It's also actual physics that you can't get past the speed of light, but, you know, Superman.)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The United States posted:

This movie honestly looks like a better time than BvS was. The cartoonish "GWAAAH" when Two Face sees the exploded cars :allears:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't care whether Batman did or didn't kill Ras, the funny part of Begins to me is when he is told he must kill the caged man not knowing what his crime is, and he steadfastly refuses to kill, by throwing bombs and exploding their entire fort, probably killing that guy and countless ninjas.

It kind of happens on accident in the scuffle but it's still really funny. Reminds me of paladins loving up in my D&D games.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

JT Smiley posted:

This seems like they would have crashed and died no matter what Batman did.

Seeing Batman’s cool car drive up a wall distracted drivered them to death. He basically shot them all execution style. Gross

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Beamed posted:

This movie honestly looks like a better time than BvS was. The cartoonish "GWAAAH" when Two Face sees the exploded cars :allears:

I'll defend Batman Forever. It's not as good as the previous two, but it is nowhere near as bad as Batman & Robin and is a fun, but goofy as gently caress, movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll defend Batman and Robin, it's fun as hell and it's hilarious, sometimes even on purpose. The only indefensible thing about it is their Bad Bane, but now there's been a good Bane on screen so it doesn't matter, and that one point in the Poison Ivy fight where Schumaker reverse loops some footage. That was loving amateurish! Everything else is so meticulous and carefully done!

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I don't know. If I'm being chased by some guys and their mate comes from the opposite direction and starts blasting at me causing me to jump out the way. If the bullets then hit the people who are chasing me - who it seems were chasing me to lead me into that fatal trap - I don't think I am responsible for their deaths. I may feel bad but they kind of hoisted themselves up on those gallows.

That said, I don't have the skills of Batman (yet...).

Karloff fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 16, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Batman and Robin is honestly pretty watchable. It'd be a lot moreso if it was a good twenty minutes shorter, but alas.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's always bugged me that the movie they introduced Robin in is called Batman Forever and the fourth movie in the series is called Batman and Robin.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Arist posted:

Batman and Robin is honestly pretty watchable. It'd be a lot moreso if it was a good twenty minutes shorter, but alas.

Batman and Robin is queer camp and it is good. Batman is gay as hell.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah it's too bad robin and batgirl are in it because every scene with them sucks

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Schumaker should have been allowed to make Superman movies instead. My biggest gripes are that his Gotham City is Metropolis and his Batman is Superman; that bit in Batman and Robin where the reporter lady brightly goes "in Gotham we have Batman to save us!" is just... no, goddammit. That's a Metropolis attitude.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sentinel Red posted:

I've never been hung up on the movie Bats body count thing. However, what does irk me whenever this subject comes up here is the disingenuous and bad faith takes of the various situations that completely ignore context and intent around the proceedings. In the situation you refer to, 3 people are hanging on for dear life with a guy about to shoot them even if they don't fall. Batman throws a bunch of coins to spoil the toss but that's hardly the same as, say shoving a soon-to-explode bomb in someone's pants, or opening up with Gatling guns and rockets at a bunch of goons.

Same with the Adam West 'kills' - he punches them and they immediately cease to exist because it turns out they were 'molecularly unstable', who the gently caress would have predicted that? Or when an exhausted and literally just shot Bale throws himself at an armed man who's about to shoot a child in the face - he's not thinking "Imma go waste that sucker", he's trying a last ditch Hail Mary to save a kid.

The way some folks paint such distorted pictures, you'd think all the live action Batmen just cruise around looking for ne'er-do-wells to strangle and/or riddle with bullets when that isn't the case at all, even with Affleck's Bats. The closest for it is Keaton, who comes across as completely insane at times.

