Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Not gonna lie, I love that Binah didn't have a breakdown or needed help dealing with past trauma. No, she just decided to get up off her rear end and try to crush L Corp again. After all if you can't get past her, why even bother trying? The eye facing the fear, breaking the cycle indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Also now she's along for the ride purely because she might get to see more murderin'.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

She's added another interest to her sociopathic agenda. Now she is enticed by murder, tea, and A.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Makes her retroactively a bit of a tool in her earlier appearances though. Why bother with all the cryptic nonsense and "you must prove yourself by besting me" if you're just going to go mask-off and admit "I'm really only in this because it gave me a socially acceptable outlet for my desire to see people hurt and killed"?

goblin week posted:

The H Corp stood for "homophobic" so it's ok that Binah beat them up
Actually, it was HRT Corporation because Binah is a reactionary.

Nothing will ever be more boring than scientists playing God & inventing new electronic life unbound by biology, and then using that power to reproduce human neuroses.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 15, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Makes her retroactively a bit of a tool in her earlier appearances though. Why bother with all the cryptic nonsense and "you must prove yourself by besting me" if you're just going to go mask-off and admit "I'm really only in this because it gave me a socially acceptable outlet for my desire to see people hurt and killed"?

Gothy monologues are their own reward.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TeeQueue posted:

The size here is for dramatic emphasis is all.

She couldn’t resist, huh.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So now that we know the last department is called "Architecture", I guess it would make sense that whoever is in charge there is the one who designed this place. Except that kind of raises some obvious questions.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Maybe we are the original body of A who actually gets mind wiped, and original A put himself into a boxbot that we have to face off against. A final test of X having changed, a literal overcoming of the original A.

A seems crazy enough to have come up with a plan like that.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Yeah, Keter being A himself is really the only thing that makes sense at this point. Thematically it's obvious that the final confrontation would be with ourself, and I'm sure we'll get some :techno: justification for how it works.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Agreed, there aren't a lot of sensible candidates for the seraph of architecture left. The fact that "architecture" controls the structure and function of this place makes boxbot-A the obvious choice: X having to surpass and defeat his old self and old mistakes seems like the whole reason this place was built.

Though I'm still not totally willing to dismiss the theory that this is some sort of Identity/The Cell bit and of all these events since we clicked start are actually happening in X's subconscious while he's under the influence of cogito.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's what I figured too. Plus Hokma saying the records were expunged by someone with higher authority and Angela denying it (assuming she isn't lying) doesn't really leave very many suspects.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Also, "Architecture" starts with an "A",

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

While it wouldn't work at all in the actual game itself, given the narrative in this LP it would make a lot of sense for the last boxbot fight to be straight up against X, who tries to kill us (himself) because he is (probably) an AI and this is a video game. All of the employees would need to handle a day starting with no manager input and ending with actively malicious manager input.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It'd be cool if the final suppression was some meta thing where there was an opposing mouse cursor issuing adversarial in-game commands like telling agents to work anomalies that would kill them, dispersing them away from breaches and ordeals, etc.

I think it'd be really really hard to actually implement and is unlikely, but it would be a neat extension of some of the other suppression mechanics we've seen.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Until we got to the suppressions that disabled pausing and time management, I would have dismissed that as too much assholery even for this game, but now I'm not so sure.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Getting into this and reading the LP from the top has been a delightful way to spend these last two days. This thread has been loving amazing.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Until we got to the suppressions that disabled pausing and time management, I would have dismissed that as too much assholery even for this game, but now I'm not so sure.

Oh buddy, if only you knew what lie ahead.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

King of Bleh posted:

It'd be cool if the final suppression was some meta thing where there was an opposing mouse cursor issuing adversarial in-game commands like telling agents to work anomalies that would kill them, dispersing them away from breaches and ordeals, etc.

I think it'd be really really hard to actually implement and is unlikely, but it would be a neat extension of some of the other suppression mechanics we've seen.

Unrelated to LobCorp but it's a fun moment in Okami when this happens. Just pausing the game to do some celestial brushing as you usually do then oh hey there's a second paintbrush wait what

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I never really got to see the other brush, in part because I was playing the Switch version (which lets you use the touchscreen for the brush controls).

Incidentally, if you’ve never played Okami, the Switch is the platform it was made for. They just didn’t know it yet.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Quackles posted:

I never really got to see the other brush, in part because I was playing the Switch version (which lets you use the touchscreen for the brush controls).

Incidentally, if you’ve never played Okami, the Switch is the platform it was made for. They just didn’t know it yet.

I played it on the Wii, and the brush controls for that were usually smooth as butter. You had to purposefully go slow to see the enemy brush it was so fast and intuitive.

