Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Washin Tong posted:

Kinda late to this but I kinda have to disagree, I think the health ticking down constantly is actually brilliant, and here's why:

1. It encourages you prepare for a challenge and just go out and play the game.
2. It discourages you from obsessing over an optimal Max HP value, sure you can aim for a minmaxed calculated HP value with a specific food combination, but it's not going to be there anymore in 5 seconds so you learn to forget about it and just use the health that you have.

If it didn't tick down then OCD players like us are just going to do unfun poo poo like farm until you have a gigantic supply of the best food combination for your stage in the game and focus on NUMBERS which is really not the point.

If you're going to get wood or explore you eat whatever cheap crap you have, if you need stamina you eat that kind of food, if you're going for a boss or a tough area you get your best stuff, and that's as deep as your thought process goes, because that's as deep as it needs to be.

Just let go and stop thinking about the max value so much, it will set you free.

Or, just mod it away, that is also cool.

Honestly I can live with the HP dropping, it's only a minor annoyance. Although I'm still using troll armor in the mountains, so maybe I'm not a good judge of the value of HP. :v: It's really the stamina bar fluctuating so wildly that drives me up the wall. I could see the reasoning for it related to combat, but the ratio of combat to everything else in this game is really low. You might spend 5-10 minutes combined worth of combat on a mining trip for iron or silver, compared to an hour or more of picking away at rocks and ore. Having to stop mining every few seconds to wait for a bar to go up isn't making the game more fun. Also using the hoe or the cultivator drains your stamina very quickly. And outside of some silly hoe gimmicks, there's not a lot of situations that you'd be using them anywhere near combat. So it just becomes more pointlessly waiting for a bar to fill up.

Almost wish the game had an in-combat/out-of-combat system like some others do, and being out of combat gave you a passive 500% stam regen so you could just get on with your simple dead viking home improvement projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
So I tried Valheim out for a bit and really loved the feel and building. I'm about to start playing multiplayer with my girlfriend - we want to build a dope looking viking village together. Am I going to be disappointed with that though in the end? Like is it just going to be a bunch of empty houses with nothing in them? Or are there a bunch of like, production "stations" or tools that can go in them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's enough upgrades to fill out a decent sized fort but you're not going to be building fully furnished towns.

The full set of upgrades for the two main workstations take up a surprising amount of room.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Darius099 posted:

So I tried Valheim out for a bit and really loved the feel and building. I'm about to start playing multiplayer with my girlfriend - we want to build a dope looking viking village together. Am I going to be disappointed with that though in the end? Like is it just going to be a bunch of empty houses with nothing in them? Or are there a bunch of like, production "stations" or tools that can go in them?

There are. The basic crafting stations like the workbench and forge level up by building other things and placing them nearby. So you end up naturally building up crafting areas that really look like what they are. Outside of that, there are plenty of decorative sorts of furnishings which also happen to improve your rest quality when placed in your house, but they could also be used to decorate houses that you aren't actively living in. So you won't end up with just boring wooden boxes if you don't want to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

xzzy posted:

There's enough upgrades to fill out a decent sized fort but you're not going to be building fully furnished towns.

The full set of upgrades for the two main workstations take up a surprising amount of room.

Yeah I'd thought a 9x9m house would be enough for a forge/workshop combo and honestly I think I'll be running out of room soon.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Washin Tong posted:

Kinda late to this but I kinda have to disagree, I think the health ticking down constantly is actually brilliant, and here's why:

words

Or, just mod it away, that is also cool.
Starting to tick down immediately is the lovely and annoying part. Especially since you can't eat more food until the buffs are almost completely gone, it forces you to interrupt and delay certain kinds of activity. "Oh well, guess I can't go hunt wolves right now because my "good food" is just under half gone so the values it gives me are garbage and I can't eat to reset it for another 10 minutes" etc.

