Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bitterandtwisted posted:

we had a townhall meeting on corporate values that I didn't realise was compulsory until after it had started so I had nothing prepared and contributed nothing. So some fucker volunteered me to do a video presentation on what we'd learned on the theme of "passionate"

fucksake :effort:

"I am passionate about my work. That's why I've been too busy to make a presentation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrikk posted:

The latest in father-in-law IT support as transcribed from voicemail:

“Hello Agrikk, my videos are down. The green light is on but they are down. I checked and my mouse works. Maybe I need a new video card?”

This stream of consciousness brought to you by FIL.

Family tech support is the worst SLA of all.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so our "staff architect" is creating this "kubecost" service to track k8s costs. Simple webserver. the idea is that it goes outside -> IAP -> Load Balancer -> Backend k8s nodes -> ingress service -> kubecost pods.

So obviously the correct solution is to write a firewall rule that opens port 80 to every one of our k8s nodes in production.

e: oh god there's at least three firewall rules doing this exact thing kill me

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 17, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Is all of this in GCP?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Is all of this in GCP?

yes. our nodes don't have external IP addresses so it's not *quite* as bad as I feared on first blush.

but it's entirely unnecessary and it gives an open door to anyone who gets into our network, which is far from impossible. don't write fw rules ending in 0.0.0.0/0 in prod people!! This is what load balancers are for and you don't need anything other than the FW rule for the health check.

E: lol there was a forwarding rule with a public IP open to the world

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 17, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m really ignorant of GCP, is there no service you could use to suss out costs instead of rolling your own (presumably shittier) thing for it?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

i am a moron posted:

I’m really ignorant of GCP, is there no service you could use to suss out costs instead of rolling your own (presumably shittier) thing for it?

it's a open source thing

the kubernetes cost control is really besides the point though. the firewall rule was ridiculously overbroad, utterly unnecessary, and incredibly poor practice. Yes, it's only exposed to our internal network, but :lol: if you think bad actors won't compromise that at some point. I'm appalled that it was ever created in the first place.

It turns out that someone else did the exact same thing a year ago to allow cloudfunctions to talk to k8s, instead of, idk, restricting traffic to the egress IP address or something. Said cloudfunction was long dead, and one of the engineers responsible for that, was a real dick about me being concerned about this. Which I thought was really rich considering his team was the one who didn't clean it up in the first place!

ughhhh this is like the third engineer who's gotten in a dick measuring contest with me this week. gently caress off and do your job properly already! Don't freak out at me because I'm concerned about a security hole or ask you to write documentation, goddamn.

E: holy poo poo this dude literally just drops into the slack channel i made for this to write a bitchy comment saying I'm wrong, is himself wrong, then immediately leaves. i'm livid.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 17, 2021

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

E: holy poo poo this dude literally just drops into the slack channel i made for this to write a bitchy comment saying I'm wrong, is himself wrong, then immediately leaves. i'm livid.

Sounds like it's time to write a strongly worded email to him and his manager

Pissing me off: I had an interview last night and there was literally 0 chemistry between me and the 5 people from the company. That was a first for me. I'm used to the locals here being extremely poor interviewers as in "I memorize RFCs for fun and those trivia questions are the only ones I'm mentally able to ask". But this time 4 Americans were joining in and the manager just described the expectations of the role very briefly before she dropped off the call.
I didn't even ask any questions because I have 0 interest working with them, what mostly pissed me off is that I had to schedule this in the evening during my normal dinner time so I was starving all the way through.

Not pissing me off: I have like 7 other interview processes going on right now and most of the interviewers seem to be able to hold a normal conversation instead of turning it into a pubquiz with no beer.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You should have just disconnected from that shitshow panel interview.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steakandchips posted:

Normally yes, but I left my previous jobs 6 months and 3 months in because of my enormous temper so I have been trying to be civil. Instead I wrote the recruiter today that I was withdrawing because that team did meet my standards.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Sounds like it's time to write a strongly worded email to him and his manager

I was actually bothered enough by it that I complained to my manager about it. It was really funny tho like he made a bitchy comment, left *and then came back in to make another bitchy point* before leaving again. really made the whole thing pretty transparent.

come the gently caress on dude. I get it’s been a rough month with incidents and bad actors, we’re all stressed, I’m probably over sensitive. But be kind to people.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m probably over sensitive

Not really, the only proper response to passive aggressiveness is aggressive aggressiveness

edit:

Steakandchips posted:

Update, I withdrew my application and left some feedback and that did not go over well .... at all

Very angry engineer posted:

Hey, are you serious about your comment about the interview?
Seriously I am glad you withdraw your application, never wanna work with such a rude person.
You were not even able to answer our "trivial questions" , maybe more study and experience would help.
I regret ever giving you a second chance after you didn't show up the first time.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 17, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You dodged a bullet.

