Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

It is crazy the talent that got honed in IWA. Every early card I see from them read's like The Indies' Who's Who of the 00's. The women too, of course. Didn't Prazak start SHIMMER because he saw them come through IWA-MS and was like 'hey, there's enough women wrestlers to run a promotion?'

I think the really crazy one is who went through the CZW school under DJ Hyde. It's a who's who of mainstream main eventers now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ian was hitting people up for money at JC Bailey's funeral so gently caress him too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think Ian Rotten paid wrestlers like JC Bailey in pills. You know, wrestlers who had addiction issues.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

It is crazy the talent that got honed in IWA. Every early card I see from them read's like The Indies' Who's Who of the 00's. The women too, of course. Didn't Prazak start SHIMMER because he saw them come through IWA-MS and was like 'hey, there's enough women wrestlers to run a promotion?'
Sort of. Mickie Knuckles came through the IWA school and needed opponents, especially in an era where you couldn't just throw an intergender match on an indie show without anyone blinking. So Lacey and Rain were brought back into the mix, Daizee Haze and Ms. Chif would come in from St. Louis, etc. Then, one day, Prazak suggested to Ian that they book some of the non-Mickie women against each other on shows Mickie wasn't working. It got over, so they kept doing it. Their women's division became prominent enough that this all led to Prazak booking IWAMS's first (almost) all-women's show, Volcano Girls, which was, IIRC, a critical success that sold really well on DVD.

I forget when Shimmer was originally announced—the first show was 18 months after Volcano Girls—but it deepened Prazak's relationship with ROH because they were the DVD distributor at the start. If I'm parsing results right, Prazak and Whitmer quit IWAMS in August 2005, about 3 months before Shimmer's first show. (I misremembered earlier; Jacobs stuck around.) But Volcano Girls was absolutely a proof of concept, even if informally.

Being able to launch a domestic women's promotion that could be used to develop talent so they wouldn't be stuck always wrestling the same opponents had been a goal of Dave's for quite a while. He was at least an informal adviser to Kiryoku Pro, the VERY short-lived women's spinoff of Chikara Pro in its early days, which was run by his friend Joanne Starer, Mike Quackenbush's then-girlfriend. It never really got off the ground for a number of reasons, the most obvious of which was the debut show being completely gutted by outright no-shows as well as short-notice pull-outs. But you can see the DNA of Shimmer and its ethos in the matches that went off as scheduled on the first show, most notablyhe the main event of Sumie Sakai vs. Little Jeanne. Sumie had just come to the U.S. for what was assumed to be an extended working vacation (she stayed for good), but was based in New England and had been wrestling Mercedes Martinez exclusively. (Martinez almost exclusively worked with Trinity Campbell as her main opponent before that.) Joanne, wanting a different match, put Sumie in with Jeanne instead, while Martinez worked with Lexie Fyfe.

All of that said: I distinctly remember Chikara selling the tape of the debut show for an unusually low price by 2002 indie wrestling standards, especially since early, self-produced, pre-Smart Mark Video affiliation Chikara actually made an effort with packaging. It might have been $8? Maybe even less? There was absolutely a concern that fans wouldn't pay for a women's show, and that may have even been a pre-order price before the show actually took place. Because it was so early in the era of indies being able to sell tapes/DVDs reliably, I presume that they just didn't know yet that, between "regular" fans and fetish-oriented fans, women's wrestling videos might actually be the easiest sell in indie wrestling. When Shimmer Vol. 1 was released, it quickly became the fastest-selling DVD in the history of ROH other than Joe vs. Kobashi, IIRC.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 16, 2021

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I got real confused at the end of the last page when I thought people were talking about Ian Riccaboni. I don’t know why I thought this.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jim Cornette did not get and then very promptly lose "that shoot job at the Taco Bell" and as such is significantly less funny than Ian

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Charlie Haas has now earned his place in the Cornhole.

https://twitter.com/WrestlingMark8/status/1371674152990613506?s=20

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Vandar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR05qLcWabE

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Who the gently caress is Charlie Haas?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

He sucked.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gonzo McFee posted:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
rEsPeCt Ur ElDeRs

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Vandar posted:

I wonder whose choice it was for KoW to drop the titles to Haas/Benjamin

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vandar posted:

So...we can write off everyone invoking the Lashley stuff as racists, right? I legit don't see what that has to do with anything past them trying to go "lol, u got cucked by a black guy."

