Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Ungratek posted:

Est. payments used to go on Schedule 3, and I'm guessing they haven't updated all their literature yet.

Oh, mystery solved then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Hypothetically, if I buy one stock of GME tomorrow, and then sell it on Friday for $1 million dollars, and then take that million and put it all in AMC, and then next month the price of AMC drops a lot and I sell all that AMC for $1, will I have a big tax bill, or will the loss on AMC cancel out the gain in GME?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In your scenario are you leaving the money in the brokerage account, or parking it in a savings account between trades

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don’t see anything that could go wrong with that plan.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

human garbage bag posted:

Hypothetically, if I buy one stock of GME tomorrow, and then sell it on Friday for $1 million dollars, and then take that million and put it all in AMC, and then next month the price of AMC drops a lot and I sell all that AMC for $1, will I have a big tax bill, or will the loss on AMC cancel out the gain in GME?

So is your schtick to just drop into various threads and ask vague questions that show a complete and total lack of having put forth any effort at all to use google to find an answer?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Capital gains and losses are generally netted out when you do your taxes in the US.

There’s probably an edge case, this is not tax advice, etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

If you do it on Dec 31 and Jan 1 then you get both a huge tax bill and a comical loss carryover.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

In your scenario are you leaving the money in the brokerage account, or parking it in a savings account between trades

I plan to just keep it in my brokerage account. I want to know if it's safe for me to play around with $1000 investing in meme stocks with the worst case scenario being that I just lose the $1000.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I plan to just keep it in my brokerage account. I want to know if it's safe for me to play around with $1000 investing in meme stocks with the worst case scenario being that I just lose the $1000.

Do not cross the calendar year boundary and it should all wash out. End up with $1001 you owe taxes on that dollar, end up with $999 you get to write off the dollar. There are limits to the writeoffs.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Wild "1099-B" appeared! "1099-B" uses "Wash Sale". It's super effective!

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Residency Evil posted:

Question: my parents did not get a stimulus check in 2020. I was under the impression that they'd be eligible to get an extra refund back on their taxes. My dad is saying that's true, however their income was significantly higher in 2020 versus 2019, right around the phaseout. Apparently rather than the extra stimulus refund being based on 2019 taxes, it's being based on his 2020 AGI, which results in a significantly lower amount. Is that the case?
Yes. Even though the stimulus payments would have been based on prior year info, the Recovery Rebate Credit is calculated using the 2020 information so in this case your parents may get less of an RRC that the stimulus payments would have been.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Peyote Panda posted:

Yes. Even though the stimulus payments would have been based on prior year info, the Recovery Rebate Credit is calculated using the 2020 information so in this case your parents may get less of an RRC that the stimulus payments would have been.

Thanks. Presumably there's no way for them to get the check they should have gotten in 2020?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks. Presumably there's no way for them to get the check they should have gotten in 2020?
Unfortunately no. The IRS isn't reissuing stimulus payments at this point, just advising anyone who didn't receive one to reconcile it with the Recovery Rebate Credit on the 2020 return.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Harveygod posted:

The child credit for 2021 was expanded to $3,000, but it's $3,600 for a child "under 6".

What if a child turns 6 during the year? Does it go by their age on December 31, 2021? I'm assuming yes which means my son hosed up by having his 6th birthday recently. :argh:

Most other age-based credits rely on the age on Dec 31st so yeah your kid just cost you $600 plus whatever you spent on his birthday. My youngest turns 6 on Dec. 27th :aargh:

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
So by what date do we have to get our 2020 tax returns filed for the stimulus consideration? In 2019 I made too much, but then lost my job for 2020 and would qualify; as I understand it if my return isn't filed in time I'm SOL and there's no way to fix it after the fact?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Man I just had my 1 hour interview with a tax prep professional and it feels good to finally give this poo poo to someone who knows what they're doing. He clearly knew his stuff and asked all the right questions. Our poo poo got complicated this year and I'm tired of sweating whether or not I'm doing it right.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

PageMaster posted:

So by what date do we have to get our 2020 tax returns filed for the stimulus consideration? In 2019 I made too much, but then lost my job for 2020 and would qualify; as I understand it if my return isn't filed in time I'm SOL and there's no way to fix it after the fact?
Just to make sure I'm following your question correctly, you didn't get either stimulus payment so you want to file your 2020 return to get the credit, right? No problem, just file the 2020 return (you can still file even if you don't have a filing requirement) and claim the Recovery Rebate Credit to get the payments. If you're expecting a refund your only real restriction is that you want to file within 3 years of the due date to get the credit.