Movie is pretty fresh in my brain (mostly for the scene where the replayed the acid being thrown in Harvey's face and Batman is there like he was just chilling with the jury before the incident) and yes Batman did a whole dive down to save Chase and Robin but by the time Two Face shows up to shoot all of them they are chilling on a railing just below the railing Two Face is on. All three are standing up and being supported on their own two feet. When Two Face falls they all kind of just watch him plummet. Now I am not saying Batman should have dived down again to grab Two Face but they could have bullshitted him just firing a grappling hook or something into Two Face's leg.

Here's the scene again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjOcYSzGMD4

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I could probably list 30 things off the top of my head I love about it.

I will now do so.

1) Alfred's speech about how Batman has the ultimate goal of defeating death
2) Bat nipples
3) Bat credit card
4) Bob Gale's widow being a ham
5) Uma Thurman sneaking into a party in a gorilla suit
6) Take two of these and call me in the morning
7) A dog getting frozen while peeing on a fire hydrant
8) Giant gothic statue architecture
9) Fake rubber lips
10) Lionel Luthor as a crazy scientist
11) Alicia Silverstone underground motorcycle race
12) Don't forget to winterize your pipes
13) Freeze watching a bunch of old cartoons about winter while wearing polar bear slippers
14) 3 mph max speed giant batmobile
15) Goofy pose Clooney does the first time he catches Freeze
16) Bat skates
17) Knowing what killed the dinosaurs
18) Sculpted butt plates
19) Neon lighting everywhere
20) Poison Ivy's costume
21) Poison Ivy's camp acting
22) The duuuun dun dun dun DUN DUN dundun theme music
23) They put Ivy in the same cell as Freeze
24) Any brief moment Arnold is actually serious about Nora
25) Batgirl kicking Poison Ivy's butt
26) Robin/Batgirl romance (a lot more appropriate than Batgirl/Batman!)
27) Clooney anytime he's Bruce Wayne
28) Always gotta love lasers powered by a diamond
29) Still the best Alfred from the previous 3 movies
30) Smashing Pumpkins

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I will now do so.

10) Lionel Luthor as a crazy scientist

You put a 0 beside the 1 on accident.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

30) Smashing Pumpkins

Can confirm this is correct. That was a cool song from the Smashing Pumpkins.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman and Robin is a painful movie to see and I probably still have retinal damage due to the amount of neon light being strobed into my brain. Whereas Batman Forever couldn't decide if it wanted to be campy or Burtonesquely crazy Batman and Robin decided to overcompensate by going full blown camp.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Batman Forever is fairly enjoyable for many of the same reasons people cite for B&R: Nicole Kidman vamps it up almost as much as Thurman, Jones and especially Carrey are gloriously cartoonish (and much like Thurman, Carrey's clearly channeling a star from an earlier generation, in his case Frank Gorshin) and I think Kilmer gets a bad rap for having to be the stoic eye at the heart of the storm.

Batman & Robin has a lot of the same elements, but the third act in particular is just far too long. The bits people enjoy there are about 40% of the actual picture, and the rest of the time you're just bored.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jamesman posted:

Also rewatching that part of the movie made me feel like Rashida Jones could be a good Lois Lane. Too bad she's a lovely person.
What's wrong with her??

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

What's wrong with her??

She made a documentary and then series on sex work for Netflix that uses content without permission and doxxes the performers portrayed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like Batman Forever even though I wish they'd cast someone else as Two-Face and I'm not wild about B&R but I'd absolutely watch it before Returns again

Forever and B&R at least absolutely know what kind of movie they are, Returns isn't even sure what's happening in it much less a tone or consistent characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Forever and B&R at least absolutely know what kind of movie they are, Returns isn't even sure what's happening in it much less a tone or consistent characters
That's its charm!

WB was like "okay Tim we've got three plot ideas for you, you can either do a grounded take on Batman fighting corporate corruption, some sadomasochistic poo poo with Catwoman, or a totally campy revamp of one of the silliest Batman '66 episodes" and Burton was only like, half-listening, this is what I choose to believe.