Leave a poo poo review on Glassdoor.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Did he email you or something? Who the gently caress does this stuff in today’s environment it’s hard enough to find people without poisoning the well like that

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i am a moron posted:

Did he email you or something? Who the gently caress does this stuff in today’s environment it’s hard enough to find people without poisoning the well like that

He emailed me directly. I just sent my feedback to the recruiter and she must have shared it with the whole interview panel. I don't particularly care but that type of response is new to me but also extremely hilarious so I just thought I'd share it to see if people had similar experiences

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sprechensiesexy posted:

He emailed me directly. I just sent my feedback to the recruiter and she must have shared it with the whole interview panel. I don't particularly care but that type of response is new to me but also extremely hilarious so I just thought I'd share it to see if people had similar experiences

Definitely worth of sharing on Glassdoor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Earlier in my career I did a interview with 9 people at the table. I was trying to get my first sysadmin title and all the sysadmins grogs in this interview were cliches at best. One guy was a total dick and I remember him to this day. His questions sucked, his attitude sucked, and he was openly rude any chance he got. He got so hostile that even I, the tadpole still forming a backbone, ended the interview a little early feigning a text from home.

I was actually sent an offer by the hiring manager the next day and I declined it as I had an offer brewing at a place I liked more. The hiring manager called me and asked why I was declining and I pointed out that I didn't want to work with the "rude guy" at the interview. He briefly apologized and said the tech was an "acquired taste".

The rear end in a top hat tech had the nerve to facebook message me telling me I needed thicker skin. I totally didn't know it though as facebook had classified it as a message request and I didn't even see it for months after the fact.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Imagine writing off workplace toxicity as the acceptable norm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Toxicity" is a relatively recent concept. Early in my career every office had people with "rough edges" one was expected to deal with. They usually had seniority or were impossible to fire due to their knowledge so anyone that had a problem was expected to deal.

Tolerance for it is dying out fast but obviously there's still holdouts.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xzzy posted:

Tolerance for it is dying out fast but obviously there's still holdouts.

Well the country I'm in is a good example. Men here are almost literally unwashed cave dwellers, no manners, no empathy, fully automatic toxicity but extremely thin skin if you throw their poo poo back at them. That dude sending me the email is the perfect example of that, I reject them and call them out on their poo poo and he has loving meltdown like a child.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Got a VXrail deployment going. It's been a struggle to say the least, but it's going. Two days ago I used the Updater to apply patches from 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 and it rebooted vCenter. When it came back up, my license wasn't applying.

I have spent two days talking to Dell support to get this resolved. Every one of them has tried to send me to the Digital Locker, but vCenter is embedded in VXrail so that's not going to work. I am at my wit's end. I've involved our entire team from Account Exec to PM. No one is useful. I hate this Dell poo poo, I should have pushed harder to get a couple servers and a SAN.

We got sold a backup appliance too that is going on 4 months of not able to be deployed because every time I send a planning document some rear end in a top hat makes a suggestion and it all starts over.

Should have just bought a bunch of supermicro boxes and rolled my own.

Never trust Dell.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Antioch posted:

Got a VXrail deployment going. It's been a struggle to say the least, but it's going. Two days ago I used the Updater to apply patches from 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 and it rebooted vCenter. When it came back up, my license wasn't applying.

I have spent two days talking to Dell support to get this resolved. Every one of them has tried to send me to the Digital Locker, but vCenter is embedded in VXrail so that's not going to work. I am at my wit's end. I've involved our entire team from Account Exec to PM. No one is useful. I hate this Dell poo poo, I should have pushed harder to get a couple servers and a SAN.

We got sold a backup appliance too that is going on 4 months of not able to be deployed because every time I send a planning document some rear end in a top hat makes a suggestion and it all starts over.

Should have just bought a bunch of supermicro boxes and rolled my own.

Never trust Dell.

drat, that sucks dude. I love my VXrail implementation but I also paid for extreme hand holding through the implementation.

e: Oh I re-read and bought dell direct. VARs make a world of diffrence....never give your money directly to Dell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

incoherent posted:

drat, that sucks dude. I love my VXrail implementation but I also paid for extreme hand holding through the implementation.

e: Oh I re-read and bought dell direct. VARs make a world of diffrence....never give your money directly to Dell.

loving Dell direct. I can't tell you the number of times I've registered a server deal with Dell just for them to immediately go behind my back and offer to sell direct to the customer for barely over what they quoted me, undercutting our bid. Eventually, we just gave up and became an all HP shop because gently caress 'em.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Wow my coworker is legit trying to get us to use two AVs on this file server because apparently more anti-viruses = more secure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Wow my coworker is legit trying to get us to use two AVs on this file server because apparently more anti-viruses = more secure.