You might be conflating that with the fact that you can't file an original or amended 2019 return to get the stimulus payments, but that's just because the IRS is no longer issuing those first payments as stimulus checks any longer, they're now being handled as part of the Recovery Rebate Credit on the 2020 return instead. And those credit calculations will use your 2020 income so as you described it you're more likely to be eligible than you were previously when it was using the earlier year info.

Does that make sense?

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Peyote Panda posted:

Just to make sure I'm following your question correctly, you didn't get either stimulus payment so you want to file your 2020 return to get the credit, right? No problem, just file the 2020 return (you can still file even if you don't have a filing requirement) and claim the Recovery Rebate Credit to get the payments. If you're expecting a refund your only real restriction is that you want to file within 3 years of the due date to get the credit.

You might be conflating that with the fact that you can't file an original or amended 2019 return to get the stimulus payments, but that's just because the IRS is no longer issuing those first payments as stimulus checks any longer, they're now being handled as part of the Recovery Rebate Credit on the 2020 return instead. And those credit calculations will use your 2020 income so as you described it you're more likely to be eligible than you were previously when it was using the earlier year info.

Does that make sense?

I think they’re referring to the upcoming $1400 payments.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Peyote Panda posted:

Does that make sense?

I I am taking about the new 1400 dollar stimulus (and increased child tax credit) just passed today(?). I did not qualify under my 2019 AGI when I still had a job, but I would under my 2020 AGI when I did not have a job. Unfortunately, my returns are being done by a CPA firm because of some complexities to them, but they are taking way too long and I'm worried they won't have them done in time for this round of stimulus checks.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

PageMaster posted:

I I am taking about the new 1400 dollar stimulus (and increased child tax credit) just passed today(?). I did not qualify under my 2019 AGI when I still had a job, but I would under my 2020 AGI when I did not have a job. Unfortunately, my returns are being done by a CPA firm because of some complexities to them, but they are taking way too long and I'm worried they won't have them done in time for this round of stimulus checks.
Gotcha. Since the legislation just passed there's not any guidance on how the IRS is handling that yet or if there will be opportunities for revisions for people who don't have processed 2020 returns on file when the next stimulus is issued. There should be more details on IRS.GOV once it's gotten sorted.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Peyote Panda posted:

Gotcha. Since the legislation just passed there's not any guidance on how the IRS is handling that yet or if there will be opportunities for revisions for people who don't have processed 2020 returns on file when the next stimulus is issued. There should be more details on IRS.GOV once it's gotten sorted.

Bet 10 to 1 we'll have another "recovery rebate credit" entry on 2021 to handle missed third or previous stimulus payments, to be honest.

alnilam posted:

Man I just had my 1 hour interview with a tax prep professional and it feels good to finally give this poo poo to someone who knows what they're doing. He clearly knew his stuff and asked all the right questions. Our poo poo got complicated this year and I'm tired of sweating whether or not I'm doing it right.

That is the kind of thing we're here for!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

Bet 10 to 1 we'll have another "recovery rebate credit" entry on 2021 to handle missed third or previous stimulus payments, to be honest.

That is the kind of thing we're here for!

lol didn't mean to downtalk this thread, which has been incredibly helpful to me in years past. This year it was just too much though

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
So with that whole unemployment tax thing that just passed...

My wife was on UI last year because she had the audacity to be in a real job that actually does meaningful work instead of slapping keyboards at home like me. When the exemption is granted, does that income get sliced off the top at our combined, higher marginal rate? I pray so because I owe like $5k due to not understanding how withholding works anymore.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

stellers bae posted:

So with that whole unemployment tax thing that just passed...

My wife was on UI last year because she had the audacity to be in a real job that actually does meaningful work instead of slapping keyboards at home like me. When the exemption is granted, does that income get sliced off the top at our combined, higher marginal rate? I pray so because I owe like $5k due to not understanding how withholding works anymore.
It should reduce the total income so I think that would be the case. The instructions for how to calculate this on the return have been posted by the IRS here:
https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/forms-publications/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation

Run through those steps and it should give you a better idea where things are at.