At the very least they should leave it maxed until the last 10-20% of its duration. But yes, mods are the answer for now.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Almost wish the game had an in-combat/out-of-combat system like some others do, and being out of combat gave you a passive 500% stam regen so you could just get on with your simple dead viking home improvement projects.
There are mods to remove stamina use on building/landscaping related activity, which are very nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EmbryoSteve posted:

Can anyone recommend a map sharing mod? I have a server and would love to be able to share maps with my buds

We use this one, which is just client-to-client:

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/42

There’s something built into ValheimPlus too, but I think it requires that people be playing when the area is revealed by someone else to get it; I haven’t tried it myself.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

xzzy posted:

The upgrades work above or below too, so I built a loft over my workstations to house them. Up through Iron, I've managed to contain them all in an 8x16 footprint. I imagine I can fit the Artisan table in there too.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

dogboy posted:

Yeah, currently working on a project that I call "Bossexpress" but I named the world "myworld" which I wanted to change because I plan on making the world files available and it sounds a little ad hoc.

So, is there a safe and easy way to create a copy of a world? I kinda want to keep a "fork" of my one map in case I decide to undo a lot of the work that we did as a group...

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

So, is there a safe and easy way to create a copy of a world? I kinda want to keep a "fork" of my one map in case I decide to undo a lot of the work that we did as a group...

You can copy the files but don't change names, which is basically the gist of it. Next step would be to figure out the database format and from there I guess we can do "things". (As I just posted in another chat imho they opted to go for a differential approach instead of a voxel approach regarding the map so this will be something more like sourcecode handling a la SVN.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can I simply toss a bunch of extra iron onto the deck of my longship ? Or pilot while encumbered with 2000 lbs?

Im working on clearing out these crypts and would rather make fewer sailing trips back

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Can I simply toss a bunch of extra iron onto the deck of my longship ? Or pilot while encumbered with 2000 lbs?

Im working on clearing out these crypts and would rather make fewer sailing trips back

Did you already fill up the storage? Longships have a built in 18-slot storage on deck

Reik fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 17, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Reik posted:

Did you already fill up the storage? Longships have a built in 18-slot storage on deck

Yeah I'm only halfway done clearing crypts and have a chest and a half full of iron already , and chests are 10 slots

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 17, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I'm only halfway done clearing crypts and have a chest and a half full of silver already , and chests are 10 slots

You could just... stop. Unless you plan on building every random item, you’re probably good

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I'm only halfway done clearing crypts and have a chest and a half full of silver already , and chests are 10 slots

drat, you farmed a lot of silver. I've seen people turn carts upside down down their ships, but you risk it going overboard in a storm.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I gotta get the iron for more iron wood beams. I'm gonna cross the plains via catwalks to planted pine trees in between pillars

Reik posted:

drat, you farmed a lot of silver. I've seen people turn carts upside down down their ships, but you risk it going overboard in a storm.

woops meant iron. Silver we built that five minute long road to haul carts down , we did get something like 600 of it and I have a few more deposits located for when I finish this iron haul

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

I gotta get the iron for more iron wood beams. I'm gonna cross the plains via catwalks to planted pine trees in between pillars

woops meant iron. Silver we built that five minute long road to haul carts down , we did get something like 600 of it and I have a few more deposits located for when I finish this iron haul

It seems like if you're going to this extreme, you should probably just turn on cheat mode and build whatever it is what you're trying to build

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Washin Tong posted:

[...]

The way it's implemented changes my habits not even a little bit. I try to make the best food I can, then I grab the 3 best foods I have on hand whenever I'm playing and slam them all down whenever they blink. I don't get what the stamina and food going down does for the game at all beyond making me think that's it's stupid. Like it doesn't even bother me that my health is low, it just made me go "oh, that's stupid" when I realized how food worked.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Re: food chat this game isn't so hard that you need to min/max stuff. If you're going to a new area then sure go for it, but once you're over the hump and can handle the mobs it's about eating the least annoying food to farm that'll get the job done.