Now the WEAPONS were another story, it was beads or nothing for me because they were the only ones you could easily do the full combo with, but I was still happy.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

I mean Binah is a tool and a sociopath, she is the loyal foot soldier of a comically evil bureaucratic corporate plutocracy. The cryptic nonsense is there because she likes loving with people.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If you're basically stuck being basically a midwife for abnormalities for god knows how long, you come up with ways to keep yourself amused.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

golden bubble posted:

She's added another interest to her sociopathic agenda. Now she is enticed by murder, tea, and A.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Also now she's along for the ride purely because she might get to see more murderin'.

Evil Kit posted:

Not gonna lie, I love that Binah didn't have a breakdown or needed help dealing with past trauma. No, she just decided to get up off her rear end and try to crush L Corp again. After all if you can't get past her, why even bother trying? The eye facing the fear, breaking the cycle indeed.

This sounds like something out of an odd manga similar to "I wanted to die so I tried to get a yandere girlfriend" and yes there is a manga called that.
So who do you think is on the list for "best boxbot girl" and why?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SugarAddict posted:

This sounds like something out of an odd manga similar to "I wanted to die so I tried to get a yandere girlfriend" and yes there is a manga called that.

Hokma best boxbot because he’s clearly already in love with A/X. Personal favourite is Geburah because cool mature fight lady.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
It's messed up that Binah's boxbot form doesn't have the spooky earring. A's cruelty truly knows no bounds.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I went ahead and added the last normal Ordeal to the Ordeals section.

quote:

Arrival: The tower is touched by the sky, and it will leave nothing on the earth.
Defeat: Who pays for the suffering and neglect of the lives given to us?

Outside of that Tiphereth video I linked in 41-gameplay again again, it never came out to play. :eng99:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Hokma best boxbot because he’s clearly already in love with A/X. Personal favourite is Geburah because cool mature fight lady.
Yesod, because he cares even for the clerks. But really Netzach, because the only rational response to working at LobCorp is getting cosmonaut high and never coming down.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

SugarAddict posted:

Obviously Tipheret: the only competent worker¹ in L Corp.

¹: according to data provided by Tiphereth.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TeeQueue posted:

I went ahead and added the last normal Ordeal to the Ordeals section.

Outside of that Tiphereth video I linked in 41-gameplay again again, it never came out to play. :eng99:

Green midnight is such a weird thing because it essentially requires abusing the weirdness of room transitions to survive (specifically, the fact that elevators are an instant teleport). A lot of the stuff in the game does tend to be easier by abusing janky mechanics but I feel like green midnight is the only thing that explicitly requires them.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Green midnight is such a weird thing because it essentially requires abusing the weirdness of room transitions to survive (specifically, the fact that elevators are an instant teleport). A lot of the stuff in the game does tend to be easier by abusing janky mechanics but I feel like green midnight is the only thing that explicitly requires them.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me at all if Lobotomy Corp used W Corp teleportation in their elevators.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can just have enough firepower to kill Green Midnight before it completes even half of revolution. Just do not forget to gather your deathball in Safety and not in Training.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You don't need to use elevators if everyone starts in the correct position and kills the machine before the beam makes a rotation.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I haven't played the game at all but it also seems from the numbers like you could just use a shield bullet and run through the laser? A couple ticks of 12-20 black damage doesn't seem like the most fatal thing we've seen.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

King of Bleh posted:

I haven't played the game at all but it also seems from the numbers like you could just use a shield bullet and run through the laser? A couple ticks of 12-20 black damage doesn't seem like the most fatal thing we've seen.

It is at the rate of 0.2 sec and does not stop at any point. That really adds up

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
plus if you're in the same room as the emitter, which is the only way to actually kill it, you're covered by a huge sweep of the laser's rotation

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
In terms of raw numbers the damage doesn't look too bad but it's really not survivable unless you have max health/SP and top of the line armor. The laser significantly slows down any agent that gets hit, I think this happens for most damage events in this game but it's particularly noticeable in this case, and hits extremely quickly to boot; for reference, the first time I fought it one of my agents had 100 hit points and was equipped with a HE-level armor with .8 black resistance which equals out to neutral damage, and they died in a little over a second of being in the beam.

Also, it's not entirely obvious just from the image but the actual hitbox is much smaller than you'd think, and the upper laser comes right out of it meaning that any weapon with short or very short range can't hit the thing without standing in the laser and subsequently melting.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's still imho the easiest of the Midnights, but it will eat half your faculty if you get careless.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Gold Rush is actually really bad for Green Midnight. Due to the extremely short range, I had agents die to the laser while it was still mostly vertical.

Green Midnight is weird for making the elevator trick completely necessary, when before it's simply a neat trick.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah anything with a range listed as "very short" like Gold Rush can't actually hit the machine from far enough away to not be inside the origin point of the laser. Despite the large size of the machine they can only attack the exact center point of it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Dareon posted:

Cowouldn't help nowoticing yowour bucket-wucket fwom acwoss the faciwity

I award you zero points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
My goodness. Even when cheesing the battle feels so god dang EPIC. Can't wait to hit this battle in my own playthrough.