On a related note, the IRS is also asking people not to file an amended return for this subject at this time, so hopefully there will be a systemic fix for the already filed returns with unemployment income.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Very odd that both Married and Single taxpayers have the same income limit of $150,000. I was expecting it to be $75K Single, $150K MFJ.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Also odd that it completely cliffs at $150,000

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
New and exciting ideas from the ITIN department of the IRS! Apparently if you tell people to renew their ITINs before the end of 2020, when they can send the W-7 in without a return, and your department is bad at answering your mail that you don't get to it until months later, you should send back a rejection because they "didn't include a tax return", like they're somehow stupid for not being psychic and predicting you would be completely unable to work out when your mail was received! So now I'm re-filing tons of ITIN applications from scratch with returns, which they will probably take another five - six months to get to, assuming the idiots don't claim "not filed with a tax return" again when it WAS in the first place and apparently the IRS just tossed the return on the floor like animals I guess, their other common genius move lately. Even for the IRS's current state this is getting absurd. Did Texas's little complete power system destruction fry their records in Austin or something? I am too drat tired and busy to also be wrestling with this crap and upset clients... :bang:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So is the IRS pretty promptly issuing refunds this year, or is it like last year where a lot of people had to wait several weeks for their refunds?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

So is the IRS pretty promptly issuing refunds this year, or is it like last year where a lot of people had to wait several weeks for their refunds?

I got mine about a week after I efiled from free file fillable forms.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I've got a tax question. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Let's say, for the sake of round numbers, I have contributed $70k to a Roth 401(k) over the last 7 years. The account is now valued at $100k. My employer changes due to a corporate buy-out and I roll over the Roth 401(k) via trustee-to-trustee transfer to my own Roth IRA that I opened on the date of the transfer. How much can I withdraw penalty free next week to use as a down payment on a house? $70k, $100k, or $0?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Dik Hz posted:

I've got a tax question. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Let's say, for the sake of round numbers, I have contributed $70k to a Roth 401(k) over the last 7 years. The account is now valued at $100k. My employer changes due to a corporate buy-out and I roll over the Roth 401(k) via trustee-to-trustee transfer to my own Roth IRA that I opened on the date of the transfer. How much can I withdraw penalty free next week to use as a down payment on a house? $70k, $100k, or $0?

Someone else can make correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be $70k, the value of your contributions since your Roth IRA, being opened on the date of the transfer, does not meet the five year rule for qualified withdrawal of earnings. If you had an existing Roth IRA that had already been opened for over 5 years and you had roll it over to there, then the answer would be $100k.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Wanna thank the people recommending credit karma's tax file.

Way easier than H&R blocks, was free, and when I had a question (on answering the tax questions, not how their site works) they answered their chat right away, and actually answered the question.

Unlike H&R block who basically always goes "GIVE US MORE MONEY TO TALK TO A PROFESSIONAL"

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Wow, no fuckin' way. My wife and I earn barely over the $150k limit for not having her UI taxed. Also I was """covered""" by a retirement plan for three months of the year last year so I can't reduce MAGI with an IRA contribution. drat.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Wanna thank the people recommending credit karma's tax file.

Way easier than H&R blocks, was free, and when I had a question (on answering the tax questions, not how their site works) they answered their chat right away, and actually answered the question.

Unlike H&R block who basically always goes "GIVE US MORE MONEY TO TALK TO A PROFESSIONAL"

The one time I used them they made two errors. The one I caught they refused to admit was wrong so I couldn’t fix it. The other one was caught by the state, but thankfully it was just failing to claim a credit, so there were no penalties.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Tax Day for individuals extended to May 17: Treasury, IRS extend filing and payment deadline

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

How am I supposed to approach reviewing draft returns that a CPA has prepared for me?

I hired a CPA for the first time because my tax situation has gotten far too complicated for me. Specifically federal employee income in Puerto Rico and rental income elsewhere, so PR, US, and a state return. PR tax law seems quite different, and I don't understand a lot of the calculations going on in the draft returns, especially with regard to the interplay of PR/US taxes and the corresponding foreign income tax credits, etc.

But how am I really reviewing anything if it's beyond my understanding? That's why I paid for a CPA in the first place. I've looked through it line by line, checked that there isn't missing income or anything bizarre on it's face. What is the CPA's obligation vs. my own?

I did have questions about how the CPA is calculating depreciation on the rental property. It looked like a large deduction, and it seems like he took a number from the county assessor that includes both building and land. A few hours of googling has brought me up to speed enough to know that it's supposed to be just the building. I'm inquiring with him about whether it's correct, but the potential issue makes me nervous.

If a CPA hypothetically screws something up on my return, like used the wrong cost basis for depreciation, does the IRS still drop the hammer on me just the same? Short of hiring a second CPA to double check the first or teaching myself the relevant tax laws, I don't know what I don't know.