That's why you encrypt and compress everything twice, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone just read up on the swiss cheese model.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you're Indian and your name is not Anand, Deepak, or Abishek, spell your email address when you leave a voicemail for an American, or you're not going to hear back from us.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Yikes

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I mean his phrasing is yikes but in general it just makes sense to spell an email address regardless unless there's a pre-existing working relationship already or just don't leave a voicemail, gently caress voicemail and gently caress phone calls.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t return messages unless there is already a pre-existing relationship

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean his phrasing is yikes but in general it just makes sense to spell an email address regardless unless there's a pre-existing working relationship already or just don't leave a voicemail, gently caress voicemail and gently caress phone calls.

Of course it makes sense to spell out the email address, but that does not excuse a blatantly racist post.

Plausible deniability is the bread-and-butter of casual racism. They say something that is surface-level reasonable (like "they should spell out their email address"), but the underlying thought is that the other person, by the nature of their very existence, is an inconvenience.

Let's flip this around: do any of you spell out your name for your foreign counterparts, who speak English as a second language, as a courtesy? If not, why do you think they should hold themselves to a standard that you, yourself, do not uphold?

Oh, you didn't think it was necessary? Your name is common? Well, maybe over there, Zhoomar is common! Or Thierry. Or Padmahnabaran. Whatever. (all names of people I've worked with on a daily basis)

The odds of someone deliberately throwing a wrench in the works by consciously NOT spelling out their name is, frankly, very slim.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

I don’t return messages unless there is already a pre-existing relationship

Nothing makes me pull a "really?!" face and delete messages quicker than an unsolicited calendar invite to try and sell me something

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I spell out my first and last name over the phone all the time, even for other English speakers.

However yes, bobs comment was insensitive at best, actually racist at worst and we can do better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I would give the benefit to the doubt to any poster in this thread but Bob Morales.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you're American and your name is not Rob, Ted, or Hank, spell your email address when you leave a voicemail for anyone, or you're not going to hear back from us.

Yes, looking at you Caitlynn, Sarrah, Meghann, and even you, John with an H!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I spell my name out for everyone, both my first and last names are fairly basic and common but can be spelled 2 different ways; my first name is spelled in the more common fashion, but my last name is spelled in a less common fashion, so I've just gotten used to saying 'MotherFucking James, Mother Omega Tango Hotel etc etc"

I'm avoiding the rest of the conversation because it almost feels like beating a dead horse at this point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polio Vax Scene posted:

If you're American and your name is not Rob, Ted, or Hank, spell your email address when you leave a voicemail for anyone, or you're not going to hear back from us.

Yes, looking at you Caitlynn, Sarrah, Meghann, and even you, John with an H!

Your last name is Smith? Sure that's easy.

Oh, it's pronounced Smythe you say?...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ConfusedUs posted:

Of course it makes sense to spell out the email address, but that does not excuse a blatantly racist post.

Plausible deniability is the bread-and-butter of casual racism. They say something that is surface-level reasonable (like "they should spell out their email address"), but the underlying thought is that the other person, by the nature of their very existence, is an inconvenience.

Let's flip this around: do any of you spell out your name for your foreign counterparts, who speak English as a second language, as a courtesy? If not, why do you think they should hold themselves to a standard that you, yourself, do not uphold?

Oh, you didn't think it was necessary? Your name is common? Well, maybe over there, Zhoomar is common! Or Thierry. Or Padmahnabaran. Whatever. (all names of people I've worked with on a daily basis)

The odds of someone deliberately throwing a wrench in the works by consciously NOT spelling out their name is, frankly, very slim.

Yeah that's valid, my bad. I didn't mean to diminish that his post was pretty loving racist, more just that spelling out an email address regardless is sensible.

(and yeah, in any verbal communication where I don't know the person, I absolutely spell it out just to make sure, because I appreciate it when it's done for me v:shobon:v)

Also, his post would've bounced for both of the Abhisheks I work with, so go figure.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bob Morales posted:

If you're Indian and your name is not Anand, Deepak, or Abishek, spell your email address when you leave a voicemail for an American, or you're not going to hear back from us, because we're racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

My last name is a common household object with one letter added so I always have to spell it.

That being said I also don’t leave voicemails with my email, if I need to get a hold of someone we have our emails already.

Also it’s pretty obviously racist to say ‘if you’re an Indian’ as if there aren’t a ton of name combinations out there for any number of various groups of people that folks would have a hard time guessing without someone explicitly spelling it out.