Really wish there was a cultivator/hoe skill though.

mastershakeman posted:

AFAIK crates from busted carts and boats float, so if you're willing to risk it the best play might be either putting carts on the boat or breaking them down so the crates are loose on the ship.

Woden fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 17, 2021

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
moder base may have expanded beyond initial design stretch goals

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
This is really our fault due to how many hours we've put in this game, but I guess I'm about done with the game until new content is out. What a fantastic time it has been though.

Kinda regret killing the last boss since it's making night a bit of an annoying time for the newer folks on the server. (though really it's their fault for being so inactive on a server that we all started together at the same time)

Though what really, really puts me off with the game right now is the massive performance hit on terraformed land. It's to the point where I don't even want to spend a single second in a base that we've put so much work into just to chill out.

I've started re-creating my personal quarters on non-terraformed land but not really in the mood to finish it up at the moment. I got a bunch of other outposts I can probably upgrade and work on, but my original spot is where I really want to spend most of my time in. Really looking forward to the new content whenever that is, and hopefully performance patches.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm really liking the simple joy of clearing out a draugr village and renovating it. I put a lot of time into fixing all the houses and making them into workshops. Does anyone know if plants grow indoors? If so I may turn one of the houses into a garden.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

dogboy posted:

If you have the seed, go here http://valheim-map.world/

Oh this looks neat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

iirc neither plants nor bees like having a roof over them, but they're fine with nearby walls so long as they're not too nearby

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
A small warning I ran into last night: drowning damage due to lack of stamina is proportional of your health, not a fixed number.

I ate a blood pudding, sausage and bread, didnt wait for HP to go up to max before jumping into water to swim to my longship thinking 80hp out of 230 was WAY enough to just bruteforce drowning damage....

25 HP per tick or So drowning damage. Grave marker next to boat by my goddamn pier.

Lessons learned.jpg

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Don't swim right after eating.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

:discourse:

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

:eyepop:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Happy Odin's Day everyone.

How much terraforming is too much? I am thinking I will start only doing roads in and out of my bases, not just for performance reasons but also because making cliffside bases without terraforming looks pretty cool.

I really need to install that snapping mod so I can build support beams all the way to the ground, though, instead of having to raise the land at the end to meet them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

in a meeting i don't need to participate in at all: why yes, i am making a spreadsheet for total mats required to make a new base

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I really don't know how much terraforming is TOO much, but my home map main base is like walking through a thick cloud - everything feels every so slightly slow, and we've probably cleared the equivalent of like an acre of land and flattened it all? Hard to put a real value on it.

I vastly prefer my smaller Plains house now because of that.

On the Discord Server map, I haven't done much terraforming at all and encouraged anyone playing there to keep it to a minimum and it seems good. My house there is partially supported on one end with Core Wood Posts and I have a really cool forge/workshop building out on like a Land Pier (high enough to walk under) overlooking a steep hill. Flat land is for suckers.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've terraformed pretty extensively and it feels fine. Our main base is a sizable fort built on flat land with a big moat. Our most recent forward operating base is dug into a hillside in the plains. I don't know what more you'd need to do.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I cut down a tree and the forest fell down.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://twitter.com/chrisobrooksart/status/1371724012225708032?s=19

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ok well i'm copying this immediately

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

punishedkissinger posted:

ok well i'm copying this immediately

Yeah, I would make designs like this in Minecraft but didnt think it would be possible here.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

with reinforced iron beams you can make pretty much anything you can dream. Definitely going to build a large stone tower with other towers hanging off of it. so cool.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I might have missed this in a tutorial, but is there a way to get stuff like scraps and flint if you are stuck on a deserted island with no Meadows biome?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

start a new seed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ghostinmyshell posted:

I might have missed this in a tutorial, but is there a way to get stuff like scraps and flint if you are stuck on a deserted island with no Meadows biome?

How would you even unintentionally achieve such a situation in the first place

But yeah