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
My return was accepted on 2/21 but I haven't received my refund yet. The website says it’s processing. I made more money in 2020 than 2019 so I shouldn’t have been eligible for the full 1400 stimulus but I got it all today. Is it normal to wait almost five weeks for a refund, and will they deduct the extra stimulus from future returns? Thanks!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Thesaurus posted:

How am I supposed to approach reviewing draft returns that a CPA has prepared for me?

I hired a CPA for the first time because my tax situation has gotten far too complicated for me. Specifically federal employee income in Puerto Rico and rental income elsewhere, so PR, US, and a state return. PR tax law seems quite different, and I don't understand a lot of the calculations going on in the draft returns, especially with regard to the interplay of PR/US taxes and the corresponding foreign income tax credits, etc.

But how am I really reviewing anything if it's beyond my understanding? That's why I paid for a CPA in the first place. I've looked through it line by line, checked that there isn't missing income or anything bizarre on it's face. What is the CPA's obligation vs. my own?

I did have questions about how the CPA is calculating depreciation on the rental property. It looked like a large deduction, and it seems like he took a number from the county assessor that includes both building and land. A few hours of googling has brought me up to speed enough to know that it's supposed to be just the building. I'm inquiring with him about whether it's correct, but the potential issue makes me nervous.

If a CPA hypothetically screws something up on my return, like used the wrong cost basis for depreciation, does the IRS still drop the hammer on me just the same? Short of hiring a second CPA to double check the first or teaching myself the relevant tax laws, I don't know what I don't know.

The rental depreciation sounds weird to me. He should have been getting the cost basis from you, not the assessor unless you have no idea what the cost basis because you inherited it or something. Land does not get depreciated, but you do need to show it on the return. The depreciation should be the value divided by 27.5 years if residential or 39 if commercial. I mean, if you made some major improvements this year he may be taking bonus depreciation but I would usually ask you if you want to elect it or not if you were my client.

The IRS will drop the hammer on you, but if the CPA is committing fraud they may also go after them. You'll still be on the hook for tax and interest but maybe be able to argue away penalties.

Did you talk to the CPA before you gave them your stuff? Did you vibe with them? You should be able to talk to them about your reservations without getting a major runaround. Just a minor runaround since it is deep in tax season and dude prolly has billions of things on his plate right now.

Amanda Huggensuck posted:

My return was accepted on 2/21 but I haven't received my refund yet. The website says it’s processing. I made more money in 2020 than 2019 so I shouldn’t have been eligible for the full 1400 stimulus but I got it all today. Is it normal to wait almost five weeks for a refund, and will they deduct the extra stimulus from future returns? Thanks!

The average wait time for refunds is 2 to 3 weeks, but there are plenty of reasons you may have to wait longer and they're not all bad. Usually the reason is "who knows" and you just eventually get it. Go on the IRS website and use their "Where's My Refund?" tool to see if you can get an update. The extra stimulus you got should be yours to keep if they keep the no clawback rule. You got lucky, congrats.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Obviously most people just go, “looks good to me.” Or “I see I forgot to mention something to you.” Don’t really think it’s about checking their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

The rental depreciation sounds weird to me. He should have been getting the cost basis from you, not the assessor unless you have no idea what the cost basis because you inherited it or something. Land does not get depreciated, but you do need to show it on the return. The depreciation should be the value divided by 27.5 years if residential or 39 if commercial. I mean, if you made some major improvements this year he may be taking bonus depreciation but I would usually ask you if you want to elect it or not if you were my client.

The IRS will drop the hammer on you, but if the CPA is committing fraud they may also go after them. You'll still be on the hook for tax and interest but maybe be able to argue away penalties.

Did you talk to the CPA before you gave them your stuff? Did you vibe with them? You should be able to talk to them about your reservations without getting a major runaround. Just a minor runaround since it is deep in tax season and dude prolly has billions of things on his plate right now.

Thanks. I'll guess I'll just bug the CPA more about the issue if he doesn't give me a proper explanation.

The property was converted into a rental two years ago after I lived there as a primary residence for five years. Is the cost basis based on my original purchase or value at the time it became a rental? How would I go about figuring out the cost basis for the building? Is the tax assessment value not relevant?

I talked to the CPA briefly by phone last year when I first hired him, and it's just email since then. The call was a pretty basic discussion of my situation. I wouldn't say we "vibed." We've never discussed details of the rental, other than me just sending him the info I have on my expenses.