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
A quick glance at wikipedia shows that Haas was at OVW while Cornette was running it.
edit: my insinuation of this being "Did Charlie Haas gently caress Cornette's wife? while Jim watched?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Isn’t Charlie Haas a notoriously unpleasant person to work with on top of the racism?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yes. He's a roid rage rear end in a top hat who is no longer relevant or employed in the industry. Kind of a trend popping up among the people who support Cornette.

Also, not that I'm defending anyone, but Ian Rotten probably wouldn't run and hide and call the cops at a convention when Santino was looking for him after riling a bunch of poo poo up.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

Isn’t Charlie Haas a notoriously unpleasant person to work with on top of the racism?

I vaguely remember that being the case when he was in ROH.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Not sure what you guys mean, Haas hasn't got an ounce of ring rust on him

https://twitter.com/naturalbornheel/status/1371928706260856833

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Tato posted:

Also, not that I'm defending anyone, but Ian Rotten probably wouldn't run and hide and call the cops at a convention when Santino was looking for him after riling a bunch of poo poo up.
That's a bad example because he was clearly trying to bait Jim into a physical confrontation. I can't really blame him for his reaction to Santino there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mob posted:

jesus christ

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hey, I'm sure Shelton looks just as rough, those guys were from a long time ago...

Wait hang on I'm getting a note here that shelton is still in incredible shape and is doing main event angles on national tv instead of... that

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Uh, is that really him? Holy poo poo

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

davidbix posted:

That's a bad example because he was clearly trying to bait Jim into a physical confrontation. I can't really blame him for his reaction to Santino there.

I mean if the dude didn't want a confrontation he shouldn't have slapped Santino at their shared workplace and then bragged about it in numerous shoots like Santino was the rear end in a top hat.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
addiction: it’s not good

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Tato posted:

Uh, is that really him? Holy poo poo

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1214357-charlie-haas-returns-pro-wrestling-brand-new-look

That's a texas sized 10-4.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Meth addicts probably make up a decent portion of Cornette's fan base

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Looks like Shawn Michaels got on crack

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Critical posted:

I mean if the dude didn't want a confrontation he shouldn't have slapped Santino at their shared workplace and then bragged about it in numerous shoots like Santino was the rear end in a top hat.
Well, no, of course he shouldn't have.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Critical posted:

Yeah I'm gonna second the motion. Talk poo poo, get hit.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Haas looks like what would happen if you tried to sculpt Tom Lawlor out of spam.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I liked Charlie Haas when he was in WWE.

I liked his teaming with Shelton and Angle. I even liked the short run he had where he would mimic a different famous wrestler each week in a squash match.

I feel bad now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mob posted:

charlie's horse cut with raw

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol so making fun of cornette’s fetishes is not okay but making a bunch of druggie jokes is, got it

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'll make fun of both I am not constrained by manmade internet laws

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Remember, Cornette booked Haas and Benjamin beating The Briscoe Brothers using the old 80s gimmick of an "ether" soaked rag. ROH fans poo poo all over it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Who's going to bite the bullet and put up with Corncob for an hour?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Vandar posted:

Who's going to bite the bullet and put up with Corncob for an hour?

:twisted:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I did this for you.

Cornette begins by gleefully announcing he's "done it again!', brags about trending on twitter which I doubt is true. He says he wants to have the most people ever blocked on twitter, he stammers "because..it's fun." He is really pathetic. He says Miro threatened him with "either physical or sexual assault, i'm not sure". He spends a lot of time talking about Hannah Barbara cartoons. He uses the term "cum dumpster" then immediately says his head is "not in the gutter" like others. He keeps calling Penelope "Slut". Alright I made it 8 minutes I can't do it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jim who only took part the classiest of angles like how I was reminded he was in a feud with Jimmy Valiant and Ronnie Garvin in drag.